Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

4.2

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), PEG-12 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Lauroyl Lysine (skin-conditioning agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Trihydroxystearin (thickener), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (anti-irritant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (antioxidant), Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract (astaxanthin/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (thickener/mattifying agent), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Hydrolyzed Silica (thickener/mattifying agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based binding agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (texture enhancer), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives), Iron Oxides (natural pigment).

on 8/11/2013 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Update 2015: No longer wearing sunscreen everyday for various reasons (except around my eyes), but this remains my HG and the only sunscreen that has worked for my skin 100%. Only gripe is that I wish the tube was bigger considering the price. Additional new issue: my commitment to sun avoidance has lightened my already ghostly skin and this is now about 2-3 shades too dark. Would like to see it with less pink or a version with no tint at all.

UPDATE 9/21/13: I am still using and loving this sunscreen. I do notice that, when applying the correct 1/4 tsp amount, it stays slightly tacky in humid weather. I just slap some powder on and no more problem. Still no breakouts or irritation and it's the perfect "weight" for my oily skin. HG status.

This is Paula's newest sunscreen and I have been using this daily for about a week. For reference, my skin is very sensitive and oily and I've never been able to try any of her other sunscreens due to clogging ingredient inclusions/can't use chemical s/s. This is a very light 13% ZnO sunscreen with the addition of quite a few antioxidants. It has a tint which is pretty much the same shade as my very fair skin. The tint disappears, however, and eliminates any white cast. This sunscreen has a matte finish and does not have an overly siliconey feel upon dry down. This is the first time I have used a sunscreen and truly forgotten about it after application. It also makes for an excellent makeup base and does not irritate my eyes. Regarding removal, I am able to get everything off by doing a double wash with my regular cleanser. It is ever so slightly drying applied to bare skin, but not nearly as drying as something like Burnout Eco Sensitive. It also doesn't have a tacky after feel. The ingredients, for me, are excellent and contain none of my clogging triggers. At $27 for 2 oz it is expensive, but I was able to get it for around $22 on the latest sale and looks like you can get a sample for $1. Despite the price, this is the very best sunscreen I have ever tried and I will gladly buy it again and again in the future. Beats out Shiseido Urban Environment Cream, Replenix SPF 30 Spray, and Burnout Eco Sensitive for me. Enthusiastically recommended as an every day, cosmetically elegant sunscreen.

In Review...
Pros:
Extremely cosmetically elegant
Fast dry down
Absolutely no white cast
No tacky/sticky after feel
Matte finish
Cruelty free
All physical and contains numerous antioxidants
Void of any infamous cloggers (however I know that some people can't use cyclops)
Non-irritating and no breakouts or clogging (for me)
Holds up well in hot/humid weather

Cons:
Price for amount received

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is alright. It has a nice subtle tint and controls oil alright for a couple hours. It is not very hydrating, though, and it feels slightly chalky when it dries. It wears HORRIBLY under foundation, so I would not recommend it as a daily sunscreen moisturizer for those who often times wear makeup. I'll still be on the hunt for an HG daily moisturizer for my combination, acneic, clog prone skin!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

UPDATE 10/21/2013 -- I'm pretty sure this product is responsible for HARDCORE OXIDATION effects in my makeup, including foundations, tinted moisturizers, and powder. I'm still willing to use it when I don't wear makeup, but that really limits usage for me. What a shame, because it's a very effective primer.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I would have LOVED having this same product 15 years ago when I suffered from excessively oily skin. These days, I have slightly oily/combo skin and the product was a little drying. I don't know how it's advertised as a moisturizer.

It applies beautifully and dries down matte. The tint is NOT invisible -- not on my very fair olive skin, anyway -- but it's quite light, neutral, and sheer. My sensitive skin experienced no stinging or burning from application and wear. It smoothed easily over my eye area.

It's a VERY effective primer. I applied my Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer over this and got all day wear at work. Normally, the TM begins to wear off and get too shiny after lunch.

The price bothers me. Paula Begoun has set up an image geared at avoiding overspending on cosmetics, skin care, and hair care products. As a rule, her product line is priced competitively with most upper-end drugstore lines and some lower-end department store lines. At nearly $30, this is her most expensive moisturizer + SPF to date. I disagree with overpricing sunscreen products because people are more likely to scrimp on sufficient coverage in order to prolong use. Still, with all its advantages, it's hard to argue that consumers aren't getting their money's worth and I doubt there's a competitive product that performs so well.

on 8/15/2013 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This is a physical only tinted spf moisturizer (w/13% zinc oxide). The tint is a bit lighter than Elta Physical & SCPF but more invisible, so I didn't really notice any tint at all on my nc20ish skin tone. It is very light and almost has a watery feel to it, blends easily and is cosmetically elegant (looks smooth, doesn't settle into pores etc), however it dried down to a *slightly* tacky finish and may have caused a tiny bit of irritation to my rosacea cheeks. Sunscreens that have any type of sticky/tacky feel seem to trap heat and flare my rosacea. I had the same problem with Burnout & Vanicream. I much prefer the Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 (zinc & titanium combo). It is more soothing and anti-redness (possibly from the licorice & green tea), and it doesn't have the slight tackiness that the Resist does. I think a lot of people would like the Resist one but for my skin type the Hydralight works better

This is a nice tinted moisturizer for oily/combo skin. My skin type fits the product's description however, I do find it a tad drying. Perhaps it's not really drying per se but tightening.
I like how it feels, due to silicons it glides on the skin like a dream. Plus it also functions as a primer, which is great. I used this moisturizer along with my Josie Maran's Matchmaking liquid foundation and both products worked together fabulously. Even though Josie Maran's foundation has argan oil it does not make me shiny and Paula's Choice Resist super light wrinkle defense provides SPF, smooth skin and controls the oil.
Overall, it's an awesome product but you may have to wear it with additional moisturizer underneath.

on 8/30/2013 1:59:00 PM

This is the daily facial sunscreen I have been searching for FOREVER. I've been using it every single day for about a month and a half and have experienced no product-related breakouts or problems. Lest you think I'm just a Paula's Choice devotee, rest assured that almost every other product I have tried from this line has been a flop for me - either causing breakouts or not being fair enough to suit my skintone. That being said, I'm actually kind of shocked that they finally got it right here.

The pros:

- Tint that works for fair skin!! This is huge for PC. In the past their light colors have never been light enough for me. Perfect, neutral tint that somehow manages to mask flaws without showing up as a discernable hue.

- Moisturizing without clogging. This strikes a perfect balance of moisturizing where needed with no congested pores or blackheads.

- Matte. Great, dry finish that isn't powdery looking or tight feeling and it wears well allll day. I have actually been told after 8+ hours with this on that I look "glowing" and that my skin looks "perfect." That was a first! Such a far cry from the super intense zinc oxide sunscreens I've used in the past that turn patchy and obvious by the end of a long day.

- Sun protection. High level of zinc oxide and no titanium dioxide - score!

The Con:

- As someone else mentioned: price. I, too, find it ironic that Paula constantly criticizes other companies for their expensive products as her own prices continue to rise.

Even with the one con, this is my favorite sunscreen/tinted moisturizer/daily makeup that I've found yet, all rolled into one, and thanks to that fact, I will definitely buy again.

Hands down the best daytime face cream I've ever used. I'm 45, have combination skin that is sensitive and blemish-prone with some dry/flaky patches. I love love love this cream. It's light enough not to feel heavy or make me break out (most creams give me blemishes), the SPF is high, and it's rich enough to really soften my skin.

I add one drop of pure Argan oil. My routine, in case this helps anyone: I use Paula's Choice 1% BHA gel every morning after cleansing with the Cerave hydrating cleanser; at night I cleanse with the Simple Foaming Cleanser (followed by Simple's Soothing Toner if I am wearing a lot of makeup), then I use Paula's Choice Retinol serum every other night, alternated with her Resist ultra-light anti-oxidant serum, and at night I also use Cerave lotion with two drops of Argan oil.

I've been doing all this for about six weeks. My skin has never looked and felt so fantastic.

on 10/9/2013 10:21:00 PM

The high zinc oxide content (13%) in this tinted moisturizer + sunscreen offers full protection from the sun. It also glides on beautifully & makes an excellent eye and face primer (due to the high silicone content - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th ingredients are silicones).

However, the tint (pink undertones) is NOT universal. I am asian, fair skinned with yellow undertones, and the colour looked very unnatural/off on me, making me feel very uncomfortable and self-conscious when I wore this in public! (Note that I have used BB Creams, tinted moisturizers, concealers, etc with pink undertones in the past with no problems). I will not repurchase for this reason alone.

********************************************************************************************************

UV Filter: Zinc Oxide 13%

Others: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Adenosine, Lauroyl Lysine, Bisabolol, Trihydroxystearin, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Polysorbate 80, Hydrolyzed Silica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides.

on 10/14/2013 1:40:00 AM

This product is great, but tinted. It's not so great if you are fair-skinned. I am fair-to-light, and it is fine on me, but I really don't like using foundation over it. It's just too much. I like a more natural look.
This might be a great tinted moisturizer for some of you with nice skin. If you fit that description, then do try it out.
If you are oily-skinned, this is also a great product.

Side note: Aren't we damned-lucky that we are so affluent a people that we can do this? That we have these options, and that we can comment on them on a web site? I mean wow. Look at people in other parts of the world. They're (the SPF moisturizers) are really all just fine.

on 11/5/2013 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a fantastic sunscreen and one I've been wishing existed forever! I began using it about 2 weeks ago, so I can't comment on breakouts (yet), but everything else about this sunscreen is lovely and just perfect for my oily but dehydrated skin.

For reference, I used to use avo-based high PPD sunscreens for a few years but they just made my face itch and gave me breakouts. I then switched to zinc-oxide based sunscreens such as Burnout Ecosensitive, Replenix spray, Glycolix Elite, Elta MD, Coppertone babies, Shiseido, etc. All of those were more or less fine but each had problems and just didn't work well for my skin (the biggest problem was they were too whitening or used too many film-formers that made my skin uncomfortable). Although I tried to 'force' myself to use sunscreen I was never really that into it and would dread it every day (rubbing it in well, waiting for it to dry, putting bronzer on top, having uncomfortable, dehydrated skin).

This sunscreen is very much like a tinted moisturizer and doesn't even need to be applied all that thoroughly - just slap it on and go! The whole process literally takes 2 seconds and I'm good to go for the day. It gives some coverage (....that I desperately need!) and doesn't feel as constricting or as drying as other zinc ss I've used (although it still is a bit more drying than putting nothing on your skin). It controls my oil well and I find that I'm not an oil slick by the end of the day like usual (my skin is oily but dehydrated so it sometimes feels dry but there is a layer of oil on top). It's not impossible to remove like some Asian sunscreens and I love how it evens out my skin.