3.3

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel is my HG for High prosity 2B/2C curls! Gives me hair incredible definition and ringlets! This has a lot of protein which my hair loves, if you have low prosity or is protein sensitive I would try Light Defining gel. (Not enough hold for me). (arc Angel - to sticky/tacky) I use praying hands to apply this after I use Super Cream. This is my HG gel! Creates beautiful curls and ringlets and if you coat your hair evenly creates beautiful curls that are FRIZZ FREE! I use ALOT of gel in my short hair to make sure everything is evenly coated. Once it dries with a beautiful cast I flip my head upside down and SOTC with Biosilk oil! gives me soft large curls that are clumped. So grateful for this amazing line! I use to bleach and straighten my hair for 12 years. Learned how to express my natural hair pattern with DC and will never go back to my old ways. Expressing my natural colour and natural hair texture!

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Medium

HairBlond

a year ago

After hearing good things about DevaCurl, I decided to try this gel. I've been trying to wear my hair natural more often, but I needed something to give my hair more definition and less frizz. Pros- Adds definition to my hair. I haven't seen it this curly in a long time, although this could be from cutting back from heat. Smells good. When I use the appropriate amount (about a quarter size), it helps tame frizz and smooths out hair. Doesn't weigh my hair down. Cons- Price is expensive. I got the travel size one (just for starting out) and I am a bit unsure if I'll buy it again due to the pricing. Packaging- I prefer when gels are in a tube versus bottle. It's harder to get out since I've continued to use it. If I use too much of this product, my hair can get sticky-ish. I think it is worth trying out, but I am uncertain if this an HG for me.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

EyesHazel

a year ago

I switched to this from the light defining gel and I notice an improvement. I have high porosity 2c/3a hair and scrunch the gel into soaking wet hair. I don't rake it though and just blot with a t shirt. It gives me even, defined curls that I can wear for 3 days. Yes, my hair is frizzy by the third day but it doesn't make my scalp itchy or make my hair feel greasy. Still looking for my HG product, but will use this in the meantime.

About reviewer (195 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Curly, Fine

a year ago

I bought a sample of this gel and I hated it. I have very fine, thin 3a/b curls and don't need curl enhancement ; I want a gel for definition and hold. I tried it over wet (water squeezed out but not towel dried at all) hair, blotted it with a t-shirt and let it air dry, which is my normal routine. My hair was frizzy, rough, and totally unmanageable; I had zero hold and absolutely no curl definition. It was actually worse than when I use no products after washing. Maybe it's intended to be used in combination with other Deva products; I don't know, but after using this gel I'm not interested in Deva. Plus it's very expensive. I returned it.

About reviewer (203 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Curly, Fine

a year ago

I love this gel. First, you put it in when your hair is sopping wet, hold your head upside down, and scrunch it in. Then, scrunch it up with your special hair towel - forgot it’s official name. Then make sure it’s lying right, and wait for it to dry. For me, it curls right up and even spirals. I have 2B hair. One time a cashier at Ulta asked me what gel I used when I had just used this.

About reviewer (38 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBrown

2 years ago

My low porosity, 3A/3B ringlet curls did not like this gel. It did give my curls hold and definition, BUT, no matter how (scrunching, praying hands, shake and rake) or when (sopping wet, damp, etc) I applied it, my hair was left crunchy and brittle. I had high hopes for this gel, given the price and brand. I like the smell, that's all I can say.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinOily, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBlack, Curly, Coarse

2 years ago

I have 3B curls, with a tendency to get very dry, which I'm realizing is a naturally tendency for curly hair. This product was the utmost hoax! I simply cannot understand how so many people are vouching for it in their online tutorials. It completely dried up my hair and left it crunchy. It didn't last at all, it just left me with wet crunchy looking hair for a couple of hours. The remaining time, my hair was just dry. I went back to see the tutorials and check if I was applying it the right way and tried different combinations (on very wet hair, on damp hair, after and before leave-in) but did not manage to get a satisfactory result. I feel like throwing the rest of it away, which is frustrating as it was not cheap and was actually hard to get, as I live in Europe. I hear there is another gel by DevaCurl, the Arc Angel gel, which some influencers prefer, but I just don't feel like taking the risk again.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

2 years ago

Ugh. I so badly want DevaCurl products to work for my hair, but sadly, yet again, this was a total miss for me. I have very fluffy, very full, baby fine 2C hair that can mimic 3/a or even 3/b when styled correctly. My hair needs a lot of hold, and this does absolutely nothing in terms of that for me. The real deal breaker is that way this makes my hair *feel*. Hair that I can usually wash every 3 to 4 days needs to be washed the same night with this stuff - it is VERY drying and makes my hair look dirty, dull and tangled. I can't even use this as a layering gel with a harder holding product on top because of how it makes my hair feel. Glad I only bought the small travel size.

About reviewer (363 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Curly, Fine

EyesHazel

3 years ago

I love this gel for my fine, porous, dense 2c hair. I get tons of defined waves and even some ringlets that last for a few days whenever I use this. I never, ever get crunch if I use it over the B'Leave In leave in gel. That product not only prevents crunch, but volumizes and boosts my curl. The two products are my dream team Holy Grails when used together. I have repurchased both already in the big pump bottles.

About reviewer (456 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Other

EyesGreen

3.0

3 years ago

Pro...it did give some nice volume & curl definition at very first. But then my hair started drooping. Day 2 hair was poofy & undefined. I have fine wavy to curly hair & use this from the crown down & the Deva Styling Cream from bottom up to mid shaft. If it were cheaper I would have more patience for it. But at this price I shouldn't have to work so hard.

About reviewer (1197 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral