Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ExfoliantSkin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

This product is perfect for skin types that are oily or combo majority oily. I feel skin types that are more on the dry side will benefit from the lotion or gel formulas. That could explain some of the negative reviewers experience, in my opinion.

The consistency is similar to a toner. The formula is simple without much extra unneeded ingredients. Green tea is an ideal antioxidant. Most importantly, this leave on product clears closed comedones and keeps pores from getting clogged in the first place. I understand everyone's skin is different, so I realize it can be hard tomething with so many mixed reviews, but I don't want you to completely get scared away from trying this if you are considering.

My skin cannot have anything lotion based, it will absolutely break out. Before getting a trial size around last October, I had breakouts all around the bottom portion of my face. A few cystic jaw line , yet hormones test didn't show abnormal. My face was just covered with closed comedones.

After a week of using this at night, I noticed my breakouts slowly improving, and less starting popping up. Two weeks to a month my skin was clear. It has remained clear. I have been using this daily and without a doubt this product cleared my acne covered skin. A few of my coworkers have mentioned how "good" my skin looks [polite way of telling me my acne is gone] .

I recently purchased three bottles when they were on sale. I highly recommend this particular SA leave on for those with similar acne issues and most importantly those with more oily than dry skin. The lotion or gel formula is ideal for skin types with more dry skin and combo dry. I should also note that I most definitely have sensitive skin, not once has this irritated it in any way.

on 4/14/2018 6:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I got on the BHA bandwagon years ago. I understand the whole pH concept of "too low to do anything." And I've used 2% products that burned the crap out of my face.

As a fellow acne sufferer, Paula gets it. And this product is the best of it's kind that I can find without being ridiculously expensive.

To be clear, yes, your skin will peel (that's the idea) and that is different than "overly drying." Adjust your frequency of use.

And yes you must wear sunscreen. Non-negotiable. And finally, it doesn't work overnight.c

I love that there aren't lots of additional unnecessary ingredients in here - just what you need to do the job!

on 3/31/2018 1:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I had terrible breakout on my chin area big cyst i thought it was purging but i guess my skin has reacted to this product. Now i have big dark acne scars it will take time to fade this scars. If you're skin is sensitive be careful in trying new products. listen to your skin u know ur skin well.

on 3/19/2018 2:14:00 AM

Recently purchased this and I really like it. I have cystic acne problems and I'm noticing that they're minimizing. I would definitely repurchase this.

on 3/11/2018 9:06:00 PM

I've been using this for about a year and only realized how much I liked it after stopping for a few weeks. It really does make my skin smoother, clearer, and more even. When I ran out I started breaking out, and that's when I realized that it actually made a huge difference. Plus, it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, it's cruelty free, and a travel size lasts me around six months! Ironically, the travel size doesn't travel well - it leaks everywhere. Otherwise, this is a must-have.

on 2/13/2018 7:13:00 AM

Amazing product that delivers everything it promises!! My pores were filed down and tightened so they're almost invisible (since you can't eliminate your actual pores, only decrease them and hinder them from filling up with dirt), no breakouts at all since I started with this one, my skin is smoother and it gives a nice peel and glow-effect. I use it in the morning and AHA 10% in the evening. Would recommend to all! I have combination skin and I now longer have any oily-areas at all. It would probably be perfect for oily/combo skin and for dry skin as well since its "oily" and doesn't try out the skin, but actually works deep down. And you can layer all sorts of products on top without it loosing its edge or effect.
The only downside is that its quite expensive for such a small package and its liquid, meaning you "waste" a lot of product on the pad and a bottle for me only lasts about 2-3 months since I use it daily. But the product itself is absolutely wonderful!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse

I have been using this for 2 years, and sadly this isn't the HG product I had hoped it would be. The PC SA recommended it for my rosacea sensitive skin. I've tried to modify my use: Scaling back a few times a week or short contact therapy, but it isn't making any remarkable difference, let alone "Skin Perfecting".

I *do* find it reliable for halting the occasional random grudge zit in its tracks, but then the surrounding area often becomes flakey, which isn't easily resolved with moisturizer &/or gentle manual exfoliation. Even with discounts, it's a lot of money for something I rarely use.

I might request a sample of the lower 1% solution if I'm ever tempted to purchase any other PC products. But it's a gamble and none of the sample physical sunblocks I requested w/ my order worked out. The search continues...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product has been a staple in my skincare regimen for about four years now. I use it every second day after cleansing and before moisturising. It is an effective, dependable exfoliator. The price could be better--$37 for 118ml isn't necessarily a bargain--but it does last for a few months. I don't recommend using it twice a day if you have sensitive skin, you will get the same effect if not better by using it a little more sparingly. For now I am using Cosrx's blackhead power liquid instead of this as it is more affordable and I like to switch up my skincare every now and then.

on 12/26/2017 10:56:00 AM

my Holy Grail!! I have lost count of how many times I have repurchased this. it reduces redness, improves the texture of my skin, keeps my pores clean.... my skin can feel a little tight if I don't moisturize properly but otherwise it behaves very gently on the skin. if I have picked on a cluster of breakouts and the area becomes red and looks worse than it was before I apply this and poof, gone in an hour or so. I also love applying this like a mask with my fingers when I have time. it doesn't do much on it's own for my breakouts, that usually are some kind of whiteheads - for those I need prescription azelaic acid, but together they are great. it works fine on the kind of pimple that is just red, I hardly ever get those anymore. it is sorta expensive if you apply it with a cotton pad. I feel like a lot goes to waste when I do that... I apply it with my fingers and it lasts me for such a long time. if I overdo it it can get a little sticky but you quickly learn what amount is just right!

on 11/28/2017 1:38:00 PM

I like this product a lot - it's gentle but effective. As well as exfoliating, it also moisturises my skin which cuts out the need for yet another step when you're tired at the end of the day. The only slight negative is that my skin feels a bit sticky until it sinks in.