Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.6

Not tested on animals

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

After trying a few acid exfoliants that irritated my skin, I thought of reverting to gently manual exfoliation. I decided it would be a good idea to use a hot cloth cleanser, because the action of the cloth can act as a gently physical exfoliation.

After many skincare disappointments, I went to Boots determined to buy a tiny travel size of this cleanser. I really wasn't sure if it would be for me because of all the essential oils in it. Anyway, the lady in the counter was fabulous, cleansed my skin with this cleanser and applied tonic, serum and moisturiser on my skin. I must admit that my skin was a bit red and sore when she finished cleansing but I attributed it to the fact that she was really rough with the cloth, really scrubbing my face, whereas I am very gentle with my skin. I was also under a lot of stress having just come out of an exam. I noticed how lovely the tonic smelled and the serum was lovely with no silicone. My biggest pet hate in skincare is a silicone infused serum. I cannot understand how companies think that is acceptable. But going back to the topic, the moisturiser felt lovely on my skin, fresh, hydrating and smelled amazing. I had been using fragrance free Eucerin lotion during the day and fragrance free Eucerin cream at night, so I immediately noticed how lovely these products smelled. I ended up buying a travel try me kit (cleanser, moisturiser, tonic and mask) because she reassured me she would accept the products back if they didn't work for me. Well, as soon I have the time I will return the products...

The cleanser is really nice, yet it smells very strongly of eucalyptus which is never a good sign. I used the whole system for two days and a half and my skin got blotchy, I got lots of tiny bumps on my forehead and some red dots on the side of my chin and cheeks which I have never had before. My pores were also looking huge. I must say I used the products correctly, being careful to remove makeup before using the cleanser.

Again, I made the mistake of trying a new system all at once and so now I don't know which product it's to blame. But to be honest I don't care. I just want to return all the products and get my money back. Yes, my Eucerin moisturisers are bland and boring, but I am starting to realise more and more that if it smells good, it doesn't belong on my face. I know there is a lot of scientific evidence regarding fragrance and skin sensitivities but I have to admit that some unfragranced products have caused me trouble (Clinique, for example) whereas some fragranced products worked well. Of course it's not as black and white as that but it is a fact that some of the essential oils included in skincare don't do what it is believed that they do (or at least, no one has ever been able to prove it) yet have been found to be irritating. I am a Science student so I have access to many scientific journals, which is where I get my information from.

Just a note regarding hot water, I know many people these days think that the only way to cleanse a face properly is with cloths/flannels and hot water. I couldn't disagree more. I think hot water should never be used on one's face. It's drying and irritating. The combination of hot water and rough use of cloths to cleanse the face can cause broken capillaries.

On a positive note, I must praise Liz Earle for having a refund system in place. The beauty industry makes millions out of selling us things that don't work for us. And many companies don't even let us try before buying! I think all companies should be willing to take the products back if they don't do what they claim or if they cause skin sensitivities.

Anyway, it was a shame that this didn't work for me. I was willing to overlook the eucalyptus content (even because it is a wash off product) because the products felt so luxurious. However, I can say that in just two days and a half my skin had a turn for the worse. Back to bland but safe Eucerin I go...

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I know for me having as I said sensitive, acne/prone skin, I tip toe around skin care products and thereís a few things that stick out to me that can be a problem so just be on the look out if you want to try this. Some of these ingredients include irritating plant extracts or fragrances that can be a problem for sensitive skin types. I havenít ran into this problem and Iíve been using this cleansing balm at night for a year now

see my full review where I do a break down of the ingredients at http://daisyalexandria.com/?p=92

on 10/2/2014 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I never got on with this cleanser. Over the years I have regularly tried it out because the reviews have always been so glowing and its cheaper than Eve Lom, but nope, my skin looked and felt awful. Red, raw, greasy, spotty, unclean, generally yuk. I went on a skin detox. 3 days without washing and then re-introduction of products one at a time. I have found the culprits. Cocoa butter and shea butter, This product contains cocoa butter, hence the problems with congestion and spots. If you're fortunate enough to have skin that laps up the aforementioned ingredients then you will love this cleanser and it deserves it rave reviews. If you don't get on with it, then you may well not get on with any products containing these butters. I don't. But there are alternatives out there (Emma Hardie, Eve Lom to name but but two).

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

This cleanser was first recommended to me by a colleague in the office who on asking what facial products I used, was dismayed to learn Iíd never heard of Liz Earlís products. She promoted that it did everything from clearing up warts to singing and dancing. To keep her quiet, I went on to the Liz Earl site to read about it for myself; it sounded fab but then any good marketing specialist can make anything look attractive. I compromised by buying the ĎTry meí kit to satisfy my curiosity whilst not breaking the bank.
The cleanser when it arrived was in a small 50 ml pump. It was thick and creamy without being greasy, and smelled of herbs. I tried it with the muslin cloth and was pleasantly surprised at the results: it left my skin feeling clean from the inside, not tight, but best of all, feeling refreshed.

I began using it after that and noticed the change in my skin texture. Iíve had rough skin before due to oily breakouts but these were fading. Also, my skin felt better and certainly looked more even in tone. The best bit was cleaning around the eyebrow area, the muslin cloth got rid of everything which water and cleanser alone never manage.

Eight years on, I still use this cleanser once a day. I have no acne or scars and my skin is an even tone. While itís not the cheapest cleanser out there, it can be made to go further if you buy the 200 ml tube. You know exactly how much is less and it last longer than two bottles of the 100 ml pump.

Itíll be a lie to say itís suitable for all skin types Ė it isnít, but those of my friends who tried it who donít have very sensitive skin have converted to it. One friends skin however didnít take to it, so I advise you to check the ingredients strongly before you buy. Otherwise it can be a costly mistake.

Not for sensitive/combo skin like mine. I used it a while back when my skin wasn't so sensitive and it got me hooked on hot cloth cleansers - of which I currently use Elemis Pro Radiance and my Gatineau Soothing cleanser I now also use with a hot cloth - but Liz Earle always used to leave a residue and I sometimes felt it was clogging my pores slightly. The smell, though lovely, I feel is a little too indulgent for everyday use. I used it again recently while travelling and my skin just didn't like it. Probably suits normal to dry skin more.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I honestly don't understand the hype. I like the product and the cloth technique but it doesn't wow me.
When I bought it (in summer) I didn't like the buttery texture but I find that it works a lot better during winter when my skin turns from combination-oily to dry. It feels moisturising and doesn't strip the oil out of my face but leave it quite clean.
I do like the subtle fragrance of it and although it does a poor job with my waterproof mascara it doesn't irritate at all my skin or eyes.
I think I might try other Liz Earle products but I wound't repurchase as I'm sure I can find something similar and cheaper. Having said that I don't think the product is expensive as it lasts a while and the packaging is quite nice.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My grandma swears by Cleanse and Polish, so she bought the massive 200ml tube for me for chirstmas. Boy am I glad she did! I use a make-up wipe to remove my mascara as it can get a bit messy, but it removes my face make-up like a dream! As i have oily skin, my face looked a bit dull but this really feels like its de-slicking my face without being stripping gives it a lovely glow. I've been having a few break out due to pigging out over the Christmas period and its definitely helping them go away faster. Id say this is great for all skin types, as i said my Grandma uses it and she has mature, dry and very sensitive skin and she loves it! Well done Liz :)

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily skin, which was looking dull until I tried this product. I'm on my second week and love it. Very easy to use. It leaves my skin feeling clean and soft. I do take my eye make up before using cleanse and polish. It removes my foundation amazingly! It smells amazing, if you like a more natural smelling product. The eucalyptus and rosemary really come through :)
I purchased the smallest tube just to try, I've just bought a full size pump bottle. I'm very happy!!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I work for a large cosmetics company and it's my job to showcase my make up meaning I have to wear a lot of it. This means finding a cleanser that removes EVERYTHING quickly and leaves my skin looking clean and glowing is important to me. When I use this cleanser at night time, my skin STILL feels fresh in the morning, and I've never experienced this with any other cleanser. It's so quick and efficient to use - the hot cloth is relaxing and does a good job at lightly exfoliating my skin. The smell is divine and I love the natural ingredients. I've tried a lot of products and this is second to none. It's a beautiful product.

Popular Face Skincare Products