Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ExfoliantSkin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

on 7/20/2018 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this product for 2 years now so I think I can give it a true review. I purchased in a set from QVC on auto delivery. The set included two of this product, a moisturizer and a retinol treatment. I was impressed with the entire set, but have found less expensive moisturizers and retinol products so this is the only item I have repurchased. This truly cleans out pores and greatly reduced the size! My husband has had a blackhead on his chest for years -- it's big and very indented and therefore hard to extract. I use this on him once at night and it is amazing to see the difference. The blackhead is no longer there and the pore size has greatly reduced. As for myself, I used this twice a day when I first got it and noticed some minor peeling/flaking around the eye area. Paula says you can use this around eyes (just not on lids). The flaking went away pretty fast and my pores have NEVER been this small and clean! I use this as my first step now after cleansing at night. I'm happy that Nordstrom offers this during their annual sale at a twofer price. I bought two sets last year and purchased another two sets today. Paula "sales" never seem like too much of a sale to me, so I happy with this deal. For reference, I'm about to be 64 and have slightly dry, more combo skin this time of year and it's a little drier in the Winter. No real wrinkles, just fine laugh lines.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Thanks to this bottle I've learned that I normally shouldn't use BHA. I don't have blemishes, I was looking at this product as an exfoliator only.
I'm allergic to aspirin and while Paula's Choice website doesn't mention that this product shouldn't be used by people who are allergic to it, but it states at the back of the bottle.
Here some facts:
Using a facial cleanser that contains 2% salicylic acid is the equivalent of taking about 80-100 mg of aspirin orally. (That’s about ½ of a baby aspirin tablet) And if you’re using a 2% SA body wash in your daily shower, that’s over 300 mg of aspirin every time you lather up!
It's not a cleanser and amount of the product used is lower. I previously tried to do BHA facial peeling ones a month, it didn't trigger any health issues, so I've tried this one and my skin loves it!
I don't use it daily, but every other day seems to be just perfect.
Thank you Paula's Choice for glowing and even skin!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Did not do any wonders to my acne prone skin but I didn't honestly even wait for it to do that since my blemishes are mostly caused by my hormones. I still like this product and I think it has calmed my skin down a little bit but did not make my blackheads dissappear or anything like that like it has on some people. One immediate thing it does for my skin though is that it's making my post-shower (and post-pimple popping session...) redness fade really quickly like say in 15 minutes or so when without this it easily lasts till the next morning at least what it comes to the redness caused by popping my pimples. It may have also had some effect on making my skin a bit less oily but on the other hand it can cause some dryness when used daily. It sinks in the skin fast and I usually just pour it directly onto my skin and then quickly spread it all over my face with my fingertips so it doesn't go to waste since it really is a liquid like the name implys. So over all I will continue using this since it's doing at least something and it's totally worth trying if you have problems with impurities. One tip for using any kind of acids in your skincare routine though: wait for a good 20 minutes after applying it before putting over your other products so that you don't immediatley dilute the acid and it gets the time to do it's thing :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this in liquid and in the cream form. Firstly, texture wise definitely preferred the cream one. Although both makes my face feel clogged and feels like my skin cant rly breathe. Like another review i read, this doesnt seem to work on me. Dont think it reduced redness or pores or made my skintone radiant/even. It's just mild and i start to think if it's just a placebo. I would give it an average review though, because i remember i had a fresh pimple scar that dents into my skin and i was very worried as it was the first scar that ever happened to my face. I used this religiously on it and it rly disappeared. Likely Wont repurchase - for the reason that theres so many skincare products that have bha in them now, and with the ineffectiveness of paula's choice, i dont rly think theres a need to purchase a separate bha just to exfoliate.

on 6/15/2018 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've suffered acne for years and this is just.... saviour. the first time i used this, my face looked like the moon with a lot of cystic acne. i tried a lot of products but it was really hard, my face just keep getting angrier at me.

this one really changed everything. after i used this every night, my acne started to disappear. this is probably the only product which is I'm really loyal of: i used this for 6 months and not even on half bottle yet.

after 6 months, people keep saying my face has been cleared, and if i can give all the credits to one product i used: this is it. it makes my face looks wayyyy better. clear, radiant, and the most important thing: less acne. i only get hormonal ones sometimes, but no more cystic. most of my scars also got healed. i really can't tell how glad i am because i tried this one.

don't use it too often though, my face got over exfoliated once because i used it too much. just use it every night or once in 2 days. the price isn't cheap so i recommend to try the trial one since this product probably isn't for everyone. i'll definitely keep repurchasing this, seeing at how much this changed me and how long it lasts, the price is really worth it.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

In the early days of having severe acne, at wit's end because my face was always in pain due to acne of every sort - pimples, cystic acne, blackheads, white heads - this was a game changer. Salicylic acid was essential to improving my skin and reducing the severity of my acne. While I still had acne, this product was influential in reducing it a great amount. I've been using this product for almost over four years. (Acne for over 7 years.) Initially I used this product day and night but because there was a short time in college that I did not use sunblock, I decided to only use it at night after several months. (However, there are papers that cite BHA affecting skin during the day even with night usage, so I highly recommend using sunblock to be safe!) As my acne improved, I continued to use this product daily at night. Now, four years into using this product, with my acne skin better than ever, I only use this product a few times a week at night. Although I don't use it as much now, I'll definitely be buying another bottle.A plus is that it lasts you a long time! I bought two bottles at one time and it honestly took forever to finish. Just be sure to keep in mind the expiration (efficiency) date. Would I recommend this to anyone looking for something to help with acne? Yes! However, if you have sensitive or dry skin, I recommend trying AHA instead. If BHA doesn't work for you, try AHA. And if AHA doesn't work for you, consider PHA. Need exfoliation? The turnover rate for my skin is so quick that this product helped me realize I needed gentle exfoliation that I could use more often than physical exfoliation scrubs (which are much to rough on my skin and was grating on my acne!)I have also use Paula's Choice Clear Regular Strength Anti-redness Exfoliating Solution with 2% Salicylic Acid ($27) as well but personally found no difference between this product and the other. Take a look at the ingredients if you will to be sure there aren't any sensitizing ingredients for yourself, but I found no difference. Thus, I'm sticking with this 2% BHA liquid ($29).Other BHA/AHA products I'd recommend looking into, though I personally haven't tried myself but have on my list are:- The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% solution ($5)- Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid ($15)- Cosrx AHA Whitehead Power Liquid ($15)- Cosrx AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner ($14)- Benton Aloe BHA Skin Toner ($18)These are all skincare brands that have worked for me and that I trust with my skin.I hope you find a product that works for you!

OMG. THIS PRODUCT NEEDS TO BE SENT BACK TO HELL WHERE IT CAME FROM. Though I suffer from cystic acne, my skin has more or less been under control by a combo or tret 0.025, Aczone, Doxy 100mg, and Borage oil/Black Current Oil (I CANNOT PRAISE ENOUGH about the amazing effects of both, though Black Currant and Evening primrose are a better combo because some Borage oil can naturally contain awful liver toxins called PA, look it up). I can honestly say that I hadn't gotten a big awful cyst in 2 plus months, and that's a win. within 3 days of trying this, my chin is currently covered in seven angry swollen, raised, unpopable, cysts, and because each cysts is so big, my entire chin is basically covered. there are also 2 on my cheeks. I am cutting this out and pray that my face would calm down. :( this is the worst ever.... I wish I had listen to others' warnings.

One of the best things that ever happened to my skin. In the short term, it will give you soft, smooth skin & quiet any blemishes that are thinking about popping up. I’ve been using it most nights for over a year & it has also faded some sun spots on my cheekbone, cleaned out my pores so they look smaller, & (I feel) softened up my fine lines. I recently had a facial where the esthetician told my skin was “very clean” & to keep doing what I was doing. I credit this product! I also occasionally use PC Resist Weekly 10% AHA & that’s great, too. I have had acne my whole adult life & now for the very first time, I feel comfortable going to work or out with just sunscreen on my face, no powder or foundation of any kind.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I've been using this for about a month and things are going quite well. I had been using the PC AHA/BHA combo exfoliator serum, but decided to give this one a chance because it was a lot more product for a much smaller price. There is no way I'd use this twice a day, my face would fall right off. But about once a day, sometimes I forget, seems to do the job. The hormonal cystic acne (peri menopause) on my chin has gone way down. The blackheads that love my nose are gone.

Since it is a liquid, it's recommended to squirt it on a cotton ball to apply. That drives me nuts, so I put a small bit in my palm, distribute to both hands, pat it all over my face. Then I rub any extra into my hands. Bonus, woo!

My skin is dry, but I put CeraVe PM moisturizer over this and my face is happy as a clam.

Paula's Choice products aren't smelly with fragrance, which is a good thing. Compared to the gel or lotion formulations, this liquid has the least number of ingredients, another good thing.

This product is perfect for skin types that are oily or combo majority oily. I feel skin types that are more on the dry side will benefit from the lotion or gel formulas. That could explain some of the negative reviewers experience, in my opinion.

The consistency is similar to a toner. The formula is simple without much extra unneeded ingredients. Green tea is an ideal antioxidant. Most importantly, this leave on product clears closed comedones and keeps pores from getting clogged in the first place. I understand everyone's skin is different, so I realize it can be hard tomething with so many mixed reviews, but I don't want you to completely get scared away from trying this if you are considering.

My skin cannot have anything lotion based, it will absolutely break out. Before getting a trial size around last October, I had breakouts all around the bottom portion of my face. A few cystic jaw line , yet hormones test didn't show abnormal. My face was just covered with closed comedones.

After a week of using this at night, I noticed my breakouts slowly improving, and less starting popping up. Two weeks to a month my skin was clear. It has remained clear. I have been using this daily and without a doubt this product cleared my acne covered skin. A few of my coworkers have mentioned how "good" my skin looks [polite way of telling me my acne is gone] .

I recently purchased three bottles when they were on sale. I highly recommend this particular SA leave on for those with similar acne issues and most importantly those with more oily than dry skin. The lotion or gel formula is ideal for skin types with more dry skin and combo dry. I should also note that I most definitely have sensitive skin, not once has this irritated it in any way.