Peter Thomas Roth Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Peeling Gel

Peter Thomas Roth Peter Thomas Roth FirmX Peeling Gel

4.1

Water, Polyethylene Glycol, Cellulose, Butylene Glycol, Sorbitol, R-Bacillus Licheniformis Keratinase, Calcium Alginate, Lactobacillus/ Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Lactobacillus Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Ferment Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Isopropyl Myristate, Mica, Phenoxyethanol.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Note: I am a sucker for all things Peter Thomas Roth. I have nearly every product he makes. I'm not sure this product works since I don't use it regularly, but maybe it does since it kind of balls off, so my skin is getting some exfoliating at the worst. Other MUA reviewers think this peeling gel is gimmicky. That might be true.

on 2/28/2017 9:05:00 PM

I'll admit it: I bought into the novelty of this item. And? My skin is the better for it!

Lately I've been getting small bumps along the jaw line and one GIANT cyst on my cheek. Not pretty. I had heard of this peel somewhere, can't recall where, and decided to give it a shot about four weeks ago.

Applied to dry skin this stuff feels like cetaphil mixed with something gritty, nothing sharp or anything, and spreads pretty easy across the face. After 1 treatment I was hooked. After 8? Hopelessly devoted.

It has no smell that I can really detect which is great. I personally prefer doing a very thorough facial message with this product- really work it in and boost circulation as well- and it kind of dissipates or rather rolls into a thousand tiny balls the more you rub. Besides the tiny flesh trapping balls it never feels like I have to wash anything off my face, which is great, but my skin is always more luminous after using this stuff.

I was originally using it every other day but, as I'm also using Stridex, it was really drying me out! So after one day of angry red skin I decided to make this a Sunday, Wednesday treat for myself.

This product is pretty awesome and for me it's a 10/10!!!!

on 2/16/2017 10:55:00 AM

I must admit I was skeptical about this product. I read a lot of reviews, then when I was in Sephora waiting for my daughter to check out, I saw the tube and used it on my hand, and immediately saw a difference. I bought a tube, used it, and OMG this does work. So I had washed my face well, applied this, let it set for a bit, then rubbed if off with the circular motions over my sink. It did remove dead skin! This is not a scam product. The bits rubbed off had color, the tint of skin. I highly recommend this product, will not be without it. I did a moisturizing mask afterwards since by since was so fresh and receptive. This is just so awesome and does not scratch the heck out of your face and it not drying at all. Other reviewers have used it on their hands and feet, but I'm not going to waste it on them! Pricey but worth it!

I am on my third bottle of PTR peeling gel. I have to say, I can't do without it! It is an amazing product. I use this every morning and my skin appears firmer, younger and much smoother.

The product comes in a fairly large squeeze tube, and is priced at $60 cad at Sephora. It is a gel substance, which I massage onto the dry skin of my neck and face, and then wash off with a moist facecloth. I am 48 years old, and my skin looks better than it did in my 30s!

No acne breakouts, but unfortunately not much change in the way of pores. I have oily combination skin for reference.

The balls of skin that come off are a little gross, but it's well worth it! I would recommend this product wholeheartedly. BTW: ELF has a very similar gentle peeling cream that works as well, but it's only $10. If you don't want to spring for the pricier PTR product, I would try that first, and see how it makes your skin feel!

on 11/30/2016 8:37:00 PM

A gimmick? Maybe. Skincaretainment? Heck yeah. I love seeing those little nasties balling up right beneath my fingers. And it's even more entertaining rubbing them until they're so dry they just fall right off my face on their own. Welcome to the world where it's possible that dead skin cells rain off my face.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure how this product works at all. I tried it out by covering my hand with plastic and then rubbing it between my plastic-covered fingers. It didn't ball up as quickly, if it even balled up at all. The plastic wrap was getting too wrinkly to tell so I just gave up and lost interest.

But you can already tell upon the first use that the gel is not all pure gel, it has little specks in it, which could be whatever is balling up. My very unscientific and untrustworthy theory is that your skin absorbs the moisture from the gel and leaves behind the little white specks to cohere together, which forms a skin-like solid to physically exfoliate your face by adhering to your loose skin cells and letting them join in on the good ol' clumping party. BAM! Slight moisturizing and exfoliating in one! That would explain the smoothness I experience afterwards.

Whatever it is, I don't think it does absolutely nothing, judging on how smooth my skin is afterwards, and how effectively it pulled off my flaking skin cells that had lost their personal battles against the winter cold and tea tree oil. But I don't think it magically peels off a layer of skin too.

I wouldn't buy it again because it is ridiculously expensive, but I also don't feel guilty about buying it in the first place. After a long day, sometimes you just gotta sit down with your friendly neighborhood Peter gel and pamper yourself with a nice face massage. On that note though, I don't think even importing the famous Cure Aqua Gel (which probably inspired this entire peeling-skin-gel thing to take off) would be more expensive than this. e.l.f. just came out with a peeling gel at the beautiful price tag of $10, so I would suggest you give that a whirl before trying this one.

I would not suggest this for sensitive skin or people who are already exfoliating lots in their week.

on 11/29/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I purchased this product hoping it would remove my dry flaking skin from Retinol use.
I found it easy to use, and my skin did feel immediately smooth afterwards;, however, a couple of days later my skin feels like it has had a chemical burn. Especially around my chin area, (like orange peel texture.) I then have to use lots of heavy duty moisturisers to fix my damaged skin.
This has happened every time i have used this product, so i will not use again.
I do not believe it is dead skin rolling around, as some reviewers have stated, as lots of this gimmicky products are on the market.
As reference, i have normal to dry skin, and my skin can handle some pretty harsh products, just not this one.
i now use it on my legs before exfoliating, and i have found a product that really does exfoliate my flaky patches Dermalogica's daily microfoliant.

on 10/9/2016 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

PTR FirmX Peeling Gel is a gommage-type exfoliant, so it is a super gentle, physical and chemical exfoliant. I have sensitive, extremely dry, and dehydrated skin. This means it's crucial for me to exfoliate at least 3 times a week to remove the dry, flaky skin, but I have to be careful not to over exfoliate, since my sensitive skin can easily become irritated. Gommage-type exfoliants can be a godsend - or a big disappointment.

The PTR FirmX Peeling Gel is, without a doubt, the best gommage-type mask I have ever used. PTR claims it "effectively peels and helps uncover a smooth, fresh, new complexion without drying, irritating, or causing undue stress to skin". I completely agree with these claims. My skin looks radiant and smooth, and I find my serum & moisturizer absorb better, and my makeup goes on and looks better after using this peeling gel. It has never irritated my sensitive skin or caused any breakouts. It would be suitable for all skin types. My only complaint is the $60CDN price tag for the 100ml tube. A less expensive alternative is the Boscia Peeling Gel at $42CDN for the 150ml bottle. I don't find it's as effective as PTR FirmX, but it's a decent second choice at about half the price. I have repurchased the PTR FirmX Peeling Gel twice, regardless of the price because it's THAT good.

The sales lady at Sephora demonstrated this product on my hand. I saw right before me how quickly this natural product dissolved dead skin cells. I mentioned to her that I am getting away from chemicals, so she highly recommended this product.
Since I have tried it on my scaly heals too to find it really works to remove the dead build up revealing new skin. I do think this is a bit pricey.
For years I have used Apricot scrub once a week to remove the dead skin but it obviously was not working like I thought it was. Oh, and there is no sting to your face when left on 3-5 minutes!

on 6/28/2016 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I have incredibly dry skin, and this winter has been one of my worst. Touching my forehead was like running your fingers against the direction of fish scales - yuck!
I knew I needed to exfoliate the dead surface skin, prior to using nourishing, moisturising products to bring my dehydrated skin back to life.
I bought this product because I prefer enzyme action for exfoliation, rather than abrasive, and sometimes sharp edged, mechanical exfoliation. It comes out of the tube in a semi-transparent gel, that you rub over clean, dry, skin. It can be rinsed off straight away, or left on for 5 minutes for a deeper exfoliation.
I left it on for the 5 minutes, and when I rinsed it off I could feel the difference, straight away! For my newly resurfaced skin, I gently applied Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase followed by Farm Stay Escargot Noblesse Intensive Cream. My skin is now soft, smooth and supple.
I wouldn't recommend using this product more than 2 - 3 times / week.

Wooooooa. Bad reviews are surprisingly baised on beautypedia, paula's choice, etc. I get the scientific facts presented on this product main ingredients -the enzymes and bacilli or whatever and the bird feather studies.... but I also believe eggbombs for hair work even though experts say the molecules are too big to peneterate the hair shaft, and other stuff science supposedly "debunked."
Well I suffer from dry flakey skin around my nose from hay fever and dry skin from constantly wiping and blowing my nose also scratching around my nose and cheeks. Which really sucks when trying to wear any makeup on my face because it just cakes and won't adhere right.
I bought this because Nicole Guerrero suggests it in her vlogs and totally love it for the exact reasons she said...flakey dead dull skin...it honestly works. I bought this after I got a facial and used it three days later because didn't want to traumatized or stress the skin after paying for a great invasive facial.. which is the rule... supposedly wait 72 hours before exfoliating again...and WOA...
I barely got ANY skin rolling which would be EXPECTED because I just had all my dead skin removed during the facial. BUT I used it the day I bought it on my boyfriend and his way effing disgusting so much skin rolled off and I used less product for him that I did later personally and he hadn't had a facial in like three years.
It's honestly is the best for getting the dry skin off my face and prepping for makeup. So no I don't think it's a gimmick the results are real for me I see it coming off (flakes, dead skin) and reveals new shiney bright skin. I got over taxed in my country and paid over 80 usd for it but overall happy I got it and wonder why so many review blogs dis it, when I have read alot of good reviews from actual people who actual bought it and used it instead of other people pulling up random studies about the ingredients and making baised reviews on information and studies not necessarily directed towards the actual company ingredients or product/results but a dramatic off inflated scientific thesis of the "key ingredient" they got from Wikipedia or the Internet.
Genuine great product that does what it claims,and I get great dramatic results of bright fresh dewy skin, that's soft and exfoliated....great for using right before masques,cream, and serums. My favorite is before applying makeup for flawless applications. Just a great beauty invention. Exfoliation and plumping bright complexion on both me and my bae after one use. I have freckles and after they were brighter and clearer further proof it actually peels away old dead skin. I'm sure with continuous use it would reduce fine lines and uneven skin tones or even mild skin problems like acne and pigmentation. I'm only a couple uses in but overwell happy and amazed. Will update and recommend for now.

Update
Have sensitive skin and can't over do it with exfoliations but it is so gentle and doesn't sting even using after a slight sunburn on my cheeks and nose which started peeling off.... which of course came off in big clumps and just left me with soft plump and Hydrated skin. Still red though. But Thankful I didn't walk around all week with my face peeling like a snake. Seriously works not just cellulose in it or whatever haters claim the fake "skin peeling" result is....
Omg can't believe how soft this makes my face and how it gets rid off nasty flakes and white heads that are close to the surface....no need to pop whiteheads any more the literally peel off my chin where I get the most.