Paula's Choice RESIST C15 Super Booster

Paula's Choice RESIST C15 Super Booster

3.6

Not tested on animals

Water, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ethoxydiglycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), PPG-26 Buteth-26 (emulsifier), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (thickener), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid (antioxidant), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Acetyl Octapeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer/antioxidant), Triethanolamine (pH adjuster), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 5/22/2017 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Let me preface this review with the fact that I have not tried very many C serums, yet. Of the four I've tried, Paula's Choice C15 was the only L-AA formulation. It also contains E and Ferulic Acid, putting it on par ingredient-wise with other products such as those offered by Skinceuticals. The PC version is far cheaper than Skinceuticals, but is not as affordable as indie C+E+F serums I've seen discussed on the boards (CSI, Timeless). I found that my skin drank up the C15 very quickly, which is a double edged sword. On one hand, it meant that skin is ready very soon for the next skin care step. On the other, it meant that if I applied as a single product (ie, not as a "booster" to another serum), that I had to apply quite a bit (and quickly) to get full coverage. This detracts from the overall value, since it means I use it up more quickly than I might if the product was a bit more spreadable. However, given that L-AA formulations are prone to oxidation, which makes them less effective, it is probably just as well that I used the product at a good clip.

The literature I've seen recommends 10% or higher concentration of L-Ascorbic Acid in order to benefit skin, and getting 10% is a bit tricky if this serum is mixed into other products. That is why I decided to only use it as a standalone layer in my skin care regimen--I wanted to be sure that I was always meeting the minimum recommended concentration. The "hot dog" or "lunchmeat" smell mentioned by other reviewers is very strong, and doesn't really dissipate. Night time wearing was out of the question for me, because strong smells affect my ability to sleep. I wore C15 during the day under my sunscreen, which I learned later is recommended in order to help prevent free-radical damage. Since the product was so great at absorbing, I never had any issues with delays in my morning routine, and the product did not add any oiliness or shine to my skin. If anything, it helped prep my skin to better absorb my sunscreen, so I was pleased with this skincare combination.

Here is the sad part...my skin is really too sensitive to wear C15 AND continue to use other actives in my routine. I use BHA in the day, and alternating nights with AHA and Retin-A. Adding C15 put me over the top irritation-wise, but because I haven't tried very many C serums, I don't know what ingredient was bothersome, nor do I know if a lower L-AA concentration would help. I ended up using the remainder of the product on the backs of my hands before applying sunscreen. On both face and hands, C15 had a very rapid effect of brightening my skin, and over time I had some fading of dark spots. There is no doubt in my mind that L-AA is a superstar ingredient. Unfortunately, this formulation offered by PC will not work for me, but I do recommend trying it in case it works well for others.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

So right off the bat, as nearly every other reviewer has noted, this smells dreadful — like metallic hotdog water. There's no getting around that. Which is why I only use this product before bed, and why I wash my hands after I use it. But I can deal with the odour (with admittedly a certain amount of queasiness — I'm a vegetarian with a hyper-sensitive sense of smell) because this product is decently priced, and so far pretty good.

I've been using it for a couple of months now and I am definitely noticing my skin becoming brighter, clearer and softer. I should mention, though, that during that time, I've also introduced another new product (Mario Badescu Honey Moisturizer) into my regime, so I can't really just put this down to the one thing.

My skin is sensitive, combination, and a bit acne-prone, with a tendency to get angry and irritated at the drop of the hat. When I have a breakout, I also end up with hyperpigmentation (which this does seem to help with). So far, this hasn't made me break out or made my skin go crazy, which is itself quite impressive.

Downsides... I've read that this only has a shelf-life of 3-4 months, after which time it starts to oxidise and becomes unusable. This probably offsets the otherwise fairly reasonable cost. It also comes in a glass bottle, and I'm always worried it's going to fall into the sink and break.

Edit: Er, I might have spoken too soon. I'm fairly sure that this product is actually the cause of the eczema-like, rough, red patches I've been getting episodically since I started using this stuff. Given how sensitive my skin is prone to be, I'm tempted to try a serum with lower vitamin C concentration and see how that goes — this is 15%, whereas a product like Mario Badescu's is only 7.5%.

on 4/22/2017 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Ive gone through one bottle. Although I am a fan of some of PCs products, this didn't do anything for me. I also didn't care for the smell, though it's not nearly as bad as a Biological Recherché cream purificant et al that follows the P50 toner regimen. I have some discoloration which PC glycolic 8% is addressing. This serum did nothing for that issue. As for a glow, I can get that from the better priced 2% liquid BHA. I did keep this in the refrigerator, so freshness wasn't a problem.

UPDATE: after reading the reviews I think my bottle might have arrived already oxidized. (I refrigerated it as soon as I got it). So, I am trying another manufacturers Vitamin C serum (cheaper) to see if there are any different results.

on 4/16/2017 3:00:00 PM

I am currently on my third container of this stuff. I really enjoy it, although I was skeptical at first. To give you some history, I have suffered from acne all my life and just recently (over the past year) stopped getting active spots. I do have quite a lot of scarring though, from years of acne. Now, this stuff isn't over-night magic. But, I mix it with the skin brightening treatment and my scarring has become significantly less noticeable. My skin texture has also improved. My little skin bumps have been smoothed out, which was a really nice benefit I wasn't expecting. It has a very light smell which I happen to enjoy but if you hate scents you should keep in mind that this is not odorless.

Overall, I would recommend this to anyone with acne scars or hyper-pigmentation. Mix it with something (directly on skin didn't work as well for me) and use it twice daily. Give it a few weeks before you decide it does not work.

Since it's a bit expensive, here is my 10$ off code: https://goo.gl/bdPnHX

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I was torn writing this review. On one hand, the stuff is potent, and it does what it claims. Your skin will be visibly more vibrant with consistent use, and the dropper dispenser it great. No product wasted. It absorbs really quickly and is very light on the skin.

However, this stuff has a shelf life of only 3-4 months. Soon after that it starts to oxidize and turn yellow. When that happens, it's no longer any good to use. It costs way too much to only last a few months IMO. And there's no way I could use the whole bottle before it expires (a few drops each day is really all you need). So, unfortunately, I will not repurchase this product.

Thankfully more and more Vitamin C options are popping up at more affordable prices. Unless you plan to use a heavy hand applying this to your face, I would not recommend purchasing this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on my 2nd bottle of it. It did magic on my skin. My skin feels immediately soften, brighten and tighten (in a good way!) by applying it on. I usually mix an entire dropper of this into my FAB hydrating serum (which is more an anti-oxidant, anti-redness than hydrating stuff). My face just glows after this combination. Then I tap my face until the serum gets sunk it. Before my skin becomes too dry, I apply SPF moisturizer on top of it. I feel myself protected from the sun and radicals all day! At night I use it as well. My skin feel very plump in the morning. Maybe I use too much every day so I ran out quickly.
For the smell, if you have tried Skinceuticals CE Ferulic... they smell the same...This is about the correct smell of high potency vitamin C serum. If you are looking for something heavily fragranced, then please go to Timeless, which covers the real smell by useless fragrance. So back to the point, the smell doesn't bother me at all. The non-fragranced formula is what sensitive skin should look for.
The only thing I don't like is the dropper. The last few drops are hard to get out and I always feel not quite safe. However, even Skinceuticals use the same type of packaging. Overall, PC's 15% vitamin C is a great product. I didn't feel much different from Skinceutical's --- after all the crazy price of CE Ferulic is all about the patent. But as a formulator myself, the formulation is not tricky at all. So I absolutely go with this high quality budget.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Yet another disappointment from the Paula's Choice line. She trashed other lines, yet her own line is mediocre.
This product is no exception. I used the whole bottle and saw no improvement from using it. IMO, there are much better Vitamin C products out there.

on 10/28/2016 5:17:00 PM

I came to the conclusion that Vitamin C beaks me out. I wish I could use it, it has great benefits, but every time I have tried to incorporate it into my routine I get a ton of blemishes. The concentration and the packaging on this product is great though. You can decide how much to apply and the bottle is opaque enough to protect the Vitamin C from light. You'll have to repurchase every 3 months because it will loose its properties.

I have been using glycolic acid (8% concentration) and retinol instead and the results have been great. So maybe if you are experimenting the same problems with Vitamin C you'll have better luck with these.

on 10/28/2016 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was so excited to try this; I *really* need something to even out my skin tone. Unfortunately this wasn't it :-(
I purchased the .12 ounce size for $9--I was surprised to see just how small .12 ounces is! I was mixing a drop in with serum (supposedly this gets the best results) and using it every night for about 2 weeks.
Absolutely ZERO results--no change in fine lines, dark spots, redness, nothing, nada. While I didn't feel any burning or irritation, I'm pretty sure it was making my oily skin even more oily--very shiny after using this.
Thinking I had done something wrong, or should check out other vitamin C products, I started reading up, and came across a picture of what color the vitamin C should be. The day I received this (the day I started using it), it was quite dark orange. I figured, well it's supposed to be that color. No, it's not!!! Vitamin C should be very clear, with maybe the faintest tint of orange or yellow. By the time it's very orange, it's no longer stable, not effective, and you're basically just rubbing free radicals all over your face. Wow, thanks, Paula's Choice.... Not a huge fan of any of the PC products, and now I certainly won't be purchasing ANY of them again.

on 10/21/2016 3:32:00 AM

I tried this a few years ago and it left an orange cast on my skin. I love most of Paula's Choice products, but I think that you might be just as well off making your own serum weekly with a little vitamin c powder like other MUAers do.

If you want a $10 referral code, visit my Notepad.