NYX Professional Makeup Butter Balm

NYX Professional Makeup Butter Balm
Butter BalmButter Balm

3.0

Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquidum/Huile Minerale, Ceresin, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Synthetic Wax, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Silica, Petrolatum, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Helianthus Annuus ( Sunflower ) Seed Oil, Stearoxymethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Candelilla Cera/Cire de Candelilla, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire d'abeille, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance/Parfum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, 77491, 77492), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140).

I bought this in pink "Parfait" and cannot be more disappointed in the texture and terrible application. NYX is one of my go-to brands for their amazing lippies but this is a definite fail. The balm is cakey and uneven when applied, and you can absolutely not wear it alone. Moisturizing your lips prior or applying a layer of chap-stick underneath seems to help but I still would not recommend this product or purchase it again.

on 1/4/2018 10:33:00 PM

Bought these in the shades Biscotti and Macaron and ended up throwing both away.

I liked the slight, sweet flavor both shades had but that’s about where my endorsement ends. The formula looks smooth in the tube and applies smoothly but ends up feeling gummy once on. It makes lips feel kind of gross - sticky, crumbly - after just a few minutes and that feeling stays until wiping it off thoroughly. Not only that but the formula seems to have the opposite effect of its purpose, drying instead of moisturizing. My lips ended up more chapped after using this balm.

Both shades were very sheer and added little tint. The tube colors are nothing like the balm colors, which is a little odd. To end on a positive note, at least neither one is frosty or shimmery.

$3.99 each with standard twist up cylinder packaging.

on 12/14/2017 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love the tube butter glosses formula, color and smell wise. But this one I do not like. The worst part is the smell, it's like some very acidic fruit or vitamin C pill. I just couldn't stand it. It was that way in several colors I tried, all the same smell.

The formula was just okay. You could use it as a light balm, but if your lips are dry it will not smooth them out visibly during wear, so if you want it for that, pass on this. It's not that rich or thick. It's super, super light to the point of likely only working well on lips that are not dry already.

I had to get rid of mine due to the smell being intolerable.

I have been using this butter lip balm in Ladyfinger for awhile now after receiving it in my Ipsy bag. The ladyfinger color is kind of a smoky matte dull raspberry color for lack of a better description. I don't mind the color as it can look dark for nighttime looks but still maintain a natural look during day or give you a muted pop of color when you aren't wearing any other makeup. Its that versatile colorwise for me.

It goes on like a chapstick except maybe more creamy as opposed to a silkier greasier application. For people that don't like glosses but want colour this is a sad bet.

The packaging is nothing to write home about though. Looks very simple with white writing and is in a tube thicker than a chapstick or lip smacker container. I like the fact that its a touch bigger for application, but that might be a hindrance to others. I also liked the scent of it. It smelled a little of raspberry and vanilla mixed together without being sickening or overpowering.

I didn't hate it, but didn't love it. Wont be rushing out to buy again, but would use again if that makes sense.

I feel that many of NYX's colors are for people with lighter skin/lips than me (NC25/30). (The Butter Glosses have a white base which makes them lighter too!)
Anyway, I bought Red Velvet, Panna Cotta, Biscotti, and Macaron, only the first two provided a sheer color the other colors made my lips look lighter that they are naturally. This is not a good look! The frost from the Macaron makes it appear lighter. Panna Cotta is cooler (leans blue base) than it looks. Red Velvet doesn't apply smoothly so you have to even it out with your finger or lip brush. But I really like the formula and smell. It makes my lips so hydrated. I will use up the light colors by using them before bed. I'm going to try brownie next! Fingers crossed! I hope that they will expand their color range.

I'm neutral about the packaging and the price (at $3.50 where I am) is OK.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have this lovely little product in Panna Cotta, which is a punchy guava shade. The only reason why this didn't get 5 lippies from me is because it has a tiny lack of smoothness to it. In other words, it has a bit of texture when I prefer my lip products to be smooth, bordering on what some would call greasy. The color payoff for this product far exceeded my expectations for a tinted lip balm! I think the variety of color choices is superb and would recommend this to anyone looking for color with a ton of moisture.

on 2/3/2017 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Got these in Biscotti and Marshmallow because I thought they would smell accordingly. They are semi-hydrating and feel ok (non-greasy, but lubricating). The colors are nude, good for completing 90s smoky eye look, though you risk concealer lips IMO. The first major problem is that these accentuate dry flakey appearance of lips. I mean, they look seriously horrible, never seen anything quite as unflattering as this balm. My other big complaint is the smell. Like melted sweet-tart scented cleaner used in movie theater bathrooms. Cheap and yucky scent. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this in "marshmallow" . It was on sale for $3 and i have heard mixed reviews, so i thought i would try it out for myself. I wanted to love it, but it was absolutely terrible. The only reason I gave it 2 stars was because i like the color. It really doesn't apply evenly. It really settles into the cracks. I feel like if you have absolutely smooth lips, this may be nice. But since it is winter for me, i have dry and cracked lips, and this makes my lips look even worse. I love NYX, but I do not love this. I won't be buying this again.

I got this balm in an Ipsy bag in the shade Marshmallow. The color is an odd nude shade and it does not apply evenly. I couldn't figure out how to wear this without it looking odd, so I kept it by my bed and applied nightly. It felt nice, thick, and moisturizing at first, though after many applications it started to feel gritty. I used it up but don't plan to purchase again.

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I bought this in Panna Cotta after a long search (my local stores don't carry the balms), and I've really been enjoying it. It goes on smoothly and feels like a regular lip balm, but gives my very pale lips a nice, sheer wash of color. Longevity is about average for a lip product of this type: it obviously doesn't last through eating or drinking, but it doesn't immediately disappear on me, either. It doesn't really have much of a scent to my nose. I only gave it four lippies because although it feels moisturizing while it's on, my lips actually feel drier than usual when it wears off. Not enough to really be annoying, but it sure wasn't what I expected from a "butter balm!" I do like it for the color and how comfortable it is to wear while it's actually on, though, so I would probably repurchase.

Top Rated Lip Treatments