Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.4

Not tested on animals

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this cleanser! I'm pregnant and usually have sensitive skin however my skin has not reacted to this product. The cleanser smells amazing and skin feels soft after use. I got the skin tonic, 2muslin cloths, skin repair moisturiser in a kit for £45 with a free facial exfoliator! Love it and much cheaper than the clarins I was using!

on 12/9/2015 2:04:00 PM

I must be one of the few people not to like this. It made me break out and did not help the breakouts I was having before I used this; it made things worse. The cloth was very abrasive, too. I felt it was rougher than necessary to get a buffing action. I did finish the product as a foot moisturiser and it worked very well for this. The pump packaging was nice, dispensing a controlled amount of product each time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I thought I would try this cleanser as a couple of my friends were raving about it. I bought it a couple of times because I wanted to give it some time as obviously products don't work overnight but honestly I just found it a bit meh. I originally bought it to take my makeup off as an alternative to wipes but I didn't feel like it removed all my makeup, the muslin cloths are only good for a couple of uses then when you wash them they lose softness and have to be thrown away. Also they were advertised as good for sensitive skin only I felt they irritated my skin if I left the product on for too long my skin went quite red. I think maybe they would be better for non sensitive skin but I wouldn't buy again

on 4/28/2015 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is really a great cleanser! I was looking for a cream cleanser that was not irritating my eyes for years and now I found it. This cleanser does everything I want.
It cleanses my skin and (mascara) eyes perfectly, does not irritate my eyes, does not cause dermatitis or acne, is parfum free and does not dry out my skin.
I do not use the muslin cloth anymore, but a regular washcloth, I like that more, it is softer on my skin and somehow exfoliates better.

What I learned about my sensitive skin the last years is not to use foaming cleansers and to exfoliate every day in a mild way (washcloth).
Also to use parfum free product without other irritating ingredients.
I suffered from acne, blefaritis and seborrheic dermatitis my whole life and this keeps everything in control.

I cleanse my skin with the Liz Earl cleanser and a washcloth at night and moisturize with Physiogel.
In the morning wash my skin with water and moisturize with Cicabio from Bioderma.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

---- Have updated review under the line ------

Firstly, this product is amazing! I got a sample from John Lewis which was the small 50ml bottle and has lasted me around two weeks morning and evening. I have sensitive skin which means I break out and have extremely dry skin but this cleared both problems up. The creamy cleanser feels moisturising and when removed with the muslim cloth, feels exfoliated. I didn't even have to put my usual heavy duty moisturiser or sensitive skin toner with it! people have also commented on how clear and radiant my skin looks. Seriously recommend if you're looking for a product for sensitive/blemish ridden skin, however my skin does get used to skincare products quickly but this has been nothing but good to my skin.

------------------------------------

UPDATE: 20/2/15 Had to reduce this to 2 lippies as after continuous use it REALLY upset my skin, caused me to breakout/have a rash and wasn't pleasant to my skin at all! My skin constantly felt tight after this, even with my rich moisturiser. I'm disappointed as I thought this would be my HG cleanser.

on 10/2/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is an HG and I've been using it religiously for a year now. My skin has changed beyond recognition in that time.

It used to be dry with patches of eczema on my forehead and cheeks, some greasiness/blackheads on and around my nose and chin with blotching, uneven skintone. Most annoyingly, I was/still am hypersensitivity to most skin products and the cold. My skin used to flare up when I washed my face with the gentlest of cleansers so (and I now feel totally grossed out thinking about the fact)...I never used to wash my face with anything more than water!! Ever! For years...euck!

My skin was a mess and it was really getting me down. Someone recommended Liz Earle C&P and in my desperation reluctantly (due to the price) I bought it, kind of expecting it would be chucked onto my pile of failed skincare experiments after the second day.

Honestly my first week did not leave me impressed and I thought it really would be another waste. It left me feeling even more congested and like I was breaking out slightly. Determined not to give up so soon due to the cost, I did quite a lot of digging on the web at how to use hot cleansers properly and within two weeks my skin felt completely transformed.

Having used it for a year now, my skin is even, pores seem smaller, I no longer have the dry patches which I have had for YEARS and which usually this time of year start to get really bad again. The greasy areas and blackheads have disappeared. My super-sensitive skin feels so soothed by the creme and supple after cleansing - not tight at all. I genuinely enjoy washing my face before I go to bed (have only missed 1 day in a year). Here are the things I've learnt about how to make this cleanser work to its full potential:

1) I started with a 100ml pump but when that finished I bought the 200ml tube which I massively prefer - doesn't waste product at the end and you can control how much to use. I use a big pea-sized amount (less than a single pump would dispense) and this means a 200ml has lasted 9 months!!!

2) I only cleanse in the evening before going to bed. I figured out my sensitive skin does not benefit from regular 2x a day cleansing, even despite how gentle this stuff is.

3) Use on a DRY face, gently massage the cream in circular movements around the face, concentrate on any areas you get blackheads etc. Really work it on your face and keep going until your fingers stop gliding and it becomes a bit gummy. I let my hot tap run during this to run through the cold water until it's really hot for the next stage (saving the cold water for my plants - don't like water waste!)

4) I prefer just a normal flannel instead of the muslin cloths as they are more gentle and just as effective. Get a CLEAN* flannel and drench with hot water (as hot as you can go without burning your hands). Wring out the cloth so it's dryish but still hot, and with gentle circular motions buff the cream off your skin using a different part of the flannel for each new area on the face.

5) Don't apply loads of pressure, the heat and the buffing is what you need to get it all off. Again, concentrate on any areas that might get blackheads/congestion. When the cloth isn't hot anymore, wet it/wring it out again - I usually do this about 3 times per cleanse.

6) Splash with COLD water. Counterintuitively, this really helps to calm skin after cleansing.

7) follow up with the next step in your routine. I prefer to just pat dry and add my Bioderma lotion for a comfortable and clean face before bed.

* note about cloths: Don't skimp and get at least seven flannels. Then you can use a clean one everyday and wash them at the end of the week. You're thinking this is OTT but it seriously stops recontaminating your face with the bacteria that grows on your flannel next time you cleanse and will stop breakouts.

There you have it - hope that helps you get the most from this amazing cleanser and it does for you what it has done for me :-)

on 5/29/2014 10:13:00 AM

good cleanser for mature ladies i am late 50s normal/sensitive skin.
have used for years does not aggravate any areas due to the botanical
ingredients. it has gone up in price in recent years but i get the 3 x 100ml pack
pump dispensers (no wastage). makeup just glides off - dont use for mascara
removal it just stains the muslin cloth i use slightly damp cotton pad.
would recommend this product

on 4/22/2014 5:17:00 PM

I used to use this but quit once I discovered cleansing oil (DHC) and cleansing balm(Clinique). If you're not sensitive this should be lovely. For me though I realised it was aggravating my redness a bit. Lovely smell. Cleanses well. I'd just say perhaps the eucalyptus could be irritating to some.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

After hearing bloggers and Youtubers rave about this as well as the sales assistants in my local Boots store I thought it'd be the best cleanser to ever grace this earth; sadly that's not quite the truth!

I bought the 100ml pump starter kit for under £15, not a bad price for such a popular product. I used it all over my face morning and evening for a while with the included muslim cloths, but I did have to stop after about a week's worth of use. Although the polishing cloths work great for gentle exfoliation, the redness in my skin was getting worse with each use and it wasn't as pleasant to use as my cleansers for sensitive skin, so I stopped using it. This product claims to cater for "every age and skin type" but sadly not so for those with sensitive skin, even if you don't normally react to products! I blame the eucalyptus essential oil, which is intended as "cooling" but may be a little drying and irritating for some.

Since I stopped using this and went back to other, more gentle (but sadly more expensive) cleansers, my skin is much happier and more balanced in general. One to avoid if you have sensitive or easily irritated skin.

Popular Face Skincare Products