MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

Filtered by age: 25-29
MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.5

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This lipstick looked so good in pictures that I had to order it even though I was dreading the "difficulty" of applying it based on reviews. Well it is gorgeous, and I didn't find it hard to apply at all! I usually exfoliate my lips by gently rubbing them in the shower under water to get rid of flakes anyway, and I always wear lip balm under anything because my lips are always dry. I didn't have to put in any extra effort to making this go on better. It took me maybe 5-6 minutes, if that, to put on and it looks great.

The color is a bright matte pinky red that's just so effortlessly sexy. I've tried pairing it with MAC Cherry lip pencil, and it does make it look redder and deeper. Great combo! But I love wearing it by itself too. I don't feel ready to rock a true red lipstick, so this is a great alternative.

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

Such a beautiful watermelon red shade! I love it so much.

It looks kind of pink in the tube, but don't let that fool you. It's much more red and intense when you put it on. You could even probably get away with using a red liner if you don't have a matching liner.

In terms of texture, it is a DRY matte. A bit difficult to put on, but quite long-lasting once you do.

on 2/21/2015 10:03:00 PM

This is the only red I wear. The only downside is it clings to dryness. I exfoliate well and put on Chapstick before applying. Gorgeous color with my pale skin and dark hair. In love with the color and matte finish.

on 1/16/2015 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love the colour of this lipstick. It's quite bright so I would only wear it on a night out personally but it's very eye catching.

It's quite matte so like previous reviews, I'd definitely recommend some sort of conditioning of the lips prior to putting it on but it lasts hours and is very glam!

on 10/17/2014 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I consider All Fired Up a more girly version of my beloved Ruby Woo, totally eye catching. The retro matte finish is gorgeous and lasts forever but can be drying and uncomfortable. Despite that it looks so vivid and flattering it's worth the trouble. Would recommend!

on 4/4/2014 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

First, let me say this whole line of Retro Mattes are AMAZING my favorite formula ever. The wear is amazing...not only for longevity, but they wear away so perfect and even, not patchiness. Now onto the color. Its a pinky red, very bright. The color its actual closet to is NARS Luxemborg, which is one of my favorite NARS colors. Luxemborg is more glossy though, All Fired Up completely matte...of course. What I love is I can actually use the two layered to change the texture, and since the both wear amazing I don't have to worry about constant touch ups like you normally do with a bright lip! I don't find these overly drying, and this is as someone who is NOT a fan of "long wear" lip products. If you're afraid to try a "true" red, this is great color to try instead for a bright lip look. The color is super flattering and I could see it working on a variety of skin tones. It also makes your teeth look super white, and who doesn't love that!!!

on 3/20/2014 8:24:00 AM

Gorgeous colour! I use with MAC cherry lipliner and always get compliments