TheBalm Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow Palette

TheBalm MMN inside/eyeshadowsTheBalm MMN frontTheBalm MMN back/ingredients

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After watching many YouTube tutorials and hauls that included TheBalm products, I knew I had to try some. I kept my eye on Hautelook and ordered a slew of things when TheBalm made it's way onto the site. One of those items was this palette and let me tell you... all the fabulous things I had seen and heard about this palette were totally true! First off, the packaging is adorable, like all of TheBalm products. The eye shadows are each named after various Matt names. Each one is highly pigmented, creamy and with superior blendability. They stay on my lids all day - although, I admit I never apply eye shadow without a primer. What I love is that they are all practical colours that anyone could use in their makeup collection and since they are all matte, you don't have an overload of shimmer/sparkle that can sometimes be overdone. You can literally make hundreds of looks from casual/daytime to smoky to night-time glam. If you do feel that you need at least a little bit of shimmer (for the inner corners of the eyes or brow bone), use any regular face highlighter to accent the look (I LOVE the Mary Loumanizer!). To top it off, since I got it from Hautelook, the price was unbeatable and I think the value for what you get is out of this world. I would have paid full price for it. Totally recommend!

on 3/3/2015 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

Aww man! I guess I'm the minority when it comes to this palette (literally and figuritively) :p

Sorry, I really don't like this palette. Don't get me wrong, it does have staying power and it doesn't crease even with OUT primer, but sadly on me the colors are VERY dull and muted. Now I noticed that 95% of the ladies that reviewed this palette range from fair to olive and therein lies my problem. I don't think these colors are for dark skinned black women (for reference I'm a NW45). I used the following colors -

Matt Lombardi
Matt Singh
Matt Rosen
Matt Malloy

My eyelids ended up looking a "Matt Grey". :( Bummer because I really really wanted to love this palette! I'll give it a few more tries but I have a feeling this will be a "gift" to one of my fair skinned friends!

Cute pakaging though.

on 9/9/2013 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is the best matte neutral palette on the market. It has almost every neutral color you can possibly need in a matte finish. Wait for TheBalm on Hautelook to get it for around 40-50 percent off. Don't waste money on the UD Naked Basics.

on 1/26/2015 6:01:00 AM

For a long time I couldn't decide whether to purchase this palette, and now I'm SO glad I did.

The palette contains 9 neutral-toned matte eyeshadows in both warm and cool tones. The amount of product is huge, 25.5 g / 0.9 OZ in total, which makes this a great value (I purchased mine for about 30 ). The cardboard packaging is lightweight and comes with a sleeve and a good-sized mirror. However, it might not be ideal for traveling as cardboard's not a very durable material. Personally, I adore the light and thin cardboard packaging with the large mirror. The shadows are mica-based, talc-free and unfragranced.

As to the quality of the shadows, I'm impressed: they're very pigmented, easy to blend, pretty true to the colors in the pan, and the fallout is minimal. I find myself reaching for this palette frequently for both everyday and special occasions makeup. I use these with a primer and they last well on my lids. The colors vary from pure white to dark brown.
This is an amazing palette for people with hooded eyes or for those who want a basic, all-rounder matte palette to replenish their shimmery e/s palettes. It's also a great value for money as the pigmentation is great and the shadows are huge.

However, if you love shimmery colors or only use warm or cool colors, you might not find it as useful. Please note also that the palette does't contain a basic black eyeshadow, only a deep brown. This is also not the best palette for traveling (although it's lightweight) since it's quite big and most likely not very durable. If these aren't problems for you, I'd say that definitely try this out! :)

on 9/11/2014 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought Meet Matt(e) Nude Palette a few months ago at a heavy discount from Hautelook.com. The discount definitely helped up my rating of this product's price. I'd be less enthusiastic if I'd payed full price.

As you can see from the picture on this website, the palette contains 9 shades of eyeshadow, mostly in earthy brown shades. They are all very, very matte, which is exactly what I wanted (shimmer eyeshadow stops being your friend after you reach a certain age). Most of the colors tend towards the warmer side and many may be too dark for fair skin, however the picture does not accurately show the colors, which are not so dark.

I am fair skinned and tend to avoid prefer cool colors and Matt Abdul is definitely my favorite color in the palette, it is a perfect cool taupe for when I want a natural look (my husband sometimes cannot tell I'm wearing any shadow when I use it, but it brings out my blue/green/gray eyes very nicely). I also use Matt Hung, which is a cool brown with a bit of purple. For my brow bone I use Matt Singh, an orangey color with Matt Maloy (a pure white) over it. Matt Singh alone does not look good on me without the white over it to make it more flesh toned. The other colors do not get a lot of use because they are too dark, and/or too warm for my skin tone. I could use some of them as liners, but Matt Lombardi, a very warm brown, and Matt Rosen, golden yellow are just not for me. That is what happens with most palettes, there are always some colors you never use.

What I love about these shadows is that they go on very smoothly and remind me of velvet. They have great staying power with no creasing and very little fading after 12 hours when I use with a primer. They are highly pigmented, so a little goes a long way. I've used Matt Abdul every day for weeks and it barely looks touched.

The packaging is adorable and although it is made of cardboard, it has a nice sized mirror and is magnetized to stay closed when you close it.

All in all, this is my favorite eyeshadow set, specifically because of the Matt Abdul color, but I think a lot of people would find it to be a worthwhile purchase.

I get the distinct feeling, after several uses of this palette, that it was entirely conceived of be put on over eyelid primer. This peeves me to no end. Eyelid primer is great and if you like what it does to your make-up, you should use it. But no makeup product should work only if it is used in conjunction with a primer. Eyeshadow ought to stand on its own two feet. Especially at this kind of price. And this doesn't.

In the end it's kind of chalky and the colors go on dull and don't blend well. The staying power is fine, but why bother when the colors are dulling. In the end, the effect is only average -- not elegant or pretty or "hey, I just splurged on this palette, but doesn't it make my eyes pop!" The colors are interesting and diverse choices for a matte nude palette, and I really quite like the packaging (comes with a nice mirror and brush). And I've loved TheBalm's blush and bronzer products. So I'm at a loss for an explanation here. But this is not worth the investment; it's only okay.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I knocked off a star for the following reasons:
1) Some of the colors i find awkward/not useful. Those colors are the stark white, the dull yellow, and the gray. I can't find a way to work these colors into my rotation and would've found a beige (brow bone highlight), a light rusty shade (warm crease color, instead of the yellow), and anything but the gray more useful. These just aren't flattering colors.
2) I wouldn't use this palette by itself -i view it as a collection of basic mattes that you would pull in for crease shades, deepening crease, liner, etc. But the colors arent vibrant enough for me to use only this palette alone.

However, this palette is soft, buttery and pigmented and easy to blend. Alot of the colors are super useful basic shades that make me pull this out (light brown, dark brown, etc), so even if you dont use this palette by itself it seriously comes in handy when doing any look.

on 3/12/2017 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this palette about 2 years ago when it was on sale at Myer and I adored the cute packaging, I didn't know anything about the shadows but I'm so glad I purchased it. As the name suggests it's a palette full of matte, nuetral shadows. I use every single one of these shades, which is extremely rare for me with an eyeshadow palette, I usually buy a whole palette for 3 or 4 shades and leave the rest untouched but all the shades in the palette are equally amazing. For matte eyeshadows, they are VERY soft and blendable and VERY pigmented. I use the white and yellow shades mixed together as an all over base and other shadows blend flawlessly on top. The dark brown shade looks so pretty to line the lid and they all stay in place and don't transfer.
The packaging is cardboard with a mirror, the pan sizes are big so you get great value and they last a long time.
I love this palette and it's my go to everyday palette for matte shadows, I would 100% repurchase as I can't name a bad thing about this product.

on 1/19/2015 9:59:00 PM

I bought this on ebay as I was looking for an affordable nude eye palette and this did not disappoint! The texture is creamy easy to apply and has good color payoff- only the white on this palette flaked alittle but otherwise the colors are varied and coordinate well with each other. I keep it in my office and it gives polished and profession look. well worth the price which in my view gives good mileage compared to my expensive nudes like the urban decay nude palettes....

I picked this beauty up on Hautelook when it was only $18 (and I'm not sure if I would've paid $42 for it, even though the palette is quite nice). The shadows are completely matte, buttery smooth and blendable. I love how there's a mix of cool and warm shades, although I wish they would've thrown in a shade like MAC's Soft Brown for a transition color. Also, the peach shade and white shade are both too stark to make a good, subtle lid color for day time -- I often have to mix them to get a nice cream color. Those are my only two minor gripes with the palette. I use it a lot, whether on its own for a sleek, all matte look, or adding one of the shades to a shimmery eye. My favorite and most used shade, the reddish brown (Matt Garcia). Love the palette but won't repurchase as I don't see myself running out any time soon.