Sigma Travel Kit - Mr. Bunny

No Image

4.5

on 11/22/2014 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I bought this set after checking out all the reviews here and on YouTube, and so far, so good! In summary:

Pros:

VERY soft brushes, especially for the price. I think it's because they're the same Sigmax hair as my beloved F82 brush.

Does not shed! Well constructed brushes of good quality.

Eye brushes very good - E40 blends well for smokey eye look, E55 packs on color well, size of brush head comparable to full size brushes, E30 (pencil brush) great for highlighting the inner eye and doing the outer 'V'.

F40 contour brush has a brush head that's smaller than full size brush, which I actually like as it helps control the contour shade when I apply. Good for cream blushes too.

Brush length - I can stand near the mirror without hitting the brush handle against the mirror, yet they are not too short to do their job. Similar length to the F82 or F80.

Containers are very handy for holding brushes on my table, they even have space for my F82 buffing brush.

Synthetic hairs don't absorb creams as much as natural hair brushes.

Cons:

Powder brush is smaller than full size brush. I ended up getting the Real Techniques one, which is cheaper but slightly less soft, though soft enough for me. A bigger brush helps loose powder to apply more thinly and naturally, but this brush may work if u have a smaller face. I actually use this for powder blush.

The foundation brush I frankly have no use for, wish they replaced it with F80 or F82. The paddle shape just doesn't buff in foundation as well, and tends to leave streaks for liquid foundations.

More expensive than before - Sigma keeps increasing their prices yearly at a rate I do not understand. That said, it's still cheaper than other brands like MAC.

The container came with a slight flaw, the button on one side was slightly misaligned so it doesn't close very well. Still travel-friendly though.

Overall, I will recommend this if you're looking for quality brushes (particularly eye brushes) at moderate price.

Tip: Sigma sells a portable set of three brushes called Color Pop Brush kit. I take my E40, E55 and F40, throw them into a mini pencil pouch and it fits! $$ saved.

on 7/7/2013 2:29:00 PM

First of all, hurrah and huzzah for travel brushes that don't have itty bitty handles! Sigma has shortened the handles by an average of about 3/4 of an inch (compared to my full size brushes from assorted brands), which is enough to improve portability, but still maintain good balance in the hand and comfort of use.

I was a bit hesitant to order this due to the synthetic bristles, which in the past I've found to be too rough on the skin and not as effective as natural bristles in picking up and applying product. Luckily, I was wrong.

Here's a break down of the brushes you get and my thoughts:

F-30 Large Powder Brush
Well, first of all it's not what I'd call large. Personally, I prefer quite large and flat powder brushes so initially I wasn't thrilled. However, as I thought about it I realized what Sigma was shooting for. After all, this is a travel kit, so the ability to multi task with one brush can only be a bonus.
Sure enough I've found that this is large enough to dust on powder or bronzer, but is still small enough to use for blush as well. Upon comparing it to some similar brushes in my collection I also found that it is slightly more tapered in the center, so I hold the brush vertically and just tap the very tip of it in my highlighter and it works great for that as well.
It's also worth mentioning that I've seen ZERO bristle shedding. None while using, none while washing. If I had to complain, I'd say it would be nice if the brush were flatter and more dense, but that's just me.

F-40 Large Angled Contour.
Most of what I've said above could be applied to this brush, but I find it more problematic than the powder brush. Contour brushes need to be fairly precise in cut to be effective for their purpose. In my opinion, this brush fans out too much on the tapered end when I use it and the bristles are almost too soft. To it's credit, it picks up a nice amount of pigment and applies it evenly, but I have to work with it a bit to get a good contour. I find holding the brush right where the bristles and the ferrule meet helps keep the brush more compact and precise.

F-60 Foundation Brush
I don't often use brushes to apply foundation, but this one might change my mind about that. Again, I've always assumed that bigger is better in face brushes, but this little gem reminds me that performance counts. Big enough to place the foundation but small enough to blend concealer and add cream highlighters or blushes. Excellent.

E-40 Tapered Blending Brush
A good, solid brush. Works perfectly for it's intended purpose. Applies color evenly. Very soft and comfortable to use, if not just a tad large for my smallish eyes. Absolutely comparable to the MAC 224.

E-55 Eye Shading
I really like this one for patting color on to the lid. Feels soft on the eye, but the bristles are stiff and compact enough to really pack the color on. Its also nicely tapered on the end so I can really work shadow into the lash line. Possibly my favorite from the set.

E-30 Pencil Brush
The only complaint I have about this brush is that it could be a more tapered on the end. I actually like this better that MAC's pencil brush, which I returned because it was so scratchy!

E-56 Small Angle
Similar to the MAC 266, but better. I found the MAC to be too soft and not dense enough. In my opinion, this beats the MAC hands down.

The Case
NOT really all that travel friendly, strangely enough. If Sigma really wanted to go all out on the travel thing, they should've just done a small brush roll.

All in all this is a very well thought out collection of travel brushes. Although there are some minor issues with the cut and stiffness/denseness of bristles, the brushes themselves are solid and well made, especially considering their price point! I've had zero shedding with any of these brushes. And, while I still favor my Hakuhodos, they definitely give any of the MAC brushes I've tried a run for the money.

Popular Makeup Brushes