Essie Naughty Nautical

Essie Naughty Nautical
Naughty Nautical

4.2

on 1/11/2017 11:45:00 AM

Naughty Nautical is from Essie Summer 2013 Collection. It's a teal, shimmer polish. The shimmer is more noticeable in the bottle than it is on the nail.

The formula is pretty good. It is highly pigmented, so you will get perfect opacity in 2 thin coats. But the formula is a little thin, making it easy to flood cuticles if you are not careful. I was worried that it would stain my nail, but it didn't (it very slightly stained my cuticles upon removal).

Essie polishes have 2 different brush sizes (I think I have read somewhere that thinner brushes are produced in the US and wider one in Europe, but it could be other way around). My bottle has a thin brush, but I prefer their wider brushes, as I have wide nail beds. If you are buying from places like TKMaxx/TJMaxx, you could come across both versions and the easiest way to tell without unscrewing the cap is, if the name label is on the top of the cap - the brush is wide. If the name label is on the base of the bottle - the brush is thin.

Despite the fact that the shimmer is not as noticeable I was hoping, it is still a very pretty colour and it suits my skin tone, so I would repurchase this polish.

on 11/13/2016 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Interesting color, mixture of teal but leaning more green in tone. Covers beautifully in two coats and wears well, does not seem to chip as easily or quickly as other brands. I prefer this shade on toes in the summer but looks nice on fingers too.

Naughty Nautical is a beautiful oceany colour from Essie. It is a turquoise colour with subtle silver shimmer and it is absolutely gorgeous. I found the formula easy to work with, it was great consistency and reached opacity in two coats. The colour lasted for about a week without chipping (which I find to be standard for Essie polishes). It is a gorgeous colour and I think it would really compliment tanned skin tones. It did stain my nails though, that was the only drawback and the only reason I deducted a star.

on 5/6/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

One of Essie's better formulas - not as watery/streaky as a lot of them. Thicker and easy to work with. This dries quickly and goes on smooth. There is a very, very, subtle shimmer. It's bright blue-green, but far more green. I think it's pretty unique, definitely the only thing similar in my collection. Great for spring/summer. It's not as flattering as some of their shades, so I took off one lippie.

on 12/28/2015 2:48:00 PM

Pretty, greenish aqua-teal with very subtle silver shimmer.

Good formula. Opaque in two coats and no problems with application or wear. But it did stain my nails a little upon removal.

The color, while nice, just didn't do it for me though. On the nail, there just doesn't seem to be anything special about it. I like my teals to be a little more vivid (like OPI's Fly, Butter London's Slapper, or Essie's Garden Variety) and this one is just slightly dusty and subdued.

And for some reason, it dried to a dull-ish non-shiny finish for me. I had to slap a glittery topcoat on it immediately.

Overall, I like it but I don't love it. Wouldn't buy it again.

on 8/14/2015 10:29:00 PM

Stunning, slight shimmer colour of the sea, for me the perfect turquoise shade. I have no issues whatsoever with the formula nor application. I bought this in 2015 from Priceline in Australia. Essie is pricey here, I think I paid around $16 for this but I use it often enough to justify the price. Looking at older reviews, I think the formula's changed, I find it easy to use.

I wear this over a good base of Essie Millionails as base coat, apply 2-3 coats of colour and then put a topcoat over it (either MAC Overlacquer which is quite shiny and dries quickly, or the Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy Diamond Shine topcoat, both which leave my nails looking like I'm wearing a gel mani.)

This polish is self-levelling and opaque with 2nd coat. I finish the lot with OPI Drip Dry drops or the OPI Rapid Dry spray and I'm good to go in a few minutes. Because it levels so well it looks super smooth and shiny with tc. The subtle shimmer sparkles in sun but it's not at all glittery or chunky.

I get good wear from this, some minor edge wear after a few days and small chips after about 5 days. I wrap my nail edges with both base and topcoat and really knock my nails around, so if I was being gentle I'd expect even better wear time. Can add tc to refresh after few days but definitely doesn't look dull. I like Essie's clear glass bottles, they store well and easy to identify by colour & also have name written in that colour on the round sticker on top of the lid.

To change this up a bit, or for an accent nail, a thin coat of Ulta3's $2 bargain, the seriously underrated "XOXO" gives a fine shimmer with a hint of gold and some micro holo. For something more obvious, a single coat of Sally Hansen Snow Globe holo/flake/glitter absolutely sparkles.
This Essie polish is one of my favourite polishes in my stash, love it.

on 7/15/2015 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a beautiful bluey-greeny teal coloured nail polish. It is highly pigmented so you could get away with one thick-ish coat. However I applied two and it was nicely opaque. It was very shiny but I added a top coat for longevity. This is a perfect pedicure colour for the summer months.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Naughty Nautical was my first Essie polish! It's a saturated, green-leaning teal creme with visible (but not gritty!) micro silver glass flecking throughout. Application was two-three easy coats to opacity, and dry time was standard. The colour is gorgeous, with added aquatic depth thanks to the glass flecking. Naughty Nautical is one of my go-to pedicure colours for summer (along with Zoya Charla/OPI Catch Me in Your Net type blue-green shimmers), but I love it on fingers, too. It's a summer colour, but it can be made wintry with the right glitter accents, thanks to that silver glass flecking. Naughty Nautical is a stainer, but so are most colours in this family. A double base coat will mitigate staining issues.

One thing I've noticed about this polish, which another reviewer picked up on: the pigment is fond of separating. There's a dark green ring of pigment around the middle of my bottle that is hard to mix back into the rest of the polish, even with rolling. It hasn't affected the product's application quality or colour payoff, but it does look unattractive (especially on bottles in store displays, which is a shame, because it makes this lovely colour seem very unappealing!), and I do worry that it will affect the polish in the long run.

on 5/24/2014 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This color is a teal (almost green at times) with a little glitter/shine to it. Not overwhelming though. I get compliments on it and it applies pretty smoothly. Takes 2 coats and dries pretty fast. A definite summer must have.

on 4/4/2014 1:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Gorgeous bright turquoise polish with shimmer. It was opaque in two coats, dry time was fast, and wear time is comparable to my other Essies--it lasted about a week without chipping (using my Revlon Colorstay gel-smooth base coat).
I love the design of Essie bottles because they fit nicely in my square plastic boxes I use for storage. I also really like the smaller brush for more precise application; I don't feel like I flood my cuticles or get as much polish on the side of my nails as I do with a larger brush.
Winner all the way!