Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara

Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara

3.7

Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera Cera, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Steareth-2, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acacia Senegal, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Fragrance, Disodium Edta, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Tin Oxide.

It is unusual for me not to like a mascara. In fact, this may just be the first one that I downright dislike.

For reference, I have good length to my eyelashes but they could do with some oomph in the volume department. I don't always feel the need to curl my lashes and wouldn't, therefore, say that they are stubbornly straight. Definition is sometimes desired though this is not necessarily top of my agenda in what I look for in a mascara. What I do look for is a dramatic volumised look. My priorities, then, in looking for a mascara are in order of preference 1) volume, 2) extra length 3) definition, closely followed by 4) ability to hold curl.

Mascaras that I have tried include:

BeneFit They're Real
Maybelline Colossal
YSL Shcking
YSL Babydoll
YSL Faux Cils

I'm not particularly loyal to any of these mascaras though I have repurchased YSL Faux Cils numerous times. I am also impressed with the offerings that I have tried from Dior, Chanel, Guerlain and Giorgio Armani. The reason that I am not particularly loyal to any one particular mascara is that 1) I like to try different mascaras and exhaust my options so that perhaps one day I will decide upon that elusive HG mascara (there are certainly enough contenders on my list) and 2) in reality most mascaras (drugstore included) are fine for my needs and will provide what more or less what I am looking for without too much effort.
Perhaps I have been spoilt by YSL and, therefore, had unrealistic expectations for Babydoll. I feel that this one didn't do a lot for me at all. The formula left my lashes feeling hard and crunchy and wasn't particularly black or buildable. I thought the effect was quite natural which isn't a bad thing, just not what I am personally looking for. I have grown used to it and am determined to use it. Right now I am using it in conjunction with YSL Shocking which gives quite a nice effect but using two (expensive) mascaras is not something that I would want to do all the time when there are plenty on the market that can do what I want in a single product. In all, I couldn't in all honesty recommend it especially with the crunchy effect it leaves on the lashes (one of my pet peeves). Those after a more natural effect may like it and the definition that it provides is quite good. To me, however, it's a lot of £ to drop on something that doesn't really do a lot and which has to be propped up by using an additional mascara.

I've never used a better mascara! Borrowed a tester version from a friend one day and been addicted ever since!
My eyelashes are naturally long and dark but they're uneven. This really evens them out and emphasises them and just makes them look amazing!
Yes it's a bit expensive but for me it's definitely worth it!

To Read all 106 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/2/2016 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a really nice mascara. It reminds me of benefit roller last but better in my opinion. For me this is more of a lengthen mascara so if you want something for volume I don't know if I would go for this. Good mascara over all and I can see myself repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I am literally in LOVE with this mascara!
It is very pricey, which I feel is the only con, but it is worth the price.

The first couple of times I used this, I hated it because it just ended up being clumpy and I couldn't get it to work as well as other reviews had said.

It makes my lashes look super long, super thick, and separated. The curl holds all day, and I don't even need go use lash curler with this, which is a big bonus! The colour is super pigmented, the packaging is gorgeous, and I've had no problems at all with the brush - sometime rubber brushes hurt my inner lids. This gets to every single lash, and doesn't smudge.

The formula is a little dry for a non-waterproof mascara, but you can work with it.

The only downside is this isn't waterproof, which is a bit of a pain, as it runs pretty easily if you have hey fever or get watery eyes - which is really he only negative to this mascara.

I use this mascara everyday, and I have a new obsession with it!

Check out my video on this mascara:

on 1/25/2016 12:26:00 AM

I will use this mascara until the day I die. It makes my eyelashes so long and dark and accentuated that my eyes look like ... well, a doll's. Worth the hefty price tag.

on 1/12/2016 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Babydoll mascara gives me really glossy black full voluminous lashes. I like the want because it can catch every lash and separate them instead of sticking them together. It's medium in terms of wetness and the effect is quite dramatic with two coats. I like it a lot and mine hasn't dried out yet but I believe Volume de Chanel is still better.

This mascara, for all of its designer label and high-end price, is worse than some of the cheapest drug-store/high-street mascaras. Sometimes I feel that it is pointless spending so much on mascaras. I am glad I have an opportunity to try this mascara out with a deluxe sample, and I have not actually paid money for a full length tube, even on discount or sale. Unfortunately, this also means that I cannot comment about the brush of the full size tube.

However, I have plenty of comments about the formula and application. My experience (based on enjoyment of applying) with this mascara can best be described as "not good," and my thoughts on the results can be best characterized by "Ugh," or "Meh."

Initially, it applies very wet, clumpy, spidery, and stiff. Too obvious-looking lashes for my taste. I prefer the natural, feathery soft, full, voluminous, yet still long, look I can get from, for example, L'Oreal Voluminous mascara.

However, now as it is drying out, it applies better (in my view). Less spikey, more feathery soft. Though, it still clumps. Overall, I am not wowed by this. I am going to save my money and buy 3 - 4 tubes of drugstore mascaras for the price I will pay for one tube of this mascara.

on 12/14/2015 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Everyone's views on this mascara are very different to mine! Lovely packaging and yes it made my lashes lovely and long for the first week. But by the second week, I had no mascara to apply because it was all so flaky and had all dried up.

Wouldn't expect that from a high end product! What a waste! Will never be purchasing again. Huge disappointment.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

I just got this on a whim, I almost never splurge on high end mascara but I decided I needed to. Holy hell this makes me look like I'm wearing fake eyelashes when I'm not. Definitely not very natural lookin hah but I love it.

on 9/27/2015 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Formula isn't bad, but the wand in the travel size I purchased is not friendly to thin, sparse,cobwebby lashes like mine. My lashes and brows have thinned with age and hormonal changes and the stiff plastic bristles on the wand are uncomfortable when then hit my skin. I seem to get more product on the surrounding skin than lashes.