Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

4.3

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), PEG-12 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Lauroyl Lysine (skin-conditioning agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Trihydroxystearin (thickener), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (anti-irritant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (antioxidant), Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract (astaxanthin/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (thickener/mattifying agent), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Hydrolyzed Silica (thickener/mattifying agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based binding agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (texture enhancer), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives), Iron Oxides (natural pigment).

on 6/6/2014 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I'm editing to reflect how my skin reacted to the use after three days. The 3-5 bumps I saw a few hours of use more or less subsided; I ended up with one medium sized whitehead and a tiny area that seems very mildly inflamed and bumpy. Big relief. I tried it with NO other change in my very minimal skin care regimen, so I still feel that even this very mild reaction was brought on by the product. But it's not enough to pan the product, which does seem to work beautifully for most other people, and so I'm upping my rating.

To give the other side, let me just quote what the company itself claims about the breakout issue. The quick views page on this product says it is "clinically proven to be non-irritating." The FAQ for this product says

"Despite containing 13% zinc oxide, this formula was designed so that the zinc oxide "floats" over skin rather than settling into pores. This is accomplished via silicone technology, which also enables the zinc oxide to be cosmetically elegant—a difference you will see and feel with each use!"

TINT:
On the tint question,w hich I've seen a few reviews mention. The PC website describes it as a "sheer tint," but it wasn't quite sheer on me either. It went on orange on my very dark skin; in about 3 mins the color settled and it looked more natural--but I still definitely had a light orange cast, which I don't care for. And, more importantly, I definitely noticed it coming off when I was sweating.

The website Directions for this particular product (you have to go into the tabs you find on the Details page), say

--Use as the last step in your morning skincare routine. Apply liberally to face, eye area, and neck 15 minutes before sun exposure. Use a water-Resistant sunscreen if swimming or sweating. Reapply at least every 2 hours if skin is exposed to sun.--

The third sentence, "use a water-resistant sunscreen if swimming or sweating" explains a good deal but heaven knows it isn't easy to spot! I'm taking it to mean that the product should NOT be a "last step" (as they say in the first sentence) on all occasions: you'll need something else on top of it, or instead of it, if you anticpate sweating. Well, I often anticipate sweating in hot weather!! Given that we're asked to apply it "liberally, " I'm guessing anyone who misses that point about it being non-sweat proof, could easily have an issue. I'm so baffled why PC doesn't make this point clearly on the first look at the product (the "Quick View") or even make it more prominent on the detailed view. You have to dig around, click on a tab, and then if you happen to notice it buried in the middle of a paragraph you'll be forewarned. They need to sound the warning loud and clear where more people will see it right away.

I think with spf moisturizers our choices seem to be either a white cast or an orange (and non-water resistant) one! I want a moisturizer/spf that I can at least wear outdoors or while exercising in hot weather, even if not to the pool. So I prefer the white cast. The Hydralight description (and I clicked on the various tabs to make sure) has no cautionary note about sweating, so I'm a lot more hopeful about it. I do want to find at least one PC sunscreen moisturizer that works for me.

I really love Paula's Choice for various other products. I have had wonderful luck with the shampoo. I also love the fact that they let us buy sample sizes and include free samples with every order (in this, it's like 100 Percent Pure, another cruelty-free line that I greatly respect). The PC website lays out wonderful information. However, though it SEEMS easy to navigate, key information there needs to be highlighted better. For example in the FAQ for this product, though not for Hydralight shine free, we're offered this comparison between the two: this product is 13% zinc oxide while Hydralight is a mix of zinc and titanium dioxide." I would have thought they could also add brief comparative notes about the tint; the issue of sweating/swimming; the fact that they're advocating this as the final layer while Hydralight can be worn under makeup, etc.

It would be great to have a simple master- chart comparing the basics on various PC products. (If there is one, my apologies; I haven't found it yet.). PC offers a bewildering array of products to begin with, and sometimes you have to compare across categories as well. So a user-friendly guide,comparing and contrasting all products at one shot, and including a column on who should NOT use any given product, will make ALL the difference.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

My new favorite sunscreen. As a medium brown skinned woman, I've had a bit of a tortured relationship with sunscreen. Yes, I know I need to wear it to protect my Retin-A/AHA/BHA -sensitized skin, but it's always been the most problematic part of my routine because even the so-called sheer ones tend to leave a white cast. I ordered this product during a recent 30% off sale, giving a hard side eye to the "natural tint" claim and fully expecting that I'd have to return it. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it leaves no light cast on my skin whatsoever. No more skimping on the amount to avoid ghostface or trying to blend dried white streaks of sunscreen into my skin. And this sunscreen actually feels and looks good on...it's slightly mattifying without leaving my skin feeling chalky or dry.

UPDATE 9/24/14: Downgrading to 4 lippies because I like the feel and finish of the Resist Daily Mattifying Fluid SPF 50 more. I alternate the two sunscreens, depending on how my skin feels (the Super Light on days when my skin feels "normal," and the Mattifying for when my skin feels a little dry or irritated).

on 3/12/2014 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Where has this been all my life? Paula's Choice products are either hit or miss for me and this is definitely a HIT - It's the best moisturizer/sunscreen combo I've tried by far. The texture is silky and it glides on smoothly and the best part is that it dries matte!! (I won't accept anything other than matte). My skintone is NC 45-50/ MUFE 173 and at first when I squirted this out, a feeling of dread came over me because of the beige-toned color of the product. I thought it was going to make me look like a ghost-face, but surprisingly, the product actually blended in pretty well. My face looks slightly made-up after I put this on, like I'm wearing some sort of light makeup or powder which I like but I would prefer NO tint because it does make my face a little lighter. I have dry skin, so I wear it over another moisturizer and I have no problems. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I just squirt some directly into my moisturizer in my palm, mix them, and apply. Most sunscreens do not feel good on my skin and I always look forward to washing it off - this is the first sunscreen that doesn't make my skin uncomfortable.

It's also great that it has added antioxidants and Paula claims that it will visibly reduce wrinkles and dark spots (haven't used it long enough to judge that, but ok). Fragrance-free, paraben-free, no alcohol, no dyes. Finally found a product that will get me to wear sunscreen on a daily basis.

Update: Wore this on vacation in 88 degree weather and humidity and it stood the test of time. This is a keeper!