Living Proof Satin Hair Serum

3.0

Isododecane, neopentyl glycol diheptanoate, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, isoamyl laurate, diheptyl succinate, ethylene/propylene/styrene copolymer, octafluoropentyl methacrylate (OFPMA), PPG-3 benzyl ether ethylhexanoate, PEG/PPG/polybutylene glycol-8/5/3 glycerin, bis-ethyl (isostearylimidazoline) isostearamide, phytosteryl sunflowerseedate, hydrogenated vegetable glycerides, capryloyl glycerin/sebacic acid copolymer, dilinoleic acid/propanediol copolymer, butylene/ethylene/styrene copolymer, fragrance, citronellol, linalool, butylphenyl methylpropional, citral, limonene, coumarin, geraniol.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

For reference: I have dry brown hair with oily roots. Bleached my hair years ago for about 1-1 1/2 years. I didn't cut my hair for 2 years to grow it. So I need good haircare products which will moisturize my hair for days before washing. This one smells good (Yeah, some might not like it but everyone's different right?). The consistency is like a liquid gel and I can work with that like a charm. It has no silicones which is always a plus for me since silicones won't moisturize my hair and natural oils are being sucked so they won't stay much longer. Their special ingredient is doing good things for my hair. It combines the silky feeling of silicone and the moisture of the natural oils. It would be my HG but I still need THE perfect serum for my dry hair lengths because it doesn't stay for long on my hair. It turns dry after some hours again. Well, maybe it's really time to cut those dry ends and get the best out of it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am currently trying sample size of living proof products and got a small size of this in a kit.

Even though this product isn't for me I would say that it pretty much does what it claims to do (add softeness, shine and reducing frizz). However there are far better products from living proof (and some traditional silicone products) that does the same and are more adapted to my hair. I also used this after living proof shampoo and conditioner and didn't put any silicone or oil in my hair to give it a fair trial.

The problems with this serum is that it's quite hard to dose because of the thick texture and it can make my straight hair look a bit piecey. The thick sticky texture makes it hard to spread through my hair. I have to put my head upside down and spread the serum between my palms and "sandwich" sections of my hair between my hands to actually spread the product on my hair and not keep it on my hands.To me the serum reminds me and acts like very fancy perfumy glycerin. This product does not feel like an improvement over traditional oils like jojoba or coconut or traditional silicone based serums.

So far from what I tested from living proof this is one of the only product that I wouldn't recommend to someone. The real stars of the living proof line are they different lines of styling creams and their texture products that I will review later after proper testing.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

So I bought this on a whim at Space NK as I had a money-off voucher. Then I read the terrible reviews on here & felt very apprehensive! But I can honestly say this is the best hair serum I have tried. My shoulder-length hair is thick and curly, I got sick of having to use so much oil to tame it. I apply two pumps of this serum when blow drying from mid-way down my hair to the very ends. My hair ends are now transformed and touchably soft, and my blowdry holds well. I would say this product is best used on wet hair. When I tried this on dry hair it made no difference. Personally, I do not notice any strong scent. I would happily buy again at full price.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this serum after using PHD shampoo and conditioner and then the Prime Style Extender from roots to ends on clean, damp hair. I used two pumps of serum, concentrating mainly on the last two or three inches of my hair, where it tends to get fuzzy when I blow dry. I then used the new product Blowout, spraying it liberally all over and then combed everything through really well. I then blew dry on high heat and high speed until my hair was about 80% dry. Then I sectioned off the crown and sides and proceeded to use a medium round brush on the back using medium heat and medium speed. I noticed immediately that my hair was drying quite a bit faster than usual but the dryer is new (Babyliss Nano Titanium 2000 watt) and quite a bit hotter than my old one, but supposedly both the serum and Blowout are supposed to speed up drying time and so far so good. However, my hair wasn't coming out very smooth. I even hit it with the cool shot button to set the curl but it still was rather frizzy. I then did the same thing with both sides and then started on the crown, which I divided into three sections since it's the thickest part of my hair. After doing my entire head, the roots had volume but the ends were not smooth at all, despite the fact that I used the serum and I do think I was rather generous with it. I read other reviews that talked about how greasy it could be so I was really afraid to overdo it. My hair is medium both in texture and in thickness so maybe it could have used more. But it was like I hadn't used anything and Blowout certainly didn't make a difference at all. I get better results when I use the LP No Frizz styling spray by itself. Truthfully, I rarely blow dry for two reasons. It's time consuming and I hate getting all sweaty. I did get the new dryer for Christmas and this time it dried so unbelievably fast that I didn't break a sweat at all, I just wish my hair looked better. I usually air dry overnight and use a curling iron in the morning to create loose waves for a beachy look and I have to say I think it looks quite good. I get compliments all the time. I consider this experiment a fail. The serum is going back to Sephora as is Blowout. I'm a huge fan of the No Frizz styling spray which is my usual product and a HG for me, I've been using it for years. I also love the primer and PHD s/c but the serum and Blowout are fails for me. I guess you can't win them all. Save your money.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I used this as I normally do with serums and oils and other hair smoothers - as a frizz smoother towards the end of my blowdry. It worked about average, but I can find something cheaper that does the same thing for my hair for sure. Be sure not to use more than one or two drops for your entire head or your hair WILL get super greasy.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

There's nothing special about this product. It did what any other serum would do. It didn't work any magic on my hair. The only plus side is that it smells really good, but that's about it. I would not repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The ONLY thing I like about this serum is the consistency reminds me of a dry oil. Dry oils are awesome because they are SUPER light yet moisturize deeply.

But that's about it when it comes to the list of pros. I definitely would not recommend this serum. Living Proof Satin Hair Serum is over priced and over hyped. It is not unique to the rest of hair serums available. You could spend half the amount this costs at Sally Beauty Supply and walk out with a better product.

Needless to say, the ingredient list is really lacking. Isododecane is the first listed, thus this will dry your hair out over time. Since this is masked by a hydrating appearance, you most likely wouldn't realize until the damage has been done to your hair. There is absolutely nothing that stands out in the ingredient list that would convince me this is a quality product for hair. And it shows.

Obviously I won't be repurchasing.

This product didn't do anything for me. I cannot I like it or don't like it. I just didn't see a difference with it on my hair. I love the Living Proof brand, but cannot determine why I need this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've been using a sample-sized pump bottle for a few weeks. I have fine, curly hair that I straighten every day because otherwise, it gets frizzy around my face. I've tried a handful of drug store frizz/smoothing/straightening serums/creams (e.g. John Frieda, Fekkai, etc.) but this one works so much better. It makes my hair shiny and smooth after blow drying. I typically use this on the weekend when I don't take the time to straighten my hair and despite the outrageous price, I am thinking of getting the full-size. A little goes a LONG way--for my shoulder-length hair, a dime-sized amount does the trick and anything more than that makes it look greasy--so I know it will last me forever if I decide to splurge. It has a terrible citronella smell like mosquito repellant but I don't notice the scent after my hair dries.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I received a 5ml sample of this from Sephora and would not purchase the full size. Overall, I'm unimpressed by the Living Proof line and believe it's made for a certain hair type only. If you have fair, caucasian hair (like the creator, Jennifer Aniston) then you may like this product and others in the line. But if your hair deviates from that type at all then probably look elsewhere.
This serum really did nothing except irritate me with it's strong overpowering scent that would never dissipate. I had to use a ton of the product to get any minimal result, and that's what I find with most of the styling products in the line. I combined this with a huge blob of prime style extender and then would have to add more of the serum every day as I styled etc. Which is typical for dry, coarse hair, you can add oil or a serum daily and never get greasy ;) But the smell bothered me the most, in addition to the sub-par performance.
The shining star in this line is the Amp, I love that stuff :)