OGX Hydrating Moroccan Argan Dry Body Oil

1 review

on 5/29/2013 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is the first Organix product I've ever bought. I've seen the line before and read reviews on their other products but nothing really jumped out to me as a "must try". While grocery shopping a few weeks ago, I spotted the Hydrating Moroccan Argan Dry Body Oil (which is evidently a new product) on the shelf and picked it up because I'm super lazy and hate putting lotion. For the past year or so, I've been using Neutrogena's Sesame Oil which I really love, but unfortunately I've only been able to find the regular scented version which I really, really don't like.

First, the good points. This oil is fairly moisturizing and has a decent smell. I'm not scent sensitive but I could see how someone who is might find the smell slightly overpowering. I wouldn't say the smell is yummy or anything one would want to douse themselves in. To me, this smells a little plastic-y (weird, I know) and slightly tropical in a fake they-totally-added-scent-to-this way. The scent is infinitely better than the old lady floral scent the Neutrogena folks use for their oil however. As for moisturizing, this does a fair job. Per the directions, this can be rinsed off after you apply it in the shower or you can smooth it on after your shower (while still damp) and pat dry for "extra moisturizing". I use the latter method and it does keep my dry skin somewhat in check. I still have to apply lotion to my elbows (dry city), hands and feet so it's not a catch all. Since this is a dry oil, you're not going to look like an oil slick even if you apply too much. It sinks it rather quickly so if you're looking for something that you can apply and not be forced to wait for it to soak in, this is your oil. I believe I paid around $7 for a 6.8 ounce bottle which is about as much as a good drugstore lotion so the price is alright. I also haven't had an adverse reaction to anything in this. No weird bouts of body acne or anything like that but since the skin on my body is basically bulletproof, I'm not the best gauge for sensitivity.

Now, the bad points. This isn't as moisturizing as Neutrogena's Sesame Oil or even plain old baby oil by a long shot. With Neutrogena, my skin is still soft the next day. With Organix, not so much. I think the main reason for that is this "Moroccan Argan Oil" is mainly compromised of good old fashioned mineral oil. My biggest problem with this oil, however, is the bottle. When I first picked this up in the store, the top popped off without me squeezing it. The top itself is one of those weird designs that is slightly slanted and just pops off instead of screwing on. To me, this is the worst design for a bottle of liquid let alone an oil that you're suppose to use in a wet environment. I figured I picked up a bum bottle so I chose one that was at the back of the shelf. After I got it home, I noticed that it was leaking in the bag. As soon as I took it out of the bag, the top popped off again. I managed to keep the top on for a while and used it with relatively few problems (the top popped off twice when I used it but I caught it both times) but earlier this evening, I accidentally knocked the bottle over and about half the oil poured down the drain. Perhaps the store I went to got a defective batch but if goofy, pop off tops are the norm, I'll use something else.

I'm still undecided if I'll repurchase this because I'm a bit irritated by the bottle design and losing half the product down the drain. It's a decent enough product that is moderately priced but I don't know anyone who doesn't mind spending $7 for something in a shoddy bottle. I think I'll use up what's left of the bottle and go back to Neutrogena even though its a little more expensive.

Edit to add: I finally found a bottle of the Neutrogena unscented oil that I love so much. I stopped using this Organix nonsense because it wasn't as moisturizing and I found I still had to apply lotion to my hands, knees, feet and elbows.

Popular Lotions / Creams