Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light
Ambient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused LightAmbient Lighting Powder - Diffused Light

4.2

Mica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Boron Nitride, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecanol, Silica, Benzimidazole Diamond Amidoethyl Urea Carbamoyl Propyl Olymethylsilsesquioxane, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Olyacrylamide, Benzoic Acid, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Potassium Sorbate, Dehydroacetic Acid, Laureth-7, Ethylhexylglycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain : Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Ci 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride),Ci 77491 (Iron Oxide),Ci 77492 (Iron Oxide), Ci 77499 (Iron Oxide),Ci 75470 (Carmine).

on 5/24/2013 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I am reviewing the Ambient Light - Diffused Light version.

I have sensitive/dehydrated skin and a very light skin tone. I absolutely love this setting powder and currently it seems my favourite as I tend to grab this one most of the time.
It is not white, but a very very very light yellowish tone with some super finely milled shimmer particles that dont look like shimmer and are not visible, but instead give you a very flawless and "glowy/radiant" look. In fact on most days, I just add a little concealer with this powder on top and completely skin the foundation.
One tiny tiny minus is that there is (like with most brands) no brush in the compact so I need to carry a separate one.
I also like that this brand does NOT include parabens, phthalates, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, GMOs, Triclosan, and nanoparticles.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I think this is a great product, but I did have to modify normal application to suit my very oily skin. It's a setting powder which means you apply it over foundation/concealer as the last step in your face makeup. For me though, I have to use a mattifying powder first (I've been using MakeUpForEver's High-Def for years - still the best I've tried) with a dense brush and then swipe on the Hourglass powder with a big fluffy brush on top of that. If I apply it by itself without a mattifying powder first, my face only gets super oily, not radiant. And the shimmer in the Diffused powder, although extremely fine, just highlights the oiliness if I use the powder by itself. All that aside, Diffused is very subtle and does appear to soften lines and other imperfections, albeit very slightly - it doesn't provide perfect, Photoshopped-looking skin, but it does improve its appearance a little. I'm not crazy about my skin so even a tiny bit of improvement makes Diffused worth buying. I apply either this or Ethereal (which is almost identical to Diffused) nearly every day now. I skip it on days I'm short on time so it's not exactly a "holy grail" product for me, but I'd buy it again.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this product but I don't need this product. It is not a setting powder, it is a FINISHING powder and there is a substantial difference. A setting powder keeps your foundation lasting and in place. A finishing powder adds either a subtle layer of colour or luminosity, and in this case it is luminosity. I think it does a nice job of lighting up your whole face without it looking like yet another layer of makeup. I use Bobbi Brown foundation in Sand or Armani in #4 and in addition to bringing a little light it also seems to make the foundations (which are good matches for me to begin with) even more natural. The packaging is a bit clunky though the opening is ergonomically structured which is nice. Doesn't include a sponge because that is not what you are supposed to use to apply it. I use the Nars powder brush

on 9/22/2013 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I must update my original review. It took me a while to warm up to this powder, but now I really love it. I changed from BB's yellow pressed powder, which was looking cakey onme, to LM loose translucent as a setting powder. I use that only on my nose and forehead and to set concealer on my face, then use a light dusting of Diffused Light all over my face just before applying mascara. It makes my skin look wonderful and my makeup pretty much flawless. I also use a very light dusting to set my undereye concealer and eye primer or cream shadow (with my MAC 2244), and it makes a great difference over using the LM. My entire eye area looks luminous and, well, clean--no small feat at 57. It also looks great in the inner corner of my eye when I remember to apply it. Yes, the packaging is cheesy and the powder is fragile, but I have to say that this was a good purchase and a great product for my NC 20-ish complexion. Now I would repurchase.

I have to agree with violetmist--I like this product, but I don't need it. I use Bobbi Brown's Sheer Finish Pressed Powder in Pale Yellow (sparingly) as a setting powder, but apply a light veil of Diffused Light over my makeup when I've finished everything. It is absolutely not sparkly or obvious, even in direct sunlight, and does give my skin a bit of a glow and seems to make my makeup looks softer, as though I spent all day blending. It's a very natural look. This is a very dry powder, so I'm careful not to overapply (I use the Ambient Powder Brush), and it's also a soft powder (not firmly packed), so it's fragile and wouldn't be good to tote around in a purse. The compact is oversized and a bit cheesy, but that doesn't bother me. Overall, I'll enjoy this powder while it lasts (and it will for a long time, given how little I use), but I wouldn't repurchase.

on 10/14/2013 7:43:00 PM

Ladies, violetmist is correct. This is NOT a setting powder. It's a finishing powder. The distinction must be made or you won't be able to appreciate it.

My beloved Immaculate Complexion fdt. was getting much too dry for my oily but aging skin, so I decided to exchange it for this. I'm glad I did because I'm going to get a lot more use from this than I was getting from the fdt.

This finishing powder should be the last step in your MU application, which means it goes over setting powder, blush, etc. As such it works very well. It gives me a soft-focused, airbrushed look with the faintest, subtlest of glows (no sparkles, no glitter). It looks yellowish in the pan but it goes on transparent. I put it on with my big, fluffy powder brush. You can use it just on your cheekbones, etc., or all over your face. Either way, you only need a little bit.

It does not control oil because, again, it's not a setting powder. So if you're oily, you want to set your fdt with your regular powder first and top it with this. Don't worry. It won't make you look powdery (unless you go crazy with it). Given the extremely high price I would not have bought this (really, I don't know what they're smoking at Hourglass). But since it was an exchange, I am enjoying it.

on 11/13/2013 9:37:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This has been my secret weapon in my makeup routine for quite some time now. After I apply my foundation and set it with powder, I lightly first this over the top to impart a natural, skin-like finish to my face again. If you are darker than NC20 you'd probably do best to use this only as a highlighter, but on my NC10-15 skin it's fine to use all over. It's glowy without being glittery or shimmery, and the yellow tone of it really helps to disguise redness. It's not anything special at oil control though, which is why I use it over another powder. It's the perfect finishing touch. Like Photoshop in a compact!

on 12/3/2013 12:07:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Diffused Light- finishing powder- as it is described and marketed by Hourglass cosmetics.
I use this powder with a large powder brush all over my face just before I pick up my keys and head out into the world.
Diffused Light- gives my makeup a nice polished look, my skin a radiant glow,
Diffused Light is not glittery or shimmery.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

For me, this product suffers from over hype. It's a lovely powder, very finely milled and great for using all over my face to set my foundation, even under the eyes to set concealer. But it's a very basic product. No bells and whistles. It imparts no glow or unique finish. It doesn't do anything that a straight up setting powder wouldn't do.

The packaging is very functional, but nothing superb. The product is baked, so it can be prone to breaking off and then it just sort of bounces around inside of the packaging.

This is a nice product, but there is nothing unique enough about it to justify the price tag, imo.

on 12/20/2013 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It's taken me a while to write this because I wasn't entirely sure if I loved this or not. But I've noticed I reach for this product often, and, some application hiccups aside, I usually love the effect it gives.

I ended up buying this after seeing a Wayne Goss review and thinking he looked amazing wearing it. It's $62 or something here in Australia, which is expensive (but not too different from a lot of other mid to high end brands). It was this or the NARS one.

When I first got this I was kind of disappointed, I was using a soft kabuki brush to dust it on and it often looked powdery. After getting some counter advice I realised you need to buff this on, preferably with a slightly stiffer brush. The packaging is typically awesome looking Hourglass, but it's plastic so I wouldn't recommend dropping this on a hard floor or dumping it in your handbag with heavy stuff. It's robust but not indestructible.

I think this product is fairly multipurpose, it will definitely work as an 'invisible' finishing powder a la Guerlain Meteorites (but I prefer Meteorites for that job), but it can also be worn as a stand-alone powder or as a highlighter. I like this as a finishing powder but it can look slightly powdery if you over apply or apply it with a brush that doesn't buff it in. It's not like the Meteorites which you can't really see once they're on. I does have the skin perfecting look however, though it's better at a distance or in photos, whereas the Meteorites look nice close up too. The Meteorites are extraordinarily finely milled, whereas this is on par with most powders I've used in the past- if you pack it on you'll get cake face.

If you wear it alone it provides a slightly 'perfecting' look, it's not as good as a foundation but you'll look 'better' and the powder isn't visible (on my oily skin at least).
Where this really shines though is as a highlight, it adds glow but no colour or obnoxious metallic shimmer (so it won't dramatically change your blush colour or look greasy) and it means you can use it all over and then build up where you highlight (and it will keep oil at bay too).

If you want this exclusively as a 'perfecting' finishing powder I'd get the Meteorites instead, they never look powdery on, will last longer and only cost a bit more. If you hate scented products though, get this because the Meteorites I extremely violet lolly scented.
However this is a great product in its own right and I use it a lot- probably more than the Meteorites (because I don't have to be paranoid my two year old will knock them over or think they're lollies) and I use it much more than all my highlighters because it is much harder to overdo.

I'm curious to try some of the others now, which is a pretty big turnaround from being kinda bummed about it when I first got it. Maybe Mood Light next?

on 1/22/2014 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got all six shades and I will review them individually and as a whole in the main review for these powders. This shade is described as neutral peach beige powder that blurs imperfections and highlights a radiant complexion with the perfect balance of warm and cool tones.This is one of my least favorites, along with Ethereal Light because I think it's too light and yellow as a setting powder and too matte for a highlight. Plus, I think it's easily dupe-able.