Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation Powder

Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation Powder

3.7

Every shade except "rich sand" contains the same ingredients: mica, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, kaolin, pearl powder, ruby powder, sea salt/Maris Sal/Sel marin. May Contain/Peut Contenir/(+/-): Titanium dioxide (CI 77891), zinc oxide (CI 77947), bismuth oxychloride (CI 77163), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), ultramarines (CI 77007), ferric ammonium ferrocyanide (CI 77510). "rich sand" contains: talc, mica, zea mays (corn) starch, zinc stearate, dimethicone, ethylene/methacrylate copolymer, chlorphenesin, potassium sorbate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, quartz, ruby powder, smithsonite extract, tourmaline, tetrasodium EDTA, isopropyl titanium Triisostearate, kaolin, pearl powder, sea salt/maris sal/sel marin, Iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 7/7/2016 9:38:00 PM

I purchased this powder foundation after eyeing it for awhile. I've used BM for years and wanted to try new products of similar quality. I have dry, oily, acne-prone skin and so far this foundation has been pretty good! It has not broken me out and my skin doesn't get any more oily than it usually does by mid-day. I just blot with a tissue and I am good to go. I actually like this product better than the bare minerals as it seems to provide better coverage and a more flawless appearance. It does cling to dry skin, but I find most powders tend to do that regardless and it's just important to hydrate very well the night before and prior to applying makeup as well as regular exfoliation. I also use the tarte poreless primer and that really helps this product go on smoothly. It isn't really a matte finish, I'm not sure if that is just my skin, but it ends up looking slightly dewy even after setting powder. It provides medium coverage I would say, I think to put on more product to achieve full coverage you would look cakey. A little product goes a long way and I think this pot will last me a long time even with daily use. As for the packaging, I'm not sure how I feel about the mesh. I have to try to put a little on by dabbing the mesh and then I usually swirl the brush on the underside of the lid to evenly distribute the product on the brush or else it tends to cake where the brush first touches your face. My only issue with this foundation is that it doesn't stay as well as I would like it to. I have to blot my face due to oil a few times a day and some product comes off on the tissue and on my surgical mask at work and by the time I'm done an 8hr shift I look like I never applied makeup except for my eyes.

on 5/29/2016 2:30:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For reference's sake, I'm a Chinese girl in her mid-thirties with combination skin, living in a tropical country and spent a lot of time in the office. In short, I alternate between hot and humid outdoors and cold and dry office. For my kind of environment, climate and skin type, I find mineral powder foundation works best for me. After application, the powder gradually blend into my skin due to heat, sebum and probably other factors until my skin looks naturally flawless and blemish-free.

I've been eyeing this foundation from Tarte for a very long time but was quite reluctant to take the plunge, mainly because my EM mineral powder base works very well on my skin and the price for this Tarte foundation is more than double than that of my EM powder. SGD58 for a Tarte foundation compared to my EM powder, which I bought online from iHerb and it only cost me SGD20.90 w/o shipping.

Anyway, I finally took the plunge and got this foundation in fair-light neutral shade. I did not buy the airbrush kabuki brush because I already have two kabuki brushes and one RT buffing brush.

First try was a disaster. I did not put any primer before application and I end up looking very shiny even before I reach the office. My fine lines and pores were very visible.

Second try: I remember to apply primer first. I use Tarte's creaseless eye primer on my eyelids, Tarte's poreless primer on my visible-pore areas on the tip of my nose and chin to prevent shine (both of which I've reviewed) and on the rest of my face and neck, I apply my Alima Pure balancing primer powder, wait for everything to set before using my RT buffing brush to apply the foundation. It went on better.

I discovered on my first try that it didn't take a lot of product to achieve medium coverage, just a very thin layer on the brush tips. If I need full coverage, I just have to wait a while for the first layer to set before applying a second thin coverage. Which means this one pot may last me a good long while, making it affordable in the long run.

This foundation has the same effect as my EM mineral powder when wore on my skin. However, it didn't react as well as my EM powder when alternating between two extreme environments. I did wear it for an entire day outdoors in hot and humid Singapore and was very surprised to find it working better than my EM powder. I did not have to blot or reapply, I had no shine and my skin really looked healthily glowy despite perspiring so much. I was so happy!

No-makeup makeup look achieved!

One last tip for wearing Tarte foundation: you MUST prep your face the night before. Meaning you have to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate your skin. Because the Amazonian clay ingredient in the foundation has a tendency to absorb your skin sebum, your skin can dry out with using this foundation. I honestly wouldn't recommend this for dry skin. I have combination skin and I find myself having to moisture/hydrate my normal-type areas generously to compensate.

To Read all 96 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/25/2016 11:46:00 AM

I was so very hesitant to try this because of my dry and aging skin. when I used a liquid foundation with a setting powder I would look majorly dry and cakey. I'm SO happy that I decided to try this mineral foundation. it looks AMAZING on my skin. I had no idea that a mineral powder foundation could make my skin feel so hydrated. I've tried at least 30 different liquid foundations from drug store to extremely high end and none of them even come close to comparing with this foundation. it is my holy grail foundation. notb only dies it make my skin look great it lasts all day long and does not dry my skin out. I will definitely be repurchasing this.

on 3/12/2016 7:48:00 PM

For reference, I am very fair skinned, in my mid twenties, blonde hair and blue eyes.
I've tried my fair share of mineral powder foundations, and so far this is the best one that I have found. I definitely get the air brushed vibe with this powder, it looks great and natural. I can put a lot of this on and it really doesn't look like I have a lot on. It does a decent job of covering up blemishes, but I wouldn't say its full coverage status. I would put this in the medium to full category, just because I don't think it covers as much as it should for being advertised as full coverage.
I personally don't experience the oily factor like some have been saying; I have minimal oil on my face after wearing this all day. I've got to say that my skin loves this stuff. I used to use Bare Minerals which RUINED my face, and I have minimal acne when using this.
I love the packaging, the mesh thing in it is awesome and allows me to perfectly apply the powder with a reasonable amount on my brush, and I can layer more accurately this way.
Overall, I really like this product and will continue to use it until I find something better that looks as natural as this stuff.
It's on the pricey end, but I would recommend that anyone try this if you're on the fence about it!

on 1/24/2016 9:23:00 PM

I was excited to try this out since I have oily skin and love powder foundation. Upon application, it looked a little powdery, but definitely had full coverage which I liked. However, in just 2-3 hours of wear, it started to separate on my skin, sink into my fine lines, and look blotchy. Somehow it made me look really oily, but emphasized dry patches at the same time.

It's worth noting that it didn't break me out (I have very sensitive skin), the net packaging is great cause it minimizes powder fallout, and application was really quick and easy. I think its worth trying out if you have normal to oily skin, and want to simplify your foundation routine - it just didn't work for me personally.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love it but not too much. It's one of my fave foundation powder since it's mineral based , it has a nice yellow olive undertone plus it's so light however i thought it was supposed to be full coverage like it said on the box but it is a sheer powder. I have tried full coverage powder like dermablend et al. But this is like the baby of full coverage powders. It's like a premature baby, if i may correct it , in the sea of full coverage foundations. However it is a good setting powder if you feel like your foundation feels light in tone or if you kinda wanna change the undertone of your liquid foundation base. Its good if you wear a bb cream under and you wanna amplify the coverage of your base. I love the mesh sifter. I use my real tech expert face brush and it 's okay . I wish it was super full coverage so i wouldnt have to dip my brush several times just to have that flawless coverage. Promises promises...

on 11/29/2015 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Let me just start by saying that for the most part, there is not a liquid or powder foundation on the planet that doesn't irritate or break my skin out. This is one of the very few that my skin can agree with! The coverage is surprisingly good and very build-able. The selection of colors is great. I definitely use it with a primer first.

I really like this foundation. I'm on my third day of using it and my skin looks better already! I have more combination type skin and I have not had to blot my skin at all when wearing it at work. Big change from when I used It Cosmetics CC cream. This also does not appear cakey on my skin. The only drawback to this is you really have to apply a lot in order to get a full coverage look.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

EDIT: Ok so this was lying in my makeup bag for a bit and i forgot about it until recently when i went travelling and wanted something quick and easy to apply. I applied this and set it with my new bourjois powder. And to my amazement, despite walking around all day in the sweltering heat and humidity, my makeup actually stayed put. I still glowed. I had to come back and retract what i said because i realized that it was my setting powder that wasn't working previously. So, this has gone back up to the top of my list. It gives the most beautiful glow! i've has 2 people ask me what i'm using because my skin looked smooth and glowy,even at the end of a long day. It has once again rekindled my love affair with Tarte. (love their neutral palettes too)

Well... I'm kinda sitting on the fence with this one. Have been using this for 2 weeks now nearly everyday. It goes on beautifully.. Doesn't cause any creasing or caking and medium-tan sand is a perfect match for me. BUT... These other ladies were not joking about the oil factor. By the time I get to the office, I am so shiny that I practically can serve as a mirror. I also find myself blotting many times throughout the day. I do like a natural dewy look normally but this is overkill. I'm usually prone to shininess but my MAC studio fix fluid never caused this much shine. Well, I will finish this but guess I'll be going back to my liquid foundations... Boring. I'm a little sad about that because it is fun to apply with the airbuki brush which does indeed give an airbrushed finish. Ah well...

on 10/27/2015 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was so looking forward to getting it, even more so because it's expensive and somewhat hard to get. I ended up buying it from someone who didn't get on with it off ebay. I'm a bit on the fence about this product. Firstly, it's a bit annoying to apply, you need a specific kind of brush (I use RT buffing brush) and you have to work it into the skin, I sort of push it in, sometimes swirl it and then buff it in. It can look a little cakey but that's easily remedied when using your fingers to press it in, the warmth seems to melt it into your skin. This process is not the quickest and you have to use tools. Coverage is light to medium, maybe comparable to a tinted moisturiser but in powder form, meaning you will probably need to use concealer and it's only really recommendable for fairly good skin days. It's not mattifying at all so if you have oily or shiny skin you need to use an extra product to take care of that. Because of those reasons, I have thought about purging it.
BUT I haven't brought myself to because the colour match is pretty good and after a while it really does something very pretty to the skin, something to do with how it melts into it and merges with the skins oils, I'm not sure how and what exactly but it looks very natural but beautifying. I like to use it on days when I want to look natural and not too made up but still a bit more polished than without any base. I think I will use it up but I wouldn't repurchase.