TheBalm Instain Blush in Toile

TheBalm Instain Blush in Toile
Instain Blush in Toile

4.5

Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Dimethicone, Silica, Lauroyl Lysine, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 27 Lake (CI 45410), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360)]

on 3/17/2017 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

True rating would be 3,5, as I have mixed feelings about this blush. I adore thebalm's Cabana Boy blush, and had originally planned on purchasing more blushes from that line. Sadly they contain carmine, which the Instain line doesn't, which made me take my chances with this one instead. The shade really isn't your run-of-the-mill pink - it's a strawberry reddish pink that really pops. Hat's off the thebalm for the shade range of this line - they are all gorgeous. Toile is a shade that I think could work for almost all skin tones. It really does last extremely well through the day, and the pigmentation is insane. My main problem with this blush is that it's quite hard to blend. Once it's there, it's there, so you need a very light hand or you can really mess up your makeup. I find that the fluffier the brush, the easier the application. My most frequently used blush brush is quite small and dense, and I really disliked how this blush applied when I initially tried it with that brush. Now that I've made sure to use a less dense blush and go very, very easy, it's better. However, at times I still find that it looks a little patchy. Since I'm so fair, this bright blush really shows up well on my skin, making it perhaps even more obvious that it doesn't blend as well as I would've liked. I still like the long-wear formula enough that I'm considering trying one of the shades that aren't as bright (pinstripe or houndstooth), to see if they are more forgiving for my skin tone.

+ Cruelty free
+ Vegan
+ Superb staying power
+ Cute packaging, and very sturdy for being cardboard
+ Very pigmented

- Perhaps a tad bit too pigmented?
- A little hard to blend - quite unforgiving in application and a little bit too much work, in my opinion

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My go to everyday blush,it's nice pinkish red shade.I have olive skin and pinks are usually too "frosty,pale or silver " which I have to put a lot in order to be visible so it looks way unnatural and cheap.Red blushes are too much for me to blend in the morning when I'm in a hurry.But not with this because it's the optimal blend between pink and red.Looks really flattering and "natural but so much better" on olive skin.I dab it on with a brush in 10 sec,doesn't need blending,it's pigmented,it stays,it looks elegant and not cheap and glittery.

on 11/9/2016 10:54:00 AM

I purchased four of theBalm Instain blushes when they were released years ago. Sadly, despite all of the hype, they had been sitting in my collection relatively unused until only recently.

The GOOD... I love the packaging which is very cute and compact. The packaging is clearly labeled on the side for perfect storage. The magnetic closure holds the cardboard packing closed tightly for travel. The name and rumors about this staining blush are not a hoax; this truly is a long lasting blush. I have applied this at the beginning of a work day and found it still applied at the end. I have experienced a blush that lasts, never mind for hours upon hours.

The BAD... The blushes are only available in matte formulations, some with micro glitter. While the micro glitter doesn't migrate around the face, those who like an over the top luminous blush or one heavy with glitter will need to look elsewhere.

The UGLY... Theses blushes do stain which, while it doesn't last past a face wash, can be hard to blend and can be bold. I use a duo fiber brush and lightly tap it in to ensure I don't end up looking like a clown.

TOILLE is a hot red/pink. This is probably my least favorite of the four Instain blushes I own. I think this would be much more attractive on people with darker skin tones.
The BOTTOM LINE... <3 LOVE <3

on 9/15/2016 3:54:00 PM

I wanted this for ages (well months) but kept talking myself out of it as I have so many blushers already and it's somewhat spendy. I finally caved and bought it on offer. I love it! It shows up very well on me, nc25. I take bright colours very well. in fact I feel that I have colouring that "eats" colour but this blush shows up well on me and is flattering. It's pigmented but not so pigmented that it's difficult to use.
Colour looks a little orangey in the pan but goes on red.
I like the pkg. It's lightweight, mostly biodegradable and I have always loved fashion illustration.
Of course, now I'm looking at the other instain blushers!

on 3/7/2016 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This is a beautiful strawberry (red with a peachy pink undertone) shade that compliments a variety of skin tones. I need just a touch to perk up my skin. Its very pigmented and what I like about TheBalm In Stain blushes in particular is that they are not powdery at all.

It blends easily and has excellent staying power. The colour looks strong and intimidating but it applies smoothly and blends easily.

It is very hard to find an unique shade that is a great quality as well. A definite keeper in my collection.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Yet another amazing Instain. I'm really, really pale yellow and need blush, but most look muddy or fake on me. I'm also extremely sensitive to bismuth oxychloride and several other common blush ingredients. A few days of using a product could give me scars that last for years. Instain has been a godsend. Toile looks bright in the pan, but is buildable and goes on a natural reddy-pink. It matches well with red-toned coral or berry lip shades. It lasts a long time on me and none of the Instain shades break me out. So grateful! My favourite one is still Argyle (more light pinky-coral) for its versatility and flattering natural flush, but Houndstooth (mauvey-purpley) is excellent with mauve and purple-toned lip shades. At first I hated the cardboard packaging, but I now love it for the functionality. It's light, slim, contains a mirror, and has different graphics on the front to differentiate in your makeup bag. I stepped on one and the mirror broke, but the product was intact. haven't tried Swiss Dot yet, but plan on it! Love these and hope they stick around

on 4/30/2015 11:45:00 AM

What all the other reviewers are saying it's true. It's natural looking, a lovely strawberry red true to pan color, no chunky glitter/shimmer, awesome packaging (Earth-friendly yay!), texture is finely milled without being powdery, gives a natural looking stain- but...and I don't know if I just got a bad batch or what, but it's not long-wearing at all. I have coveted this blush for the longest time after hearing the good reviews and since it's quite pricey, I put off buying it first. I regret it truly. It did not live up to the hype of "in-stain, longwearing" claims I have been reading so I don't know! Is it me? Is it the excruciatingly hot Manila weather? I was very excited to test run it and experience the longwearing effect but there is none. First, I have to use a heavy hand on this so that it shows up in my skin and once it's on, it's just in my skin for two hours max. I complained of this to my make-up junkie/make-up artist friend and she suggested I use a damp brush when applying the stuff. It worked because my friend usually comes in 3 hours later and she actually commented I look great. So I thought maybe I had discovered the secret in putting this so I went back to the usual way of putting blushes (with a heavy hand because the stuff is buildable) but when I revert back to that - 2 hours max before the stuff starts fading. I know it fades because I have to reapply another cheek tint from UD (which lasts on me for 6-8 hours!). So now I have this dampened ruined part of the blush thanks in large part to the brush I used and I'm stuck with a blush that could have been awesome but is just an average product. I honestly thought this would be HG for me but sadly no. Huge disappointment. I will use it up hopefully I hit pan soon (unlikely since so much stuff is in the product) but I am now looking for other blushes to add to my collection.

on 3/10/2015 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Bright, cheerful, strawberry pink blush. I apply it with a Real Techniques stippling brush because it is BRIGHT. But so lovely. Cute packaging too, as always with TheBalm.

on 5/30/2014 11:53:00 PM

The Balm InStain bush in Toile is another one of my favorite blushes...It's a gorgeous strawberry-red color with a hint of coral and some pink in it. It's a very fresh-looking shade of blush that makes the person wearing it look flushed, happy, and upbeat. It's a highly pigmented matte blush that's ideal for medium and darker skintones but lighter skintones can wear it as well using a light hand. It's a beautiful bright color for spring and summer--another winning shade from The Balm.

on 5/21/2014 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this, much for the same reasons I love Swiss dot- it gives a really natural flush to the cheeks without chunky glitter etc. the staying power is excellent. As with all products by thebalm they're extremely pigmented so you don't need much, otherwise you can overdo it.