Marc Jacobs Magic Marc'er Precision Pen

Marc Jacobs Magic Marc'er Precision Pen
Marc Jacobs (L) vs. Stila (R)Marc Jacobs (top) vs. Stila (bottom) liquid eyelin

3.8

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

The wear of this is great, but application is so difficult.

PROS
-nice, very deep black shade if you want drama
- no smudging
-holds a line all day

CONS
-incredibly liquidy and bleeds during application
-tip makes reasonable lines difficult; I usually end up with a thick, too-strong line that I need to soften with crayon liner on top
-I usually get SO frustrated

Sure, it lasts. There are better options out there though! I picked up the Teeez liquid liner from The Bay (Canada) online and find it so much easier to work with, same lasting power and more reasonable look. I also love Lancome Artliner, the best application tip imaginable.

on 11/3/2016 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

After using Stila's liquid eyeliner for several years, I decided to splurge on this during the Sephora FF sale.

First, the pros: Very glossy black, just right brush thickness (I thought it was thicker than the Stila but they're about the same), my eyeliner wings don't smudge.

The cons: liner faded on my lids/lashline, very difficult to remove (cleansing oil couldn't remove all of it and left black specks on my upper eyelid that I had to go over with Bioderma micellar water).

I want to like this liner but it's basically the same as the Stila liquid eyeliner but more difficult to remove.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

When i first tried this product i really loved it, then about 2 uses in i realized that i had made a huge
mistake. Ive tried giving it benefit of a doubt & have used it on several different occasions hoping for a different result, but jnfortunately each one has been the same. It applies like any other pen eyeliner & i will give it credit for being very pigmented & applies easily once you do it a few times & get the hang of the applicator. It also has really good staying power which unfortunately is actually its downfall. This product is EXTREMELY hard to get off. that means with a makeup wipe or even makeup remover with a cotton ball you have to rub super hard to get it to come off & it usually takes more than a few tries. I have slightly sensitive skin which usually just means i have to be careful with peels & scrubs, i usually never have problems with makeup. This product made my eye area red & RAW from having to scrub so hard to get it off, the area around my eyes actually hurts for a few days afterwards. The pigmentation also comes into play here too since if you dont apply it completely perfect the first time you are out of luck since its almost impossible to correct it. it either shows through concealer or just smudges into it & you cant get it off in a crisp line with makeup remover & a qtip at all. plus you would rub your eyes raw trying to do it in the first place.It also is very thick & if you have even slightly hooded eyes it transfers & sticks to your eyelids.then it just ruins your eyeshadow as well. Another thing i disliked was that this formula is that it is not matte, it had an almost shiny/oily finish that makes it look like a cheap low quality eyeliner & is not flattering in my opinion. This eyeliner is also a lot more expensive than its competetors which are much better quality & are actually workable. Im going back to my kat von d tattoo liner & never looking back at this eyeliner again. I was hoping that this would be the perfect eyeliner for me &would solve some of the issues ive had with kats eyeliner pigmentation but unfortunetely it has not. Literally throwing $30 the trash, i would not buy this unless you like to have your eyes in pain from scrubbing for the next few days or if you apply eyeliner with 100% accuracy every time.

The shape of this eyeliner is really great for an easy application. It is really easy to manuever the product to line both eyes. I use my right hand for both eyes, and I sometimes find that an eyeliner can often be hard to apply to my left eye because the right angle is blocked by my nose. The shape of this makes it very easy to apply. A thin line on my lid only takes seconds and it is quick to dry. If I do screw up, it is also easy to fix with a q-tip or anything else. This eyeliner is really waterproof, and has never transferred or ran. I have bawled my eyes out watching a movie, or gone swimming, and it does not go anywhere. The only downsides are the price, and how hard it can be to remove. I have to use a designated eye makeup remover, and I have to rub a little harder than I'd like to remove it. It is a great product and I don't see myself using anything else, but it is annoying I actually have to budget extra money to be able to buy an eyeliner.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Overall, this is a decent eyeliner and it's great for those dramatic winged eyeliner looks.
I used this for a night out in Vegas a few month ago and it didn't budge at all. Removal was a bit of a challenge and I had dark circles around my eyes the next morning still.

Despite these great attributes, I wouldn't pay the price tag for something I can get elsewhere for much cheaper, such as the Korean makeup brands. Their eye liners wear like iron and cost a fraction.

In all honesty, I haven't been drawn to the Marc Jacobs makeup line as I think it's overpriced in comparison to the quality. I got this liner as part of the Sephora point perks so at least I'm not out of pocket.

Still, if you love a luxurious black felt tip liner that doesn't move, this one is good.

on 11/23/2015 7:52:00 AM

I do a tight line and the tip is not stiff enough for that. It's almost like a brush. The color and staying power are very good but it's not nirvana for me.

on 10/14/2015 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Love it! Definitely stays true to the name of precision!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I only use liquid when I'm out of the house and in need of a touch up on my gel pot eyeliner. This is my HG liquid simply because the design of the pen makes it the easiest to apply on the go as opposed to Stila's eyeliner. The downside is it dries out quickly (1-2 months) making this an expensive habit to maintain.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a bit on a fence with this eyeliner. I love the packaging and I love how glossy black line it gives. I am less sure about the price point though.

I've been a Bobbi Brown gel liner user for years so it is my first foray into eyeliners in a pen form - and my conclusion is that it takes longer to create a line I am after (thin and very close to the lash line) with this one. I am also wondering how long this pen is going to last with a pretty much every day use (Bobbi's tiny pots lasts me at least 12 months) - so far I've had it for 2 months and I am using it at least 3 times a week and so far so good - it is still moist and it creates a reasonably thin, smooth line.

It is long lasting but it smudges slightly on my very oily eyelids although with NARS 's primer underneath it is not an issue any more.

EDIT: I had to get rid of it after 3 months of constant use because it started drying out and dragged my lid. So it is a lovely but extremely short lived product (and very expensive as well!), I will not be buying again.

on 6/9/2015 3:47:00 PM

I will repurchase this over and over again. The lasting power of this eyeliner in incredible, it lasts all day and even when I scrub with my Purity cleanser it still is a struggle to take off. I know some may see that as a con but I love it. It's very precise and fine tipped, I haven't had any problems with fraying or drying out.