The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil

The Body Shop Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil
Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil

3.8

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Isohexadecane (Emollient/Solvent), Polysorbate 85 (Surfactant-Emulsifying), Sorbitan Trioleate (Surfactant-Emulsifying), Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil/Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Octyldodecanol (Emollient), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil (Fragrance/Essential Oil), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this when the cleansing balm was out of stock. I like it, but didn't love it. I'd rather use any other oil which will get everything off - this couldn't cope with even the lightest of mascara applications!

It smells good and feels nice on my skin, doesn't irritate my eyes either which is good. But, it just didn't do a good enough job removing my make up. I don't have the time or the inclination to spend ages, I like one to remove my make up, soap to wash, then a moisturiser. I'm pushing the boat out if I use toner.

I'll stick to the balm which is my HG.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Like the previous reviewer, KittySkyfish, I've had a good experience with this product. For starters, I got it for dirt cheap during one of TBS's pre-Xmas sale deals. Like so many people within the last few years, I've really taken to cleansing oils to which you use with water, and double cleansing at the end of the day as it seems so much more gentle than using the old-school method of a cream cleanser and tissues or cotton pads and then still having residue left behind. This cleansing oil isn't the best one I've used either (MAC Cleanse Off and Clarins Pure Melt Gel are my favourites) but this does a pretty good job and the price is hard to beat. As so many others have said, it doesn't totally dissolve mascara but it does break it down and since I always follow up with a foaming, wash off cleanser, that takes care of what might be left behind. Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil is gentle, doesn't irritate my skin or my eyes and the price was hard to beat. I can understand why so many have complained about the pump; mine works fine but I've been forewarned and so I'm careful when I press on the pump. I may end up decanting some of this in to a more easy to control container at some point but, for now, the pump works okay. All in all, this is a good and very affordable (if you wait for their "deals") first step makeup remover, though I wouldn't use it all on its own.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have a more positive experience with this makeup remover than others. This makeup remover earns a 3.5/5 because I feel it should rinse off a little easier and because it doesn't break down makeup as quickly as other cleansing oil-type removers I've used. That said, I enjoy using it because it breaks down my makeup perfectly when I combine the makeup remover with a silicone scrublet pad (it's less effective with fingertips alone).

To combat the residue, I always follow with a gentle face wash, but on the plus side I notice how my face doesn't feel tight when I use this particular makeup remover. As a comparison, Clinique Take the Day Off Balm is more efficient at breaking down makeup but it does dry my skin out more.

Note: I don't use this to remove my eye makeup. For that I use the Camomile Gentle Eye Makeup Remover and cotton pads (it's really good!!). Also, some may not realize that this cleanser should be used on a dry face with dry hands. That's the only way it'll break down makeup. Only add water when you're ready to rinse.

on 11/18/2016 3:51:00 PM

I don't lik e this at all, when I use it in the shower it does nothing at all. I really need to use five pumps to feel it on my skin when I'm trying to massage it in.
Also the pump leaks so it's not great for travel.
Still looking for a better shower cleanser.. I like the balm version of this but it's too messy to use in the shower.

on 10/7/2016 4:42:00 AM

Not very effective. I've tried the balm version of this which is very nice, but with this I have to use it multiple times to get all my makeup off.

on 10/6/2016 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I own this and the balm from the same line. Whist I find the balm balm is probably more effective, I've been preferring the oil as I haven't been wearing as much makeup lately and don't need a face cloth to remove. BF also uses as a first cleanse.
This removes makeup and emulsifies with water. Leaves skin feeling clean but not tight.
I"m onto my second bottle, and have not had any issues with the pump breaking or bottle leaking.

on 9/12/2016 5:48:00 AM

I'm halfway through this oil cleanser and there's not one time using it that I feel satisfied it's done a good job. I highly recommend the cleansing butter from the same line over this oil as it outperforms the oil in all aspects.

First thing that I noticed right away, the packaging is faulty. For some reason after the first use the oil just travels up the pump and leaks out from the top and from under the pump threading. No matter how many times I clean it up and am careful to make sure I store it properly eventually the oil makes its way out. There's even a locking mechanism but it might has well not have one. I don't want to deal with a mess every time so this is an immediate deal breaker. I don't know if this is actually a common problem with oil cleansers in pump packaging(the Garnier one I tried had this happen too) but it definitely turns me off from this format.

There is always the option of decanting into a better dispenser, but it's not worth the trouble. This cleanser also doesn't emulsify well enough and I feel like I have a film of oil still stuck on my skin after rinsing. I double cleanse with a foam cleanser always but I worry if that's not enough to get rid of the sticky residue completely and sometimes I triple cleanse with micellar water. I never have to do that with better oil cleansers like Shu Uemura's that emulsify completely and rinse off easily. Another telltale sign that this oil doesn't emulsify well is that it takes mascara off the lashes but it goops up the mascara(waterproof or not it's the same result) and pools the goop under my eye. it's not because I'm not using enough oil or massaging the masacara off properly. Despite rubbing with water the blackened oil goop just sticks and makes me look like a football player. I have to take a q-tip or cotton to wipe it off, which adds some unnecessary tugging in that area. None of the other oil/balm cleansers I've used does this, and this is not supposed to happen with an oil that cleanses well.

I can't tell if this cleanser has ever specifically broken me out since I breakout every now and then with no clear pattern, but at the least it doesn't give me milia like some other too thick/fatty products have. There are nut oils in this so if you're allergic be sure to check the ingredients out.

There's all plant oils and no mineral oils in the blend(not that mineral oil is bad but it is a cheaper ingredient) but that doesn't matter if it can't even do what it's supposed to. The butter version of this cleanser has no such problems, is the same price and is a in less messy form so I feel like this oil is very redundant and would not recommend.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I like this product for many reasons. Usually when I try products, my skin feels nice for like a month and then suddenly reacts badly to it and gets all sensitive. But this product I've been using for months has made it on to my favourites list. It definitely feels silky and removes all my makeup, especially stubborn waterproof mascaras. It leaves my skin feeling smooth and moisturized, as it is an oil. It's not greasy. The product does not irritate my skin which is always a plus! The packaging can be a little annoying because it sometimes leaks out of the bottle and the pump kind of sucks.

I recommend using it on your DRY face and then using water to rinse it off for the best results!

on 8/31/2016 7:39:00 PM

This is a lovely cleansing oil. And, true to the name, it does leave your skin silky smooth. Not oily or greasy, perfect and moisturised.
This is a perfect product for multi-tasking. It's good for removing makeup (not stubborn waterproof one though), as a second cleanser and as a morning cleanser. The best thing about it is that you can completely rinse it off with water. The scrapes of it could be taken care of with your toner.
I don't really use this for removing makeup since I usually wear budge-proof mascara unless I wear something light that day, but as a second cleanser this works brilliantly. I love how effortless and calming this is to my skin. The lack of strong fragrance is also a bonus, I don't mind something pleasant but this I don't really feel at all. Lovely!
It's very smooth, calming, nourishing, soft and gentle. Really leaves your skin feeling soft and comfortable. No irritation or stinging whatsoever.
However, I do hate that packaging leaks even in the closed position. I once tried to put it down and before I could pack it with me I had a leak on my tablecloth! I didn't dare take it with me for the fear of my entire bag being soaked in this oil. Be cautious when travelling with it.
I guess I would repurchase this but I really hope they do something with the packaging cause I would really like to take this with me.

This is no where near as good as its close cousin, the TBS Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter. In fact, I'm not sure why TBS have included this in the Camomile line-up as it pretty much does the same as the cleansing butter, only no where near as well.

Much like the cleansing butter this is quite heavily scented (strong floral undertones) so it won't be to everyone's taste. It starts out as an oil which you apply to your face as the first step to removing your makeup. Once you've worked it into your skin, you then wet your hands and work it in some more, turning the oil from a clear to milky consistency.

I find the easiest way to remove this is by using a wet facecloth soaked in warm water. Trying to rinse this off without a facecloth makes my face feel like it's not properly cleansed and still has a layer of oil on it.

It definitely leaves my skin feeling really soft but I often find I have to use an eye makeup remover or micellar water to remove the last scraps of eye makeup that this has missed. This is particularly necessary if I've used waterproof mascara - this struggles to remove it well and I always find remnents clinging to my lashes.

Given how much I LOVE the TBS Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter, I don't think I would be tempted to repurchase this. I'm glad I tried it, but in my eyes it just doesn't quite live up to the cleansing butter for makeup removal quality. And when you consider they're both the same price - £10.00 - I know which one I'd spend my hard-earned cash on!