Essie Fiji

FijiFijiEssie: FijiFiji

3.5

on 5/28/2017 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Fiji is a beautiful happy candy pink crème. I am in love with this color. This polish makes me happy when I look at it. It's not just a pink. It is soft but not a pastel, this pops on me. I have a lot of polish and not a single dupe for it in my collection. Pink Smart by Sinful Colors is very similar and also Pink Sugar from the Kandee Johnson collection (which I have on my toes) IS a dead on color dupe, but it is a textured polish so not a finish dupe. So this remains unique to my collection. The formula on this is streaky and it does not self level. It does tend to bald easily so once you swipe down the center, be cautious with the sideswipes as it will drag the polish that is starting to set and leave a bald spot. Not helping in application is that thin Essie brush. This polish takes a bit of work to apply and it also takes 3-4 thin coats so get it all completely evened out and cover visible nail line. Once this is on, it's so pretty and I love this sweet candy colored creme. I just bought this spring 2017 and have worn it 5 times now and it has very poor wear time. I can only get a day from this and then it chips like crazy. I've tried this with long nails and again with very short nails and still it has has poor wear time. If I had been able to get decent wear from this, and by decent wear I mean 4 days worth, I would have said yes, I'd repurchase. I love this color that much on me. When you look at your nails and think 'this makes me happy', that is a good polish, when it doesn't last that is disappointing, and much more so for a $9 polish! I don't like having to deal with all the issues this comes with, so I won't buy it again no matter how much I love this happy pink on me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have the newer version of this shade. It's a brightened baby pink creme, just a little warmer toned than most, which makes it wearable for me. It's an optimal hybrid of the icy pale lilacs I crave and the warm pinks that don't make me look ill. Fiji is one of those candy pastels that seem fairly unique to Essie.

You'll notice I didn't say that Essie does them well. Like my other favorite Essie pastels, Blossom Dandy and Bikini So Teeny, Fiji requires three thick yet streaky coats to even out and be opaque. You really have to want it on your nails. For my part, Fiji is such a great conservative but not boring shade that I'm willing to cope.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I should note that Fiji has been reformulated, and my review is for the newer version. It's less white, more opaque and leans way more toward a pastel pink than a nude.

This polish confuses me. It's on the thicker side and slightly difficult to work with, but not impossibly so, and Essie's brush saves it from being too much trouble to bother with. It's not quite bright, but it isn't a full pastel, either; the undertone is definitely lavender, which seems to wash out my pale hands in a very unflattering way.

I don't think it's awful, by any means, and is worth getting to coordinate with an outfit, but I wouldn't say it's an Essie staple.

on 3/22/2017 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Had I read the reviews here first I wouldn't have bought Fiji but it turned out lovely. The very light - almost white-ish - pink looks incredibly chic. Despite the exotic name I find it very ''parisian'' looking. I want to wear light pink silk scarves, dainty jewelry, understated makeup, hair in a chignon and a blazer to match with it. The first coat is indeed streaky but looks even when applying the second one. Wear time isn't phenomenal but that's an issue I have practically with every nail polish so I won't blame Fiji for that. I'll wear it a lot this spring for sure.

on 1/8/2017 7:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think this is a perfect baby pink colour but it's also pretty damn streaky..takes 3-4 coats to look even which is why I don't reach for it often.

on 10/11/2016 6:29:00 AM

Gorgeous, opaque, white-based baby pink. I am in love with this shade, it is gorgeous and classic but still ever so on trend. Fiji is a great colour with a really good formula, two thin coats is all that is needed to make this colour reach full opacity - a rarity for a colour as pale as this. It applied easily and dried quickly, the formula is similar to most other Essies. It lasted 4 days without base and topcoat on my fingers, longer with both. As a pedicure it will last forever, almost two weeks without base and top. It is such a gorgeous colour, suiting my warm NC15 skin perfectly. I imagine it would flatter all warm skin tones. A total classic which is worth the hype. A+

on 7/30/2016 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What a stunning shade. Perfect combination of elegant and sexy. Appropriate for any time of the year and every occasion imagineable. Looks equally beautiful on both short and longer nails. Looks extraordinary on toes as well. You can literally not go wrong with this.
However.
This is one of the Essie formulas that leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately this polish can get pretty streaky. Applying this sometimes feels like walking or eggshells. It takes as many as three coats for me to ensure that it is going to look smooth and even on my nails, and sometimes even a fourth one.
To sum things up, this is an excellent shade but unless you are a pro at nail polish application, it can get quite frustrating to get right.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This polish looks bubble gum pink on my nails. I couldn't get a clean line around my cuticles, and it just looked sloppy on my hands after 2-3 coats. The color is pretty, but it just didn't look right on my skin tone I guess. Unable to return this, I decided this would be a strict for my toes color. I use about 3 coats and it lasts for a few weeks and doesn't chip. It looks better on my toes than my fingers, so I will continue to use for that. I would not purchase this again.

on 2/9/2016 8:33:00 PM

I don't get the hype. :( It might be my skintone which is pretty pale, but it doesn't look good on me. It look "plasticky" and cheap. Maybe it suits better someone tanned, but I think there are a lot more prettier soft pink colors than Fiji. Very similar but more elegant and sophisticated looking are - Essie Urban Jungle and Tying the knotie, both of which I absolutely love.

on 1/29/2016 5:00:00 PM

Perfekt soft baby pink. Good formular but not Essie's best - but difficult to get a sharp clear line around the cuticle line. Otherwise opaque in 2 thicker coats or 3 thin coats. Lasts forever on the nail without chipping: went a week without top or base coat, with normal house keeping activities like doing the dishes.

Popular Polishes