Maybelline New York Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara

Maybelline New York Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara
Brow DramaBrow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara

3.5

on 2/10/2019 5:11:00 PM

I've tried almost every brow mascara on the market for the past 15 years and this is my favorite for achieving a natural and full effect on my light, thin brows. The key to using the wand is 1) practice and 2) wiping most of the product off of the brush onto the tube before using. If the brush has too much product on it, it can be difficult to create a natural look.

on 7/8/2018 12:05:00 PM

I originally bought this as a dupe for Glossier’s boy brow because I wasn’t ready to spend the cash on that one, but it doesn’t quite add up. If you’re looking to spend a little more, and get much better quality, you can get 10% off at Glossier here: http://bff.glossier.com/jaK-v

Bare in my mind this is the first brow gel I've ever bought.

I decided to buy this product because I tipically fill in my blonde, sparse eyebrows every day, and was tired of seeing them all over the place and messy after 5 minutes. You can imagine how terrible they look at the end of a long day. This seem to be the cheapest and most easily available brow mascara I could get (I live in Brazil. Not only I am a student, but makeup here is so expensive, and we don't have many brand options).

At first, I was scared at the oh so famous ball. To me, that just looked like a mistake for someone with thin, sparse brows like myself. It totally looks like it's gonna go everywhere and not coat the brows evenly. Not to mention there are many negative reviews surrounding this product not because of the formula itself, but because of the ball.

I eventually found it on sale and took the plunge, but had decided to cut the ball and use the rest of the spoolie (like I had seen some people suggesting). But, when I first tried it, to my delight, I found iit surprisingly easy to use. Even though it's scary at first, the ball never gets coated with a lot of product, just enough to gently breeze through your eyebrows and set them in place. Because there isn't a lot of product at once, and because it isn't overwhelmingly pigmented, you can allow yourself to build your brow hairs the way you want and not smear the product up until your forehead. Of course, I do try to be gentle because it isn't the smallest spoolie ever, but, trust me, it's not difficult.

The color I have is Soft Brown, which is a lovely cool toned but not too gray match for me (my brows are light blonde and ashy but I like to make them slightly darker to frame my face better). As for the lasting power, it's good. I'm sure there are plenty of better holding and better performing brow gels out there, but it's decent. At the end of the day my brows look not so neat, but they look aceeptable and I feel put together.

Also, bare in mind that this gel doesn't contain any fibers in it (as far as I know), so it won't really make your brows thicker. For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this if you have sparse brows and want a brow gel that you can use on its own, without having to fill them in first, because it's just not going to work that well.

Another side note is that it's currently winter here, so I'm not sure how this performs under sweat and hot weather. You're just gonna have to read some other reviews to find out.

Overall, I like this and I'm happy with my purchase!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I bought this as a cheaper alternative to Benefit Gimme Brow, and I think it's a great dupe. I have pretty dark and thick brows, so I use this to tame them when they are slightly overgrown, or for a little more oomph when I want dramatic makeup. This won't replace a brow pencil or wax products. I don't love this wand. It has a little ball on the end where the product gets goopy and can smudge. I'd prefer a regular straight wand. Overall, a solid product that can quickly and easily make your brows look more groomed.

on 11/17/2017 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is not a bad product IF you have thick brows and can find one of the colors that works for you. I used the color,soft brown and it was a decent match since I have my very light brows tinted. Soft brown isn't very dark at all and I have blonde hair. My brows are not very thick and it looked sort of painted on but one of my friends has thick brows and she uses it. Her eyebrows always look amazing. The little ball thing on the end works for her. She uses 2 of them at a time and on one of them she just snipped the ball off of the tip which leaves a nice small, short brush about the same length as the Gimme Brow brush, for the tail end of the brow. It doesn't build the brow much but it does add color and keep them neatly in place all day. I finished the tube but would not repurchase because it just doesn't look that natural on me and my brows are not thick enough, I have to work on them with a pencil to fill them in. My friend with thick brows just outlines with a pencil then swipes it on and it looks great on her. It's readily available in any drugstore for around 5.00-5.50, even less if you catch the sales. There is not much product in it and it only lasted me about a month and I didn't even use it every day, but I did waste a lot wiping it off and trying to make it work.

on 9/10/2017 7:56:00 PM

For the price you pay, you're getting a more than decent product. Holds brow hairs in place without looking crispy, and does not flake up over the course of the day and look obvious.
Only critique would be that the wand is a little bit cumbersome and could do with being a bit smaller. It's kind of hard sometimes not to get smudges around the brow, and I don't have thin brows (Or maybe I'm just clumsy).

For the price, definitely worth it.

on 8/22/2017 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The bad reviews here don't do justice for this mascara. I have relatively thick brows and are dark in colors, all I need for everyday was just a bit of color to fill in some spaces and this mascara surely does its job. I have Essence's brow gel and to be honest I might prefer this one better. It gets the job done quicker. The applicator is in a weird ball shape but it still does its job so what's wrong? I find doing it back and forth will help the gel apply more evenly, but you have to act quick and try not to touch it for a minute or two, otherwise it will be a mess. After it sets I can feel that my brows are in place - they are hardened and fixed, and for Essence's, which after application my brows are still soft to touch. But after all it is just personal preference, I find using Essence's brow gel give me more control and it looked more lady-like - defined, tidy. This mascara on the other hand is even more natural and might even describe as wild as you can easily achieve a thick brows look within a minute.

EDIT Sept 07: Nope, do not try to reapply makeup on top of this mascara. I tried the other day putting on mineral foundation without removing my eye makeup and this because I was lazy and just wanted to test, and girl, that ended up like a horror movie. My brows first of all got all my previous foundation stuck in between hair. On top of that when I try to smudge it using my finger it disturbed the shape of my brows and my brows are tangled. I did not even know brows can be tangled. I don't have brows THAT thick. But they did. At the end I had to remove this mascara as well and that was a pain in the ass because again, the hair were tangled and I had to put on so much makeup remover and rub it. Do not use this product if you know you are going to reapply your base makeup. It was truly a disaster and I have tried another 3 times. Same result. Never had this when I was using Essence brow gel or brow powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this product! Have been using it since it came out. I already have thick brows but this gives them a nice even color and keeps hem in place. I really like the way this makes my brows look. I do not recommend this to be used for people who have super sparse eyebrows that are looking for this to fill them in.

on 8/22/2017 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I really like this. I have already larger, thick brows, so I only need to define them. Don't expect this to fill your brows in, just tint them. The ball applicator is large so if you have thin brows it will probably make it so product gets outside of the hair. However, it is the perfect size for me. My brows are a medium brown color and the "soft brown" shade works well. It dries down and stays in place, does not smudge.

This product is great if you want to add definition to your brows. I think this is best for people who already have good brows. I mean, it's great to fill sparse areas, to darken up the hairs and to keep them in place all day, but if you have really thin brows, the circular tip on the wand is going to make it difficult for you to apply this.
I have normal brows with some sparse areas. I use the shade deep brown, which is great because it has no red in it and looks completely natural.
I think this is a great brow mascara, especially for the price. I would buy it again

Popular Brows Products