Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector

Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector

3.5

Water, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylene Glycol, Enantia Chlorantha Bark Extract, Oleanolic Acid.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I keep these around like people keep chapstick--one in my purse, one at home, and another randomly in some luggage.
So worth the money! As others have said, this keeps oil slicks at bay. If you are horribly oily (like I) with acne-prone, sensitive skin yet love to wear foundation then this is the product for you.

My application process goes like this:
After skincare squeeze out a Z shaped line into palm of one hand (it says pea-sized on the instructions but rules are meant to be broken)
Slightly rub palms together so product dispenses onto both hands, but not so much that it absorbs
With open palms, DAB onto entire face, focusing on oily spots, which means my whole face but especially my T-Zone
You will feel a tightening feeling, almost like the oil is being sucked from your face.
Repeat whenever necessary, and ESPECIALLY if makeup is already fully applied and oily skin is peeking through, the above technique will NOT disturb anything, it really is like pliable blotting paper.
Holy Grail, especially when used in conjunction with Hourglass's Immaculate Foundation for oily skin.
This stuff has withstood extremely humid weather, sweaty activity, and my overactive oil glands.

Note: Does not break me out, however the active ingredient in here is a clay (oil absorber) whose molecules are too large to be absorbed by skin so the more product you apply the more oil absorbency you may achieve but all of this is still sitting on your face at the end of the night...or day.

on 10/25/2017 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Did not work for me. I will preface that I have oily-dehydrated-combo acne prone skin which is very high maintenance and difficult to keep makeup from looking cakey because it's so flakey and dehydrated but oily at the same time, so much fun. Anyway, I bought a small size of this product when waiting on line at Sephora because the description "liquid blotting paper" caught my eye. Good marketing. Re-did my makeup in the car using this primer over Too Faced RX Hangover Primer, and then applied the rest of my makeup. Went to my 8 hour work shift and when I got home that night my face looked HORRIBLE. I was so embarrassed that I had been out in public looking like that! CAKEY does not even begin to describe what my skin looked like, it was cakey, flakey just a mess.

Yesterday I decided to give it one more shot. I prepped my skin by thoroughly exfoliating and moisturizing with a serum, my spf lotion, and the same Too Faced hydrating primer. Then I applied this warming a tiny amount in my fingers as suggested and lightly tapped it over my t-zone. Then I applied my MAC foundation (which has a satin, non-matte finish) and immediately, I could see that the areas where I had applied this were cakey and causing the foundation to apply unevenly. I hadn't even gotten to apply setting powder yet. Had to wipe everything off and start over again without this. Makeup application went on much better. The only time I could see this working would be if you were going out bare-faced without any foundation over it. To be fair, I have yet to find a shine control primer that doesn't leave my foundation looking cakey. I'd rather just blot throughout the day which is what I end up having to do anyway then deal with a cake-face.

on 6/27/2017 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This primer makes every foundation I have look disgusting. I have oily skin and I tried every single way to apply it, fingers, sponge, using the warming patting motion. It made EL Doublewear, Tarte Amazonian Clay, Colorstay, Matte and Poreless and Studiofix look utterly foul. Seperated, crumbly, and pardon my French, like s@&t. It might be good for oil control with no makeup but otherwise avoid like the plague unless you want to make your foundation look like shedding snakeskin.

on 8/3/2017 1:10:00 PM

I applied this over sunscreen and it did not go on smoothly and pilled a bit. I did not want to start over so I applied foundation over it.
After a lot of buffing, it looked okay but I would not want to do this on a regular basis. Next time I applied the primer before sunscreen and then used a tinted sunscreen over it. That looked a lot better than the sunscreen-primer-foundation combo but tinted sunscreen doesn't give me enough coverage. Sunscreens tend to be shiny and a mattifying primer that doesn't work over them is useless in my opinion. It also does not blur pores very well.

on 7/25/2017 1:03:00 AM

OMG - THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL FOR ALL-DAY OIL CONTROL.

I have never been so inspired to write a review. If you have seriously oily skin and your top priority is long-lasting oil control, this mattifier WORKS. It's the most effective product I've ever purchased because it actually DOES what you dare hope to DREAM.

My 'Before Becca' routine: Apply Hour Glass Veil Primer. Then Laura Mercier Secret Finish Mattifying Gel mixed with MAC Studio Fluid Fix foundation, applied in one layer. I mix mattifier with foundation because it reduces steps, decreases the amount of product used and thins out foundation to avoid the 'heavy coverage' look. LM was a decent mattifier, but I'd still get oily after a few hours. Next, I tried MAC Matte clear primer. It's an OK primer but doesn't do much for oil control.

I ordered a Becca sample and was blown away! Per instructions, you lightly pat on a small amount with fingers. Only use in oily areas. I use in the T-zone. After washing, I apply Algenist Regenerative Anti-aging Lotion (a very light moisturizer), then Becca. I let it set for a few minutes before applying foundation. This product adds time to my regimen, but it's worth it. I don't often use Hour Glass Veil Primer on top of Becca because it's mineral-based and can create a more dry, whitish look if not carefully and sparingly applied.

TIP FOR SMOOTHER LIQUID FOUNDATION APPLICATION: Try my trick of mixing together liquid foundation with a clear, silicone-based primer INSTEAD OF applying them separately. I put equal amounts of each in my palm and mix up with a broken-off Q-tip stick. This will make the foundation thinner and easier to apply. If you feel you're losing coverage, up the ratio of foundation to primer. Try this because Becca does make applying foundation more difficult. Foundation will dry more quickly and can look cakey. I definitely recommend a silicone primer over Becca, applied as its own layer, if you don't want to mix primer and foundation. Without the primer's silicone slipperiness, you'll need to get more adept at applying foundation quickly and evenly. But again, it's still WORTH IT.

I have very oily, red, sensitive, easily irritated acne-prone skin. I have used Becca every day for a week. This product has not caused any irritation or breakouts so far.

It's true, this doesn't really minimize pores, and if you have very large pores, it could emphasize them. Another good reason to use a silicone primer on top of Becca.

But I am beyond thrilled at the oil control. I have NEVER found a product that could keep my makeup matte all day. Around 7-8 hours, I now see a little shine, but nothing compared to the oil slick I used to be. I could use 4 blotting papers across my face and soak them, a few times a day. I don't need to blot anymore. Great for eye lids so your liner doesn't smudge. Absolutely incredible oil control. If anyone has found a product even remotely close, please let me know. This one is a giant quantum leap over everything I've ever used.

It's probably best for very oily skin. It can likely work for slightly oily, but be careful to apply only the tiniest, thinnest amount or it can make skin look over-dried and aged. Not recommended at all for dry to normal skin. Enjoy your heavy, creamy moisturizers, ladies! Finally, there's a miracle for us super-oily chicks!

Yes, it's expensive. But I didn't knock off stars, because if you need hard-core oil control, it's worth it. You will use less than regular primer, so it probably ends of costing less because a tube will last longer.

I suggest that they re-name this as a "mattifier." It is not really a primer because you can't simply swipe it over your face with a brush. It is a true mattifier because it provides the most outrageously effective oil control I've ever experienced.

If you have super oily skin and want industrial-strength oil control that gives you an all-day matte finish, please try it. I'm a skeptical buyer, but Becca has been a true game changer.

on 7/27/2017 11:11:00 PM

So much hype again for me on this product. I was expecting a but too much, I guess but this really only controlled oil for 1-2 horse max on me. I am very oily and find no pore filling or oil controlling primer ever lives up to claim. But this one had me hoping.

It is a great formula with no thick silicons. I apply by taking a pea size amount, rubbing between fingers and patting in high oil zones i.e. T-zone. This will mattify the area immediately but your pores will be magnified. I believe this works like a drying agent that sucks up any moisture or oil in an area and leave it dry, so there are no fillers. This control only extends a few hours because the product can only absorb so much.

Unfortunately for the price this isn't good enough for me, I don't think I can repurchase.

on 5/23/2017 1:38:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'll start off by saying that my face isn't super oily. I have combo skin with a little bit more oil in my T-zone, but on a normal day, I don't turn into an oil slick or anything. On my forehead between my eyebrows, it also does this weird thing where it somehow looks flaky and oily at the same time, so that's fun. My main mission with primer is to prolong foundation wear and keep it from separating, as it's next to impossible to keep foundation on my nose, upper lip and forehead for more than 5 or 6 hours.

I like to use a ton of different foundations for different coverages, finishes, and for certain times of year. With most primers, you have to match them to your foundation. Oil-based primers don't work well with water-based foundations and vice versa, and some formulas work better together than others, so I generally need to keep a few different primers on hand to match with whatever foundation I'm wearing. The first thing I like about this primer is that so far, it's worked the same with all foundations I've used with it so far, whether water or oil-based, so it's nice being able to have one product that works with everything.

It does a really good job of keeping my foundation on. I still get a teeny bit of wear on my nose, but nowhere close to looking like my foundation was completely gone like it normally does. On the rest of my face, it keeps everything in place with no sliding or separating, and I'm finding even my powders (blushes, bronzers and highlighters) are lasting longer than they normally do. It can emphasize dry skin, so if you have combo skin with dry patches, it would probably be better to spot-apply to more oily spots and use a different primer on the drier areas, but my skin is okay with it being applied all over. Since I wear glasses most of the time at work (contacts outside work), I also usually have problems with the bridge of my glasses or sunglasses rubbing foundation off my nose and face where the frame makes contact and this primer also eliminates that problem as well, which is great.

The price is a little spooky ($44 in Canada), but for the results, it's worth it. Apparently there's a couple cheaper dupes around, so I'll probably try to get my hands on those before I commit to re-purchasing, but I would buy this again.

One thing to note is you don't rub this on your face, as it'll ball up and fall off, especially if you've applied any skincare first. I squirt a bit of this into my hands, rub it gently between my fingers for a second ( to spread the product), then pat it all over my face. It dries down immediately, you just have to be cautious of not using too much, as it will dry down white in places where you've used too much.

on 5/21/2017 10:58:00 AM

I have very oily/acne prone skin and because I am only oily in my t-zone I only applied a tiny amount to this area before application of makeup. I tested this with and without setting spray and found for me it works best without setting spray. I do find you need to exfoliate well before hand otherwise this may ball up, and i just apply it directly to my skin from the tube and just massage it in instead of patting it in. Although it does claim to minimise pores, it did not do anything for me in that area. But the reason I am giving it 5 stars is simply because I purchased this for oil control and this is the only primer I have ever used that actually lived up to that claim and it hasn't caused any breakouts! I received this as a travel sample from sephora and I have just purchased the full sized tube!!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Finally i have found a product that prevents my skin from being super oily !! I can now endure a whole day without looking super shiny. However this product is tricky to use and it took me a long time to get the hang of it but once i did, it was totally worth it.

Tips for use :

1. Use a really good hydrating moisturizer, preferably one that leaves a little grease on your skin. This primer works best on well moisturized skin. This allows the primer to beautifully blend in with out drying out into white patches on your face. ( I use Kiehls Ultra Facial Moisturizer) or even face mists are useful for fixing dry patches

2. Pat into the skin, do not rub. his allows it to spread evenly.

3. Split the application into sections, may be time consuming but it allows for better application and finish. ( I first do each of my cheeks, then i do my nose, then chin and then forehead. After each section make sure to wipe the excess product off your fingers.

4. Wait at least 5 mins ( max 15 mins) before applying foundation, this allow the primer to settle and you get an easier application with foundation.

5. It is also great to use even if you don't wear foundation, but want to control your oily skin.

I simply apply concealer to the spots i want covered and pat this primer over the rest of my face. I find that my super oily skin stays matte for at least 6-8 hours

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I didn't love this at all. It seemed to work OK, I've used others that keep makeup on longer. It also is SO tacky feeling when you apply it.. feels like glue on your face.