Yves Saint Laurent Rebel Nude

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
No Image

3.8

This lip product is the ONLY lipstick my husband has actually commented on saying ' wow, I love that shade of lipstick you're wearing today...'. Great gloss, non sticky and nude is a lovely soft pink. Last for ages and ages and isnt too too glossy.

on 8/20/2015 12:07:00 PM

Something that I adore the original of, but not its neighbouring sibling so much.

This is the lackluster version of the glossy stain original, a sheer and sparkling imitation.

My lips are pigmented to begin with, so there is only a hint of colour that is expressed. I attempted to put a concealer, a nude lipstick underneath, and it accentuated the colours a bit more, but not to much avail.

The shade I tried was one of the more pigmented ones, 108 Violine out of Control. Swatched on the hand, its a beautiful sheeny pink-tinged purple. On the lips, its a mellow vague cool-toned pink.

I was disappointed, but alas, the fact that it did not suit me does not mean it will not suit you.

I prefer the original glossy stains, and the water pop stains over.
However. I do prefer these over the tint-in-oil, a similar cousin in the line.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

ABOUT ME: I'm a 43-year old Latina woman with very fair olive skin (mature/combination/sensitive type). I have some minor facial lines and redness. My lips are slender and delicate, pale plum in tone.

USAGE: I've used YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain Rebel Nudes in the following colors: 101 Nude Provoateur; 108 Violine Out of Control; and 110 Reckless Pink. I've applied over bare lips, or over light mauve tinted lip balm, or over N.Y.C. Smooch-Proof Stain. As of 11/20/13, I've been using the product less than 1 week.

RESULTS/REVIEW: This is a mixed bag for me. Colors and application are very nice, but the finish and wear are underwhelming. No matter how elegant and "high end" the YSL label/price might be, IMHO there are good AND BETTER, more affordable and cruelty-free options out there.

Packaging struck me as clunky and fairly cheap-looking. Normally I wouldn't count that against a cosmetic product, but for $34 for a TINY amount of gloss, I think YSL should do better than this. One positive: the dimensions of the packaging are about the same as most standard lipsticks so it will fit in storage compartments designed to hold lipsticks.

All the colors were nice and complementary to my skin tone. 101 Nude Provoateur is the most versatile shade and will likely work for most cool, neutral, and SOME "lukewarm" skin tones. It's a mauve-y light chocolate and the hint of shimmer in the tube doesn't show on the lips. I reach for it more than the other two colors because of its versatility. 110 Reckless Pink is a gorgeous naked pink. If you're looking for a genuinely nude, healthy lip color, this is it. I like using it when I'm wearing lighter colored clothing. 108 Violine Out of Control is too deep to look natural on me, but it'll work quite well for more medium-dark skin tones. I really like the color for a brighter, more dramatic but still lightweight, look.

Applies like a dream, very slick, and the applicator is easy to handle. I get wonderful shaping for my "kitten lips" and it's pretty mistake-proof. I prefer one coat, but it is buildable over itself and other products. Opaque finish is easily achieved.

Again, for the cost, wear should be better. Despite claims to the contrary, it's slightly sticky/tacky. Not terrible, but (AGAIN!) much cheaper non-sticky glosses exist. It's DS counterpart, L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain, isn't sticky and easily outlasts this product. After eating a cup of yogurt, much of the product wore off and I had a shiny nude lip line and matte center. The finish isn't super glossy and is more comparable to shiny cream lipstick.

It's pretty, lightweight, and relatively low-maintenance. Just not glamorous and exciting enough to merit the cost. Probably won't repurchase. Sorry, but for this amount of money, the product should be superior in EVERY WAY. L'Oreal Colour Caresse doesn't have the nicest colors, but it easily outperforms this product.

on 9/11/2013 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I am a lippy ho and I adore nude colors. This stuff is glorious. I put on one coat, let dry without smooshing, then after two minutes apply a second coat. I noticed the scent the first time I put it on only because others had mentioned it in their reviews but I don't think it is nearly as strongly scented as some other lip colors out there (Chanel I am talking about you). The subtle glossiness stays for hours and then you still have the stain carrying on. Lasts through eating, drinking, hours at work. Worth every penny. I have 106 and 101. I can toss everything else now....this is it for me.