Sephora SEPHORA PANTONE COLOR IQ

Sephora  SEPHORA   PANTONE COLOR IQ

2.1

on 7/16/2016 10:35:00 AM

I visited Sephora for probably the second time yesterday. I find the store poorly lit and rather overwhelming. I'm admittedly not knowledgeable about makeup application techniques (although I'm trying to learn) and I find the perfectly made-up associates a bit intimidating, but I was looking for a specific product. While I was there, I asked about a natural looking, dewy foundation for my ridiculously sensitive, fair, acne-prone skin. The sales associate offered to color match me and I immediately jumped at the opportunity because it sounded pretty foolproof and I've never been matched. Looking back, I should've gone to the MAC store which was nearby and found my shade because that seems to be the universal gold standard and method.

Anyway, she held the little gadget up to three different points on my skin, two on my neck and one on my forehead. My neck is a completely different color than my face thanks to diligently wearing SPF 50 on my face daily. I'm okay with that. Ideally I'd like to bridge the gap between my paler face and tanner neck, but I also don't want to look like I'm wearing bad bronzer or the wrong shade. It's summer here right now, so I'm a little darker this time of year, I was informed that I'm 1R09. I had the results emailed to me and went on my way.

When I got home and looked at the shades later, I was shocked. 9?! That's medium!! I'm usually the lightest or second lightest shade in drugstore foundation shades and even those are often too dark! Today I'm wearing Alima Pure Neutral 3, which is a fantastic match. I consider myself neutral, but I have rosacea and therefore pink in my skin, so I agree with the 1R rating, but medium? I'm of Irish/German descent with freckles and dirty blonde hair with natural red highlights and can't find a shade light enough to cover a tattoo on my inner thigh. Even Kat Von D's lightest shade is too dark and peachy! I've NEVER been classified as a medium shade. It's like being told I'm a size 10 when I'm actually a 4. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a size 10 (in fact I was last year), but I'm not. Or being told that I wear a size 5 shoe when I actually wear a 8 1/2. Why wear an ill-fitting size? The same applies to an ill-fitting shade.

My excitement quickly turned to disappointment and dismay as I realized I was right back to where I started when it comes to ensuring that I'm wearing an appropriate shade for my skin after enlisting help from "experts" and technology had failed. I guess I'll head to the MAC store next time I'm in the area and shopping without my kids in tow to get a match from a live person. Maybe it was a fluke and I'll try it again for fun sometime, with an expectation of accuracy.

I rated this as a two because it was easy, free, and there was probably some validity to the determination of the color with respect to cool/warm/neutral, but definitely not with respect to dark/light. And I'm glad it was free because I would've been really annoyed if I paid for the service.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

This is actually a free service offered by Sephora. They scan your face to determine the light/dark and undertone (red/yellow) components, and then give you an ID number. This varies with the seasons - summer tan vs winter pale, flushing (increases the redness factor), skin discolorations such as moles, melasma etc.

Then they suggest (soft sell) which foundations Sephora carries that are the closest match. You're not obligated to buy, and you can ask for samples.

For me, it was quite accurate: 2Y04 in winter. My skin has quite a bit of yellow but also a bit of red. The first 2 digits indicate the mix of yellow and red/pink: 5Y being the yellowest and 5R being the reddest/pinkest. They "meet" in the middle where 1Y would be just a smidge yellow and 1R would be a smidge red, and then increase towards the extremes. So it is accurate to say my skin "leans" to the yellow with the 2Y, on the yellow side, but not far from the middle.

I was accurately rated as a mid-pigmented skin (last 2 digits): in the winter, 04 out of 15, and in the summer 07 out of 15, where 1=lightest and 15=darkest.

Go to Sephora.com, search color IQ, then click on the color chart to view the entire range, and see where you might fall in it.

I think the fit between the ratings and your foundation depends on the transparency of the foundation, the ambient lighting, as well as the color IQ rating. So the only way is to try it out is with a sample: daytime indoors and daytime outdoors, night time, camera flash etc.

The main advantage of Sephora Pantone IQ is that it limits the number of foundations you need to try out to get a perfect match - they give you both a suitable range, and an understanding of where your individual skin fits on the spectrum of human skin coloration.

You still need to try out samples, as mentioned above, because color is only one of the important variables (although an essential one).

For the record, Ellis Faas 103 Skin Veil foundation (see my review) is a perfect match for me in winter. I ordered it with great confidence because they sent a rainbow spectrum of free samples on request to try out- so I could check it out at my leisure under different circumstances. This foundation is an excellent formulation for photography (no dreaded white flash) because it was developed originally for models and professional photography. (I am no model, by the way, just someone who likes a foundation that looks natural under all circumstances and does not break me out ). On the Faas color scale of 1 to 8, I am a 3 in winter, 4 in the summer, and blend the two in spring and fall.

To Read all 40 Reviews, Login or Join

Agree with a lot of the negative reviews. My skin VERY obviously has a lot of pink in it. I tried the "Color IQ" on a lark, and it came up with a 2Y05 for my skin. The MUFE powder it had recommended was almost straight-up yellow. It looked great with the lighting in the store; when I got it home, it ended up looking too yellowish - and, eventually, as the day wore on - orange on my skin. Back it went.
The foundation that I typically use (which is a good match in natural light) is a "Pantone" 1R06, According to the Color IQ, it should be darker than a 2Y05, but the particular 1R06 foundation I use (Clinique Even Better in Ivory) is actually lighter than the 2Y05 the Color IQ recommended, and more of a pinkish light beige. So, I'd have to say this tool and the associated "color-matched foundations" could use a little tweaking. I'll continue to trust my own eye/instincts as to what matches.
Also agree with another reviewer about the store lighting. I'm starting to make more purchases at ULTA - where I have access to windows that will let me see how something looks in natural light, prior to making a purchase.

on 11/29/2015 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all let me say that I don't really know that much about foundation/skin makeup. I've never had a use for it until this year (experiencing PCOS related adult acne breakouts). I've tried a variety of samples and drugstore foundations and have found that no matter what the colour is either too dark or too pink and makes my face look hyper pigmented.

I was HOPING that this machine would help me out so I went into a sephora today. Unfortunately the only thing that this stupid thing seemed to pick up was the hyper pigmentation on my cheeks and matched me to a variety of foundations that are still too red [1R06]. My neck and forehead undertones are yellow, but I guess the darkness of the scarring threw the machine off and it assumed I wanted to match that. The sales person working though was very friendly and helpful though she ended up matching me to a foundation that was a completely different colour [2Y04]. It looked decent in the store but I've yet to go outside in it. I'm a little worried about it being too dark.

Hoping something else better comes along, I'm getting really tired of swatching and testing to make sure nothing breaks me out. Wouldn't recommend. You're better off going to a counter and having the artist swatch you based on what they can see themselves (since my sales person ended up just ignoring whatever my number was anyway).

on 10/24/2015 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

The SEPHORA + PANTONE COLOR IQ SkinTone Library is a great online reference. Though, I haven't had the in-store experience with the SEPHORA + PANTONE COLOR IQ Handheld Device. Here's some facts and tips provided by PANTONE:

Recommendations for the best SEPHORA + PANTONE COLOR IQ match:
Do not work out for 30 minutes prior to match
No chemical or harsh peels 3-6 days prior to match
Drink more water and less caffeine prior to match; caffeine restricts blood flow, effecting flush of skin
Disclose if you are wearing self-tanner to the Sephora artist for a better match

SEPHORA + PANTONE COLOR IQ Handheld Device:
Uses powerful tri-directional image capture technology
Records 27 color-accurate images in 1.8 seconds using 8 different visible illuminations and 1 ultraviolet illumination for unsurpassed accuracy
Grid of 100x100 pixels across skin sample, which then becomes one color composite
New method of color measurement, including texture and surface sample variables, allowing for the most accurate definition of color
Cameras vs. COLOR IQ device for pigment precision:
Traditional cameras use ambient light, creating huge pigment variables
COLOR IQ illuminates skin surface from 3 different directions, and does not require ambient lighting for precision matching

SEPHORA + PANTONE COLOR IQ SkinTone Library:
Ethnicity isn’t the only consideration when color matching – there are more factors in the physiology of the skin that determine color (hemoglobin, sun exposure, freckles, skin conditions, sun burn, excess or absence of melanin)
110 shades comprise the PANTONE SkinTone Library
Foundation shades are based on SEPHORA’s current foundation landscape and can be expanded as more brand offerings are added, making the most comprehensive foundation library available at retail

on 9/11/2015 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Ok, so I am a Black woman with deep yellow undertones, possibly olive. IDK, that's why I went to Sephora to find out. Well, I live in a white area and I mention that because some white women don't know how to color match WOC and I don't think Sephora teaches them. It's a different concept than matching white women. After reading the reviews I should have never trusted their system to begin with.

I went to get matched and the girl brought out the darkest color she could find and you could clearly see it was too dark. She finally brought out some colors that made more sense to my skin tone. I was matched at 1R12 and the R stands for red. I was finally happy to find something that could end my lifelong search for foundation.

Under fluorescent lighting the foundation looked like it matched. However, after wearing it outside I realized the color was way too red. I tried mixing it, but it just made it a pink color. This is my fault, but I bought the foundation from a non-sephora seller before I realized it didn't work and wasted money. I liked the foundation (Naked Skin in 10.0) so I think I will keep it, but it's definitely going to have to be mixed to make it less red or pink.

Some tips for WOC I have since learned: when you get matched, match your chest. My face is a slightly different color than my chest. It's not red, so Sephora got that wrong all together, but it's slightly more Brown. But you want your foundation to look seamless from your body up.

Nevertheless, the foundation search continues...

Edit:// Also, online, the colors don't add up. I feel like they havent really categorized everything correctly yet. For instance, I can wear Becca Tobacco (3y12) but the MUFE ULtra HD in the same category (y455) is too ashy. In the MUFE Mat Velvet, the color 57 is 2y12 but it is way darker than other 12s. It's Possibly a 13 or 14. The whole system is messed up.

I came into sephora looking for a bb cream or tinted moisturizer. I was color matched to 3Y07 and recommended a medium beige foundation. I had some foundation applied on me and realized that it was way too dark and my face and neck were now two completely different colors. Really happy that I didn't end up spending over $50 on a foundation that was 4 or 5 shades darker than my natural skin.

on 7/10/2015 2:14:00 AM

I have two problems with foundation. It tends to be too orange, and too dark. I have very fair skin with pink undertones. I was hoping that having a color IQ number would allow me to hone in on the foundations that have a really pink pale shade. There's no Sephora near me, so I need to order my makeup online, and it would be really useful to know which lines have a truly pink, pale shade. Instead, this thing ended up matching me as a medium shade with yellow undertones. So not me. (I think the actual number was 3Y05). So, we tried assorted foundations in my "matched" shade. Needless to say, none of them looked good on me. As it stands, this has pretty much been useless to me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I just don't know about the accuracy of this, or the products attached to it. I'm very, very pale. I've had to stop using foundations I've loved because the lightest shade was not light enough. Bobbi Brown has been the only foundation to match me, and it's probably the lightest I've seen. The product comparison told me this is not the lowest shade they carry (it's the second lightest, 2Y02). I thought that seemed funny, and upon looking at the 2Y01 shades, I saw a product I've used in the past that is too dark for me by quite a bit. Not sure how they decide which go into what category, but it doesn't quite seem accurate.

on 3/27/2015 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Sephora color IQ is a great concept in theory.I also been colored match incorrectly and had to returned each foundation. so been matched as a 4y05 or 6 but right now I'm using Dior Skin Flash in 200 light beige color matched # 2R07 which is perfect but also went to Macys.So Sephora SA are helpful but please look at a person"s skin tone, undertone please don't rely on color IQ.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools