Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask
Charcoal and Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask

4.2

Not tested on animals

sucrose, propylene glycol, carbon (activated charcoal), kaolin musa sapientum (banana) fruit extract, cocos nucifera (coconut extract), zingiber officinale (ginger) root extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, carica papaya fruit extract, maranta arundinacea root extract, rubus idaeus (raspberry) fruit extract, santalum album (sandalwood) extract, macrocystus pyrifera extract, nasturtium officinale extract, aleurites moluccana extract, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, carbomer, fragrance (parfum), iron oxide.

on 2/18/2014 11:21:00 PM

This stuff looks really awful coming out of the tube (like animal you-know-what), the lid won't close all the way by the conventional means of flipping it closed, it falls off your face when trying to apply it, and goes on blotchy and uneven giving a Rambo-like camouflage look (which, I admit, is kind of fun).

So what's to love then? It's simply a fantastic product! And exactly what I was looking for. And a gem for under 5 bucks!!

I've been looking for a mask to replace the amazing exfoliating cream from Vichy (discontinued, so won't go into that), and my skin's been dry and blotchy and dull - and I've got everything needed in natural and high-end beauty counter skincare, but nothing was helping. I normally do natural oil massages, or pull out my Queen Helen Mint Julep or DHC scrubs, or sugar and oatmeal scrubs, aspirin masks, etc. but nothing was making my skin feel clean enough, was improving the redness or dealing with the dehydration.

I read the reviews for this scrub/mask because I had just tried a single-use pack of Freeman's Cucumber Peel Off Mask (and liked it too). I was so intrigued by what MUA'ers (and my age even) were saying about this product, so I got it today and just tried it.

WoW! This has made my skin cleaner, calmer, and softer than anything else in flipping months! I can tell that another two treatments and the bumps will be gone, and the congestion will clear. I can't wait to use it again - it's so unique.

My Tips for Use: Smooth, then pat the product on your skin to get best coverage; follow directions, then after doing the exfoliating part, touch the backs of your hands on your skin to get the product onto your hands and get an AMAZING hand reflexology and 1-minute manicure by massaging the scrub in. Rinse your hands under water, then wipe the product off your face with a warm cloth; rinse with warm water to remove the rest.

I'm going through a skincare transition and have a few different products I'm rotating through as I try to find how to newly care for my changing skin, so I followed up with a DHC Moisture Fruit Lotion (toner), my fresh homemade vitamin C serum (what a glow that produced after the scrub!), my Clarin's Hydra-quench Serum, and the rest of my Clarin's Vital-Light Night Cream sample (not a bad product).

I love it! My skin feels plump, and looks calm and *super* fresh and clean!

Thanks again to MUA'ers for sharing your stories and saving me $~)

on 7/29/2013 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Just picked this up for a bargain $3 at my local Ocean State Junk Lot and wow!!!!
I am so thoroughly impressed!!! If you are familiar with Remede's Sweep and love it, look no further than this...ok, so it does not have pulverized marble but the black sugar feels just as divine...my skin felt so smooth and silky after cleansing...go get yours now my friends !! xo

Hi MUA,
I absolutely LOVE All the "Freeman" Facial Masks! These even override the "Queen Helene" Facial Masks..& "Queen Helene" have awesome & affordable masks that work! However, THIS black head removal mask, is addicting & it does what it claims. It leaves your skin feeling like you just spent hour's getting a facial..when you didn't. I noticed very soft, silky, black head free skin! I would be as bold to say that THIS Company might even start to become a "Cult" favoring & following! You have to try it to believe it! Love clean, glowing, supple skin in your late 40's or at ANY age?! Me Too!
TIP: I strongly suggest that when you are using any mask for your face..I wouldn't recommend keeping or using your masks in the shower! I know it's easier and it saves time, but I wouldn't recommend it. To get a full effect of any mask, apply it over your sink & then go make your bed or throw a load of laundry in.. Or simply watch tv & relax, until time is up to remove your mask! WHY?! Because for one, you will get the full mask effect by staying away from moisture & water. Another reason is because the mask tube can collect water in your shower & water down your mask. This doesn't give you the full mask effect. Who wants watered down cosmetics? Plus it can be very messy to use in your shower. Just a heads up, on how to get the full effect of your product's, you don't settle for half of a full effect, if you will.
I hope this helps MUA! 😁🌹

on 1/21/2017 5:28:00 PM

I REALLY didn't want to like this because it contains Propylene glycol alcohol, and I have totally eliminated any cleansing/lotion products that contain that...I got it as a stocking stuffer, so I decided to try it at least once...im 47 with combo skin, no acne or acne scars and WOW, my skin was glowing like the heavens above, for DAYS after, no joke, was very impressed. I have decided to just use it once every 10 days or so, and am not too worried about the alcohol as long as I don't use it too often, and moisturize well...but to be honest, just using it once every 10 days or so has been enough to keep the glowing effect going, and I feel like its a hard core, yet gentle exfoliator. I will probably repurchase after I use it up, because I think its only about $4 a tube, but it does the job. Its definitely not an exfoliator to be used daily, the bottle says to use twice a week, and if it didn't have glycol I probably would use it twice a week....its a great product.

on 2/25/2018 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! I am recently on a quest for better skin..menopause is kicking me while I am down...wrinkles and pimples do NOT mix. I got this at the local drugstore for a teeny price tag..how I use it is after I wash my face..i damp dry with washcloth and put this on...go about my bath and let it just sit. When I am ready to rinse off I rinse this last..get my hands wet again with warm water and kinda massage it in as it rinses away...and I have been pimple free since..except when I stray from this bargain...it will ALWAYS be in my bathroom from now on!!!

I adore this product! It smells pleasant but it's real power is your face will feel the smoothest after treatment that it has ever felt before. And soft? Just like silk. Not to mention a glowing complexion to boot. Use once weekly for a great supplement to your facial regimen.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This stuff means business!!!!!! I had been using (and loving) a scrub from the Boots line of skincare (which I used to find at Target), but I am always intrigued by these Freeman masks. So, the Target near me stopped carrying my fave Boots scrub...And when I see these Freeman masks at Walmart in their basic little trial-size packs for about $1.37 or so, I fall for them!! I have tried 3 or 4 besides this one, and have always been pleased. Which that says a lot, because my skin is sensitive, my nose is sensitive to scents (for the most part if these have any scent, it is mild imo), and I tend to break out with the "wrong"products or skin care. Each scrub/mask I have used from the Freeman line has been a pleasure, and this one is no exception.

My skin literally feels softer than anything I have ever tried after using this.
Soft as a baby's bottom, for sure!!

I know many love and swear by the Clarisonic, but I would rather use an actual scrub. To me it is just more sanitary, and I am not sure how cost-effective the Clarisonic really is, even over time, as you need replacement items, you still need a cleanser, etc...So I just prefer an actual 'scrub' product, plus I have heard some gals with sensitive skin do not like the Clarisonic, I know this is not about the Clarisonic -- I am just using that as a comparison, though.

The scrubbing particles on this Charcoal & Black Sugar mask are quite 'coarse'..for someone like me with sensitive skin, I would not recommend using this more than once or twice a week-max. But it does get the skin velvety-smooth and whisks away any trace of anything you would want removed. Does not leave skin dry, just soft!! -- That said, the granules might be pretty coarse and/ or too rough for someone with delicate and/or sensitive skin.

I will definitely add this to my skin care arsenal, using it just once in a while for a really deep-clean. I will not use this in regular rotation, but when skin feels like it needs a little 'something extra' , this is it, imo.

Little funny side-note: the sugar part of this is actually quite tasty (particles fell onto my lips as it dried), so that tells me this is actually pretty safe and gentle.

One thing I might recommend is, not leaving this on for the suggested 5 - 7 minutes, esp if you have sensitive skin. I think applying this and rinsing it right off would be very effective. Letting it sit on the skin dries the mask, obviously, which seems to make it a little more 'harsh'..but even still, that did not irritate my skin, and my skin is pretty sensitive.

Will re-purchase. Again, to me this is not a daily or regularly-used item, but it is very nice to have on hand for days I want/need a deep-down clean!! And super-affordable and easily accessible. Most drugstores carry this. Great product, great line!!

on 2/28/2015 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I've tried LOTS of scrubs, masks, etc. and this stuff is amazing!! Has a pleasant low-key smell (neither overtly "chemical" or "natural/medicinal" and it's a steal for the price.

Although it's called a mask, it's like a scrub. It's pleasantly gritty. My skin is pretty sensitive, and I use this once a week. My skin looks and smells nice and clean - not at all raw or irritated.

on 1/31/2015 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I absolutely love this product. I use it mostly as a scrub, and sometimes as a mask. My skin feels so clean, soft, and lovely after using it. It's very inexpensive, and most importantly, my skin looks clear and glowing after using. I highly recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

This mask exfoliates your skin and has a warming feeling to it. I felt all of the impurities being pulled out my skin. After washing my face, my skin feels so soft and delicate.