L'Oreal Paris Steampod

4.7

on 6/3/2018 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought the black Mightnight in Paris Steam Pod in the beginning of January and have been using it twice a week for the last five months without fail. Can't live without it now.

I have naturally curly hair and prefer soft waves, just looks the most flattering on me. Steam pod helps me achieve voluminous bouncy waves without tugging and with minimal damage.

I just wash and condition them, apply heat protectant, let them dry naturally or with the help of hair dried and separate in sections. Firstly I brush, glide along the strand to straighten and go back again while bending the wrist to form the wave. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. About 30' need instead of my usual 60'+

I get super glossy hair and since there is not much friction and abuse I don't get much fallout. I'm convinced it's much more kind to the hair than traditional straighteners. Using distilled water is not much of an issue either, a huge 4L amount cost me about 2 euros and not even half has been finished yet.

Why not 5 stars then?

First of all it's too bulky to travel with, sadly. Because I'm addicted not and can't style my hair the way I want otherwise.

Secondly because of the size I can't grab firmly the very roots which is the curliest part and therefore have to use a small straightener with narrow plates to finish off the look or else it looks sloppy. Takes only 2' but having to use a separate tool is a bummer. Also if I want more defined curls in some spots I'll still use a curling iron too.

Overall it's not the hair device to end of all hair devices because I still need others for perfect hair but none can do its job so fast and so good.

Lastly the price. Frankly it's absurd. Also skip the patching hair products, they're nothing special. You're better off using your favourite heat protectant and finishing serum.

I would definitely buy again.

on 10/22/2014 8:34:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE THIS STRAIGHTENER!!! Okay so this thing was way too expensive, I think I paid about $250 for it plus the cost of the keratin cream that goes with it. I did not buy the serum just the cream. I have coarse, wiry, damaged, dry hair that is prone to breakage and is thinly dispersed (but very thick individual strands). I also experience hair loss on a semi regular basis (off and on a couple times a year).
I have bought a number of hair straightening products, some from recommendations on here, some from infomercials lol. Nothing has ever worked as well as this straightener.
The straightener itself is bulky, it has directional arrows to tell you which way to pull it through the hair and it is connected to a little pod you fill with water (I used distilled). It has a low, medium and high setting and lights up and locks when it reaches temperature. It heats up very quickly and after you press the plates together a few times you hear the hiss of steam working it's way through the machine and you will start to see the steam coming through some small holes on the side of the unit.
I apply the L'oreal steampod keratin cream to damp hair and a hair serum (I use John Frieda full repair) and then I blow dry it into a giant frizz ball. I do not do the partially dry hair thing they say you can do, I have tried it and it works but I feel like it's not as nice as when I use it on completely dried hair. I will say that I have let my hair air dry and used the straightener and the results were as nice as blow drying first.
I like to pin the top half of my hair up and start by working on the hair underneath. Then move on to the top after. There is no missing any hair with this. The hair that's had the straightener used on it looks and feels like another persons hair, it makes that much of a difference. It makes my hair look the way I thought only the salon could do, it looks like regular straight shiny hair, like I was born with it and it's healthy and beautiful.
I can't recommend this straightener enough, I've had no damage no far (had this about 6 months now) and I have no buyers remorse, and I always have buyers remorse!!
I do recommended having your stylist use this on you at the salon if you can find a place that has one. I did this and it made my decision to buy one so much easier. The results you get at home really will be exactly the same as the salon results.

on 9/8/2013 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

In terms of hair straighteners and stylers, this is it. I have tried many from high end to cheapo, some great, some terrible, all variations on the same thing. I love a good gimmick and this one was like being caught in a fishing net. I couldn't resist the glowing reviews from Australia. So I shelled out a rather insane amount of money and waited impatiently for my shiny big box to arrive.

The packaging is gorgeous. You can tell you are getting an expensive product. A glossy heavy box with magnetic closures and sturdy casing for the device. The manual is like an encyclopedia. The device itself is lovely. Shiny, sturdy, but most of all very heavy. It is sleek for its size, but you're certainly not bringing this in an overnight bag (though I admit this is such a must-have for me I have made room in my suitcase). There is a little "pod" for the water, and a hair straightener that will dwarf all others in terms of size.

The controls are easy to use, rubber buttons on the side that you won't accidentally push during use. There is a little plastic comb attachment I immediately removed and almost never use. It slides right out.

The device heats up very fast. If I set it to full heat (210 C) it's about a minute. The screen, backlit with a modern looking blue LED display, will blink while heating, then stop blinking when hot.

Use takes some time to learn. It's a little clumsy at first because of how big it is, but I am terrible at doing my own hair and mastered it in just 2 or 3 uses. The device must be run the same direction, there are little arrows to help you out. When you squeeze the plates together, you hear a pump whirring and it steams out around the plates. Here is where the magic happens.

I only have to go over each section ONCE and it is sleek and silky smooth. With other irons I could go over the same spot of hair over and over and over and it was straight, but still stiff and "straightened" looking. With this my hair looks like actual straight hair. Not like straightened hair. It has movement, shine, and looks wonderful. AND it lasts like none other. I don't find myself needing to touch up my style every morning. It lasts until the next wash. I can't rave about this enough. This straightener makes all others just feel like garbage. While before a straightener was what I used in places where I failed with a round brush, this is BETTER than a blowout in terms of silky results.

It's also a lot less damaging because it works so well on a lower setting. With other irons I needed it cranked up to max heat to get great results, with this I can get amazing results on the lowest or second lowest setting.

Instead of burning money searching for a HG styling cream, consider investing in this. It's so amazing. If I had to buy a new one every year, I would because it's just that good. I feel lost trying to style my hair without it now. It's just amazing how well this device works. I can't stop touching my silky hair. I've had it for about 6 months now and I still can't imagine going back to a regular iron. I don't even use my curling iron anymore (more on that later).

I don't use the cream or serum that they sell with it, but am curious to try them. Right now I have had great results with argan oil, biosilk, renpure treatments, whatever my product du jour is at the moment. It has worked miraculously with all of them. If I use this after a protein masque the results seem to be even better. One time I put my 3a hair up in pin curls as an experiment and when I released the pins, the "curls" stayed attached to my head. Trying to brush out the mess was a nightmare and I looked like a poodle. While the actual brushing and subsequent afro took a good hour, going over it with this took only 15 minutes and it was like it never happened.

I can use this to create gorgeous sexy waves really easily, by either braiding my hair and going over the braid with the iron, or by just twisting a section and going over the twist. Insta-supermodel hair. You can also create beautiful loose curls by twisting the iron as you move down the hair (check youtube for more details on this, it's my favorite method).

As a testament to how well this works, my boyfriend never complimented my hair before. When I started doing my hair with this he tells me ALL THE TIME how much he loves me hair, how beautiful and soft it is, and even wants to play with it. He's constantly finding excuses to come over and run his fingers through my hair now. Not once in the almost 5 years together did he enjoy my hair like he does with the steampod.

I use distilled water so I won't clog up any part of it with residue and it's super easy to make at home. Large stock pot, put a heat safe bowl in it and put water around, just a few inches. Then simmer, put an upside down lid on, stick ice in the lid, and turn off the heat. Leave for 30 minutes. Voila, distilled water.

Update: If you want the most pin straight amazing hair ever, try this with the tresemme 7 day straight serum. I go over each section 3x on high and get Victoria Beckham levels of sleek. Amazing! Too time consuming for me to do regularly, but for a special event the results cannot be beat.

Popular Hair Styling Tools