TheBalm Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow Palette

TheBalm MMN inside/eyeshadowsTheBalm MMN frontTheBalm MMN back/ingredients

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After watching many YouTube tutorials and hauls that included TheBalm products, I knew I had to try some. I kept my eye on Hautelook and ordered a slew of things when TheBalm made it's way onto the site. One of those items was this palette and let me tell you... all the fabulous things I had seen and heard about this palette were totally true! First off, the packaging is adorable, like all of TheBalm products. The eye shadows are each named after various Matt names. Each one is highly pigmented, creamy and with superior blendability. They stay on my lids all day - although, I admit I never apply eye shadow without a primer. What I love is that they are all practical colours that anyone could use in their makeup collection and since they are all matte, you don't have an overload of shimmer/sparkle that can sometimes be overdone. You can literally make hundreds of looks from casual/daytime to smoky to night-time glam. If you do feel that you need at least a little bit of shimmer (for the inner corners of the eyes or brow bone), use any regular face highlighter to accent the look (I LOVE the Mary Loumanizer!). To top it off, since I got it from Hautelook, the price was unbeatable and I think the value for what you get is out of this world. I would have paid full price for it. Totally recommend!

on 9/9/2013 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This is the best matte neutral palette on the market. It has almost every neutral color you can possibly need in a matte finish. Wait for TheBalm on Hautelook to get it for around 40-50 percent off. Don't waste money on the UD Naked Basics.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

If i could give a million stars for packaging, i would :)
Aside from that, this palette really brings the most needed matte hues together, in HUGE pans (you know, size matters ;) ) All 9 colors will be needed at some point in your life. Yesterday i spent like 10 minutes to choose which shades to wear, they all look so wearable! Colors may look boring on the pan but they look amazing on the eye (especially for day makeup) you just cannot look like a clown no matter how hard you try to fail :)

I used these with TheBalm's "put a lid on it" primer and lasted all day. Formula is somewhat powdery, but there wasn't any fallout as far as i could see.

I believe the only one that you would hesitate to use is the off-white (matt malloy) one. It's not as soft and natural as other colors. I would prefer a beige shade instead of this.

I will definitely reach for this everyday for my casual daytime look.

on 11/17/2013 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love the colors of this palette. I think they are beautiful! I also think the packaging of the palette is cute! It has a nice big mirror and the pan sizes are amazing! That is about the end of the pros for me however. I've had this palette for so long now and I never find myself reaching for it. I find it so chalky and hard to blend. I also find that the pigmentation just isn't up to par with other eyeshadows I own. I don't recommend this palette and for the price I think you have way better options out there.

on 11/25/2013 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HG go to neutral

on 12/9/2013 4:35:00 AM

I love this palette. I love the yellow and red shades - they suit me really well. There's a great range of browns. The cream/white is a bit bright - something a teensy bit toned down would have been perfect. As it is, I still tend to use the palette by itself which means it's also easy to use!

on 1/16/2014 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The palette is what you'd expect from the description, 9 blendable, perfectly matte neutral tones. The palette leans warm, though there is a somewhat cool darker gray (Matt Johnson), a taupe, a bright creamy white, in addition to several browns. I think one of the darker browns could have been substituted for a lighter beige, but I certainly have no problem creating a number of complete looks for the palette. I like The Balm's funky packaging, though I suspect it'd get beat up being carried around every day. The mirror is a good size, but would need to be held or leaned against something to be used while applying makeup.

on 2/20/2014 4:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

These are so cute. The packaging is adorable and very campy. I have hooded eyes and low brows, so I have to do my shadow patterns (and I use that word loosely) differently. Crease color NOT is a useful concept for me. I can smudge colors above the crease and can use what I want on the lid, but it will hardly show. Shimmery aren't great if you are older, so I love a matte palette. Cheep matte shadows just don't blend well I have found out. NYX has some nice pigmented matte colors, but they don't blend well. These blend really well. I could use my finger to apply to blend them it is that easy. The downside is they can smudge and there is fall out. . But, I have havre terrible eye shadow skills though is keep trying.

Most palettes have only one two color, so even my simple patterns require foraging through two palettes. Single pots are hard to store and expensive. With palettes or even quads, you often end up with dud.colors. This palette, that has three very usable and different browns (good for brows too), a smokey gray and purplish gray, a peachy pink, a white and a yellowy one (that to my surprise looks normal right under the brow). They are all usable. Woo hoo!!! The packaging is very cute and stores well. You get a decent size pan of each color (not sure how deep they go) and a large mirror. So it opens and closes easily, with a nice strong magnet and are not expensive . So I was very happy to Meet Matte in the nude and might get the other Matte set. I have had terrible luck with most shadows, especially palettes. So this just what I have been looking for.

Update: I do find these can be messy to work with, but do love the colors. Mattes are ticky. The fallout is a problem. I just don't reach for them. More of a singles girl.

on 3/6/2014 5:00:00 PM

I like the idea of an all-matte palette, but I don't like this particular one at all. The shadows are poor quality--lots of fallout, and they are very dry and chalky and go on unevenly. A few of the colors aren't even wearable, in my opinion, such as Matt Schilling and Matt Horowitz. When I tried to use Matt Batali wet, as a liner, the results were disastrous. It bled all over my lid and I wound up with a large fleck in my eye, even using very little water and wiping the brush.

on 3/16/2014 9:13:00 PM

this is another theBalm product i wanted for a long time because of all the hype it got on youtube. there has also been a LOT of hype in the past several years about matte eyeshadows. i got it for about half price on hautelook, so i'm not unhappy i got this. but i rarely use it.

the product is overall very nice -- large pans, large mirror, decent selection of shades, although i agree that at least one of the 2-3 darker-medium browns could have been replaced by a lighter beige or two.

but i have learned that all-matte looks are awful on my fair-skinned Asian features which already appear to lack dimension. My eyes really need a metallic taupe/silver/gold on my lids framed by some purple or brown on outer "V" -- with definite needs for matte cream tone as browbone highlight or matte medium brown in the "crease" (imaginary) to blend out the lid colors.

i definitely do not need an entire huge palette of matte shades for my eyelooks. i'm okay with having this one that i barely use because i only paid around $20 for it.