Bumble & Bumble Pret a Powder

No Image

3.6

Polysilicone, Zea Mays (corn) Starch, Tapioca Starch, Avena Sativa (oat) Kernal Flour, Silica, Montmorillonite

on 12/1/2016 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was not very pleased with this product. I have just-past-shoulder length wavy dark brown hair that is medium thickness but losses volume quickly. I also have psoriasis on my scalp so I cannot wash my hair more than 2 times a week as it irritates my scalp but my hair begins to look greasy on the second day after a wash. At first, I was very excited to try this as aerosol dry shampoos always left my hair feeling gross and the amount of product for the money was litlle. I had read reviews (good & bad) and decided to try my luck with this powder. I was happy-ish with this product for the first week or two after purchasing because it blended nicely, didn't smell and I still had a lot of product left but sadly, the longer I used it, the worse I felt about it. I started noticing that I needed more and more product throughout the day, like it wasn't lasting, and that it did nothing as far as 'texturizing' or add any volume. It also left a great deal of buildup, even if I had only used it one day and only sparingly on my roots.

After a month, I have decided to try other products. As the bottle is small enough, I will likely still keep it in my makeup bag for emergencies but I will not be using this as my regular go-to any longer :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Dry shampoos were just becoming a major thing when I purchased Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder. Since then, just about every hair care line has expanded its range to include a dry shampoo, but I always come back this one. First and foremost it is my favorite because of the incredible volume it gives my fine, limp hair, especially at the crown. I also love that it absorbs the excess oil from my oily scalp, letting me put off shampooing and ultimately preserving my hair color longer.

Pret a Powder is pricey, but I purchased my bottle a while ago (1 year? 2?) and it's still half full after almost daily use. Just a sprinkle at my roots does the trick. It's white and the color does show, so I sprinkle it on under the top layer of hair then gently massage in with fingers. Yes, the strong rose-violet scent is cloying and I wish Bumble and Bumble would turn the down volume on it, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Oh yay, another useless product by Bumble & bumble. This time I wasn't foolish enough to buy a full bottle out of my own pocket as I received this as a deluxe Sephora sample. I love adding texture and fullness to my naturally fine/limp hair, and I typically go for dry texturizing sprays and volumizing powders. However, I've discovered (through a lot of trial and error) that not all volumizing powders are created equal, and an expensive price tag doesn't always mean its going to be a quality product. I swear on my life I could use cornstarch and I wouldn't know the difference between that and Pret-a-Powder. The only difference is that Bumble's powder has a pleasant light fragrance that reminds me of the salon. OTHER THAN THE NICE SMELL, this stuff is basically a rip off.

on 3/22/2016 11:02:00 PM

I love this dry shampoo. It dries my oily hair and adds volume. Great for in between days. It was a gift but I will replace it for sure.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I swear I don't complain just to complain, but this product does NOT work. The label on this product says it extends the life of your blowout, adds volume, and absorbs oil. It did none of that. The only thing I liked about this product is that it fades away on my dark brown roots and doesn't look like dandruff or dusty even though the powder is white. I love dry shampoo and wanted to use one that is not in "spray" form but I will stick to my Batiste dry shampoo which costs 1/3 of this product.

On the Sephora website, this had glowing reviews but when I checked here, it was average. I should've known better to check MakeupAlley first since the reviews here are more unbiased than from Sephora.

on 2/21/2016 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This is perfumed corn starch. A nice smelling corn starch, but way overpriced. I do like how it fluffs up my hair a little. I use it right after I blow dry to give it more body and extend my blow out. It's very expensive fo what it is but I kind of like it enough to maybe try the travel size again. I would never buy the regualr size for the price, though.

on 9/19/2015 3:59:00 PM

I'm a huge fan of Bumble & Bumble products but unfortunately this dry shampoo didn't work for me at all and I had my hopes up so high especially since it claims to providing volume to hair. I have very fine hair and oily at the roots so I would need to wash it daily if dry shampoo wouldn't provide a little crutch for the day(s) in between. I have to agree with a couple of other reviews on MUA saying it definitely doesn't absorb oil and it takes away the shine from hair, it also makes them rather flat looking. Luckily I only bought the trial size which was a whopping $13.50 CAD, will return it tomorrow and go back to Batiste which is still my fave!!

on 7/29/2015 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think as dry shampoos go, this one is good. I'm just not a huge fan of dry shampoo. This is less fragrant than baby powder, but it has that kind of fresh scent. The powder is very fine, and it's lightly tinted pale peach. Once blended into the hair, you can't see it at all and you don't need to use much of it. I have blonde hair and the powder disappears into it. It's good if you overslept and realize you need to run to one appointment and don't have time to do your entire glamour routine.

But honestly, I'd rather just wash my hair. Stylists use this kind of powder for volume and for styling, bumps and beehives, and...I'd rather just wash my hair. But I think if you go camping and you're away from water, or let's say the landlord shuts off your water one morning for a plumbing issue, using this powder is better than having an oily scalp. There have been times in the past that I wished for a quick fix and now I have a dry shampoo.

I think this will last me a long time because I almost never use it. But I don't regret buying it. It is better than most of the dry shampoos I've tried. However, I think Klorane's is better.

My stylist recommended this product to me and I gave it a shot even though I've not had great luck with dry shampoos in the past. This stuff is a miracle product! I use it daily, on clean or dirty hair. It is, as it describes, both a dry shampoo and volume-booster. I use it on second-day hair for the oiler spots near my scalp and also on clean hair just to give it some added texture. It smells great and the bottle lasts forever because a little goes a long way. Plus, it doesn't show in my dark hair, which has been my problem with dry shampoos in the past. I've already repurchased once in the last year and will continue to do so as long as B&b keeps making it!

This product is alright I'm not crazy about it. I've tried it mostly as a dry shampoo and it does not absorb oil all day but it does give a good amount of volume and grip to the hair it actually makes braids buns and other styles very nice and gives great texture I do like that about pret-a-powder I love it when I do my braids it's awesome but not as a dry shampoo.

Popular Hair Products