Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ExfoliantSkin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

on 10/12/2018 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I've been using this every night for 2 weeks and yuk!! My super oily skin is now covered in bumps and spots (I'm 53 and only break out occasionally) I also seem far more oily, my foundation is sliding off after a couple of hours.
To be honest, I'd like to give a recommendation to all you young 'oilies' out there - stop wasting your money! I've spent the last 38 years and probably thousands of pounds on products for oily skin that just don't work. The only thing that ever had an effect was a contraceptive pill containing an anti-androgen which GPs in the UK won't prescribe over the age of 40, so here I am again clutching at straws, buying products that I know won't work (desperation :/)
Oily skin is down to genetics and hormones - so......hormonal preparations are the only things that work to stem the flow of oil from the inside - NOTHING you put on your skin will stop the oil from spewing out, cosmetic products may absorb or dry the oil on the surface to some degree but they cause their own problems!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This has been a truly life-saving product for me and I have already gone through one bottle and repurchased. After I stopped taking accutane about 5 months ago, I started having normal skin again (as opposed to the perfect angel skin I had near the end) and I got a few clogged pores. This was the first thing I tried, knowing that BHA always worked well for me pre-acne. It worked like a charm! Anytime I get a slight clogged pore, this clears it up basically overnight like it never even happened! And I haven't had nearly as many since I started using this too. I will definitely be repurchasing when I run out.

Lovely product - I can see why it's a cult favorite. After months of usage, it cleared the stubborn blackheads on my nose and has prevented/cleared out any other breakups. It also just feels nice on the skin. Don't expect overnight results, I didn't see changes for a couple months. Also, I recommend letting it dry before layering anything else.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I really wanted to love this product after all the rave reviews and thought it might be able to replace my Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion that is now sadly discontinued. Unfortunately after lots of testing of this product I've set it aside and plan to (maybe) use it on my chest just to use it up. Firstly the texture is incredibly greasy which is very off putting. I like my liquid products to at least partly absorb so I can layer serums/ moisturisers over the top. This was very oily and never seemed to really sink in which made layering quite hard. I found myself avoiding using this and would reach for another toner that was more cosmetically elegant. The other issue I had (even when only using twice a week) was the ugly flakiness this gave me. I have not had that issue with any other product - maybe the salicylic acid is just too concentrated for me but it made my skin peel and flake under my make up even days after discontinuing use.

Overall I can't recommend this even though it seems to work for many others. Still on the hunt for a fragrance free BHA lotion.

on 7/20/2018 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this product for 2 years now so I think I can give it a true review. I purchased in a set from QVC on auto delivery. The set included two of this product, a moisturizer and a retinol treatment. I was impressed with the entire set, but have found less expensive moisturizers and retinol products so this is the only item I have repurchased. This truly cleans out pores and greatly reduced the size! My husband has had a blackhead on his chest for years -- it's big and very indented and therefore hard to extract. I use this on him once at night and it is amazing to see the difference. The blackhead is no longer there and the pore size has greatly reduced. As for myself, I used this twice a day when I first got it and noticed some minor peeling/flaking around the eye area. Paula says you can use this around eyes (just not on lids). The flaking went away pretty fast and my pores have NEVER been this small and clean! I use this as my first step now after cleansing at night. I'm happy that Nordstrom offers this during their annual sale at a twofer price. I bought two sets last year and purchased another two sets today. Paula "sales" never seem like too much of a sale to me, so I happy with this deal. For reference, I'm about to be 64 and have slightly dry, more combo skin this time of year and it's a little drier in the Winter. No real wrinkles, just fine laugh lines.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Thanks to this bottle I've learned that I normally shouldn't use BHA. I don't have blemishes, I was looking at this product as an exfoliator only.
I'm allergic to aspirin and while Paula's Choice website doesn't mention that this product shouldn't be used by people who are allergic to it, but it states at the back of the bottle.
Here some facts:
Using a facial cleanser that contains 2% salicylic acid is the equivalent of taking about 80-100 mg of aspirin orally. (That’s about ½ of a baby aspirin tablet) And if you’re using a 2% SA body wash in your daily shower, that’s over 300 mg of aspirin every time you lather up!
It's not a cleanser and amount of the product used is lower. I previously tried to do BHA facial peeling ones a month, it didn't trigger any health issues, so I've tried this one and my skin loves it!
I don't use it daily, but every other day seems to be just perfect.
Thank you Paula's Choice for glowing and even skin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Did not do any wonders to my acne prone skin but I didn't honestly even wait for it to do that since my blemishes are mostly caused by my hormones. I still like this product and I think it has calmed my skin down a little bit but did not make my blackheads dissappear or anything like that like it has on some people. One immediate thing it does for my skin though is that it's making my post-shower (and post-pimple popping session...) redness fade really quickly like say in 15 minutes or so when without this it easily lasts till the next morning at least what it comes to the redness caused by popping my pimples. It may have also had some effect on making my skin a bit less oily but on the other hand it can cause some dryness when used daily. It sinks in the skin fast and I usually just pour it directly onto my skin and then quickly spread it all over my face with my fingertips so it doesn't go to waste since it really is a liquid like the name implys. So over all I will continue using this since it's doing at least something and it's totally worth trying if you have problems with impurities. One tip for using any kind of acids in your skincare routine though: wait for a good 20 minutes after applying it before putting over your other products so that you don't immediatley dilute the acid and it gets the time to do it's thing :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this in liquid and in the cream form. Firstly, texture wise definitely preferred the cream one. Although both makes my face feel clogged and feels like my skin cant rly breathe. Like another review i read, this doesnt seem to work on me. Dont think it reduced redness or pores or made my skintone radiant/even. It's just mild and i start to think if it's just a placebo. I would give it an average review though, because i remember i had a fresh pimple scar that dents into my skin and i was very worried as it was the first scar that ever happened to my face. I used this religiously on it and it rly disappeared. Likely Wont repurchase - for the reason that theres so many skincare products that have bha in them now, and with the ineffectiveness of paula's choice, i dont rly think theres a need to purchase a separate bha just to exfoliate.

on 6/15/2018 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've suffered acne for years and this is just.... saviour. the first time i used this, my face looked like the moon with a lot of cystic acne. i tried a lot of products but it was really hard, my face just keep getting angrier at me.

this one really changed everything. after i used this every night, my acne started to disappear. this is probably the only product which is I'm really loyal of: i used this for 6 months and not even on half bottle yet.

after 6 months, people keep saying my face has been cleared, and if i can give all the credits to one product i used: this is it. it makes my face looks wayyyy better. clear, radiant, and the most important thing: less acne. i only get hormonal ones sometimes, but no more cystic. most of my scars also got healed. i really can't tell how glad i am because i tried this one.

don't use it too often though, my face got over exfoliated once because i used it too much. just use it every night or once in 2 days. the price isn't cheap so i recommend to try the trial one since this product probably isn't for everyone. i'll definitely keep repurchasing this, seeing at how much this changed me and how long it lasts, the price is really worth it.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

In the early days of having severe acne, at wit's end because my face was always in pain due to acne of every sort - pimples, cystic acne, blackheads, white heads - this was a game changer. Salicylic acid was essential to improving my skin and reducing the severity of my acne. While I still had acne, this product was influential in reducing it a great amount. I've been using this product for almost over four years. (Acne for over 7 years.) Initially I used this product day and night but because there was a short time in college that I did not use sunblock, I decided to only use it at night after several months. (However, there are papers that cite BHA affecting skin during the day even with night usage, so I highly recommend using sunblock to be safe!) As my acne improved, I continued to use this product daily at night. Now, four years into using this product, with my acne skin better than ever, I only use this product a few times a week at night. Although I don't use it as much now, I'll definitely be buying another bottle.A plus is that it lasts you a long time! I bought two bottles at one time and it honestly took forever to finish. Just be sure to keep in mind the expiration (efficiency) date. Would I recommend this to anyone looking for something to help with acne? Yes! However, if you have sensitive or dry skin, I recommend trying AHA instead. If BHA doesn't work for you, try AHA. And if AHA doesn't work for you, consider PHA. Need exfoliation? The turnover rate for my skin is so quick that this product helped me realize I needed gentle exfoliation that I could use more often than physical exfoliation scrubs (which are much to rough on my skin and was grating on my acne!)I have also use Paula's Choice Clear Regular Strength Anti-redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid ($27) as well but personally found no difference between this product and the other. Take a look at the ingredients if you will to be sure there aren't any sensitizing ingredients for yourself, but I found no difference. Thus, I'm sticking with this 2% BHA liquid ($29).Other BHA/AHA products I'd recommend looking into, though I personally haven't tried myself but have on my list are:- The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% solution ($5)- Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid ($15)- Cosrx AHA Whitehead Power Liquid ($15)- Cosrx AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner ($14)- Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner ($18)These are all skincare brands that have worked for me and that I trust with my skin.I hope you find a product that works for you!