Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid ExfoliantSkin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol (slip agents/penetration enhancers), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant/antioxidant), Polysorbate-20 (solubolizing agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent).

I have sensitive combination skin with whiteheads on my nose. This liquid works perfectly for my skin. Now my face becomes so smooth to touch and no more whiteheads on nose!! I tried to stop using it for a week, then whiteheads are back, and when i start using it again, they are all gone within 2 days. Plus the pores are smaller and clear! So it must be this magic liquid.

For $10 OFF your first purchase follow the link https://goo.gl/NnSUXT Discount applied at checkout.

This liquid is great for exfoliation.
However, I cannot use it everyday because of my eczema skin.
If I use the liquid everyday, my skin will become extremely dry and flaky. I can use it only once a week.
The liquid is so strong and seems to be more effective than the 2% BHA gel. (I have both the liquid and the gel.)
I have been using the liquid for around 3-4 months now.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Believe me, I've tried liking this product and working with this product so many times but it hasn't worked for me. There are some days I used this product, and I found that it worked but my skin is in the same condition. In fact for someone with sensitive combination skin, I found this dried and dehydrated my skin, and my skin looked so much better when I stopped using this product and switched back to keeping my skin hydrated. Lactic acid has been working much better for me than BHA, as it's far more gentler and makes my sensitive skin glow without stripping it. I also this this PC product is quite basic and incredibly overpriced. It's a hit and miss product and either it will work for you or it won't. I'm just annoyed I spent so much money on it to find it doesn't work on my skin. I did find that some redness and irritation decreased mildly but this was short lived. After long term use (I used this every night for a few months), I found it weakened my moisture barrier and I woke up every morning with dehydrated skin. I stopped using it and then decided to slowly reintroduce it but it dehydrated and dried my skin straight away. Overall, it's a decent product but just didn't work for me.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

So here's a list of every BHA product I've tried:
Paula's Choice (PC) 2% BHA Gel (this product)
PC 2% BHA Liquid
PC 4% BHA Foam
PC Dark Spot Treatment w/Hydroquinone
Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner (AHA and BHA formula)
Silk Naturals BHA Toner

IN GENERAL
I think it’s safe to say I’ve tried enough BHA exfoliants to have a good grasp on what works for my oily, acne-prone (mainly hormonal) skin. I should also mention that my skin is not sensitive, at all. I can pile on a variety of active ingredients with little to no issues. However, this product, at a 2% concentration, is great for people with sensitive skin, but it will also prove effective for those with tougher skin like me.

PROS
The liquid formula works well for me during the summer months. I can tell a visible difference when I use this stuff. I wake up in the morning with brighter skin in general, and when I’m applying moisturizer, sometimes I can actually see small flakes of skin peeling off - but not to the point where my skin is truly peeling. This product gives such a subtle exfoliation. Definitely give it a try, even if you only use it once or twice a week, it’s going to make a difference.

Also, I ordered a bottle for my mom to try, and her dry/sensitive skin could only tolerate using this once or twice a week. However, she did notice a significant difference in the blackheads around her nose. They started to disappear within a couple weeks.

CONS
The price point is a bit steep. There are so many drugstore options popping up these days with BHAs/AHAs as the main ingredients, it's getting more and more difficult to see why PC is charging so much for this product. I'm sure there will soon be a dupe available for half the price.

$10 off your first order by using this link: https://goo.gl/CLXkGf.

on 3/18/2017 9:04:00 PM

NOT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN! I am 42 with problem combo skin. I also have rosacea. I have tried this product numerous times before giving up. Like other reviews states it is sticky. It was also extremely drying for my skin. I tried using it every other night then only twice a week. Still too drying. Also flared my rosacea. My cheeks were a burning mess. If you have sensitive combo skin I would look for something else.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I loved the first bottle I was on but somehow, it feels like the second isnt working anymore. Whenever I use it I dont see any changes in my skin. It used to make my skin look very smooth and got rid of the tiny bumps I got on my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I don't think I'll ever stop buying this product. Keeps my blackheads and acne under control, makes my skin a lot smoother, softer, brighter and glowy. I definitely don't follow the package directions and use a cotton pad, way too much product waste. Instead I kinda tilt the bottle and let it drip a tiny bit onto my face, then spread with my fingers. Each bottle has lasted me around 8 months. I notice if I stop using it for even a week or so, my skin looks and feels way less healthy. Yes it is a bit sticky if you use a lot, but in my opinion you won't be able to find many BHA exfoliants to beat this, especially in this price range.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I can't believe how sticky this product is! Its very uncomfortable, and I really have not seen much of a difference in my skin.

on 2/10/2017 8:15:00 AM

For my early 50's somewhat sensitive combo skin (oily t-zone, normal to dry cheeks), this is a great product. I started using it once per day at night. I immediately saw an elimination of the one or two daily tiny whiteheads I would get on my chin, cheeks and nose. Over time, my skin is brighter and the texture is smoother and softer. Brown age spots have faded. The blackheads on my nose, that I've had for my whole life and that nothing would touch, are markedly reduced. After about a year, I started using this in the morning as well as at night. I've seen even better results since doing this. Foundation goes on better. Pores are nearly undetectable.

For those who complain this is sticky, you must be using WAY too much. More is NOT better and you're wasting product. I simply dampen a cotton pad with 5 or 6 gentle shakes of the bottle and swipe it on my face. I let it dry for a minute or two and then I continue with my serums and moisturizer. I also notice zero fragrance and I'm very sensitive to smell. Highly recommend this product and won't be without it.

on 2/4/2017 12:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've tried to like this so many times. Unfortunately, I just can't get over the unbearable stickiness. The reason I choose a liquid product is because I *don't* want it to feel sticky or heavy. Unfortunately, after this dries on the face it leaves the most uncomfortable film behind that makes my face feel tight and slimy. I've bought two travel-sized bottles with the intention of just "getting over it" but after 4 or 5 applications I can't stand it anymore. If a product feels so icky that I can't even get to the point where I can evaluate its efficacy, it's not worth the battle.

Bravura London's 2% salicylic acid liquid feels fine to me. It's about $12 for 30ml, so pretty expensive compared to the PC version, but comes in a nice dark glass bottle with a dropper and isn't sticky. It seems to be keeping my clogs at bay so far and I don't use that much at a time. We'll see...jury is still out on that one too.

Ingredients of both from their websites if you're curious:

Bravura: Distilled Water, Salicylic acid, Propylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hydroxide.
PC: Water (Aqua), Methylpropanediol (hydration), Butylene Glycol (hydration), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract (green tea/skin calming/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH balancer), Tetrasodium EDTA (stabilizer).