Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 9/17/2016 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I like to experiment with different cleansers, but I keep coming back to this one again and again. I like the smell and texture. While some reviewers find the hot cloth thing to be a faff, it really does get your face clean without drying it out. I have a stack of the cloths and wash after every use (they are usually dry by morning, so no issues with throwing them in the wash).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this! I have become quite the fan of European skincare and fragrance products as they are great for my sensitive skin. This is creme de la creme for me.

It does remove light makeup but if you use a full face of it or a really longwearing and/or full-coverage foundation, you will likely need to cleanse twice or with two cleansers.

I use it as directed but with using a regular washcloth as opposed to the muslin, as I exfoliate chemically (Pixi Glow Tonic) more often than doing anything physical with a cloth or a scrub. This doesn't irritate my skin and leaves it clean but soft-feeling and helps to lessen the severity of the inevitable hormonal breakouts and to take them down quickly. Rinse off well as the formula is thick, but your skin, if like mine, will feel so soft.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

After trying a few acid exfoliants that irritated my skin, I thought of reverting to gently manual exfoliation. I decided it would be a good idea to use a hot cloth cleanser, because the action of the cloth can act as a gently physical exfoliation.

After many skincare disappointments, I went to Boots determined to buy a tiny travel size of this cleanser. I really wasn't sure if it would be for me because of all the essential oils in it. Anyway, the lady in the counter was fabulous, cleansed my skin with this cleanser and applied tonic, serum and moisturiser on my skin. I must admit that my skin was a bit red and sore when she finished cleansing but I attributed it to the fact that she was really rough with the cloth, really scrubbing my face, whereas I am very gentle with my skin. I was also under a lot of stress having just come out of an exam. I noticed how lovely the tonic smelled and the serum was lovely with no silicone. My biggest pet hate in skincare is a silicone infused serum. I cannot understand how companies think that is acceptable. But going back to the topic, the moisturiser felt lovely on my skin, fresh, hydrating and smelled amazing. I had been using fragrance free Eucerin lotion during the day and fragrance free Eucerin cream at night, so I immediately noticed how lovely these products smelled. I ended up buying a travel try me kit (cleanser, moisturiser, tonic and mask) because she reassured me she would accept the products back if they didn't work for me. Well, as soon I have the time I will return the products...

The cleanser is really nice, yet it smells very strongly of eucalyptus which is never a good sign. I used the whole system for two days and a half and my skin got blotchy, I got lots of tiny bumps on my forehead and some red dots on the side of my chin and cheeks which I have never had before. My pores were also looking huge. I must say I used the products correctly, being careful to remove makeup before using the cleanser.

Again, I made the mistake of trying a new system all at once and so now I don't know which product it's to blame. But to be honest I don't care. I just want to return all the products and get my money back. Yes, my Eucerin moisturisers are bland and boring, but I am starting to realise more and more that if it smells good, it doesn't belong on my face. I know there is a lot of scientific evidence regarding fragrance and skin sensitivities but I have to admit that some unfragranced products have caused me trouble (Clinique, for example) whereas some fragranced products worked well. Of course it's not as black and white as that but it is a fact that some of the essential oils included in skincare don't do what it is believed that they do (or at least, no one has ever been able to prove it) yet have been found to be irritating. I am a Science student so I have access to many scientific journals, which is where I get my information from.

Just a note regarding hot water, I know many people these days think that the only way to cleanse a face properly is with cloths/flannels and hot water. I couldn't disagree more. I think hot water should never be used on one's face. It's drying and irritating. The combination of hot water and rough use of cloths to cleanse the face can cause broken capillaries.

On a positive note, I must praise Liz Earle for having a refund system in place. The beauty industry makes millions out of selling us things that don't work for us. And many companies don't even let us try before buying! I think all companies should be willing to take the products back if they don't do what they claim or if they cause skin sensitivities.

Anyway, it was a shame that this didn't work for me. I was willing to overlook the eucalyptus content (even because it is a wash off product) because the products felt so luxurious. However, I can say that in just two days and a half my skin had a turn for the worse. Back to bland but safe Eucerin I go...

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

I have been using Liz Earle's Cleanse & Polish system for a year now and can safely say this is the best cleanser I've ever used on my face. As this has already been reviewed by many i won't harp on about the texture (creamy), smell (faint) or packaging (plain and uniform across the range). I buy this every 6 weeks and get:
1x 100ml bottle of cleanser
2x muslin cloths
1x 200ml bottle of instant boost toner
It works for me and i have combination skin that is oily on the t-zone, acne marks from my teenage years and hyperpigmentation from sun exposure. I haven't had break-outs in so long i can't honestly remember when the last one was and truly, my skin is in better shape now than in my 20's. (Go figure!).

This is my go-to product for my sensitive, dull and eczema prone skin- I used to nick my Mum's one until she got sick of it an bought me my own about 7 years ago. I've been using it ever since and swear by it! Don't worry about the muslin cloths- use a flannel if you like, same result. Remember not to use water that is too hot as I feel this is what strips your face, rather than the product (in response to the comments below re stripping face) I love it and would highly recommend giving it a go x

on 3/15/2015 7:15:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

"If you ran out or lost this product would you buy it again?" - Yeah, maybe if I couldn't get hold of the Clinique Take The Day Off Balm.

This feels smooth and creamy to apply. It's also economical, as I found I only needed one pump (which doesn't dispense very much) for my whole face, possibly an extra wee half pump more if you're wearing more than just mascara or brow make up. However, much as I liked the fresh, herbal smell, I wonder if it was the cause of the initially pleasant, cold, tingling sensation on my face. While sometimes it made my face feel softer, at times my face was also slightly red and patchy after applying it. I wondered if perhaps my skin was too sensitive to the hot cleanser, but it seems to be OK with its replacement of Clinique TTDOB. Sensitive skins approach with caution maybe.

on 1/20/2015 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My mum introduced me to this cleanser when I was about 13 and I have been using it on and off ever since (I'm always trying different cleansers but always end up coming back to this one)! It leaves the skin so soft and is so moisturising. I have acne prone skin and this has not broke me out in fact it has helped sooth my face, It has natural ingredients as well so that is a bonus. It is amazing at removing make up and even stubborn waterpoof mascara. Will definitely continue to buy!

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

on 7/15/2014 12:53:00 AM

Ugh, i gave this cleanser a good run and it made my skin much worse. It broke me out, left a definite film (yes I used the cloth) and irritated my skin/made me increasingly flushed as the days passed. One of the worst cleansers I've ever used. Maybe my skin is too sensitive, acne prone and clog prone for this. It's probably meant for dry skin.

Popular Face Skincare Products