L'Oreal Steampod

No Image

4.5

on 5/16/2017 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Me and my sister decided to dish out 180 euro to buy this after seeing many YouTubers raving about this. This is supposed to be less damaging to your hair because it uses steam so we thought why not. I'm giving it two stars because the product does give you salon looking results but I've realized that after a few months of using it, my hair looked damaged and I had countless frizzies and broken hair as a result. This also produces static electricity and while it straightens really well the core of your hair and mostly middle part and hair ends, it won't catch any shorter hair or frizzies appearing in the hair roots and will even snap and twist them. As a result, I get perfectly smooth and straight middle part and hair ends and frizzies/broken hair on top. Same thing happened to my sister, even though we both used its own styling cream and anti-frizz products. Perhaps the plates and steam are not damaging the hair on their own but the design and static electricity snatches your hair and leaves frizzy parts. I have tried Remington irons and I didn't experience this issue so I will probably sell them on Ebay since they are so popular.

I so wanted to love this expensive tool but it didn't work for my fine and dense hair. Watching all the fab youtube reviews I was so convinced that this would do miracles for my hair but I was desilllusioned. It somewhat dried out my hair and it felt crunchy after the steam had evaporated. It also became quite complicated to comb through my fine hair. My hypothesis is that this tool is better for curly and coarse hair whereas it made my fine hair looked fried - back to my beloved and trustworthy GHD.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

My HG straightener. I had high expectations of that expensive product. I am more than impressed!This miracle steam flat iron straightens my wavy hairs easily to a sleek, shiny look. My other straighteners often made it crispy and it took long til I was satisfied with the result. The steam really seems to work. It only works with destilled water, please never consider mixing it with something. It will only damage your Steampod. The new white one is ok, but sometimes there is water coming out of one the holes and it doesn't make my hair so flawless like the black one. So stay with the original. You will fall in love with it and your hair.

on 3/18/2016 8:58:00 AM

This is the holy grail of hair straighteners. I have been using GHD's for years thinking I couldn't find anything better but they were destroying the ends of my hair and I had lots of broken bits around my temples where the hair isn't as strong. My friend who has similar hair to me, coarse textured, color processed etc recommended this and actually let me try hers out and I haven't looked back. I know it's expensive but not much more than a GHD and 10 times more effective. I use it with the recommended loreal keratin steampod treatment which costs an extra €20 but you only use a small amount otherwise it weighs your hair down. I have tried it just with my morronan oli and its not as effective so to me the keratin treatment is necessary in my case anyway. The steam seems to be more gentle on hair than the dry heat of a normal straightener but you do have to blowdry forst as needs to be used on dry hair. The unit itself is quite bulky if you wished to pack it so I don't know what I'm going to for holidays as I dread the thought of not having it there with me. If you are thinking of investing in this product, for your own sake do so, you won't regret it!!

on 3/6/2016 6:26:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Even when my hair is blow dried by a hairdresser, the style only lasts a couple of hours before frizzing. With my own GHDs it looks OK for about an hour provided I don't go out in any sort of humidity.
My new Steampod is FANTASTIC!

Whatever the weather, with only a blob of styling cream and a few minutes steaming, my hair is truly manageable for the first time in my life. Worth every penny!

on 3/1/2016 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I hesitated to buy this because I thought that the price is ridiculous for a hair styling tool, but if I had to pay for it again I would, without a second thought. I have no words to express the miracle that is the Steampod. All the positive reviews you have read are right.

I have fine, frizzy, dry-ish very long hair. My GHD's straightened it alright but my hair looked dried, flat and fried. Enter the Steampod. I straighten my hair in 5 minutes and every time, every single time, my hair looks glossy, healthy and full. No frizz even when I get rain on it! For the first time in my life someone thought that my hair is probably extensions because they look so 'lush, healthy, long and full' ! My husband, who initially had a heart attack upon learning the price, said 'Why didn;t you buy it before? Your hair looks the best I have ever seen it'. It is this good. I actually cannot wait to wash my hair and style it. I wish I could figure out how to create waves with it but I haven't yet. I love, love, love it.

on 5/13/2015 8:47:00 PM

the best straightener i have ever tried! it leaves the hair shiny, smooth, very sleek AND looking healthy! i have curly hair and i straightened it on the lowest heat setting and i only ran once or twice over every strand...made my hair look sleek like never before and they were really soft! result stays longer than 3 days ...loveeee it!

on 5/8/2015 8:23:00 AM

the water it steams into your hair weighed down my fine hair and made it look oily. Unfortunately it didn't work for me

on 5/6/2015 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

If I could think of some way to say even more about how fab my steampod is than the 6 reviews already I would! Don't be put off by the price (I paid $150). If you have dry thick frizzy or afro relaxed hair go out and buy this now!!! It looks bulky and heavy after sleek GHDs but it's really easy to get the hang of and it works like a miracle!! I've had GHDs which made my hair dry and broke the ends. All other straightners I've tried have as well but the steampod really does transform my hair and I would never go back to managing my hair without it. I have relaxed hair and I blow-dry my hair first with indola straightening blow-dry spray mixed with loreal extraordinary oil. After blowdrying, my hair is a nicer texture but the steampod transforms it into straight silky hair which looks as if I've just come from the salon - and it lasts! I touch up the ends each morning til I next wash my hair. I use the steampod at its lowest setting 170degrees with Moroccan oil glimmershine spray. Lowest setting is fine even for my relaxed hair. I recommend only using it on completely dry hair to make sure you get the silky finish and don't end up with frizzy roots. It does get hot but like all straightners just be careful round your ears. The steam isn't so hot just the plates. It's hard to describe but there's a built in mini comb which works with the plates and this seems to make all the difference compared to normal straightners. I've been using my steampod for 2 years now and my hair is strong and healthy .... And it's grown!!! -All you out there with afro relaxed hair will know how hard it is to stop your ends from breaking and get your hair to grow!! I now officially have a medium long bob from starting out with a crop cut! The steampod won't damage your ends nearly as much as straightners. The only thing I haven't liked is the steampod keratin cream and serum. They were OK but quite.pricy and didn't give.me the same shine and softness as my extraordinary oil and glimmershine spray. But the steampod straightners are the very best thing I use on my hair - 5 out of 5 *+!!!!! :-D

on 10/22/2014 8:34:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I LOVE THIS STRAIGHTENER!!! Okay so this thing was way too expensive, I think I paid about $250 for it plus the cost of the keratin cream that goes with it. I did not buy the serum just the cream. I have coarse, wiry, damaged, dry hair that is prone to breakage and is thinly dispersed (but very thick individual strands). I also experience hair loss on a semi regular basis (off and on a couple times a year).
I have bought a number of hair straightening products, some from recommendations on here, some from infomercials lol. Nothing has ever worked as well as this straightener.
The straightener itself is bulky, it has directional arrows to tell you which way to pull it through the hair and it is connected to a little pod you fill with water (I used distilled). It has a low, medium and high setting and lights up and locks when it reaches temperature. It heats up very quickly and after you press the plates together a few times you hear the hiss of steam working it's way through the machine and you will start to see the steam coming through some small holes on the side of the unit.
I apply the L'oreal steampod keratin cream to damp hair and a hair serum (I use John Frieda full repair) and then I blow dry it into a giant frizz ball. I do not do the partially dry hair thing they say you can do, I have tried it and it works but I feel like it's not as nice as when I use it on completely dried hair. I will say that I have let my hair air dry and used the straightener and the results were as nice as blow drying first.
I like to pin the top half of my hair up and start by working on the hair underneath. Then move on to the top after. There is no missing any hair with this. The hair that's had the straightener used on it looks and feels like another persons hair, it makes that much of a difference. It makes my hair look the way I thought only the salon could do, it looks like regular straight shiny hair, like I was born with it and it's healthy and beautiful.
I can't recommend this straightener enough, I've had no damage no far (had this about 6 months now) and I have no buyers remorse, and I always have buyers remorse!!
I do recommended having your stylist use this on you at the salon if you can find a place that has one. I did this and it made my decision to buy one so much easier. The results you get at home really will be exactly the same as the salon results.

Popular Hair Styling Tools