Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ExfoliantSkin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

on 11/13/2017 2:34:00 PM

I had to give this a good 3-4 weeks before seeing any improvement in my skin's texture, tone and clarity. I find that if I skip using it a day or two I immediately notice a difference. I just ordered my second bottle and I will forever be a fan of this exfoliant. When I use this in the AM, my skin is flawless, glowy and fresh looking. Co-workers have complimented on how radiant and fresh I look. The hubs tells me my makeup looks amazing. It's a compliment in a bottle, I tell you.

I have had no irritation whatsoever using this.

My favourite of all paulas choice liquid exfoliant. Does the job better than all of them. Its a life saver. Uncloged most of my clogged pores. I love paula for this life changing product. Only con - its a little expensive.

on 9/22/2017 7:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This stuff has some greasy leakage around the bottle ALWAYS. Sure it has 2% BHA but the other ingredients (1,3 Propanediol) renders it USELESS. Not to mention that ingredient is a skin sensitizer and irritant.

on 10/5/2017 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros:
1. Lasts a long time
2. Made skin less oily for a period of time

Cons:
1. Slight allergic reaction (red, hot, itchy skin)
2. Makes acne worse
3. Doesn't work on blackheads
4. Doesn't minimize pores
5. Doesn't work on closed comedones
6. Doesn't work on KP
7. Skin balls up/peels off after a couple of months

I used this product on my face and body. However, I saw almost no changes in any of my skin problems except that my closed comedones were irritated thus turning into huge pimples. After about 6 months, I was almost desperately trying to finish and get rid of it, so I also used it on my arms and legs where I have KP, and of course, didn't work.

on 9/14/2017 8:02:00 AM

This is meant to be one of the best BHA’s on the market. The salicylic acid is there, the concentration is right, the PH is correct. So why aren't I seeing results?
I cleanse morning and night and I've been using this religiously, every day, am and pm on my nose to get rid of blackheads. I even apply the AHA gel over the top, after waiting 10 minutes for the BHA to absorb and dry. Yet THEY'RE STILL THERE!!
I've investigated how long it takes for an effective BHA product to dissolve blackheads and often read “a week or two”.
Why, after 4 months of intensive use twice a day, am I NOT seeing any results? AND I should add - I have dry, non-reactive skin. I don't have any acne or breakout issues (and haven't had for 30 years). I don't have excess oil or clogged pores. If it's so ineffective on me, I'd hate to see how poorly it performs on someone WITH those issues - the target demographic it's designed for.
If Salicylic Acid is the best we've got, in my opinion, and from my experience, it's a massive fail. What hope is there for someone with REALLY congested skin if it can't clean up a few blackheads on me?
Does it actually “dissolve” them? Or are you supposed to go in and try to “extract” them?
If it's the latter then what's the point? If I have to resort to needles, tissues, pressure and fingers then why bother with Salicylic Acid at all?
The only positive is that the skin over the top of the blackheads feels smoother and I haven't had to resort to manual, grainy scrubs.
But that's it.
Also I find it really mild. TOO mild (which is odd). SO mild in fact that I can use it morning and night, every single day, and plaster the Paula's Choice AHA gel on top and there's no reaction. No redness. No irritation. No flaking. Just nothing. Makes me wonder if I got a dud bottle (particularly as other posters have said they can only use it once, every second day).
Depressing and massively disappointing.

on 10/11/2017 7:06:00 PM

I got this because I also tried PC bha gel but broke me out after just two days. PC was able to give me a $23 credit and i just had to pay 10 or 11 dollars to be able to try this one out which was a good deal. But after it arrived and I started using it, the breakouts i had on my chin from using the bha gel became bigger and more painful the next day and after. I realized it wasnt drying out my pimples but instead it was only making them worse. I had to stop using it and give up on it. Sad. I have paid alot for the gel in regular size and an extra $11 dollars for the liquid and nothing worked out. I keep on trying other stuffs every now and then that it seems like i just never learn when it is clear that my skin behaves better when i dont use anything at all, just a face wash all by itself.

on 5/18/2017 4:01:00 PM

I use a lot of actives and acids and really didn't think I needed to incorporate BHA into my routine. I mean, acids eating away at the gunk in your pores are all the same, right? Turns out they're NOT.

I did not know that my skin hated fatty alcohols until very recently. It had been looking on point due to my finely tuned skin care regimen: no acne and a nice glow, but I was getting sooooo many blackheads and I didn't know why. (Fatty alcohols.) The condition of my pores was stressing me out tbh. So, thanks to a couple of nice ladies on the skincare board, I cut out all products I was using that had fatty alcohols and decided to try this product, since apparently BHA is the acid that eats away at oils and clears out pores vs. just chemically exfoliating. The more you know.

I saw a difference literally overnight. Now, after a couple of weeks, my blackhead problem is basically nil. I mean, I still get them, they will forever be my nemesis, but it's a normal situation now, not the dotted crater orange peel face one I was dealing with previously.

This does dry my skin out and make it flake if I overdo it (which I did at first), so now I use it every other night, alternating with retinol. I use it right after my Lotion P50 to get the right pH for it to be as effective as it can possibly be and I follow up w/ the Ordinary's Vit C and rose hip oil. It has a sticky liquidy texture and I don't eff with wearing it under makeup. I got this on sale for about $20, which is a decent price for its worthiness imo. I think it'll last a while, too.

In summary, this product delivered like a boss and I am forever indebted to whoever suggested BHA to me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Life changing for bumps, acne!!!!!!!! Cant rave enough about this made me so much smoother 88% less bumps i would say, might need a stronger bha/ vitamin A for the more stubborn ones

on 5/19/2017 10:13:00 PM

This helped with my blackheads a bit, usually a couple days after using a clay mask my nose gets bumpy again but this definitely got rid of that.. so naturally it did help with my pores around my nose, however it did not get rid of all blackheads, just helped to calm them down a bit

In terms of the acne on my cheeks, it did not help, I found that it aggravated it a bit and dried it out over time.. I will continue to use only on my t-zone

If you want to try it out, feel free to use my link for $10 off first order

on 8/26/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This will always be on my vanity!! it's even more amazing with 4% hydroquinone on top to address those dark spots!