Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.7

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm newly converted to this. I bought it for going on holidays. Taking one bottle is a lot easier than carrying multiple bottles of cleansers, toners, eye makeup removers, exfoliators... Right? This stuff is amazing and I truly believe it does everything I mentioned above. It is soothing to apply, it melts away foundation and eye makeup and the muslin cloth removes everything beautifully without leaving your skin feel either tight and bothered or tacky. My skin has improved since I started using it and I love the convenience of it. It takes a lot to get me excited about a makeup remover, but this is lovely and I would recommend it to most people. A little bit goes a long way.

on 7/30/2014 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a sample of this and immediately fell in love. The scent, the feel of it on my skin - lovely. I massage it into my face (dry) for one minute, also going over my eyes, because this stuff is so gentle and great for removing even super tough masacara. I then take the cleansing cloth, let it soak in some hot water, and rub my face downwards in sections to wipe it off.

The about 1 minute 30 seconds this whole thing takes feels like I am really doing something good and luxurious every night. In the morning I use clarisonic with a Alpha Hydroxy cleanser.

Yes it was love at first pump, but it wasn't until I finished the whole two week sample I knew I was in real trouble. My skin looks SOOOO much better. I have terrible skin - early deep creases, super oily, pores like craters - After starting to use this, now for about 2 months I am amazed at how much improved my skin is. I'm still real oily, but my skin used to look rough and sallow. It is now smoother with a nice glow.

The price is also not bad, because of how amazing the packaging is. I LOVE the pump. I wish everything came in this pump. It looks pretty enough to leave out on a shelf, and one easy pump with one hand and I have the perfect size application. No bacteria getting in, no wasted product getting out. It really does last a long time. I want to say I've had this same pump for two months now and it's going strong.

This is hands down the best cleanser I have ever used.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have dry/sensitive skin and using other cleansers just dry out and tighten my face even more. I tried this cleanse and Polish because it came as a sample in my Birchbox. Verdict? I absolutely LOVE it! It got every little bit of makeup off my face, including, mascara! It left my face feeling so clean, smooth and hydrated, for ONCE! I just ordered my BF and I the complete 3-step regime. Definitely will be repurchasing!

on 1/18/2013 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I didn't like this when i first bought it but I realize it's an excellent cleanser in the colder weather when my skin is dryer and needs to keep its moisture. I have combo skin that only really gets dry in the winter.
In my LE order I also bought the oil which wasn't as good for my skin and definitely broke me out but once I tried this again in the colder weather i was VERY happy with it. It doesn't dry out my skin like my usual cetaphil. I've been using cetaphil exclusively for the last couple of years. Cleanse and Polish is the first I've deviated. One 200ml tube has lasted me a quite a long time. Will likely buy it again.

on 8/31/2012 7:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So far, this is the best cleanser i have come across. I see why people love it. Im almost finished my second pump bottle and will next purchase the 200 ml tube.

It COMPLETELY removes all makeup, including eye makeup (although i dont wearwater proof if you find you need to use a seperate eye makeup remover first its no biggie!, plenty of cheap and effective ones out there like johnsons, boots botanics and l'oreal)....

I am very clog prone but have never found this to break me out or clog my pores.
I think maybe people arent cleaning their face correctly with this and thats why they are breaking out. I find the eve lom way is much better than the liz earle recomendation funnily enough, ..........

Just get your muslin cloth or face cloth, run it under water that is quite warm (but never boiling or uncomfortable to touch with your hands) and apply the cloth, holding it on your face for a few seconds ,(this basically melts the cream alot so you know you will easily remove the cleanser afterwards and opens pores to allow for really effective cleansing later), then go back and wet the cloth again and gently use the cloth to remove all the cleanser from your face then.

splash with some cold water and pat dry with a clean towel. some say this may cause broken capilaries, following with cold water but as long as you werent foolish enough to originally cleanse with boiling water or close to it, this will not happen. the water should be quite warm but never uncomfortable.

. I think the cream texture maybe suits normal, combination and maybe oily skin better and oily/balm type ceansers suits drier skins better. Although if you have dry skin you might still get on really well with this and the same applies to those with oily skin. its a cream, so it is kind of the perfect medium between very oily cleasners which can suit dry skin and gel cleansers that suit oily skin. IT IS WORTH A TRY FOR ANY SKIN TYPE in my opinion.

so:

PROS:

Completely removes all makeup, sunblock etc
Leaves skin feeling completely clean but never stripped, just really smooth and soft
smells devine
(what more could you ask for from a cleaner really?!)

CONS:

(Although not really a con more of a pet peeve lol)

Regarding liz earle in general, it should be more widely availabl in the real world because buying it online is a pain. I like to buy things the old fashioned way.

on 6/13/2012 5:39:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I love this cleanser. I have just repurchased it and my skin is looking a lot better, and I love how it does not sting my eyes.

on 5/11/2012 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I wanted to love this product SO SO much--especially after hearing all the hype surrounding it. I have been using it for 4 months now, and I can officially say, that this product just does not work for my skin. I am SO disappointed. While it definitely make my skin soft and clean feeling...every morning after using it I would notice red spot/irritation on my cheeks. At first I figured my skin was "purging" but, it just never stopped. I denied and denied that this could be the product that was causing such irritation to my cheeks, but when I began to alternate between this and a non-exfoliant cleanser, and every night I used this...the next morning I would wake up to the same familiar irritated spots on my cheeks (red bumps--not spots, but definite dry irritation)...I realised this just wasn't working

So, I am back to my LUSH skincare. Which I adored and don't know why I strayed. Just figured I could get bigger and better things from switching it up.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

For those with sensitive skin, beware. This product is not for people with rosacea, despite the claims on the website saying that this works even for sensitive skin as long as you don't use the muslin to scrub or hot water. I did not use either but still ended up with an instantaneous severe rosacea flare-up that lasted well into the next day. I should have known the second I smelled that familiar Noxema smell. I don't understand why they include eucalyptus oil knowing it's an irritant with no real benefits. And if they're going to include it, why would they say it's OK for people with sensitive skin? Ugh. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money to mail it back to the U.K.

Popular Face Skincare Products