Yves Saint Laurent Rebel Nude

No Image

3.8

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh wow, get thee to a YSL counter! I bought this after it was recommended by Sali Hughes on her website. I am not a fan of lipgloss at all due to sticky hair/gloop dislike, but I like the idea of it, and I am a bit scared of strong lip colour, so I thought this might be a great foot in the door. The product is gorgeous! It has a doe foot applicator and all the colours are lovely, but I went for 105 which is a bright pinky nude. It lasts for hours, gives a gorgeous gloss with a slight shimmer, stains but doesn't sink into lip lines. Has a bit of a strange smell and the feel of it takes a bit of getting used to,in that it stays quite tacky on the lips, but is no way as gloopy as gloss.

I can best describe it, texture and performance-wise, as a cross between Benefit's Benetint and a normal gloss.

It's not cheap (I paid about £23.50) but I do not regret it as I haven't seen anything else like it on the market yet.

on 9/11/2013 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I am a lippy ho and I adore nude colors. This stuff is glorious. I put on one coat, let dry without smooshing, then after two minutes apply a second coat. I noticed the scent the first time I put it on only because others had mentioned it in their reviews but I don't think it is nearly as strongly scented as some other lip colors out there (Chanel I am talking about you). The subtle glossiness stays for hours and then you still have the stain carrying on. Lasts through eating, drinking, hours at work. Worth every penny. I have 106 and 101. I can toss everything else now....this is it for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

ABOUT ME: I'm a 43-year old Latina woman with very fair olive skin (mature/combination/sensitive type). I have some minor facial lines and redness. My lips are slender and delicate, pale plum in tone.

USAGE: I've used YSL Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain Rebel Nudes in the following colors: 101 Nude Provoateur; 108 Violine Out of Control; and 110 Reckless Pink. I've applied over bare lips, or over light mauve tinted lip balm, or over N.Y.C. Smooch-Proof Stain. As of 11/20/13, I've been using the product less than 1 week.

RESULTS/REVIEW: This is a mixed bag for me. Colors and application are very nice, but the finish and wear are underwhelming. No matter how elegant and "high end" the YSL label/price might be, IMHO there are good AND BETTER, more affordable and cruelty-free options out there.

Packaging struck me as clunky and fairly cheap-looking. Normally I wouldn't count that against a cosmetic product, but for $34 for a TINY amount of gloss, I think YSL should do better than this. One positive: the dimensions of the packaging are about the same as most standard lipsticks so it will fit in storage compartments designed to hold lipsticks.

All the colors were nice and complementary to my skin tone. 101 Nude Provoateur is the most versatile shade and will likely work for most cool, neutral, and SOME "lukewarm" skin tones. It's a mauve-y light chocolate and the hint of shimmer in the tube doesn't show on the lips. I reach for it more than the other two colors because of its versatility. 110 Reckless Pink is a gorgeous naked pink. If you're looking for a genuinely nude, healthy lip color, this is it. I like using it when I'm wearing lighter colored clothing. 108 Violine Out of Control is too deep to look natural on me, but it'll work quite well for more medium-dark skin tones. I really like the color for a brighter, more dramatic but still lightweight, look.

Applies like a dream, very slick, and the applicator is easy to handle. I get wonderful shaping for my "kitten lips" and it's pretty mistake-proof. I prefer one coat, but it is buildable over itself and other products. Opaque finish is easily achieved.

Again, for the cost, wear should be better. Despite claims to the contrary, it's slightly sticky/tacky. Not terrible, but (AGAIN!) much cheaper non-sticky glosses exist. It's DS counterpart, L'Oreal Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain, isn't sticky and easily outlasts this product. After eating a cup of yogurt, much of the product wore off and I had a shiny nude lip line and matte center. The finish isn't super glossy and is more comparable to shiny cream lipstick.

It's pretty, lightweight, and relatively low-maintenance. Just not glamorous and exciting enough to merit the cost. Probably won't repurchase. Sorry, but for this amount of money, the product should be superior in EVERY WAY. L'Oreal Colour Caresse doesn't have the nicest colors, but it easily outperforms this product.

love love love! pur couture is my HG for gloss/liquid lipcolor and it's hard to find things that don't dry out my lips or highlight dry patches, etc. this product is amazing! it wears well (i get about 4 hours without reapplication) and gives a light stain for a mlbb look. typically i am paranoid when wearing lipcolor and want to keep checking to make sure it's not dry or only on the lipline, but with this product, i feel confident it still looks good (or at least isn't all over the place). rebel nudes are very neutral/sheer so it's just a touch of color for a very natural look.

on 5/13/2014 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I am a big fan of the YSL glossy stains - I own several of them and use them on nearly a daily basis (see some of my other reviews) - but this review is for shade 101/Nude Provocateur in particular. With this shade I found the same great formula as in my other traditional YSL glossy stains, with the difference being the addition of the very slight, pretty shimmer that the Rebel Nudes line offers. My issue with this particular shade is with the fact that it simply doesn't work with my complexion - it doesn't register on my lips/face, period. I am an olive-skinned Latina (NC 42 in winter when I purchased this, and definitely more tan in the summer) and unfortunately found this product to be the equivalent of very expensive, long-lasting clear shimmer gloss on me. I imagine that it will be of even less use to me in the summer. However, as I've already stated many of the other YSL glossy stains contain more than enough pigment to work beautifully on tan/darker skin tones, and in general it's a fantastic product. I just wish that the line contained a flattering nude for darker skin tones.

on 6/25/2014 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I purchased this glossy stain after reading amazing reviews on it both from professionals and makeup lovers. And I haven't been disappointed, it really is a great product - not as sticky as gloss, but not quite matte as lipstick, so just perfect for my purposes. I have the one in Corail Mutin, shade 102, it's a true coral without any pink or brown undertones. The color intensity is nice, too, it's not sheer and you can build it to achieve a brighter shade. The important part is the applicator - I'm absolutely in love with it, it's made out of some silky-feeling material, and it just feels like no other applicator I've tried before, it's like a feathery massage for your lips (OK, I guess you got it that I have crazy addiction to this stuff). It has a nice wine-berry smell, it's not overpowering, even though I mostly don't like scented makeup. The price tag is up there, but it's totally worth it. I want to repurchase in every shade)).

on 6/25/2014 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Oh Wow! I really wanted to love this Lip gloss/ lip stain, but I hate the way it seems to SHRINK my lips! I have naturally full lips and all of the rebel nudes had the same weird effect. Almost like saran rap melted on my lips. Odd.

on 8/20/2015 12:07:00 PM

Something that I adore the original of, but not its neighbouring sibling so much.

This is the lackluster version of the glossy stain original, a sheer and sparkling imitation.

My lips are pigmented to begin with, so there is only a hint of colour that is expressed. I attempted to put a concealer, a nude lipstick underneath, and it accentuated the colours a bit more, but not to much avail.

The shade I tried was one of the more pigmented ones, 108 Violine out of Control. Swatched on the hand, its a beautiful sheeny pink-tinged purple. On the lips, its a mellow vague cool-toned pink.

I was disappointed, but alas, the fact that it did not suit me does not mean it will not suit you.

I prefer the original glossy stains, and the water pop stains over.
However. I do prefer these over the tint-in-oil, a similar cousin in the line.

This lip product is the ONLY lipstick my husband has actually commented on saying ' wow, I love that shade of lipstick you're wearing today...'. Great gloss, non sticky and nude is a lovely soft pink. Last for ages and ages and isnt too too glossy.

Popular Lip Glosses