CHANEL Les 4 Ombres - 74 Nymphea Quad

Filtered by age: 36-43
CHANEL Les 4 Ombres - 74 Nymphea Quad

3.9

on 5/2/2014 9:15:00 PM

Iíve had this quad forever and every time I pull it out to use it I remember just how lovely it is. I am NC15-ish with auburn hair and brown eyes and find the colors pigmented enough to create very pretty daytime looks. These shadows arenít going to work for anyone with dark skin or looking for dramatic color payoff. The color descriptions in the previous reviews are accurate: a beautiful bone-colored beige, a peach/pink, a pale green and a mid-tone brown. I like to swipe the bone all over my lid and brow bone, use the peach/pink (which reads more pink on me) on my lids and use the brown in the crease. All shades have dimension to them without being too powdery, shimmery, sparkly or glittery.

First weeks after I'd bought Le 4 Ombres in Nymphea, I feel little disappointed. The color too sheer even I always wear eye shadow base (Christian Dior Nude).
After I tried Lisa Eldridge's make up lesson about natural make up (watch it, it's really working), I love this eyeshadow !
You can count on Chanel to make a woman looks beautiful in a subtle and understated way.
The pink contains subtle golden sparkle that make eyes look bright. The green is quite sheer but very pretty.
Nymphea is definitely everyday eyeshadow, it's not for smokey eyes or something bold.

on 4/24/2010 7:50:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I swapped for the european version of this quad which has the much smaller round e/s. I like the colors- great for a spring eye look. Color payoff is not too great on the 3 lighter shades so I have to load up on the primer potion and pack this on. But the colors are pretty - especially love the melon color- totally reminds me of MAC melon pigment, and the green is nice as highlighter and over the brown to lighten it up a bit.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really love this little quad from Chanel. If you have never purchased Chanel eyeshadows, you will love this little package. The colors work very well together and the consistency of the product is like butter. They are super easy to use and to blend and go on like satin. Yes, I agree that Dior shadows are more pigmented, but these are more versatile and the quality is consistent. With the Dior quints, I inevitably have 2 or 3 colors I cannot use and some of them are chalky. I can honestly say I have never experienced this with Chanel--the shadows are consistently silky and smooth, never chalky. The finish is glimmery without any glitter or metallic brashness, just glowing and almost dewy.

Of course the packaging is the posh Chanel black and gold colors and looks so chic (it is plastic however). The applicators are practically worthless, but they will do in a pinch and the compact is sleek so you can throw it into a clutch if you wish. I don't care that the pigmentation is less than say Urban Decay or MAC or even Dior. These can be layered for intensity and you cannot make a super pigmented shadow more sheer, can you?

As for these colors, their is a peachy pink that leans warm (goes on peachy but it looks like it would be more apricot--it is more sheer on the lid than in the compact) and a golden green that looks more golden unless layered. There is a slightly greyed brown the color of bark and a champagne with a little bit of pink tone that is a great high lighter. (Brow color)

I usually prefer cool quads but this is perfect for Spring. Lovely in a word. The price is expensive, but it is worth it to me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love Chanel shadows. This palette is so soft and pretty. The colors look so pretty together. I put a little green right over my pupil and it makes my eyes pop. Chanel's shadows have a great texture and consistency. They wear all day. I wouldn't rebuy... only because I think this palette will last my lifetime.

on 4/30/2008 8:04:00 AM

I would like to add that I've since become a MU Artist & the trick is blending the peach and green shade over the brown for a cool copper effect and highlighting the brow bone with the lighter shade...you can use any combination of blends ..this is a staple in my train case!!!
I love these shadows. You can apply wet for a more intense look. I used to think Chanel was all hype and over priced... I don't find pricing any different then the Christian Dior quads I used to buy..Anyway, I was wrong these are the prettiest shadows I have ever owned and I will be trying more chanel quads for a variety of looks.

on 7/25/2007 8:40:00 AM

This quad is really pretty. I used all 4 colors, applying the pale green shade at the center of my eyelid. You could easily use 2 of the 4 or 3 of the 4 and achieve a pretty look. I would repurchase it again but will most likely never use it up as I own so many shadows and NEVER stick to the same look 2 days in a row. The quality of these shadows is top notch and while expensive, I think you get what you pay for, at least IMO.

Absolutely perfection. Every color is blendable and usable. I love the intense cocoa brown which is just slightly lighter and less pigmented than my most favorite: Shadowlights CHAHUT for the outer eye "v". Chahut for night time and this brown for day.

All the colors blend amazingly well although I'm alternating now with some Veluxe pearl for longer lasting shimmer (but just a bit in the eyeball area) I use the absolutely gorgeous light minty kiwi which shimmers gold for a wash. By the way this works really well with the new MAC SUMPTUOUS OLIVE veluxe pearl. The result with or without MAC JUXT is gorgeous. I generally don't like to use this palette separately with other shadows but both colors are KIWI and the blendability is amazing.

The most perfectly glamour and classy quad. There is nothing like the texture, shimmer and durability of chanel without the garishness of glitter. Its understated but glamorous.

on 10/29/2004 2:20:00 PM

This was my frist Channel eyeshadow purchase. I fell in love with these colors and they looked like they would suit my neutral ppp to lll coloring and green eyes.

I was so disappointed that when I applied them they had no color depth and read as a pale barely there shimmer. My lids are somewhat dark compared to the rest of my skin so I tried these with a neutral base shadow, with MAC barecanvas paint, and even MAC's Cream Color which never fails to bring out color and nothing worked. I applied them with a brush, a sponge applicator, dry and wet. Applied wet they looked great for about three minutes before they dried to the same powdery shimmered nothingness. The texture was a bit gritty and piling it on just made it worse. All in a very disappointing product.

on 3/4/2004 7:17:00 PM

I received this in a swap and didn't touch it for the longest time because it looked too pretty. I finally tried it and hated it! Looked at it some more and tried it for a 2nd time. Still hated it! Finally after reading the reviews here, I found some great suggestions for how to wear it. Finally! I got the "ethereal" look everyone was talking about and now this baby is staying in my makeup drawer never to be swapped. I will, however, not be repurchasing because it's just too darned expensive.