Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Daily Mineral Complex SPF 30

3.8

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 6%; Titanium Dioxide 2.32% (sunscreens). Other Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Palmitate (thickener),Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents and skin protectants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Methicone (emollient), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer (film-forming agent), Isohexadecane (dry-finish solvent), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Propylene Glycol (moisture-binding agent), Polyglyceryl-6 Isostearate (emollient), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant),Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (antioxidant), Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agents), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Panthenol (skin-repairing ingredients), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Alumina, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickeners), Triethoxysilylethyl Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Hexyl Dimethicone (skin-conditioning agent), Diethylhexyl Carbonate (emollient), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have to use mineral sunscreen because the chemical stuff always gets in my eyes. While most mineral sunscreens are heavy and have a little bit of a white cast, this one is very light with no whiteness at all. It is a great daily basic, but I wish it were a little less expensive.

on 3/12/2017 3:58:00 PM

This is my FAVOURITE sunscreen! I've gone through seven tubes so far, and I will continue to order it. I have sensitive, normal to oily (t-zone) skin, and this works perfectly for me, even during the cold winter months, when my skin is more dry. I like that it's not too mattifying, and doesn't leave my skin feeling greasy. It also acts as a beautiful primer under foundation. That was one of the first things I noticed when I started using this sunscreen. It seems to make my skin look even better when I wear it under foundation. I also like that it doesn't break me out at all. One thing I should mention is that it is not tinted and does leave a bit of a white cast on the skin, which is fine if you're putting foundation or powder over top. I have fair skin, so it's not a problem for me, but it may not work for someone with a darker complexion. Other than that, I can't say enough good things about it!! I am just so happy to have found a sunscreen that I absolutely love.

on 1/14/2017 4:24:00 PM

It's a good moisturizer and the spf is adequate. Doesn't irritate my finicky skin or break me out. Consistency is good, no white cast. Main downside is that it doesn't mattify at all. Like, at alllllll :-(((

Price: a bit expensive at $33 for a small tube with product of a runny consistency (runs out 2-3 times faster than all my other sunscreens due to its runniness)

Product: really good! Makes my skin tone more even, my friend thought I was wearing foundation one time I had this on! First shine free sunscreen I've ever tried that actually almost lives up to its name. It stays shine free for a decent amount of tiem, unlike, ahem, neutrogena ultra sheer facial sunscreen. Only qualm, which is why I took one lippie off, is that after washing my face, my face is sooo dry. It's weird, the sunscreen while on my face gradually gets greasier on the surface throughout the day, but at the same time I can feel my face tightening more with dryness throughout the day. After I wash this off, it's truly evident how dry this makes my face. But I've got dry skin so maybe if you've got ultra dry skin this sunscreen isn't for you!! Bought it because even dry skinned girls like myself get greasy with normal sunscreen. Works well under make up also.

Packaging: meh, does the work and it's rubby enough to I assume not waste too much product out of the tube. Ugly packaging but I don't really mind.

ALSO, I contacted Paulas choice and they told me the calm redness sunscreen moisturiser is the exact same formula as this product! So it's not really gone as much as being relabelled and remarketed. Sneaky Paulas choice.

Paula is discontinuing the Hydralight line and replacing it with the new Calm Redness Relief line. I'm not sure why, because these lines seem marketed to different skin concerns, but there ya go. As such, the whole Hydralight line is on clearance now while you still have a chance to buy.
I'm sad to see this go because I've been using it as my daytime moisturizer for probably about 2 years. This is marketed for oily skin, but I have dry-combo skin and this moisturizer has served me well through all seasons. It dries down to a matte finish and leaves my skin feeling smooth and moisturized but not the least bit oily. The sun protection has been very reliable. It's a mineral sunscreen which is a must for me because the synthetic sunscreens irritate me. I can apply this around the eye area with no irritation. I do not find it leaves a white cast on my pale skin.
I have used the more expensive RESIST Super-Light SPF 30 as well (also marketed for oily skin), and while I liked it, I prefer Hydralight and find it to be more moisturizing and better value. Super-Light was perfect for me in the summer but not all seasons.
I recommend grabbing some of this on clearance while you can. I hope the new Calm moisturizer is a suitable replacement because otherwise I'll be hunting a long time for something as good as Hydralight.

on 4/2/2016 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Effective Protection
Non-comedogenic
Not Greasy
Rubs In Well
UVA/UVB Protection

Cons
None

Best Uses

Daily Use

I've been on a quest for facial sunscreen, and have been going through samples of PC products because I haven't had good luck with other brands. I am olive complected with "extreme" combination normal to oily skin and some sensitivity. I tried Resist Youth-Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 50, Skin Balancing spf 30, and Hydralight spf 30. I felt a little like Goldilocks and the three bears...

All three sunscreens were great for daily use: lightweight, absorbed quickly, left no white cast, non-greasy, just a touch of moisture for skin tending toward oilyness, didn't add to facial oil production throughout the day. All three are somewhat liquid in texture, but not too thin. This means they are easy to apply and don't feel mask-like as other sunscreens might.

Here is where the three differed:

Resist spf 50 (chemical sunscreen)--soothing, did not sting eyes, but left a sheen ie, was not mattifying on my skin

Skin Balancing spf 30 (chemical sunscreen)--ok on face but burned around my eyes, mattifying

Hydralight spf 30 (physical sunscreen)--soothing, did not sting eyes, and mattifying, a bit thicker than the others but easy to work into skin

In my case Hydralight was the "just right" solution to quell my sensitive eye area and provide some mattification. I also really loved the super light weight of Resist spf 50 and Skin Balancing. I think if the Resist product didn't leave a sheen, that would be my HG sunscreen since it provides a bit more protection, is non-irritating and has great anti-aging ingredients. Skin Balancing was also great as a lightweight handcream, leaving my hands feeling silky and smooth with no shine. For now, I'm going to stick with Hydralight as my full purchase, but all three are worthy of sampling.

Also note that Hydralight is being "discontinued". The same formula is being repackaged in the Calm line of products for Normal to Oily skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Hg product for me.
At first has a very white cast but this settles in a minute or so and can't be seen once makeup on. I wouldn't choose this if not wearing foundation.
Dries to a matt/satin finish very quickly so you don't have to wait long before applying makeup.
I find it a good base for makeup and leaves my skin feeling comfortable. Dryer skin may prefer something slightly more moisturising.
Packaging isn't the prettiest but it is practical. It's not the cheapest and buying from the UK I never see discount codes tho I shop with PC for lots of products.

UPDATE : I find this the best of the spf Moisturisers for wearing under makeup but continued daily use made my undereye area dry, presumably from the Zinc. I now use either Olay complete spf 30 or Alpha H essential daily spf 50 which are both excellent.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hydralight SPF 30 is a really good option for normal/combo skin. Mine is dry so I need to apply a touch of moisturizer under this sunscreen, but the Hydralight leaves such a nice natural finish on my skin that I don't particularly mind. I knocked a lippie off because on very dry skin days, this will accentuate flakes around any spots I might have which is frustrating - but it rarely ever happens so it's not the worst thing. I don't break out from this product, and I think the zinc oxide in it even helps soothe inflammation I have. If I ran out of this product, I would buy it again - but I also plan on trying other PC sunscreens, so it's not like this one is my ride or die.

on 12/29/2015 3:57:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A good moisturizer, with high broad spectrum, suitable for oily, combination and acnee prone skin. I use it as make-up base, It's suitable for fair skin, because it leaves a white veil on face, wich lasts almost an hour, and it will be annoying for someone with darker skin.

on 12/12/2015 9:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

No, I don't like this one. It did moisturise my skin well and I like the fact that it contains SPF 30, but it made my skin super oily and shiny. I would definitely not call it shine-free because it's not even close to being that.