Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

3.7

Talc, Mica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triisostearin, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Myristyl Trisiloxane, Soybean Glycerides, Zinc Stearate, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Unsaponifiables, Tetrasodium Edta, Silica, Dimethiconol, Bht, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide (Nano))

on 1/7/2017 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I have this in Color 05 - "medium beige with yellow undertones" & it's a perfect match for my Fall/Winter NC30 skin; there's a nice golden yellow to it (also workable as my summer NC35 skin). Major plus, there are TWENTY shades to choose from & 6 options for medium skin with yellow undertones!

The sturdy packaging includes a sponge & I use it pat it all over my face. It gives a gorgeous silky matte finish with light-medium coverage. Pores disappear & hyper pigmentation gets evened out (concealer is still necessary). It's buildable, but after 3 layers it can look powdery (but not cakey).

The talc formula gives good oil control for me; I touch up around the 4hr mark & it doesn't cake up. After a long work day it doesn't oxidize and still looks good! It's around $60 CAD & I will repurchase.

PS, I'm running low on this, so bought the Nars powder foundation SPF24 in Stromboli just to try something new. The talc-free formula of Nars has a more skin like finish & is very buildable. But doesn't control oil as well as Laura and the color is a bit too orange. Once I finish Nars, I'm going back to Laura Mericer (better shine control, more color options & sturdy packaging).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like Laura Mercier base products and this is no exception. It rivals my faithful long time standby, MAC Studio Fix powder foundation.
I use the Smooth Finish Foundation Powder for touch ups in my t-zone during the day. It's not as 'powdery' as MAC and the colour is a better match. My skin tone seems to have changed over the years compared to when I first started MAC SF in my 20s. (I'm 50 now)
My shade is no. 7 with LM (NC30 in MAC).

If I use the Smooth Finish on its own, it still looks too powdery and matte. I like the convenience of powder foundations but liquid foundations are much more flattering on me now.
I actually prefer the Smooth Finish compared to LM's original powder foundation, which goes against what others have said. (then again, I prefer the revamped version of the Silk Creme foundation)

The price tag is rather steep at $56 CAD but it's worth spending the extra money on base products and saving elsewhere.
A definite re-purchase, unless I find a less expensive alternative.

on 8/11/2016 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this powder cos it a multi tasking powder i think it suits me. You can use it wet or dry. But i really didn't like the coverage and its not long lasting with a setting spray. And i don't wear primer. I need to retouch from time to time..and the case was easily broken. I'm still using it cos its expensive. I really really like this brand but I'm so sad right now.

on 3/27/2016 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i come from a country which frustratingly stocks foundations mostly in fairer colours (i'm quite tanned), so this was god-sent (thanks sephora!). it looks so natural on my skin, i was quite taken aback when the beautician applied it. it just looked like i had better skin and not at all like i was wearing foundation. also didn't make my skin look too oily after awhile, which is what some of my previous foundations did.

a tiny bit on the pricey side, but worth it imo! i swear by this now. would recommend this to anyone, but then again, foundations can be tricky because of the varied skin tones, and no one product suits everyone.

on 3/8/2016 4:20:00 PM

This is a good foundation powder. The reason I will not buy it again is that I cannot find a good shade match.

I have to say it applies and lasts much better with a primer underneath - no need to buy expensive primer I use RImmel and it works fine. I applied with a kabuki brush and the finish is pretty nice and smooth, I just finish by gently pushing the powder into the pores on the side of my nose with the sponge (clean), as the brush alone cannot handle them.

It is a shame that the shade recommended for me is not right. I took no.5 and it's not yellow enough. It matches my face ok, but my neck is ridiculously yellow, for most other people the shades should be okay but for me the range is just not yellow-based enough.

on 1/26/2016 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Although I suffer from dry skin, I have always been on the hunt for a good powder foundation for those days when I am just running out quick to do errands and don't need a full face on. I have tried powder foundations from Chanel, MUFE, Dior, D&G, Lancome, Shiseido, Tarte, Bobbi Brown and many more but all of them left me disappointed. The only one that ever worked at all for me was/is Chantecaille's powder foundation ($78.00) but even that is lacking in wear time and coverage. This powder foundation from LM is the ONLY one so far I have tried which is designated as a keeper (I am shade 05). This is microfine and doesn't settle into lines or pores (for the most part, see below). This is also the smoothest/softest/creamiest formulated powder I have ever tried - as in it applies just as smooth as it feels to the touch in pan, which rarely happens. I only have 2 cons about this product: Its over priced for the amount you get esp. compared to other powder foundations and it looks refillable but it isn't. Something that may be an issue for some is that it takes some playing with to find your "application sweet spot", as in which application works for you (brush or sponge, wet or dry), what lotion or primer partners up best with it, etc. But once you figure it out you will be a happy camper! Just to give a better idea, below are some of the ways I tried this out...

-- Sponge application: While using the sponge that comes with compact and applying dry, it's just too heavy and uneven. So bad in fact I washed it off a couple minutes in and I wasn't even leaving the house that day. If you have good skin and small pores this will probably work for you. The sponge is def the way to go if you want full coverage.

-- With no lotion or primer: Applies flawlessly; goes on really smooth. The downside was that it didn't last but 3 hrs before it started fading out, off, and away. I used the Morphe E1 brush for this.

-- Atop Burberry BB Cream: At first it looked a little powdery - not cakey though which is the issue I have had with every single powder foundation tried throughout my adult life (with the exception of Chantecaille) so that alone was actually a good sign even though it doesn't read that way!. To be honest, I just happened to notice a single patch where my larger or more noticeable pores happen to be seemed to be emphasized thus had I exfoliated beforehand this likely would have not even been an issue. The "powdery" look was gone in abt 10 mn and the product just somehow magically settled into my skin really nicely. I got medium coverage and my redness was completely covered and evened out. Lasted all day. I used the Morphe E1 brush.

-- Atop LM Primer: Here's the funny part about this - Applying this aft LM primer this foundation didn't do a good job of evening out my redness and also I got a barely there coverage and super patchy application. I also got a more powdery look [than using it with Burberry BB] and I really looked dry. Although the issue of my bad pore patch wasn't emphasized, I looked a little splotchy and uneven. Again I used ME1.

-- With MAC Fix+: Using MF+ with the Burberry BB and LM Powder foundation was awesome; it completely re-kicked in that Burberry product dewy look that I love. That look isn't for everyone though I know BUT for all the folks on the drier skin side who want a good powder foundation in your arsenal, you might appreciate this... Using MF+ with the LM primer removed the powdery look, left a natural "no makeup look" behind, and did give me a fresh face glow (minus any dewyness) - again though, the coverage wasn't to great at all.

Note: I never tried this with a wet sponge or beauty blender; that's just not the risk I am will ing to take, ruining a $47.00 powder foundation.

I LOVE this product. 5 stars all the way!

on 11/4/2015 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

OMG I am so mad at myself for wasting money on this foundation especially as I even exchanged it for another color! :O

This powder foundation was awful and very red and full of oxidization in color as soon as I put it on my face. Please be careful if you have very yellow undertones as I do because Laura Mercier's powder foundations look VERY deceptively yellow in undertone within the pan but as soon as you put it on it goes bright red and orange like an Oompa Loompa! Atrocious. I bought number 17 and then exchanged it for number 16 and now I'm stuck with it because I tried it on in the evening in bad store lighting like an idiot :/

If you are a darker skinned lady with very red undertones who is medium to medium-dark in skintone then I recommend this same powder foundation for you entirely! LOL LOL

I'm so sorry now that I didn't buy a NARS one or a Bobbi Brown one...

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I will admit, my skin hasn't been in the best shape lately. I've been having problems with my skin being noticeably dry. That makes it difficult to apply make up because if I use too much liquid it settles into creases, yet if I use too much powder it sticks to my face and exacerbates the dryness. Currently I am using Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer, Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation, and Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation powder.

I noticed the power settles nicely for a few hours, and then as the day progresses the power disappears in some places on my face but not others. This effect makes my entire face look uneven. If I reapply in the places where I need to, then that one area remains unbalanced. This make up is heavily pigmented so reapplying in patches won't suffice. You have to reapply a coat to the entire face. Very wasteful in my opinion. Other things I noticed: the color is very yellow/orange. This could be a good thing...when I look at myself in the mirror in the car (pure sunlight), I notice my cheekbones look more pronounced when I use this powder (no bronze necessary). However, when I am in luminescent lighting at work, who knows where the pigmentation aggregates for that bronze effect. Hopefully not in awkward places like around the nose! Also, I've only had this for about 1 month and the sponge smells terrible now.

I don't intend on repurchasing

on 9/24/2015 11:08:00 PM

I love this powder foundation. I actually bought it in a dark shade to use for contouring and it's perfect

on 4/7/2015 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Finally an LM product I like! Dry skin and heavy melasma means I tend to avoid powder foundations but this works like a dream over tinted moisturiser, BB creams or liquid foundation alike. It's now my go to if I just want a quick step to even out my skin before leaving home. It's very multifunctional.

Texture is silky and finely milled so it doesn't set into the fine lines under the eyes or crevices in the nose. My skin is smooth to the touch, almost like satin, when this is my finishing powder. It can be used for the Goss application method but I love the finish of this powder so much I don't feel the need to Goss it so much anymore.

Finish is semi-matte; it doesn't quash all glow and it doesn't at all look cakey. My other products tend to be dewy or satin finish, so that helps offset the flatness that matte powders can give. It looks natural in both artificial and natural light.

Coverage is light-medium when used dry, and a healthy medium when wet. I don't believe this can be built up to full by any means. It applies well with a dense powder or kabuki brush, but I usually just use the sponge included for convenience. I mainly use it dry and just pat on, as swiping can disturb the concealer underneath. This application gives a pleasing soft focus effect while blurring pores and minor imperfections. Concealer is still needed for blemishes and large patches of hyperpigmentation but this plays nicely over the top, keeping everything in place and smoothing the texture of bumps.

Shade 5 matches my NC25-27 skin perfectly - something I'm yet to celebrate with the other LM base products. Likewise this is the only LM foundation that doesn't oxidise on me, even when I use it alone over sunscreen.

It's expensive and I can be fairly heavy handed in daily use, so I fear it won't last long. Have been using it for over a month and can see usage (I'm guessing between a third and half gone) but am yet to hit pan. It's much better than bare Minerals, nyx, revlon, L'Oreal and Mac studio finish in performance. For comparison, NYX and MSF pressed lasted me about 3 months of daily use, and BM loose for about 5 months. This is nice and soft like MSF and has about the same coverage, but LM beats it with staying power and for having a more natural, less cakey finish.

It's not easy to remove with water or a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil, so I remove makeup with oil and face cloth then gentle cleanse to make sure there is no trace left over.

Staying power is magnificent. It easily lasts 12 hours without settling or migration. I've noticed some oilier reviewers say otherwise, but I live in a humid equatorial climate, moisturise my skin heavily, and wear dewy foundations under it most days, and still no budging. It also helps keep my other base makeup in place so much better than setting sprays like NYX or UD and setting powder by MUFE.

For me, this powder is extremely versatile and performs well over what I have expected for similar products in the price range, so I can justify repurchasing even at the expense. It's made me reincorporate powder into my make up routine and takes away the need for touch ups through the day. A sure HG!