NYX Professional Makeup Makeup Setting Spray - Matte Finish

Filtered by hair type : Straight

2.9

Water / Aqua / Eau, Alcohol, VP/VA Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Niacinamide, Sodium Salicylate, Plantago Lanceolata Leaf Extract, Mahonia Aquifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Phenoxyethanol.

I haven't reviewed anything in a LONG time, but I was so thrilled with this product that I wanted to take a minute to praise it and tell you how I use it.

First, I have acne prone, combination skin. I have gotten most of my acne under control, but my T-zone is still extremely greasy/oily. Foundations always break down between by eyebrows and around my nose/chin no matter what their formulation is. I heard about this spray on YouTube- and decided to try. My application method made it work better for me.

This is going to sound weird, so bear with me- but I actually apply this product first to clean skin. Once it dries, I apply a very thin layer of a primer, then I apply my foundation with a damp sponge. Then, some powder on top to set it and another quick spray of this on top. I've been testing this for a week or so and my foundation has held up much better than usual and I don't look as powdery/dry. When I only apply it as a finishing spray, it doesn't work as well, so try my method! I'll have to revisit this review in the summertime, but so far so good.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is one of the better drugstore setting sprays that I've tried in a while. The Wet n Wild one didn't work well for my oily skin. It didn't make my makeup last any longer than it usually did. This NYX one has become my holy grail! It lasts the whole day and my skin looks so much better at the end of the day. This is $7, which I personally think is a little high for a drugstore setting spray. But I will continue to buy this if it keeps my makeup on though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is one of the very rare products I used only about 10 times before I tossed it - I didn't manage to make it work for me whatsoever. I like may of the NYX products, but not this one. I bought this and a couple of other setting sprays, to pick one that would be suitable for my wedding. I live quite far up north, where it is relatively cold, humid and windy.

I don't remember the scent of this, but it did have some kind of scent to it, but no perfume. It said on the packaging to shake it well (which is very common for setting sprays), which I did, probably for a minute. Then I sprayed a couple of sprays into the air before testing this out on my makeup. I prefer setting sprays to come out in very fine mists, which this did not. I could see a lot of small drops on my face, which then transformed into small whitish dots. Not good.

Then was the longevity- and finish test. This did NOT make my makeup last longer - it made it go patchy faster. The finish wasn't matte either - I got oily quite fast (I have normal skin), and it felt tight - I could actually feel the setting spray on me face. This is often something that happens when a product dehydrates my skin. I tried to apply some powder in my t-zone, but it didn't manage to keep the shine away for long.

I tried this with several foundations: both liquid and powder, and both over and under makeup - I wasn't able to make it work in any of the ways I tried, plus, it gave me small bumps on my face. I'm not sure what my sensitive skin dislikes about this spray, but it was not for me. I much prefer the Urban Decay All Nighter, which keeps me matte and makes my makeup last longer, as promised. Maybe the NYX one would work better for someone who has skin that doesn't get dehydrated easily

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I've used this so many times and I feel like it does absolutely nothing for me. I wanted to like it - it's reasonably cheap and NYX is a reasonably good brand. I'd much rather spend a bit extra on a product that actually works for my skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I don't have severely oily skin, but maybe an hour after applying this spray my face was already a little bit oily. It didn't keep me matte at all.

However, it does minimize the cakey look after applying powder, and does not aggravate my sensitive skin. There are definitely better drugstore setting sprays.

YES I RECOMMEND!!! Travel Friendly and last 6 hours sedentary work

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Did nothing for me. Did not make anything matte and I got oily in just the same amount of time as usual

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Bought it while waiting for my HG spray Skindinavia to arrive. I went for NYX because it’s cheaper than UD. I usually don’t go for matte, but it was the only option left at my local London Drugs.

My Skindinavia order ended up arrive way later than expected, but I wasn’t concerned. NYX spray had exceeded my expectation in many aspects.

Pros
Best spray mechanism. It produces finer mist than UD or Skindinavia.
It gives a matte finish, I mean very matte. My face stays matte 12 hours later (I have dry skin, but imagine that it would work well for oily gals too).
While being matte, it doesn’t make me look flat or dull. My skin looks and feels velvety.

Now, the cons
While the mist is finer, it takes a long time for the product to sink into the skin. It just sits on top of my skin for almost a minute. I found that weird. After a minute, everything is well absorbed and it looks great. I usually give my face a quick dust of MUFE HD Powder just in case to make sure that my face is completely dry.

Another quirk is my face always feels a bit tight after putting it on, maybe because it’s so matte. The feeling lasts for a couple of hours, not a big deal.

Tip: You have to make sure that your makeup is all good before spraying it. Once you put it on, it sets your makeup solid, so trying to fix your makeup after that will be next to impossible. It will not budge and any makeup that you put on top will seem patchy.

Verdict: Although NYX spray will never replace my HG, I will repurchase it for sure because how it makes my makeup looks great and last until the end of day. I like it even better than UD.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ive been using this spray for about 3 months and I feel like it helps my makeup last longer and it helps control my oily skin.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I feel like this product does help to prolong the life of my makeup during the day. I wish it did a better job because my makeup still comes off rather easily.