Living Proof Satin Hair Serum

3.0

Isododecane, neopentyl glycol diheptanoate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, isoamyl laurate, diheptyl succinate, ethylene/propylene/styrene copolymer, octafluoropentyl methacrylate (OFPMA), PPG-3 benzyl ether ethylhexanoate, PEG/PPG/polybutylene glycol-8/5/3 glycerin, bis-ethyl (isostearylimidazoline) isostearamide, phytosteryl sunflowerseedate, hydrogenated vegetable glycerides, capryloyl glycerin/sebacic acid copolymer, dilinoleic acid/propanediol copolymer, butylene/ethylene/styrene copolymer, fragrance, citronellol, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, citral, limonene, coumarin, geraniol.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The ONLY thing I like about this serum is the consistency reminds me of a dry oil. Dry oils are awesome because they are SUPER light yet moisturize deeply.

But that's about it when it comes to the list of pros. I definitely would not recommend this serum. Living Proof Satin Hair Serum is over priced and over hyped. It is not unique to the rest of hair serums available. You could spend half the amount this costs at Sally Beauty Supply and walk out with a better product.

Needless to say, the ingredient list is really lacking. Isododecane is the first listed, thus this will dry your hair out over time. Since this is masked by a hydrating appearance, you most likely wouldn't realize until the damage has been done to your hair. There is absolutely nothing that stands out in the ingredient list that would convince me this is a quality product for hair. And it shows.

Obviously I won't be repurchasing.

I thought this was terrible. Just made my hair feel sticky and weighed down. I have thick, wavy-texture, color-treated hair that I heat-style regularly. I like to use a serum on my damp hair before I blow dry it for some added smoothness and manageability.

This product just made my hair feel gross and unruly. The stickiness made it hard to work with.

Total product fail. And it's expensive too. Won't buy it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I purchased this product after reading the reviews on Sephora.com. My hair is thick/coarse and I get the Keratin treatment every 3 months to smooth it out. I applied a tiny amt. of this product on my hand, rubbed them together and applied it to my hair from the bottom first working upwards. I then proceeded to blowdry my hair as usual. My hair looked the same as usual, maybe a little smoother, and I was happy with the product. Then.....the next day.... My hair was soooo greasy and gross. I had to wash it immediately after I woke up. I might consider giving it a second chance, but I used such a tiny bit the first time. I think I am going to return it. Too bad.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Absolutely hated this line. I have dark brown, highlighted hair that's mid-way down my back. I blowdry every 2-3 days and occasionally use a flat iron. I try to use sulfate- and silicone-free products to preserve my color and protect my hair, and had heard great things about the LP line.

I tried the Restore Shampoo and Conditioner, No Frizz Styling Creme and Weightless Spray, and Satin serum. I could tell that the shampoo and conditioner were drying out my hair while I was still in the shower -- I couldn't run my fingers through my hair at all. I used the three styling products when I got out of the shower, and started to blow dry. My hair felt like straw, and when I tried to add a little more of the Satin serum, it just felt like sticky straw. My ends looked completely fried and the cuticle just looks frizzy and not smooth at all.

I tried the shampoo, conditioner, and products 3 more times since I first purchased and tried them 2 weeks ago, and finally returned everything to Sephora today. In 2 weeks, I have not worn my hair down once because of how poofy and dry it looks. Not recommended!

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Awful! This made my hair look greasy and did nothing for my frizz! I would never recommend this to anyone. Save yourself the trouble and don't get this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is probably the worst product I have ever put in my hair. I have fine hair, so shine serums aren't typically my thing, but this was a free sample, and I figured it would smooth out my dry ends. I applied it to my ends after towel drying, then blow-dried with a round brush. My hair still looks wet. It seriously looks like I accidentally put butter in my hair or something. I have no choice but to pull it up in a bun. Yuck!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Received this as a sample from Sephora and really liked it. But I'm disappointed with the full size version I purchased a few weeks ago. The bottle is glass, which has its benefits and problems, but the packaging is awful. The bottle tipped over in my drawer the day I bought it and more than half of it leaked out, making a mess of everything (not to mention this is a pricey product and so much of it was wasted). It also tends to build up on my hair over time and doesn't make it feel particularly smooth, just oily, even when I use a tiny amount. It smells great though and I hope it works better for others!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I was excited to try this because it has no oils or silicones. I got a sample from Sephora, and followed directions exactly. After drying my hair I was surprised to see that the sides near my face looked so oily that I had to shampoo it out. It did hold style nicely, but I don't like the oily look. I notice that it's flammable too.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this serum after using PHD shampoo and conditioner and then the Prime Style Extender from roots to ends on clean, damp hair. I used two pumps of serum, concentrating mainly on the last two or three inches of my hair, where it tends to get fuzzy when I blow dry. I then used the new product Blowout, spraying it liberally all over and then combed everything through really well. I then blew dry on high heat and high speed until my hair was about 80% dry. Then I sectioned off the crown and sides and proceeded to use a medium round brush on the back using medium heat and medium speed. I noticed immediately that my hair was drying quite a bit faster than usual but the dryer is new (Babyliss Nano Titanium 2000 watt) and quite a bit hotter than my old one, but supposedly both the serum and Blowout are supposed to speed up drying time and so far so good. However, my hair wasn't coming out very smooth. I even hit it with the cool shot button to set the curl but it still was rather frizzy. I then did the same thing with both sides and then started on the crown, which I divided into three sections since it's the thickest part of my hair. After doing my entire head, the roots had volume but the ends were not smooth at all, despite the fact that I used the serum and I do think I was rather generous with it. I read other reviews that talked about how greasy it could be so I was really afraid to overdo it. My hair is medium both in texture and in thickness so maybe it could have used more. But it was like I hadn't used anything and Blowout certainly didn't make a difference at all. I get better results when I use the LP No Frizz styling spray by itself. Truthfully, I rarely blow dry for two reasons. It's time consuming and I hate getting all sweaty. I did get the new dryer for Christmas and this time it dried so unbelievably fast that I didn't break a sweat at all, I just wish my hair looked better. I usually air dry overnight and use a curling iron in the morning to create loose waves for a beachy look and I have to say I think it looks quite good. I get compliments all the time. I consider this experiment a fail. The serum is going back to Sephora as is Blowout. I'm a huge fan of the No Frizz styling spray which is my usual product and a HG for me, I've been using it for years. I also love the primer and PHD s/c but the serum and Blowout are fails for me. I guess you can't win them all. Save your money.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

There's nothing special about this product. It did what any other serum would do. It didn't work any magic on my hair. The only plus side is that it smells really good, but that's about it. I would not repurchase.