Living Proof Satin Hair Serum

3.0

Isododecane, neopentyl glycol diheptanoate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, isoamyl laurate, diheptyl succinate, ethylene/propylene/styrene copolymer, octafluoropentyl methacrylate (OFPMA), PPG-3 benzyl ether ethylhexanoate, PEG/PPG/polybutylene glycol-8/5/3 glycerin, bis-ethyl (isostearylimidazoline) isostearamide, phytosteryl sunflowerseedate, hydrogenated vegetable glycerides, capryloyl glycerin/sebacic acid copolymer, dilinoleic acid/propanediol copolymer, butylene/ethylene/styrene copolymer, fragrance, citronellol, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, citral, limonene, coumarin, geraniol.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So I bought this on a whim at Space NK as I had a money-off voucher. Then I read the terrible reviews on here & felt very apprehensive! But I can honestly say this is the best hair serum I have tried. My shoulder-length hair is thick and curly, I got sick of having to use so much oil to tame it. I apply two pumps of this serum when blow drying from mid-way down my hair to the very ends. My hair ends are now transformed and touchably soft, and my blowdry holds well. I would say this product is best used on wet hair. When I tried this on dry hair it made no difference. Personally, I do not notice any strong scent. I would happily buy again at full price.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this serum after using PHD shampoo and conditioner and then the Prime Style Extender from roots to ends on clean, damp hair. I used two pumps of serum, concentrating mainly on the last two or three inches of my hair, where it tends to get fuzzy when I blow dry. I then used the new product Blowout, spraying it liberally all over and then combed everything through really well. I then blew dry on high heat and high speed until my hair was about 80% dry. Then I sectioned off the crown and sides and proceeded to use a medium round brush on the back using medium heat and medium speed. I noticed immediately that my hair was drying quite a bit faster than usual but the dryer is new (Babyliss Nano Titanium 2000 watt) and quite a bit hotter than my old one, but supposedly both the serum and Blowout are supposed to speed up drying time and so far so good. However, my hair wasn't coming out very smooth. I even hit it with the cool shot button to set the curl but it still was rather frizzy. I then did the same thing with both sides and then started on the crown, which I divided into three sections since it's the thickest part of my hair. After doing my entire head, the roots had volume but the ends were not smooth at all, despite the fact that I used the serum and I do think I was rather generous with it. I read other reviews that talked about how greasy it could be so I was really afraid to overdo it. My hair is medium both in texture and in thickness so maybe it could have used more. But it was like I hadn't used anything and Blowout certainly didn't make a difference at all. I get better results when I use the LP No Frizz styling spray by itself. Truthfully, I rarely blow dry for two reasons. It's time consuming and I hate getting all sweaty. I did get the new dryer for Christmas and this time it dried so unbelievably fast that I didn't break a sweat at all, I just wish my hair looked better. I usually air dry overnight and use a curling iron in the morning to create loose waves for a beachy look and I have to say I think it looks quite good. I get compliments all the time. I consider this experiment a fail. The serum is going back to Sephora as is Blowout. I'm a huge fan of the No Frizz styling spray which is my usual product and a HG for me, I've been using it for years. I also love the primer and PHD s/c but the serum and Blowout are fails for me. I guess you can't win them all. Save your money.

To Read all 28 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used this as I normally do with serums and oils and other hair smoothers - as a frizz smoother towards the end of my blowdry. It worked about average, but I can find something cheaper that does the same thing for my hair for sure. Be sure not to use more than one or two drops for your entire head or your hair WILL get super greasy.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

There's nothing special about this product. It did what any other serum would do. It didn't work any magic on my hair. The only plus side is that it smells really good, but that's about it. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The ONLY thing I like about this serum is the consistency reminds me of a dry oil. Dry oils are awesome because they are SUPER light yet moisturize deeply.

But that's about it when it comes to the list of pros. I definitely would not recommend this serum. Living Proof Satin Hair Serum is over priced and over hyped. It is not unique to the rest of hair serums available. You could spend half the amount this costs at Sally Beauty Supply and walk out with a better product.

Needless to say, the ingredient list is really lacking. Isododecane is the first listed, thus this will dry your hair out over time. Since this is masked by a hydrating appearance, you most likely wouldn't realize until the damage has been done to your hair. There is absolutely nothing that stands out in the ingredient list that would convince me this is a quality product for hair. And it shows.

Obviously I won't be repurchasing.

This product didn't do anything for me. I cannot I like it or don't like it. I just didn't see a difference with it on my hair. I love the Living Proof brand, but cannot determine why I need this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using a sample-sized pump bottle for a few weeks. I have fine, curly hair that I straighten every day because otherwise, it gets frizzy around my face. I've tried a handful of drug store frizz/smoothing/straightening serums/creams (e.g. John Frieda, Fekkai, etc.) but this one works so much better. It makes my hair shiny and smooth after blow drying. I typically use this on the weekend when I don't take the time to straighten my hair and despite the outrageous price, I am thinking of getting the full-size. A little goes a LONG way--for my shoulder-length hair, a dime-sized amount does the trick and anything more than that makes it look greasy--so I know it will last me forever if I decide to splurge. It has a terrible citronella smell like mosquito repellant but I don't notice the scent after my hair dries.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I received a 5ml sample of this from Sephora and would not purchase the full size. Overall, I'm unimpressed by the Living Proof line and believe it's made for a certain hair type only. If you have fair, caucasian hair (like the creator, Jennifer Aniston) then you may like this product and others in the line. But if your hair deviates from that type at all then probably look elsewhere.
This serum really did nothing except irritate me with it's strong overpowering scent that would never dissipate. I had to use a ton of the product to get any minimal result, and that's what I find with most of the styling products in the line. I combined this with a huge blob of prime style extender and then would have to add more of the serum every day as I styled etc. Which is typical for dry, coarse hair, you can add oil or a serum daily and never get greasy ;) But the smell bothered me the most, in addition to the sub-par performance.
The shining star in this line is the Amp, I love that stuff :)

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got a generous sample with my Sephora order and I like that it isn't greasy feeling at all and really helps take care of the unruly frizz I have. The recent weather of rain and wind had taken a toll on my normally behaving hair and I like to just put my hair in a low pony tail or bun to protect it from the elements. This fits the bill for being one of those products you can just leave in and go. Some areas I missed so I have to be careful with application as results were uneven ( some fuzzy areas, some frizz free). It has a nice and light scent and it provides great shine. I tried it on damp hair but will have to test it out on dry hair to see if it performs better. So far I like it. I need about three drops for my whole head. I'm thinking I should try the other products in the line as others suggested. This is my first time trying anything from Living Proof.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am a Living Proof fan and this product is no exception. I love the PHD 5 in 1 styling cream for when I straighten my thick, wavy hair. But I don't like it when I wear my hair natural. It left my waves really flat. I wanted something to combat frizz and humidity when I wore my hair wavy, and this works beautifully! It doesn't get rid of my frizz 100% but it definitely improves it. I just put a few pumps in and style as normal with my curly hair products, and I get a much better result. I also feel the more I use it, the better it works. Definitely buying this again.

Popular Hair Treatments