3.8

price range

Reviews

from

5 months ago

Best powder foundation I've ever used!! It's full coverage if you apply it with a dense flat top brush like the Mac 170. It's not flat matte; it has a bit of glow to it while still controlling my oily skin. I'm acne-prone and haven't broken out from this. It's super quick and easy to apply. I'm a light-medium cool-toned skin (NW22) and light beige works perfectly. Lasts all day without a primer. Use a setting spray to take away the powdery look.

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

7 months ago

I only wear powder foundation. I purchased this in the colour "Fair-Light" based on many reviews on the internet. It was not cheap in Australia at $50, so I did not purchase this on a whim. I would describe the container as similar to cushion foundations. It has the sifter in the middle and part of the lid fits firmly on the sifter part in the base. How I use it is to tap and swirl my kabuki brush directly on the sifter and it releases enough powder to do a light/medium coverage. I am 53 with really good skin, so this is enough for me. I have not tried doing a full coverage with this as I really don't like a thick coverage of foundation. I apply it over Revlon Prep and Protect primer and after applying I use Lily Lolo Mineral Concealer in "Blondie" around my eyes and for those areas that need a bit extra. I have been super lucky this week to find two new HG products. The first being the Revlon Prep and Protect primer and now this little gem of a foundation. Just for some perspective, I have tried powder foundations from NYX, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, Maybelline, Bare Minerals, Nude by Nature, Pur Minerals, etc... None of these have been half as good as the Tarte foundation. The only drawback is the price, but I will see how many uses I get for $50. On my skin it seems to blend in just about perfectly. It is extremely important to me that you cannot easily notice my foundation. It is for this reason that I carefully prepare my skin by regular exfoliation and using La Roche Posay skincare products. I absolutely love this foundation and would highly recommend it.

About reviewer (59 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

a year ago

This is my HG foundation. I purchased this for about $50 CAN at Sephora, which is expensive but it's worth it. I wear the shade, "Tan Sand". My skin type is oily with pigmentation and scarring from years of acne. I wear makeup daily, whether it's for work, school, etc. This foundation conceals my skin's uneven tone and absorbs oil, leaving me with a beautiful, natural-looking complexion. I get a lot of people asking me about which foundation I use because it looks so natural, covers well and lasts a long time. This is my everyday foundation. This foundation claims to be "full-coverage", but I'd say it's more of a medium-coverage but buildable. If I'm doing a true full-coverage look, which would be for a night out with the ladies or boyfriend, I'd use a full-coverage liquid foundation such as MAC's Studio Fix Fluid. This foundation is best for younger, oily skins. My mother, who is late 40s with combination-skin tried the foundation because it works great for me. She found that it settled a little into her fine lines and was a little patchy against her drier areas. The bottom line is, I do recommend this product. It's great for an everyday foundation and works wonderfully on younger, oily skin types.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

HairBlack, Wavy, Fine

3.0

2 years ago

Reasons I like this: easy to apply powder foundation, airbrushed look for maybe the first 2 hours, decent coverage, the whole tub lasted me for almost a year Reasons i hate this: doesnt stay put, especially around the nose, transfers A LOT, like everywhere on clothes and when i hug people it transfers onto them. Makes me look more tan (i think there's a yellowish undertone?) which is not the look i want most of the time. Will not repurchase.

About reviewer (209 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Relaxed, Medium

EyesBlack

2 years ago

This NEEDS to be applied with a flat top brush if you want it to perform to its max potential. If you apply it with a normal powder brush then it will just be dispersed normally and therefore not be worth its hefty price tag. This is my HG foundation, and I am not exaggerating or kidding in the slightest when I say that this powder alone gives me more coverage than my Elizabeth Arden medium coverage liquid foundation and Tarte Shape Tape *combined*. And despite all of that, it still has a very natural finish as long as you buff it out and use setting spray. This paragraph will be gross so feel free to skip it but I'm gonna be straight up - I had a nasty boil between my eyebrows that turned purple and had the edges flake and the middle scab over (my skin purged from a BHA and then I stupidly used undiluted tea tree oil on it which made it flake and burn). I have very yellow skin so my concealer and liquid foundation pooled in the centre of the boil making it look like pus, and then it wore off on the outer edges of the boil revealing the purple ring, but clung to the skin flakes. That happened within literally five minutes of application. It was horrible. In desperation, I pressed my finger into this powder and then pressed it onto the boil... and it covered it. Entirely. And not a single effing flake was visible. It hid flakes and purple skin and stuck to the scab but still looked 100% natural. It even made the bump look flatter... You just could NOT tell there was a huge purple scabby boil there at all, it honestly looked like smooth skin, and it took less then ten seconds to cover! No primer underneath even. And that lasted me for over eight hours with no touch ups. The packaging is fantastic. The mesh net and dipped in lid prevent powder from spilling and being wasted when it's chucked in a bag. When I finish my first container I plan to wash it and depot a few Innisfree No Sebum powders into it. It can apply patchy so you have to be careful with buffing. It's still much faster to apply than my previous method of liquid foundation and concealer with a damp Beauty Blender, because I don't have to wait for layers to dry. Sadly this is very expensive at $63nzd so I only buy on sale. I don't have the authentic Tarte airbuki brush ($58nzd) but I did buy a knock off airbuki brush on eBay that looks identical (except it doesn't have the Tarte logo) for only ~$5nzd. It's surprisingly good quality, on par with my other authentic Tarte brushes, and has never shed. I recommend it. I also use it to blend out my eyeshadow (I'll do foundation first, then eyeshadow, and run this over my upper brow bone which blends it out and hides uneven tone, then fill in my eyebrows). I've been using this powder 5+ times a week for the last 6 weeks and I estimate that I still have at least a month of powder left so sadly it is very expensive. However, it has stopped me from rebuying concealer, any other foundation, and overpriced Beauty Blenders. I'm an extremely yellow toned NC15 - NC20 and I wear Light Sand (which is much darker than the Shape Tape Light Sand shade). I think I'll be able to still wear this even at my most tan, as long as I use bronzer. This is really saying something because I was previously buying $88 custom matched foundation because nothing else was yellow enough, and trying to get both my winter and summer match was a bit stressful. This is not a mattifying product. It is a natural finish powder that can be made to be matte or dewy depending on what other products you use with it. Even when I use this alone, I have never once seen any shimmer so I'm confused by the other reviewers claiming it has shimmer. My order of application goes: Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Primer - Innisfree No Sebum loose powder (applied with my dense airbuki brush) - Tarte powder foundation - Eyeshadow - a little more Tarte powder on my browbone to blend out the eyeshadow more - ABH Brow Powder - Too Faced Bronzer/Nars Blush - a little more Tarte powder to blend out blush - Setting Spray (I use Heritage Store Rosewater which is just as effective as MAC Fix +) - Etude House Lash Serum - Mascara - more Innisfree No Sebum (applied with a loose natural bristle brush so it's dispersed nicely). The above gives me a skin like finish that is not cakey despite being full coverage, and lasts for around seven hours. Bear in mind that setting spray does NOT extend longevity, that is what fixing spray is for (and be careful because companies frequently mislabel them as the other, you need to read the ingredients to know what is what). On days when I want more longevity, I will apply a small amount of Shape Tape after primer but before setting powder and that will give me around ten hours. I have not had any issues with this sinking into lines. I'm 25 with easily dehydrated skin but I've been moisturising a lot more. I also have not had any issue with it sinking into my enlarged pores, which is a problem I've had with most foundations. I will repurchase despite the large price tag because it is very easy to apply, can be reapplied with no issue, looks natural despite being full coverage, doubles as a concealer and helps blend out eyeshadow and blush. Update: I discovered that if I swatch this on my wrist, it is very shimmery. I have never seen that shimmer appear on my face though. I also switched to using a Zoeva flat buffing brush to apply and it works waaaay better than my fake Tarte brush. I've uploaded a photo of a swatch comparing the colour difference between this powder and Shape Tape, despite both shades being in Light Sand. Unfortunately the photo does not capture the shimmer nor how yellow toned I am.

About reviewer (62 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

2 years ago

I love this product. Perfect for my oily skin. I don't have to use primer or liquid foundation to cover my blemishes. I use this after I applied my sunscreen.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

2.0

3 years ago

Super cute packaging. It has a sifter top, so all of the product doesn't pore out. That's the only thing I like! It settles into pores like no other! I think it has glitter particles in it? Just really weird. It lasted about 2 hrs in my oily skin. Not worth the price. Physicians formula is much better for powder foundation.

About reviewer (44 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Medium

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

3 years ago

This powder foundation is AMAZING. Ran out of my Makeup Forever HD liquid foundation and wanted to try a powder foundation for my skin. I recently moved to California from a super humid climate- my face is acne prone but with the dry weather here I've been developing dry patches. This foundation covers both beautifully (especially when paired w NARS liquid concealer or the maracuya tarte concealer). Full disclosure- I use sealing sprays (all nighter by urban decay) so cannot attest to use of the foundation without a setting powder and spray. Will definitely repurchase!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

2.0

3 years ago

I agree with the previous poster, the light neutral turned me orange! I had bought it for myself as a gift for xmas but was trying to finish up some other makeup before trying this one. Unfortunately once I tried it and realized how orange I looked, it was too late to return or exchange. The airbuki brush was lovely though and made the makeup apply nicely. Waste of money though. Oddly enough the light neutral in the liquid version of this makeup matches me perfectly. Sigh.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesGreen

1.0
from

3 years ago

I really wanted to like this, as an alternative to liquid foundations. But it was a complete letdown. I loved the packaging but that's about it. The colour I was matched to didn't fit. I'm NC25 and was given Light Neutral, which is way too peach. Within an hour, I looked positively Trump-esque, not a great look on anyone. Worse than the shade though, I noticed that I had started flaking around my nose, which made me so self-conscious I kept rushing to the loo to pick at the flakes. Airbrushed look? Not even close.

About reviewer (371 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium