Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

3.8

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), PEG-12 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Lauroyl Lysine (skin-conditioning agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Trihydroxystearin (thickener), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (anti-irritant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (antioxidant), Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract (astaxanthin/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (thickener/mattifying agent), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Hydrolyzed Silica (thickener/mattifying agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based binding agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (texture enhancer), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives), Iron Oxides (natural pigment).

on 2/14/2017 10:22:00 PM

I've tried this a couple of times. Applied in sufficient amounts, it can get cakey and drying and the color is both pastey and oxidized on my skin. It feels mask-like and is dehydrating as the day goes on. And something in this flares my rosacea big time. When I wear it it tingles and itches and after a couple of days of wear I have sore, red breakouts on my cheeks and neck.

It's a decent amount of zinc oxide and the finish is matte, so worth a try but I'm done trying to make it work.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This sunscreen is soooooo amazing! It actually has a matte finish that I don't even need a primer anymore because this sunscreen just keeps my face matte (with minimal oil by the end of day). This is amazing for anyone who has oily skin. Also I love how this doesn't feel sticky at all and doesn't have a shiny finish like other sunscreen! The tint is suitable for most skin tones too (maybe not for darker skin tones?).
This is probably something that I would just continue using for the rest of my life because I have never actually found a sunscreen that mattifies my oily face! LOVE!

on 2/3/2016 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am required to use a sunscreen as noted by my physician because I use Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide, and Clindamycin (and birth control) to control my adult hormonal acne from hell. I hate sunscreen because none of them that I've tried does a good job at protecting my skin and they feel horribly sticky/oily. This is the only sunscreen I can use that does not burn the hell out of my skin (due to chemical sunscreen) or turn me white as a ghost (due to physical sunscreen) or make my skin feel sticky/oily. The tint used to reduce the white cast from the zinc oxide provide enough color to do the job well and I have cafe au lait colored skin. It goes on like a cream and mattifies very quickly to make your skin feel dry. I use this consistently, daily and have noticed my sun spots fading (thank you Retin-A as well). It also has antioxidants that are supposed to fight free radical damage to the skin; I'm still not sold on this so I don't care much about the antioxidant ingredients, as long as they don't make me break out (which they don't). My only wish is that they included Titanium Dioxide along with the Zinc Oxide to provide a better full spectrum physical sunscreen that can repel the rays from a supernova. Until that time, I will continue to use this product cause it gives me life.

on 11/19/2015 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

i love paula's product, i use several of her products
but i really hate this sunblock, because its whitecast, a big no no for me
it doesnt break me out, control my oil, need serum/moisturizer before apply this, because it can be so dry and hard to apply in the face

Fast-forward a year....I need to change this review. It was another Paula's Choice product that destroyed my skin--Resist Barrier Repair containing Retinol. The Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 is a wonderful product for normal to oily skin or combination skin. I use it on my nose, which is my only oily part. It melts right in and improves the look of the skin on my nose. It looks matte and smooth. I will repurchase it and use it only on my nose from now on. The reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is because it isn't moisturizing enough for the rest of my face, so I have to purchase two different daytime moisturizers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this would be suitable for a daily sunscreen with light moisture for my combo skin in the spring and summer, but this stuff was a terrible disaster for my skin! I usually have trouble-free skin, but when I switched to Paula's Choice my skin got destroyed. Bumps, flaking like crazy, and small red spots. I almost wondered if I had developed rosacea.

I have combination skin with some very oily patches and some very dry patches. This product did not work at all on the dry patches: it highlighted flaky skin really badly. On the oily parts of my face, it was great: it made my skin smooth, soft and matte. However, I won't be repurchasing this because I couldn't use it at all on the dry areas--I had to use a different product altogether on these areas of my face.

I got a sample and wanted to love this, but it's just not right for me. I mostly like what's in it (and what's not in it) but it leaves a scummy type coating on my skin and clung to a few dry patches. It smells relatively neutral, but slightly metallic? It DID do a good job of keeping my face relatively matte all day, so for someone not living in New England winter it may be a winner. It's heavy on dimethicone, and although I can tolerate dimethicone at lower concentrations, I did get a few whiteheads on my otherwise calm skin after two days of wearing this (and changing nothing else). Not for me, sadly! I'll be finishing my Missha All Around Safe Block Mild Essence Sun Milk for now and courting new fragrance-free options elsewhere.

This is a terrific moisturizer. I was a little skeptical at first because I'm very devoted to my drugstore choices, Neutrogena and Cerave, but I had a sample of this and the texture blew me away. It's a very light lotion and it's faintly tinted- not enough to give me any significant color as a NW20, light-medium complexion. I think those who are lighter than me might notice more of a difference with the tint. At any rate, the lotion is tinted slightly I think to cover up the white-ish cast that lotions with sun protection tend to have. This is very effective. The texture is light and fluffy and the squeeze container (pointed down) is a perfect second to having an air-pump. On me, the lotion absorbs very fast and leaves a wonderful silky (but not silicone-y) feel to my skin. It feels hydrated and clean. Perfect for all the seasons but maybe in the most humid or coldest weather I might need to change up for something lighter or heavier respectively. A great buy- $29 for 2 oz which should last me a good three months with 1x/daily use.

on 6/29/2014 11:53:00 AM

After trying several "physical sunscreens" and thinking I would never find one that I liked I found myself on Paula's website and purchased this. I love it. My skin is normal and I've had no dryness problems with this It has a very slight tint to it. It's moisturizing and my make up goes on very smoothly over this. It is higher priced than what's at the drugstore, but Paula has sales frequently and I recently found it for less on dermstore web site.

9/13/2014 after using for several months I'm not liking this as much as I did initially. It does look kind of "masky" toward the end of the day. I think if you don't need foundation on top you might have better luck than I did with this. I've started using Andalou Naturals All In One Beauty Balm which is also a physical sunscreen/moisturizer and have been very pleased with the results.

on 2/11/2014 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

UPDATE 12/30/2015 - I recently tried this product again and after using it consistently for over a month, I'm happy to report NO breakouts or other issues. My skin has become considerably less oily over the past few years, so maybe that has something to do with it (I'm now 41). Whatever the reason, I'm glad this is working for me. Furthermore, I don't need foundation or powder for coverage, as I find the tint of this product provides sufficient blurring/diffusing of any little sun spots I have. I'm glad to have found an SPF that my skin likes and that gives a nice, healthy, glowy (but not shiny) finish.

Original review - I despise sunscreen. There - I've said it. When Paula introduced this product, I ordered several samples and was pleasantly surprised ~ no thick, goopy, heavy texture, no ghost white cast . . . I thought I'd found my HG, and so during a recent sale, I ordered the full size tube.

Sadly, after using this consistently, I began to develop little bumps on my cheeks as well as clogged pores. I can't say I'm completely surprised, because cyclopentasiloxane is the second ingredient, followed by other silicones that tend to be less problematic for my skin.

Overall I think this is one of the best SPFs on the market, particularly if your skin can tolerate silicone-based products. In my experience, my skin is MUCH clearer and smoother when I avoid them, and when I apply fewer products in general. (All that layering Paula recommends - toner, BHA, C serum, antioxidant serum, SPF - wrecks havoc on my skin. Not to mention, I simply don't have that kind of time in the morning.)

For the time being, I'm laying off of SPFs. Whatever protection I get from my mineral makeup is sufficient for the limited amount of sun I'm exposed to on a daily basis. (Personally, I think fear of the sun has been blown way out of proportion, but that's just my opinion.)