Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Powder Foundation

Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Powder Foundation

3.9

Mica, Quartz, Ruby Powder, Tourmaline, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Smithsonite Extract, Sea Salt/Maris Sal/Sel Marin, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, BHT, Kaolin. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (CI 77289), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510).

I have several powder foundations and liquid foundations, and this one got pushed to the back for several months. I’m trying to use everything up so put it on this morning. Well, I am re-sold on this powder now because I was just at a store and a woman came up to me and told me my complexion looked beautiful and that it was so smooth and clear. I was shocked because I’m struggling with hyperpigmentation on my cheeks and nose area. I was not feeling good about my skin that day but I guess this powder foundation did the trick! I will continue to use it!

on 9/14/2018 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was hesitant to buy this foundation because I'm a dry skin girl. However, after using it for a little over a week, I am in love! I apply my serum, moisturizer, primer, and then put the powder foundation on. The coverage is a solid medium, and you could probably build it up to full coverage if you use more powder. It gives a very porcelain finish once applied, in a natural way. The finish wears very well for a powder. By the end of a full twelve hour day there is some breaking apart and shine, but that's impressive for a powder foundation.

I've previously used Bare Minerals, and there's no comparison. This gives you the same healthy glow, but it's less drying and fuller coverage. I use a standard kabuki brush, but am considering buying the brush it comes with. The standard kabuki brush is a bit too big, so it's difficult to get the product out sometimes. The mesh design is great though. It prevents powder flying everywhere.

The price is on the higher side, but it goes on sale at Sephora (and probably Ulta too). Currently this is my go to foundation for everyday wear. I've heard it looks great layered on top of liquid foundation as well, but I've yet to try that.

5 stars on product performance, 5 stars on packaging, 3 stars on price because it's not the cheapest, but aside from that I have no cons with this product.

on 8/6/2018 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this half off at Ulta a few months ago, I'm really liking it! I wear powder foundation 95% of the time, and must have at least 12 in rotation currently, so I know what works for my combo skin in regards to powder. I like applying an initial layer all over with a fluffy brush, then using a kabuki or buffing brush to go over areas I want more coverage, using a buffing/pressing type of motion. This powder lasts pretty well most of the day with a good setting spray like All Nighter, or Cover FX. I have been reaching for it quite a bit this summer, and would definitely repurchase.

on 6/25/2018 10:24:00 AM

This is really working out for me right now. I used this years ago and remembered liking it. Ulta just had it for $25 plus a 20% off coupon, so it was a no brainer spur of the moment buy. (Normally it's $36)

I'm always trying out powder foundations—if you're as into them as I am, you know that finding a good one is a special kind of challenge. But the whole appeal of a powder foundation is speed & ease, and so many just do not offer that. You have to buff like Daniel-san, prep-prime-spray, set with something else or else they'll settle into any recess you have in your skin (a pore, a line, a trace of existential dread). Or they leave your skin flat & lightless. Or wear off within 15 min. Or, and this happens more often than not, counterintuitively leave your face an oil slick one hour into the day.

Anyway, this one is worthy. I can achieve a solid medium coverage with it alone, and obviously there's even more coverage if I layer something underneath. I can also play with the coverage depending on the brush I use, as well as the finish and longevity depending on whatever prep/set methods I go for. Application is QUICK and easy, and finish is satiny but not mica-sparkle-ball "glowy" (or a flat matte, it's not chalky at ALL). It also has lasting power on its own! And decent oil control! And I have oily skin (and it's June). The one thing I'd recommend is to make sure your skin is properly moisturized. I haven't noticed it clinging to dry spots, but I'll report back come winter. I just love the way mineral powders fuse with your skin when you use an oil underneath. Bronzer/contour/blush/highlighter all look AMAZING on top of it. Honestly, this foundation's best qualities are ease of application, finish, and lasting power.

No breakouts, no other bad effects on skin. Neutral light-medium is a great match for me, which is weird because I am olive skinned and getting tanner by the minute (no matter how hard I try not to). So I think the shades run dark. Also, I am not 100% satisfied with any of my brushes with this foundation, so I need to shop around.

Cons: it's expensive when not on sale, shade range is limited-ish, and I don't really like the mesh thingy covering the powder. I just find myself haphazardly stabbing at it with my brush until I get some powder out. Very imprecise. Possibly my fault. It's not a deal-breaker though.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

My favorite foundation at the moment. I am forty, and have combination skin with large pores. This foundation can work with all of those issues and still look great. It doesn't get cakey in the oily areas of my face, nor does it accentuate the dry patches or fine lines. The packaging is genius, too! I always make a mess with powders, but this one works well for me. Maybe a bit of a splurge, depending on your budget, but for me it has been worth it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product. I have super oily skin and cant justify using my high end foundations for every day wear, just for going to work. Everything else I tried just would not stay and someone recommended trying a powder foundation...I’m hooked! This is a great option for people with blemish prone skin as well, as it’s not as heavy and allows your skin to “breathe”. I noticed my skin cleared up a lot and I don’t get as much end of the day Whitehead’s because of this. First, it takes me significantly less time to get ready in the morning. I use the shape tape concealer underneath my eye bags and any blemishes I have. Then I use a translucent powder to set and add this on top. I use the elf brush that I can’t remember the name of but it’s dense and shaped like a triangle...it’s a face brush. Using circular motions I go all over my face and I get a pretty great level of coverage. If there are spots I need more of I go over again, but this does a pretty good job. Use a good mattifying primer and a setting spray (I use NYX matte) and this will last a good 10+ hours. I’m taking off points for shade range, I use “Fair Neutral” and it’s a bit orange. I don’t know what the term is for “reverse oxidizing” but I’ve noticed throughout the day it evens out, but I still have a bit of a “glow” which I like. I’m not used to going this dark and I HATE having a different color neck than I do chin but I get complimented on how “glowy” I look with this. Still, their shade range is measly and I’d like a more seamless look. The packaging is meant to prevent powder from spilling and as I travel often I seriously appreciate this. I use my brush to push down and I get enough to cover one section- I do forehead, each cheek, nose and chin are one push, but I usually add more around my nose cause a) oily and b) I’m a glasses wearer and it fades a bit there. Not anything terrible and actually one of the least noticeable fades from glasses I’ve tried with a foundation. Lastly, I bought the Bare Minerals matte foundation on Black Friday just to try, as that is the one that this foundation is always compared to. While the shade range is much better, the price for the amount is better and the brand is recommended by dermatologists as being one of the best for skin, regardless of the primers I’ve tried it just doesn’t have the lasting power like tarte’s. Great for setting my liquid foundation for my fancy going out nights, but those nights also have 47 more steps with spritz’s of setting sprays between layers and lots of primer...y’all know what I mean. Thanks to this foundation I get to sleep in, the coverage is great, not a heck of a lot of fade from my glasses, and I’m not washing brushes as much. Also, my skin is looking better so I need less and less coverage. Just wish it was cheaper and had more of a shade range.

Love this! I have oily skin and it definitely mattifies it. Buildable coverage and love the packaging.

on 10/2/2017 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I first purchased this a couple of years ago. I have very oily skin and can sweat a lot. It blurs imperfections and gives me good enough coverage that I can tell I have something on but nobody else can. I love the mess free packaging, I simply push my brush into the mesh and buff it onto my skin. Easy to wash off at the end of the day and my skin doesn't have any weird reactions to it. I'm on my second jar of it...first one lasted forever.

on 9/1/2017 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This powder was my go to when I didn't want to apply foundation. I applied this powder with the Makeup Forever 110 Kabuki brush, patted it into the skin and would apply my blush, conture and highlight over top and it gave such a nice natural finish to the skin. Is it full coverage, not at all. If you are looking for a full coverage powder this isn't the powder for that.

on 8/14/2017 3:21:00 AM

This definitely doesn't give full coverage, even when built upon with many layers. The liquid foundation has better coverage. That said, it's a pretty good loose powder. It didn't break me out or clog my pores but my face do get really oily eventually, which doesn't happen with the liquid foundation. I bought the kabuki brush with this and I love the brush more than the powder itself! Will repurchase if I can't find another good loose powder!