L'Oreal Paris Steampod

No Image

3.5

on 5/16/2017 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Me and my sister decided to dish out 180 euro to buy this after seeing many YouTubers raving about this. This is supposed to be less damaging to your hair because it uses steam so we thought why not. I'm giving it two stars because the product does give you salon looking results but I've realized that after a few months of using it, my hair looked damaged and I had countless frizzies and broken hair as a result. This also produces static electricity and while it straightens really well the core of your hair and mostly middle part and hair ends, it won't catch any shorter hair or frizzies appearing in the hair roots and will even snap and twist them. As a result, I get perfectly smooth and straight middle part and hair ends and frizzies/broken hair on top. Same thing happened to my sister, even though we both used its own styling cream and anti-frizz products. Perhaps the plates and steam are not damaging the hair on their own but the design and static electricity snatches your hair and leaves frizzy parts. I have tried Remington irons and I didn't experience this issue so I will probably sell them on Ebay since they are so popular.

on 6/29/2014 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ahhh - yes!!! Get this!!!!

I, like everybody else, have a GHD but in the 8 years I've had it I have only used it a dozen times due to it taking SO long to do my long, thick, coarse hair and it dried it out after 3 or so consecutive uses at one time a week. I also got the Instyler Cool Touch and that dried out my air and not to mention tangled in my hair easily. It might be okay for a fringe or t-section but it's still quite drying on my hair.

I saw my friend who has curly, kinda frizzy hair and she had transformed her hair into this really sleek but voluminous 'do. She told me about the Steampod but warned me that her hand got sore from using it because the unit itself was heavier. The effects on her hair totally sold me on the product.

My hair is soft and shiny. I can make it super straight, flicky, curly at the ends or voluminous. I have numerous comments from people (some come out of their way to say something) saying how healthy my hair looks or if I've just been to the hairdresser because it looks so nice. No frizz!! I'm a no fuss kinda person when it comes to hair so this Steampod is perfect for me! The curls or straightening lasts until my next wash.

It's effects are meant to be attributed to the steam used on conjunction with the heated plates. I use 190 degrees and can go over my hair quite a few times if I wanted. I need to run it through my hair at least twice. I also like that I can use thicker strips of hair (where if I did that with the GHD, it wouldn't work). The Steampod has adjustable heats which is handy! Easy to use and set via the buttons on the device. My long, wavy, thick hair takes me just over 5 minutes to do! Btw - I don't find it heavy to use but have seen other Internet reviews with people complaining about it,

My tips would be to press the plates together first to get the steam pumping through from the beginning. You can only run the plates through your hair one way (follow the arrows) so if you want to curl your hair just take time to uncurl the cord every now and then because the cord attachment doesn't swivel. No biggie tho. The device is worth the price, a bit of practice and patience. It's familiar enough and eventually becomes easy. I like the box it comes in too - handy storage box (perhaps not something you'd want to leave out all the time and I wouldn't say it's portable). I would also suggest letting your hair be 90% dry or do it when it is dry. It's easier to handle, quicker and pretty sure that heating hair when it's wet is still not a good idea.

I use Ojon spray or GK as a treatment for the steam to push into the hair. The L'oreal protective serum is ok but silicone-containing products make my hair greasy within a few days. I'm sure you don't need to use any product with the Steampod but I prefer a lower heat anyway.

It's a quality product in its look and feel. It might take a few times to get the full hang of it but definitely worth keeping up with it. I got mine from eBay and highly recommend it!!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools