Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder

3.7

Talc, Mica, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Triisostearin, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Myristyl Trisiloxane, Soybean Glycerides, Zinc Stearate, Chlorphenesin, Potassium Sorbate, Polyperfluoroethoxymethoxy Difluoroethyl Peg Phosphate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Unsaponifiables, Tetrasodium Edta, Silica, Dimethiconol, Bht, Ascorbyl Palmitate. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide (Nano))

on 8/5/2017 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is a nice foundation compact but not worth the price. It's a bit too drying as a foundation - it's better as a powder, so if you have combination or dry skin, best to moisturizer first.

on 1/7/2017 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I have this in Color 05 - "medium beige with yellow undertones" & it's a perfect match for my Fall/Winter NC30 skin; there's a nice golden yellow to it (also workable as my summer NC35 skin). Major plus, there are TWENTY shades to choose from & 6 options for medium skin with yellow undertones!

The sturdy packaging includes a sponge & I use it pat it all over my face. It gives a gorgeous silky matte finish with light-medium coverage. Pores disappear & hyper pigmentation gets evened out (concealer is still necessary). It's buildable, but after 3 layers it can look powdery (but not cakey).

The talc formula gives good oil control for me; I touch up around the 4hr mark & it doesn't cake up. After a long work day it doesn't oxidize and still looks good! It's around $60 CAD & I will repurchase.

PS, I'm running low on this, so bought the Nars powder foundation SPF24 in Stromboli just to try something new. The talc-free formula of Nars has a more skin like finish & is very buildable. But doesn't control oil as well as Laura and the color is a bit too orange. Once I finish Nars, I'm going back to Laura Mericer (better shine control, more color options & sturdy packaging).

on 3/8/2016 4:20:00 PM

This is a good foundation powder. The reason I will not buy it again is that I cannot find a good shade match.

I have to say it applies and lasts much better with a primer underneath - no need to buy expensive primer I use RImmel and it works fine. I applied with a kabuki brush and the finish is pretty nice and smooth, I just finish by gently pushing the powder into the pores on the side of my nose with the sponge (clean), as the brush alone cannot handle them.

It is a shame that the shade recommended for me is not right. I took no.5 and it's not yellow enough. It matches my face ok, but my neck is ridiculously yellow, for most other people the shades should be okay but for me the range is just not yellow-based enough.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I like Laura Mercier base products and this is no exception. It rivals my faithful long time standby, MAC Studio Fix powder foundation.
I use the Smooth Finish Foundation Powder for touch ups in my t-zone during the day. It's not as 'powdery' as MAC and the colour is a better match. My skin tone seems to have changed over the years compared to when I first started MAC SF in my 20s. (I'm 50 now)
My shade is no. 7 with LM (NC30 in MAC).

If I use the Smooth Finish on its own, it still looks too powdery and matte. I like the convenience of powder foundations but liquid foundations are much more flattering on me now.
I actually prefer the Smooth Finish compared to LM's original powder foundation, which goes against what others have said. (then again, I prefer the revamped version of the Silk Creme foundation)

The price tag is rather steep at $56 CAD but it's worth spending the extra money on base products and saving elsewhere.
A definite re-purchase, unless I find a less expensive alternative.

on 3/27/2016 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i come from a country which frustratingly stocks foundations mostly in fairer colours (i'm quite tanned), so this was god-sent (thanks sephora!). it looks so natural on my skin, i was quite taken aback when the beautician applied it. it just looked like i had better skin and not at all like i was wearing foundation. also didn't make my skin look too oily after awhile, which is what some of my previous foundations did.

a tiny bit on the pricey side, but worth it imo! i swear by this now. would recommend this to anyone, but then again, foundations can be tricky because of the varied skin tones, and no one product suits everyone.

on 8/11/2016 4:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this powder cos it a multi tasking powder i think it suits me. You can use it wet or dry. But i really didn't like the coverage and its not long lasting with a setting spray. And i don't wear primer. I need to retouch from time to time..and the case was easily broken. I'm still using it cos its expensive. I really really like this brand but I'm so sad right now.

on 11/4/2015 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

OMG I am so mad at myself for wasting money on this foundation especially as I even exchanged it for another color! :O

This powder foundation was awful and very red and full of oxidization in color as soon as I put it on my face. Please be careful if you have very yellow undertones as I do because Laura Mercier's powder foundations look VERY deceptively yellow in undertone within the pan but as soon as you put it on it goes bright red and orange like an Oompa Loompa! Atrocious. I bought number 17 and then exchanged it for number 16 and now I'm stuck with it because I tried it on in the evening in bad store lighting like an idiot :/

If you are a darker skinned lady with very red undertones who is medium to medium-dark in skintone then I recommend this same powder foundation for you entirely! LOL LOL

I'm so sorry now that I didn't buy a NARS one or a Bobbi Brown one...

on 1/26/2016 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Although I suffer from dry skin, I have always been on the hunt for a good powder foundation for those days when I am just running out quick to do errands and don't need a full face on. I have tried powder foundations from Chanel, MUFE, Dior, D&G, Lancome, Shiseido, Tarte, Bobbi Brown and many more but all of them left me disappointed. The only one that ever worked at all for me was/is Chantecaille's powder foundation ($78.00) but even that is lacking in wear time and coverage. This powder foundation from LM is the ONLY one so far I have tried which is designated as a keeper (I am shade 05). This is microfine and doesn't settle into lines or pores (for the most part, see below). This is also the smoothest/softest/creamiest formulated powder I have ever tried - as in it applies just as smooth as it feels to the touch in pan, which rarely happens. I only have 2 cons about this product: Its over priced for the amount you get esp. compared to other powder foundations and it looks refillable but it isn't. Something that may be an issue for some is that it takes some playing with to find your "application sweet spot", as in which application works for you (brush or sponge, wet or dry), what lotion or primer partners up best with it, etc. But once you figure it out you will be a happy camper! Just to give a better idea, below are some of the ways I tried this out...

-- Sponge application: While using the sponge that comes with compact and applying dry, it's just too heavy and uneven. So bad in fact I washed it off a couple minutes in and I wasn't even leaving the house that day. If you have good skin and small pores this will probably work for you. The sponge is def the way to go if you want full coverage.

-- With no lotion or primer: Applies flawlessly; goes on really smooth. The downside was that it didn't last but 3 hrs before it started fading out, off, and away. I used the Morphe E1 brush for this.

-- Atop Burberry BB Cream: At first it looked a little powdery - not cakey though which is the issue I have had with every single powder foundation tried throughout my adult life (with the exception of Chantecaille) so that alone was actually a good sign even though it doesn't read that way!. To be honest, I just happened to notice a single patch where my larger or more noticeable pores happen to be seemed to be emphasized thus had I exfoliated beforehand this likely would have not even been an issue. The "powdery" look was gone in abt 10 mn and the product just somehow magically settled into my skin really nicely. I got medium coverage and my redness was completely covered and evened out. Lasted all day. I used the Morphe E1 brush.

-- Atop LM Primer: Here's the funny part about this - Applying this aft LM primer this foundation didn't do a good job of evening out my redness and also I got a barely there coverage and super patchy application. I also got a more powdery look [than using it with Burberry BB] and I really looked dry. Although the issue of my bad pore patch wasn't emphasized, I looked a little splotchy and uneven. Again I used ME1.

-- With MAC Fix+: Using MF+ with the Burberry BB and LM Powder foundation was awesome; it completely re-kicked in that Burberry product dewy look that I love. That look isn't for everyone though I know BUT for all the folks on the drier skin side who want a good powder foundation in your arsenal, you might appreciate this... Using MF+ with the LM primer removed the powdery look, left a natural "no makeup look" behind, and did give me a fresh face glow (minus any dewyness) - again though, the coverage wasn't to great at all.

Note: I never tried this with a wet sponge or beauty blender; that's just not the risk I am will ing to take, ruining a $47.00 powder foundation.

I LOVE this product. 5 stars all the way!

on 9/24/2015 11:08:00 PM

I love this powder foundation. I actually bought it in a dark shade to use for contouring and it's perfect

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I will admit, my skin hasn't been in the best shape lately. I've been having problems with my skin being noticeably dry. That makes it difficult to apply make up because if I use too much liquid it settles into creases, yet if I use too much powder it sticks to my face and exacerbates the dryness. Currently I am using Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer, Marc Jacobs Remarcable foundation, and Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation powder.

I noticed the power settles nicely for a few hours, and then as the day progresses the power disappears in some places on my face but not others. This effect makes my entire face look uneven. If I reapply in the places where I need to, then that one area remains unbalanced. This make up is heavily pigmented so reapplying in patches won't suffice. You have to reapply a coat to the entire face. Very wasteful in my opinion. Other things I noticed: the color is very yellow/orange. This could be a good thing...when I look at myself in the mirror in the car (pure sunlight), I notice my cheekbones look more pronounced when I use this powder (no bronze necessary). However, when I am in luminescent lighting at work, who knows where the pigmentation aggregates for that bronze effect. Hopefully not in awkward places like around the nose! Also, I've only had this for about 1 month and the sponge smells terrible now.

I don't intend on repurchasing