Dior Patchouli Imperial

No Image

on 7/30/2016 5:36:00 AM

Being a fairly seasoned perfumista now , I no longer dislike this note . However I like my patchouli to be user friendly in the best and kindest and most refined way . In this vein , I tested Patchouli Inperial and with an open mind. My first testing , I loved it . The Dior SA compared it to Dior Dune which I understood in a way . The second testing , I found I did not like it anymore .
Patchouli Imperial is straightforward , clear green and herbal leaf. Sharp and camphoreous. Some one said Tiger Balm ointment to me . I say .. Asian camphor wood boxes . Dusty , dry , wood .
This was 100 % patchouli for the first 30 mins . The whole effect softened after, into a abstract woody fragrance with a touch of sandalwood .
Very simple and elegant. I still prefer Coromandel and Comme des Garçons Luxe Patchouli .
Unisex .
I think one's love for the scent depends on one's history with the note of patchouli.
I give it 4 stars but I would not buy this for myself .

EDIT : 2017
I bought a bottle !
it always pays to test and re test and sample again and again.
What happened ? I really do not know but the camphorous note / Tiger Balm is no longer there.

Patchouli Imperial this winter / Spring is.... on my skin : a delicious mix of cedar ,sandalwood, patchouli and chocolate. Earthy and sexy . No flowers at all ,just woody and chewy . Lovely.

Notes: mandarin, bergamot, coriander, patchouli, cedarwood and sandalwood essence.

Opens with a blend of patchouli, bergamot and an unidentifiable floral. At first the patchouli is the main focus of the scent with the supporting notes attenuating its notoriously dark and musty qualities. Then they start to slowly engulf the patchouli note until all I see is a polished, wonderfully nuanced woodsy-floral composition with the tiniest hint of chocolate-tinged earthiness. The fragrance is very smooth and elegant, a light oriental that can be worn anytime year-round. The more I study Patchouli Imperial, the more I see a creamy and powdery heart accord. Some say iris is included in the composition and I have to agree. As the citrus top notes melt off my skin and the floral heart notes expand to the point of dissolving into thin air, I start to see the woodsy base more clearly. I am able to distinguish spicy cedarwood and creamy sandalwood encasing the patchouli, enhancing and mitigating its desirable and undesirable features. Patchouli Imperial is a very well-done fragrance which will surely have many fans. It is easier to like than Serge Lutens' Borneo 1834, but I am sure many demanding reviewers will find it too safe and tame.

Popular Fragrances