Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.6

Not tested on animals

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this! I have become quite the fan of European skincare and fragrance products as they are great for my sensitive skin. This is creme de la creme for me.

It does remove light makeup but if you use a full face of it or a really longwearing and/or full-coverage foundation, you will likely need to cleanse twice or with two cleansers.

I use it as directed but with using a regular washcloth as opposed to the muslin, as I exfoliate chemically (Pixi Glow Tonic) more often than doing anything physical with a cloth or a scrub. This doesn't irritate my skin and leaves it clean but soft-feeling and helps to lessen the severity of the inevitable hormonal breakouts and to take them down quickly. Rinse off well as the formula is thick, but your skin, if like mine, will feel so soft.

I have been using Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish system for a year now and can safely say this is the best cleanser I've ever used on my face. As this has already been reviewed by many i won't harp on about the texture (creamy), smell (faint) or packaging (plain and uniform across the range). I buy this every 6 weeks and get:
1x 100ml bottle of cleanser
2x muslin cloths
1x 200ml bottle of instant boost toner
It works for me and i have combination skin that is oily on the t-zone, acne marks from my teenage years and hyperpigmentation from sun exposure. I haven't had break-outs in so long i can't honestly remember when the last one was and truly, my skin is in better shape now than in my 20's. (Go figure!).

This is my go-to product for my sensitive, dull and eczema prone skin- I used to nick my Mum's one until she got sick of it an bought me my own about 7 years ago. I've been using it ever since and swear by it! Don't worry about the muslin cloths- use a flannel if you like, same result. Remember not to use water that is too hot as I feel this is what strips your face, rather than the product (in response to the comments below re stripping face) I love it and would highly recommend giving it a go x

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

on 7/12/2014 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is great! I don't really like using too many products on my skin and was worried this may be too rich/not agree with my skin. I couldn't have been more wrong. I usually use bioderma water to remove makeup and sometimes follow with la roche posay to remove the rest. Then I use Liz Earle cleanse and polish and I'm amazed at how much makeup is still in my skin in my pores. The muslin cloths are soft yet still exfoliate enough to ensure pores feel clear. I would highly recommend this product to everyone as it also contains natural ingredients so great for sensitive skin types too.

on 8/31/2013 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my HG cleanser. The pump makes the product last well & I only use at night. In the mornings I just use the cloth & water. I love the texture & everything about this- I have been using it for a few years and it suits my sensitive skin so well. I have tried the lavender limited edition & it was ok but I prefer the original. I hope they leave the formula for this alone- it's perfect as it is

I've been using Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser for over two years, morning and night, religiously. It's a great, gentle cleanser which makes good on all the promises made on the bottle. I primarily use this to remove my makeup of an evening and am currently looking into a few different cleansers for am / pm to shake up my routine a little. But overall I know that unless the formulation of this seriously changes, this cleanser will continue to be a permanent fixture in my skincare rotation. It does a really good job at removing all of my makeup, especially some of my heavier, more durable foundations. I would say it removes about 90 - 95% on first application. If I've worn a lot of makeup, I'll use it to cleanse again, but I usually just follow up with a good toner which removes any last traces. This is very, very gentle on the skin and leaves my face feeling fresh and soft. I also really like how mess free this is too. I can really massage the product into my skin without it going everywhere and to finish I buff off with a LE muslin cloth which prevents my hair and top from getting soaked with water.

Pros:
- Great at removing makeup
- Gentle, nourishing and kind to skin
- Easy to use & mess free
- Lasts a really long time
- Doesn't break me out
- Nice packaging & not too expensive

Cons:
- None

I would repurchase.

Ingredients:

on 7/20/2013 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I understand why this is so popular. It's the one cleanser I repeatedly come back to. Gentle, effective and a really lovely consistency. I didn't notice a difference in my skin when I started using it but when I stopped I found my skin was less balanced and more prone to the odd break out and dry patches. I use it at least once a day, sometimes choosing to oil cleanse at night or use an AHA cleanser in the mornings. Overall this is simply an absolute pleasure to use. The muslin cloths are also great, I do sometimes use a cotton wash cloth or micro fibre cloth but I think the Liz Earle cloths are pretty good and I usually stock up with a couple when I repurchase.

I absolutely love this stuff!!! I'm quite surprised it only has a rating of 3.8.

I have used this for two years now and am completely addicted to it. When I use this my skin is left feeling clean, fresh and soft (down to the chamomile and cocoa butter I suspect). This is a cream which has a thick, luxurious texture and is applied to dry skin. It's very gentle and contains nothing harsh e.g. alcohol or sulfates (hence it doesn't lather). For such a soft cleanser this does a very good job of removing makeup, even heavy. However, I tend to remove makeup with wipes prior to using this to get the full cleansing benefits (FYI my skin type is combo).

I love using the muslin cloths with my cleanse and polish but I've recently started using it with my clarisonic. I massage it well into dry skin, wet my clarisonic a little so it glides more easily and then cleanse away! Finally I rinse what's left off my face and follow with my Instant Boost Tonic which is also super. Quick tip!!! When washing your cloths avoid using fabric softener which makes them too soft. This keeps them nice and firm which works better to exfoliate the skin.

I definitely prefer the 200ml tube over the 100ml airless pump. When the tube appears empty I cut the top open to reveal another 3 days supply which is why I think the pump is wasteful.

For those who feel their skin is not clean, perhaps they are not rinsing the muslin cloths well enough, therefore just smearing the cleanser around their face instead of removing it altogether.

Overall, I highly recommend this cleanser, you should give it go!

on 12/12/2012 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Last winter when absolutely NOTHING calmed my skin down, even the dermatologist gave me trial and error products that still didnt work, Cleanse and Polish did the job! This is simply the best and most effective cleanser i have ever tried!!! It truly is suitable for ALL skin types. Although you get specifically designed cleansers for oily skin, dry skin etc, this really works without needing to be specifically for certain skin types. It smells great, goes on great and feels lovely and soothing and works amazingly!!! its got a toothpaste consistency but not as sticky. And even before using a toner and moisturiser it doesnt leave the skin feeling dry or tight and this is coming from somebody who sometimes uses vaseline as a moisturiser as nothing is thick enough. The 200ml tube is more economical and u can get every ounce or product out! Would highly recommend and i purchase this regularly. Just saving up for a bulk buy!

Popular Face Skincare Products