TheBalm Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

I love it

on 3/12/2017 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this palette about 2 years ago when it was on sale at Myer and I adored the cute packaging, I didn't know anything about the shadows but I'm so glad I purchased it. As the name suggests it's a palette full of matte, nuetral shadows. I use every single one of these shades, which is extremely rare for me with an eyeshadow palette, I usually buy a whole palette for 3 or 4 shades and leave the rest untouched but all the shades in the palette are equally amazing. For matte eyeshadows, they are VERY soft and blendable and VERY pigmented. I use the white and yellow shades mixed together as an all over base and other shadows blend flawlessly on top. The dark brown shade looks so pretty to line the lid and they all stay in place and don't transfer.
The packaging is cardboard with a mirror, the pan sizes are big so you get great value and they last a long time.
I love this palette and it's my go to everyday palette for matte shadows, I would 100% repurchase as I can't name a bad thing about this product.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I knocked off a star for the following reasons:
1) Some of the colors i find awkward/not useful. Those colors are the stark white, the dull yellow, and the gray. I can't find a way to work these colors into my rotation and would've found a beige (brow bone highlight), a light rusty shade (warm crease color, instead of the yellow), and anything but the gray more useful. These just aren't flattering colors.
2) I wouldn't use this palette by itself -i view it as a collection of basic mattes that you would pull in for crease shades, deepening crease, liner, etc. But the colors arent vibrant enough for me to use only this palette alone.

However, this palette is soft, buttery and pigmented and easy to blend. Alot of the colors are super useful basic shades that make me pull this out (light brown, dark brown, etc), so even if you dont use this palette by itself it seriously comes in handy when doing any look.

on 7/16/2016 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I expected it to be love at first use between me and Matt(e) Nude, since it was definitely love at first sight. But it actually took me a while to get into this palette, in the end. Being in love with all thebalm products I had tried up until this one, I kept using it, and it grew on me. I'm not used to working with matte shadows, to be honest, so part of the problem might be just that. When I finally "got" this product, I started to really love the depth and definition these shadows can give the eyes. Even when I don't do an all matte look, I like to reach for this palette for a crease colour. I love the packaging, it's whimsical and cute as all thebalm packaging are, love the generous amount of shadow in there and the huge mirror. I love that the shadows are blendable and I love the mix of cold and warm toned shades. I do wish that the shadows had been a little bit more creamy and pigmented, however. It does kick up a lot of powder when you dip your brush in the shadows, and the colour payoff could (and would) be better with a more creamy/butter-y texture. It's a great matte palette to have on hand though, and I would really like to try the Meet Matt(e) Trimony, which has lovely shades and hopefully a slightly updated and better formula.

+ Cruelty free
+ Nice mix of warm toned and cool toned shadows
+ Blends well
+ A lot of product
+ BIG mirror
+ Cute packaging

- A little bit chalky and powdery
- Some shades could be a little more pigmented
- A step up from drugstore in price

I get the distinct feeling, after several uses of this palette, that it was entirely conceived of be put on over eyelid primer. This peeves me to no end. Eyelid primer is great and if you like what it does to your make-up, you should use it. But no makeup product should work only if it is used in conjunction with a primer. Eyeshadow ought to stand on its own two feet. Especially at this kind of price. And this doesn't.

In the end it's kind of chalky and the colors go on dull and don't blend well. The staying power is fine, but why bother when the colors are dulling. In the end, the effect is only average -- not elegant or pretty or "hey, I just splurged on this palette, but doesn't it make my eyes pop!" The colors are interesting and diverse choices for a matte nude palette, and I really quite like the packaging (comes with a nice mirror and brush). And I've loved TheBalm's blush and bronzer products. So I'm at a loss for an explanation here. But this is not worth the investment; it's only okay.

on 1/26/2015 6:01:00 AM

For a long time I couldn't decide whether to purchase this palette, and now I'm SO glad I did.

The palette contains 9 neutral-toned matte eyeshadows in both warm and cool tones. The amount of product is huge, 25.5 g / 0.9 OZ in total, which makes this a great value (I purchased mine for about 30 ). The cardboard packaging is lightweight and comes with a sleeve and a good-sized mirror. However, it might not be ideal for traveling as cardboard's not a very durable material. Personally, I adore the light and thin cardboard packaging with the large mirror. The shadows are mica-based, talc-free and unfragranced.

As to the quality of the shadows, I'm impressed: they're very pigmented, easy to blend, pretty true to the colors in the pan, and the fallout is minimal. I find myself reaching for this palette frequently for both everyday and special occasions makeup. I use these with a primer and they last well on my lids. The colors vary from pure white to dark brown.
This is an amazing palette for people with hooded eyes or for those who want a basic, all-rounder matte palette to replenish their shimmery e/s palettes. It's also a great value for money as the pigmentation is great and the shadows are huge.

However, if you love shimmery colors or only use warm or cool colors, you might not find it as useful. Please note also that the palette does't contain a basic black eyeshadow, only a deep brown. This is also not the best palette for traveling (although it's lightweight) since it's quite big and most likely not very durable. If these aren't problems for you, I'd say that definitely try this out! :)

on 10/23/2014 10:25:00 AM

So far I am veeeeery satisfied with this palette! It has become my go-to palette for the daytime, and I've been having great fun putting together different looks. There's a good mix of cool and warm shades, a nice variety of different browns especially. Each eyeshadow seems to have good pigmentation, and the pans are enormous. This will last you a long time! I really needed a matte pallete to balance out all the shimmers you get in other palettes, so this worked out nicely.

This is a great matte pallete the shadows are quite large and you need so little shadow. I do not think I will run out of any of these shadows. I am a bit worried about the shadows braking when traveling due to the packaging that's what happened to another the balm palette I owned. I bought mine on hautelook for $18 which is really cheap for a palette that normally is $48 now that I own it and have used it for months I can say I would pay the $48 for it but before I would not have.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Most useful palette I'd ever have. There are several reasons why I think it is. First, A+ for the packaging. It holds a lot of product in a thin and sturdy cardboard packaging. It is also light weight and is about the same size as an ipad mini, which makes it a very easy product to carry around. The eyeshadows are very pigmented and the formula is great with minimal fall out. The colors are perfect, you can make a million looks with this palette alone or pair it with other eyeshadows. The darker colors can be use as eyeliner and the lighter ones like Matte Singh and Matte Lombardi can be used as an all over lid shadow or transitioning shadow. The slightly darker mauve color, like Matte Abdul and Matte Hung can be use on the outer corner of the eyelids. I use this palette everyday and I love it. I highly recommend it.

on 11/17/2013 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love the colors of this palette. I think they are beautiful! I also think the packaging of the palette is cute! It has a nice big mirror and the pan sizes are amazing! That is about the end of the pros for me however. I've had this palette for so long now and I never find myself reaching for it. I find it so chalky and hard to blend. I also find that the pigmentation just isn't up to par with other eyeshadows I own. I don't recommend this palette and for the price I think you have way better options out there.