Garden of Wisdom Natural Majik Green Tea HydraGel

Garden of Wisdom Natural Majik Green Tea HydraGel

on 7/17/2016 8:28:00 AM

The Replenex serum was recommended on the skincare board and by a dermatologist who blogs about skincare issues including acne and rosacea. I tend to spend a lot on skincare, but I still have a hard time spending that much on a single product, especially when I can't get samples and don't know if my sensitive, acne-prone, rosacean skin will freak out. I saw Garden of Wisdom's Natural Majik Green Tea HydraGel recommended as a close alternative at a much cheaper price and figured I'd give it a try. I've been a very happy customer of GoW for over a decade. Their oils are very high quality and very affordable and they offer samples of their finished products. Their customer service is stellar too. So I took the plunge and threw some in my order.

I haven't found an affordable, stable or even DIY C serum that either my skin likes or is cosmetically elegant enough for my taste and I wanted some antioxidant action (other than the oils that I use) and I thought this might fit the bill. I finally got around to working this into my extensive routine and I'm impressed. The results were subtle but real after two-week half-face testing. The GT HydraGel side was more even toned, less red and I think, after another week, some of my existing sun spots seemed to be lightening just a bit. The huge bonus for me was I noticed that I didn't have any breakouts on the testing side whereas I did on the non-test side. The one caveat is that I do NOT find this hydrating. For me that's fine because I have plenty of hydrating products elsewhere in my routine, so I use it as more of a treatment, antioxidant serum than for moisture. I do believe that it provide good antioxidant benefits and is calming and soothing for sensitive, acne-prone, reactive skin like mine.

The price point is excellent. It comes in a no-frills dark plastic bottle with a pump which is great. I use one full pump of the opaque serum on my finger, dot it on my face and blend/pat until it quickly absorbs. It's definitely more of a serum texture than a gel. It leaves no sticky residue, so I can move on with the rest of my routine quickly. Thankfully it's unscented, so it doesn't bother my equally sensitive nose or eyes. I will definitely repurchase this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm always interested in adding more antioxidants into my routine, and had been wanting to re-introduce green tea back into my routine for some time now. The only other green tea product I had previously tried was the much beloved Replenix CF serum, which I used almost 2 years ago. It was actually my first foray into the world of antioxidant serums. While I recall it having a slight brightening effect, I think it ultimately irritated/dried me out, as I can recall having some raised rashy areas on my cheeks that went away when I discontinued use. Also, as I'm a university student, continuous use would probably have been slightly out of my budget. I eventually found another aox serum I love that I've been using for over a year now, the PSF Berry Beneficial serum. It has an interesting variety of aox's (including green tea) and is nicely hydrating, but doesn't pack a stronger antioxidant punch like the Replenix CF or a vit C serum. I do also use a vit C serum daily.

With it being summer I wanted to up my aox protection. Started researching green tea options other than the Replenix here on the skincare board and online, and came across the GoW Green Tea Hydragel. Has a couple good reviews and has been discussed sparingly on the board positively. Was a little nervous to try it at first because I'm so clog-prone, but nothing in the ingredient list immediately jumped out at me as an obvious clogger.

The serum itself is light brown in colour, is very thin in texture and dries down very quickly. Although I feel this way about most serums, I find this serum applies MUCH better over damp skin. This serum is not, in itself, especially hydrating. This wasn't totally unexpected to me, as the Replenix hadn't been especially hydrating, and the green tea and caffeine ingredients can be slightly drying. When I first started testing it, I used it in place of my PSF serum, under my anhydrous C serum. I always use a hydrating spray/hydrasol or distilled water before my serums to help them spread better and add more moisture to my skin, and this step was especially important with this green tea serum due to it's thin texture. One pump of this serum can cover my whole face and neck ONLY over damp skin, or else I had a hard time spreading it.

I have actually noticed some positive signs since I've integrated this serum into my routine. Last week I had a small hormonal breakout on my chin due to TTOTM, and the Green Tea Hydragel really helped with the redness and helped it to heal much faster than it typically would on it's own. The caffeine in the serum does actually seem to have the effect of making the pores on my nose look a tad smaller (it's not actually shrinking them, but seems to constrict them a bit, which is nice). My skin generally looks more even toned and glowy. The best part - no clogging yet *fingers crossed*. I've also been spending a lot of time outside recently, and although I'm diligent about SS, hats and sunglasses I'm quite fair so I notice right away if I get any darkening, but my 3 serum antioxidant cocktail seems to be helping haha.

1 oz is $18.60 - compared to the Replenix which is currently $73.20 for 1 oz, so big price difference. If you're interested in trying out a green tea product, this definitely seems like a worthy option. Will update if my thoughts change.

To Read all 4 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/21/2016 2:39:00 AM

I had purchased previously from Garden of Wisdom and noticed the Majik Green Tea Hydragel. The ingredients were similar to my pricier item Replenix serum with green tea, caffeine but the GOW item also had Oat Beta Glucans. I also noticed there was not a lot of “junk” or unnecessary items. I added a trial size to my order. I am so glad I tried this and love it.

The Majik Green Tea Hydragel works well to help calm redness and it works well under other products such as my sunscreen during the day. Does not pill.I have ultra picky skin and I am happy that I can use this. It works as well as the Replenix Serum and is much less money. I hope GOW continues to formulate items that work as well or better than the “name brand.

Ingredients from site:

Green Tea Infusion
- high in antioxidants, flavonoids and minerals
- high in polyphenols
- anti-inflammatory
- stimulating
Liposome Base (soy based)
- penetration enhancer
- hydrates
Green Tea Hydrosol
- high in antioxidants, flavonoids and minerals
Oat Beta Glucans
- healing
- anti-aging
- anti-irritant, anti-itch
- since it can work through the Cellular Lipid Matrix, it lends itself to diminishing the appearance of fine line and wrinkles
- excellent moisturizer with film forming moisturizing properties
- stimulates collagen synthesis (meaning to create a matrix by combining actual dermis properties synergistically)
Caffeine
- stimulating
- energizing
- restores firmness
- tightening
Cosmocil CQ
- broad spectrum, paraben free preservative (does not release formaldehyde)
Cellulose Gum
- natural thickener
Geogard
- broad spectrum, paraben free preservative (does not release formaldehyde)

.25 oz White Bottle w/Flip Cap - $5.90 US
1 oz Black PET Bottle w/Black Pump - $18.60
Product ships from Arizona.

Replenix Serum CF is $73.20 for one ounce bottle. (Dermstore - prices vary)

I have repurchased. There was a flash sale so I ordered two bottles. Garden of Wisdom rarely has sales. Overall I am very happy with purchase.

I also love mandelic acid (reviewed).

I put pricing as a 2. Shipping to Canada is a little pricey but reasonable compared to other companies that start at $20.00 for samples.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Good antioxidant serum: the main ingredients being green tea and oat extracts, and caffeine, in a liposome base. A dark cream to yellowish colour, somewhat opaque, cream-gel in texture. Smells of green tea; no added scent.

PURPOSE:

As a heavy-duty antioxidant sunscreen-booster; I first tried this out as I was looking for a cheaper antioxidant serum to replace the Topix Replenix Power of Three serum. See JoshuaP and his notepad for further details on using antioxidant serums for sun protection...

APPLICATION: on skin all over: eye area, face, neck, throat, hands, arms, rest of body--all areas that are exposed to sun, plus some that are covered up but right under The Glare From Above (shoulders, upper arms).

Applied in the morning after washing. Followed by moisturiser (plain oil) and sunscreen. When using this, I often mix it in with GoW Matcha Green Tea HA Serum (ratio of around 1:2 Majik GT:Matcha).*

I also just use the Matcha serum alone, in damper weather (my skin gets very dry with HA otherwise). For more on it, see its product review(s): http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=164192

Colder or drier weather, drier and/or more reactive skin: GoW oat serum.

COMMENTS:

Have used this for a short while now: long enough to be able to say there's no irritation or clogging with it (i.e. more than 6 weeks). I like it fairly well so far. This feels (on my skin, anyway) very like the Power of Three serum; it does have a similar base, and several functional ingredients in common. Both companies are cruelty-free.

Differences:
---Majik GT is less than 1/3 of the price of Po3
---Po3 has resveratrol and hyaluronic acid, this doesn't
---Majik GT has oat extract, and Po3 doesn't; all things oaty are ace on my skin (dryish, eczema occasionally), but NB not on all skins.
---Po3 has other soothing ingredients: cucumber and chamomile extracts (inc. bisabolol); but NB chamomile extracts can irritate, worth looking out for if you have allergies (especially severe) to any plants in the ragweed family.

Majik GT is nice, feels pleasant, sinks in straight away. I didn't find it immediately drying--unlike many serums on my skin--but on the other hand, I didn't find it (or indeed the Po3) particularly hydratingly skin-plumping.

My compromise: mixing Majik GT (for its green tea and oaty marvellousness) with one of the GoW hyaluronic acid serums, the Matcha Green Tea HA Serum.* If needing more moisture: the GoW oat serum.

The Majik may be helping sunscreen to work by adding that antioxidant layer underneath. MAY, that's all: I can't honestly say more than that.

I haven't done proper scientific testing so can't give you side-by-side results for antioxidant protection on skin. In that while I haven't burned this year, or seemed any more wrinkly, I've also used sunscreen, clothing, hats, sunglasses, etc. so couldn't claim any one of these factors to have been the principal one in protecting skin. And I haven't done good sample testing, double-blind with controls.

INGREDIENTS: Green Tea Infusion, Liposome Base (soy based), Green Tea Hydrosol, Oat Beta Glucans, Caffeine, Cosmocil CQ, Cellulose Gum, Geogard

Garden of Wisdom product information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/8295308/9037512.htm

$5.90 / 0.25 oz
$18.60 / 1 oz
+ shipping: I'm in Canada and usually get enough GoW stuff to fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, so $12.95 for 4 lbs. That takes somewhere in the region of 1-3 weeks, depending on time of year and our lovely friends at the border and in Canada Post. For other international locations, that's $16.95; US rates are lower, being domestic... See here for full information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/shippingpolicies.html

FOR COMPARISON: TOPIX REPLENIX POWER OF THREE SERUM

INGREDIENTS:
Purified Water, Caffeine U.S.P., Sclerotium Gum, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Polyphenols, Sodium Hyaluronate, Resveratrol, Bisabolol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Chamomilla Recutila (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Glycolic Acid, Polysorbate-20, Sodium Benzoate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol.

$62.00-68.00 for 1 oz
often with 20% off at various etailers, bringing the price down to $50.00 or so.
+ shipping if you're in Canada or elsewhere outside the US: add US$15.00 - 40.00 (bah humbug)

* I tried some other ratios, that one seems to work out best for getting / not reducing excessively the full hydrating effects of the Matcha serum. The reason I do this is to add a hydrating layer to skin. My skin is dryish and dehydrated, irritably, damage-prone (it's thin), and has had on-off eczema all my life. This skin works best with layers of hydration and moisture slapped on top. By "works best" I mean: I don't feel anything and can get on with life; skin doesn't flake, split, crack up, feel tight, and hurt.

GoW MATCH GREEN TEA HA SERUM INGREDIENTS: Distilled Water, Matcha Green Tea, Hyaluronic Acid 1% (bio-engineered source), Optiphen

Garden of Wisdom product information: http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/7436406/7793129.htm

PRICES:
$ 4.85 / 0.5 oz = good size sample, probably around 2 weeks' worth with generous use
$12.90 / 2 oz = full size continued >>