Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.9

Not tested on animals

on 3/13/2017 1:02:00 AM

I used this consistently for about 2 weeks to give it a fair try, I also used it as directed and rubbed my face very lightly with the cloth in circular motions and I rinsed really well with warm and then cold water.

While washing my face I began to notice little red bumps like a rash appearing on my forehead, this subsided shortly after washing my face so no big deal but not long after little white heads and red pimples started appearing on my forehead, temples, hair line, sides of my nose, chin and jaw line and ive one or two on my cheeks as well, I stopped using the cleanser but ive now got large painful, red cystic spots on my chin, temple and forehead and small pimples everywhere else that wont clear up.

I read somewhere that this can be the product drawing all the crap out of your skin but it's been 2 weeks and ive seen no improvement, for something that claims to improve your skin, it's given me skin problems.

Ive never had acne prone skin and its rare that a product breaks me out although it does happen occasionally, never anything as bad as this, ive a big red scab on one side of my forehead after using this. My skin is usually so dry I have to moisturise daily with oils, heavy creams like Palmers cocoa butter or Vaseline to get some life into it, its rare I get spots so I don't know what's in this that's causing me skin problems.

I can take my makeup off with it, without having to wet my face - it sounds odd, but having to wash my face over a basin has always been tedious... and messy!!! It's ok for eyes but I'd still use coconut oil and a soft cloth on my eyes before/after, to get rid of it all properly. My skin feels clean, and the fact that it's easier to use, means I use it... even after a late night.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Nothing takes off my makeup like cleanse and polish. Leaves my skin beautifully clean and soft and also doesn't make my skin red at all which most cleansers do to my skin. I use the entire line including haircare now as everything I try ends up being amazing.

on 2/20/2016 1:33:00 PM

This is the hot-cloth cleanser I go back to time and time again. Imitations are nowhere near as good. Smells lovely, which encourages you to use it even if you're tired, takes eye make up off well and although expensive a little goes along way. Comes off clean with a muslin or flannel. I especially like it when they release a limited edition fragrance.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

After trying a few acid exfoliants that irritated my skin, I thought of reverting to gently manual exfoliation. I decided it would be a good idea to use a hot cloth cleanser, because the action of the cloth can act as a gently physical exfoliation.

After many skincare disappointments, I went to Boots determined to buy a tiny travel size of this cleanser. I really wasn't sure if it would be for me because of all the essential oils in it. Anyway, the lady in the counter was fabulous, cleansed my skin with this cleanser and applied tonic, serum and moisturiser on my skin. I must admit that my skin was a bit red and sore when she finished cleansing but I attributed it to the fact that she was really rough with the cloth, really scrubbing my face, whereas I am very gentle with my skin. I was also under a lot of stress having just come out of an exam. I noticed how lovely the tonic smelled and the serum was lovely with no silicone. My biggest pet hate in skincare is a silicone infused serum. I cannot understand how companies think that is acceptable. But going back to the topic, the moisturiser felt lovely on my skin, fresh, hydrating and smelled amazing. I had been using fragrance free Eucerin lotion during the day and fragrance free Eucerin cream at night, so I immediately noticed how lovely these products smelled. I ended up buying a travel try me kit (cleanser, moisturiser, tonic and mask) because she reassured me she would accept the products back if they didn't work for me. Well, as soon I have the time I will return the products...

The cleanser is really nice, yet it smells very strongly of eucalyptus which is never a good sign. I used the whole system for two days and a half and my skin got blotchy, I got lots of tiny bumps on my forehead and some red dots on the side of my chin and cheeks which I have never had before. My pores were also looking huge. I must say I used the products correctly, being careful to remove makeup before using the cleanser.

Again, I made the mistake of trying a new system all at once and so now I don't know which product it's to blame. But to be honest I don't care. I just want to return all the products and get my money back. Yes, my Eucerin moisturisers are bland and boring, but I am starting to realise more and more that if it smells good, it doesn't belong on my face. I know there is a lot of scientific evidence regarding fragrance and skin sensitivities but I have to admit that some unfragranced products have caused me trouble (Clinique, for example) whereas some fragranced products worked well. Of course it's not as black and white as that but it is a fact that some of the essential oils included in skincare don't do what it is believed that they do (or at least, no one has ever been able to prove it) yet have been found to be irritating. I am a Science student so I have access to many scientific journals, which is where I get my information from.

Just a note regarding hot water, I know many people these days think that the only way to cleanse a face properly is with cloths/flannels and hot water. I couldn't disagree more. I think hot water should never be used on one's face. It's drying and irritating. The combination of hot water and rough use of cloths to cleanse the face can cause broken capillaries.

On a positive note, I must praise Liz Earle for having a refund system in place. The beauty industry makes millions out of selling us things that don't work for us. And many companies don't even let us try before buying! I think all companies should be willing to take the products back if they don't do what they claim or if they cause skin sensitivities.

Anyway, it was a shame that this didn't work for me. I was willing to overlook the eucalyptus content (even because it is a wash off product) because the products felt so luxurious. However, I can say that in just two days and a half my skin had a turn for the worse. Back to bland but safe Eucerin I go...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

This is my go-to product for my sensitive, dull and eczema prone skin- I used to nick my Mum's one until she got sick of it an bought me my own about 7 years ago. I've been using it ever since and swear by it! Don't worry about the muslin cloths- use a flannel if you like, same result. Remember not to use water that is too hot as I feel this is what strips your face, rather than the product (in response to the comments below re stripping face) I love it and would highly recommend giving it a go x

on 4/28/2015 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is really a great cleanser! I was looking for a cream cleanser that was not irritating my eyes for years and now I found it. This cleanser does everything I want.
It cleanses my skin and (mascara) eyes perfectly, does not irritate my eyes, does not cause dermatitis or acne, is parfum free and does not dry out my skin.
I do not use the muslin cloth anymore, but a regular washcloth, I like that more, it is softer on my skin and somehow exfoliates better.

What I learned about my sensitive skin the last years is not to use foaming cleansers and to exfoliate every day in a mild way (washcloth).
Also to use parfum free product without other irritating ingredients.
I suffered from acne, blefaritis and seborrheic dermatitis my whole life and this keeps everything in control.

I cleanse my skin with the Liz Earl cleanser and a washcloth at night and moisturize with Physiogel.
In the morning wash my skin with water and moisturize with Cicabio from Bioderma.

on 1/17/2015 10:54:00 PM

Cleansing balms are kind of a new thing for me and admittedly, I don't have any similar products to compare this to. However, I really like the overall effect that this gives my skin. For those of you who don't know, this cleansing balm does three great things.

1. It gets rid of the crap on your face, including most eye makeup, with little hassle.

2. It doesn't overly dry your face out too much so if you have dry skin, this is quite good.

3. If you get it in your eye, you won't be screaming in agony.

This particular one is also not too expensive compared to a lot of the ones I've seen with a bottle lasting 3 or 4 months with everyday use. The starter kit comes with some clothes that help get even more crap from your face. Plus I'm sure you can find some of the starter kits Birchbox has been giving out if you want to try it.

Honestly, my skin has never felt better since using this kind of cleanser and I always come back to it. If your have dry skin, it's worth a shot.

on 7/12/2014 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This product is great! I don't really like using too many products on my skin and was worried this may be too rich/not agree with my skin. I couldn't have been more wrong. I usually use bioderma water to remove makeup and sometimes follow with la roche posay to remove the rest. Then I use Liz Earle cleanse and polish and I'm amazed at how much makeup is still in my skin in my pores. The muslin cloths are soft yet still exfoliate enough to ensure pores feel clear. I would highly recommend this product to everyone as it also contains natural ingredients so great for sensitive skin types too.

Popular Face Skincare Products