Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara

Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll Mascara
Babydoll MascaraBabydoll Mascara

3.7

Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Acrylates Copolymer, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Copernicia Cerifera Cera, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Steareth-2, Cetyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Acacia Senegal, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Fragrance, Disodium Edta, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Tin Oxide.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Very pretty for your makeup bag, and to pull out for use in public but that's about it. Quite frankly that's the only reason I haven't thrown mine away yet - aesthetics - because it's otherwise useless. It's Roller Lash's first cousin in terms of doing just enough to exist but not actually perform at any remarkable level.
It claims volume and lash separation. Very little separation happens and absolutely no volume worth mentioning.
The formula is light but maybe too light for my long and curly lashes to be impressed by, and it also dries fast and hard. With this price tag and how beautiful and sleek it is, it's a crying shame.

on 5/27/2017 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My all time favorite mascara. Highly recommend. It is a good black, the formula is neither to solid or watery, it lasts in the tube and the wand separates lashes. I love it. Plus it is easy to remove.

EDIT October 13, 2017: It is not waterproof (already knew that) but it was tears tested because I cried at my dentist office and it apparently ran because later the dental tech had gotten a makeup wipe and was gently cleaning my eyes up trying to make me feel better! Plus she wanted to know the perfume I had on -Stella by Stella McCartney, so I got it out of my bag and gave her a spritz-(Love you Melissa). Still my favorite mascara!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I really like this mascara, but the price tag is a bit much.

For me this mascara is a nice everyday item - provides great separation and not clumpy. It doesn't have a ton of volume, but provides some length.

If you have sensitive eyes, this may not be for you - the formula is very perfume-y.

on 12/7/2016 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nov. 2016: This is great stuff! Very easy to apply, gives extra length and lots of volume... and all of this without being clumpy. I am not a fan of any other YSL mascara, but after a long time of hesitating, I am so glad I tried this one.
I only hope it will last a bit, cause I am only applying it for some days, and I read that after a few weeks the quality drops. Keep fingers crossed!

Update Dec. 2016: I have to agree with many other reviewers. The good quality of this mascara nearly lasts for 3 weeks. Then the magic is gone. This made me change the rating from 5 to 3 lippies, and I will not repurchase.

on 11/16/2016 5:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is without a doubt the best mascara i've ever owned or tried. And I'm not saying this because "it's ysl and it's more on the expensive side so it has to be good". I love how I can build up my lashes with this, when with a lot of mascaras there comes this big bulb with the bristles and you have to swipe it to get the amount of mascara you want. It doesn't fall off or smudge and with this I can get painstacking result. My lashes are long and quite voluminous naturally so I don't need no miracle worker. For me this is perfect, since those mascaras with big nylon heads tends to just make a mess

on 8/31/2016 9:52:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wanted to love this mascara, as I paid so much for it, but I don't. In fact, the only thing I like about it is the fact that is doesn't smudge and that it's very pigmented.

My lashes are blonde and thin, but have decent length. I want my mascara to lengthen my lashes even more, as well as separating them. I also want a bit of volume. This mascara however, tends to make my lashes stick together and makes them look shorter than they are. My lashes also look crispy and clumpy with this mascara on. Indeed, there are no babydoll lashes in sight when I use it. And, it flakes a lot. I won't waste my money on it again and will stick to my MAC mascara in the future.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

It is unusual for me not to like a mascara. In fact, this may just be the first one that I downright dislike.

For reference, I have good length to my eyelashes but they could do with some oomph in the volume department. I don't always feel the need to curl my lashes and wouldn't, therefore, say that they are stubbornly straight. Definition is sometimes desired though this is not necessarily top of my agenda in what I look for in a mascara. What I do look for is a dramatic volumised look. My priorities, then, in looking for a mascara are in order of preference 1) volume, 2) extra length 3) definition, closely followed by 4) ability to hold curl.

Mascaras that I have tried include:

BeneFit They're Real
Maybelline Colossal
YSL Shcking
YSL Babydoll
YSL Faux Cils

I'm not particularly loyal to any of these mascaras though I have repurchased YSL Faux Cils numerous times. I am also impressed with the offerings that I have tried from Dior, Chanel, Guerlain and Giorgio Armani. The reason that I am not particularly loyal to any one particular mascara is that 1) I like to try different mascaras and exhaust my options so that perhaps one day I will decide upon that elusive HG mascara (there are certainly enough contenders on my list) and 2) in reality most mascaras (drugstore included) are fine for my needs and will provide what more or less what I am looking for without too much effort.
Perhaps I have been spoilt by YSL and, therefore, had unrealistic expectations for Babydoll. I feel that this one didn't do a lot for me at all. The formula left my lashes feeling hard and crunchy and wasn't particularly black or buildable. I thought the effect was quite natural which isn't a bad thing, just not what I am personally looking for. I have grown used to it and am determined to use it. Right now I am using it in conjunction with YSL Shocking which gives quite a nice effect but using two (expensive) mascaras is not something that I would want to do all the time when there are plenty on the market that can do what I want in a single product. In all, I couldn't in all honesty recommend it especially with the crunchy effect it leaves on the lashes (one of my pet peeves). Those after a more natural effect may like it and the definition that it provides is quite good. To me, however, it's a lot of £ to drop on something that doesn't really do a lot and which has to be propped up by using an additional mascara.

I've never used a better mascara! Borrowed a tester version from a friend one day and been addicted ever since!
My eyelashes are naturally long and dark but they're uneven. This really evens them out and emphasises them and just makes them look amazing!
Yes it's a bit expensive but for me it's definitely worth it!

on 4/2/2016 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a really nice mascara. It reminds me of benefit roller last but better in my opinion. For me this is more of a lengthen mascara so if you want something for volume I don't know if I would go for this. Good mascara over all and I can see myself repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I am literally in LOVE with this mascara!
It is very pricey, which I feel is the only con, but it is worth the price.

The first couple of times I used this, I hated it because it just ended up being clumpy and I couldn't get it to work as well as other reviews had said.

It makes my lashes look super long, super thick, and separated. The curl holds all day, and I don't even need go use lash curler with this, which is a big bonus! The colour is super pigmented, the packaging is gorgeous, and I've had no problems at all with the brush - sometime rubber brushes hurt my inner lids. This gets to every single lash, and doesn't smudge.

The formula is a little dry for a non-waterproof mascara, but you can work with it.

The only downside is this isn't waterproof, which is a bit of a pain, as it runs pretty easily if you have hey fever or get watery eyes - which is really he only negative to this mascara.

I use this mascara everyday, and I have a new obsession with it!

Check out my video on this mascara: