L'Oreal Steampod

4.8

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My HG straightener. I had high expectations of that expensive product. I am more than impressed!This miracle steam flat iron straightens my wavy hairs easily to a sleek, shiny look. My other straighteners often made it crispy and it took long til I was satisfied with the result. The steam really seems to work. It only works with destilled water, please never consider mixing it with something. It will only damage your Steampod. The new white one is ok, but sometimes there is water coming out of one the holes and it doesn't make my hair so flawless like the black one. So stay with the original. You will fall in love with it and your hair.

on 3/18/2016 8:58:00 AM

This is the holy grail of hair straighteners. I have been using GHD's for years thinking I couldn't find anything better but they were destroying the ends of my hair and I had lots of broken bits around my temples where the hair isn't as strong. My friend who has similar hair to me, coarse textured, color processed etc recommended this and actually let me try hers out and I haven't looked back. I know it's expensive but not much more than a GHD and 10 times more effective. I use it with the recommended loreal keratin steampod treatment which costs an extra €20 but you only use a small amount otherwise it weighs your hair down. I have tried it just with my morronan oli and its not as effective so to me the keratin treatment is necessary in my case anyway. The steam seems to be more gentle on hair than the dry heat of a normal straightener but you do have to blowdry forst as needs to be used on dry hair. The unit itself is quite bulky if you wished to pack it so I don't know what I'm going to for holidays as I dread the thought of not having it there with me. If you are thinking of investing in this product, for your own sake do so, you won't regret it!!

To Read all 13 Reviews, Login or Join

on 3/6/2016 6:26:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Even when my hair is blow dried by a hairdresser, the style only lasts a couple of hours before frizzing. With my own GHDs it looks OK for about an hour provided I don't go out in any sort of humidity.
My new Steampod is FANTASTIC!

Whatever the weather, with only a blob of styling cream and a few minutes steaming, my hair is truly manageable for the first time in my life. Worth every penny!

on 3/1/2016 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I hesitated to buy this because I thought that the price is ridiculous for a hair styling tool, but if I had to pay for it again I would, without a second thought. I have no words to express the miracle that is the Steampod. All the positive reviews you have read are right.

I have fine, frizzy, dry-ish very long hair. My GHD's straightened it alright but my hair looked dried, flat and fried. Enter the Steampod. I straighten my hair in 5 minutes and every time, every single time, my hair looks glossy, healthy and full. No frizz even when I get rain on it! For the first time in my life someone thought that my hair is probably extensions because they look so 'lush, healthy, long and full' ! My husband, who initially had a heart attack upon learning the price, said 'Why didn;t you buy it before? Your hair looks the best I have ever seen it'. It is this good. I actually cannot wait to wash my hair and style it. I wish I could figure out how to create waves with it but I haven't yet. I love, love, love it.

on 5/13/2015 8:47:00 PM

the best straightener i have ever tried! it leaves the hair shiny, smooth, very sleek AND looking healthy! i have curly hair and i straightened it on the lowest heat setting and i only ran once or twice over every strand...made my hair look sleek like never before and they were really soft! result stays longer than 3 days ...loveeee it!

on 5/8/2015 8:23:00 AM

the water it steams into your hair weighed down my fine hair and made it look oily. Unfortunately it didn't work for me

on 5/6/2015 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

If I could think of some way to say even more about how fab my steampod is than the 6 reviews already I would! Don't be put off by the price (I paid $150). If you have dry thick frizzy or afro relaxed hair go out and buy this now!!! It looks bulky and heavy after sleek GHDs but it's really easy to get the hang of and it works like a miracle!! I've had GHDs which made my hair dry and broke the ends. All other straightners I've tried have as well but the steampod really does transform my hair and I would never go back to managing my hair without it. I have relaxed hair and I blow-dry my hair first with indola straightening blow-dry spray mixed with loreal extraordinary oil. After blowdrying, my hair is a nicer texture but the steampod transforms it into straight silky hair which looks as if I've just come from the salon - and it lasts! I touch up the ends each morning til I next wash my hair. I use the steampod at its lowest setting 170degrees with Moroccan oil glimmershine spray. Lowest setting is fine even for my relaxed hair. I recommend only using it on completely dry hair to make sure you get the silky finish and don't end up with frizzy roots. It does get hot but like all straightners just be careful round your ears. The steam isn't so hot just the plates. It's hard to describe but there's a built in mini comb which works with the plates and this seems to make all the difference compared to normal straightners. I've been using my steampod for 2 years now and my hair is strong and healthy .... And it's grown!!! -All you out there with afro relaxed hair will know how hard it is to stop your ends from breaking and get your hair to grow!! I now officially have a medium long bob from starting out with a crop cut! The steampod won't damage your ends nearly as much as straightners. The only thing I haven't liked is the steampod keratin cream and serum. They were OK but quite.pricy and didn't give.me the same shine and softness as my extraordinary oil and glimmershine spray. But the steampod straightners are the very best thing I use on my hair - 5 out of 5 *+!!!!! :-D

on 10/22/2014 8:34:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE THIS STRAIGHTENER!!! Okay so this thing was way too expensive, I think I paid about $250 for it plus the cost of the keratin cream that goes with it. I did not buy the serum just the cream. I have coarse, wiry, damaged, dry hair that is prone to breakage and is thinly dispersed (but very thick individual strands). I also experience hair loss on a semi regular basis (off and on a couple times a year).
I have bought a number of hair straightening products, some from recommendations on here, some from infomercials lol. Nothing has ever worked as well as this straightener.
The straightener itself is bulky, it has directional arrows to tell you which way to pull it through the hair and it is connected to a little pod you fill with water (I used distilled). It has a low, medium and high setting and lights up and locks when it reaches temperature. It heats up very quickly and after you press the plates together a few times you hear the hiss of steam working it's way through the machine and you will start to see the steam coming through some small holes on the side of the unit.
I apply the L'oreal steampod keratin cream to damp hair and a hair serum (I use John Frieda full repair) and then I blow dry it into a giant frizz ball. I do not do the partially dry hair thing they say you can do, I have tried it and it works but I feel like it's not as nice as when I use it on completely dried hair. I will say that I have let my hair air dry and used the straightener and the results were as nice as blow drying first.
I like to pin the top half of my hair up and start by working on the hair underneath. Then move on to the top after. There is no missing any hair with this. The hair that's had the straightener used on it looks and feels like another persons hair, it makes that much of a difference. It makes my hair look the way I thought only the salon could do, it looks like regular straight shiny hair, like I was born with it and it's healthy and beautiful.
I can't recommend this straightener enough, I've had no damage no far (had this about 6 months now) and I have no buyers remorse, and I always have buyers remorse!!
I do recommended having your stylist use this on you at the salon if you can find a place that has one. I did this and it made my decision to buy one so much easier. The results you get at home really will be exactly the same as the salon results.

on 6/29/2014 6:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ahhh - yes!!! Get this!!!!

I, like everybody else, have a GHD but in the 8 years I've had it I have only used it a dozen times due to it taking SO long to do my long, thick, coarse hair and it dried it out after 3 or so consecutive uses at one time a week. I also got the Instyler Cool Touch and that dried out my air and not to mention tangled in my hair easily. It might be okay for a fringe or t-section but it's still quite drying on my hair.

I saw my friend who has curly, kinda frizzy hair and she had transformed her hair into this really sleek but voluminous 'do. She told me about the Steampod but warned me that her hand got sore from using it because the unit itself was heavier. The effects on her hair totally sold me on the product.

My hair is soft and shiny. I can make it super straight, flicky, curly at the ends or voluminous. I have numerous comments from people (some come out of their way to say something) saying how healthy my hair looks or if I've just been to the hairdresser because it looks so nice. No frizz!! I'm a no fuss kinda person when it comes to hair so this Steampod is perfect for me! The curls or straightening lasts until my next wash.

It's effects are meant to be attributed to the steam used on conjunction with the heated plates. I use 190 degrees and can go over my hair quite a few times if I wanted. I need to run it through my hair at least twice. I also like that I can use thicker strips of hair (where if I did that with the GHD, it wouldn't work). The Steampod has adjustable heats which is handy! Easy to use and set via the buttons on the device. My long, wavy, thick hair takes me just over 5 minutes to do! Btw - I don't find it heavy to use but have seen other Internet reviews with people complaining about it,

My tips would be to press the plates together first to get the steam pumping through from the beginning. You can only run the plates through your hair one way (follow the arrows) so if you want to curl your hair just take time to uncurl the cord every now and then because the cord attachment doesn't swivel. No biggie tho. The device is worth the price, a bit of practice and patience. It's familiar enough and eventually becomes easy. I like the box it comes in too - handy storage box (perhaps not something you'd want to leave out all the time and I wouldn't say it's portable). I would also suggest letting your hair be 90% dry or do it when it is dry. It's easier to handle, quicker and pretty sure that heating hair when it's wet is still not a good idea.

I use Ojon spray or GK as a treatment for the steam to push into the hair. The L'oreal protective serum is ok but silicone-containing products make my hair greasy within a few days. I'm sure you don't need to use any product with the Steampod but I prefer a lower heat anyway.

It's a quality product in its look and feel. It might take a few times to get the full hang of it but definitely worth keeping up with it. I got mine from eBay and highly recommend it!!!

on 3/16/2014 11:16:00 AM

I cannot stress how insanely amazing the steampod is!! My hair is so hard to manage, dry, frizzy, very damaged and dull. Not now that I've found these straighteners though! The day they arrived I chucked my ghds into the back of my cupboard and they have stayed there ever since. I would never go back to using them now, and that's saying something as I have sworn by ghds since I was about 14 - 7 years! The steampod quite literally blows them out of the water.

My hair styling routine is now halved in time - because the plates are large, you can run more hair through them at once and you only need to go over each section once. With my ghds, it would take around 30 minutes to do my hair; now it takes under 10 minutes and the end result is 100 times better!

The first time I went into work after using them, EVERYONE commented on my hair - even some of the men and men never notice that kind of thing! People were asking me if I had been to the hairdressers all day, and believe me when I say that nobody used to give me compliments on my hair!! When I saw my mum she was so shocked at the difference that she's going to buy herself one (as are many of my friends)!

Never before has my hair stayed straight and frizz free all day, even when I go to clubs it looks immaculate all night! Before it would frizz up and go wavy at the first sign of any humidity or dampness but the steampod really has eliminated that. I can't give this product enough compliments - every day is a guaranteed good hair day now and I'm so happy I've found it! As corny as it sounds, it really has changed my life!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools