Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

No Title

3.0

Not tested on animals

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I know for me having as I said sensitive, acne/prone skin, I tip toe around skin care products and there’s a few things that stick out to me that can be a problem so just be on the look out if you want to try this. Some of these ingredients include irritating plant extracts or fragrances that can be a problem for sensitive skin types. I haven’t ran into this problem and I’ve been using this cleansing balm at night for a year now

see my full review where I do a break down of the ingredients at http://daisyalexandria.com/?p=92

on 9/14/2014 3:20:00 AM

Clogged my skin badly!!!
After washing still could feel product sitting on my skin.((
Not recomend for people with acne prone sensitive skin.
Going back to use Lavera Basic Sensitive clenser.

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

$27.50 for 3.3oz pump, $40 for 6.7oz tube

Ingredients: Aqua (water), Caprylic/capric triglyceride, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Sorbitan stearate, Polysorbate 60, Glycerin, Cera alba (beeswax), Propylene glycol, Humulus lupulus (hops) extract, Panthenol, Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) extract, Anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract, Eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, Limonene, Citric acid, Sodium hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dehydroacetic acid, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

This was my first hot cloth cleanser, so I have a soft spot for it :) Despite what they say, this is not completely natural, it just has some natural essential oils.

Anyway, this is a great cleanser to start with to get you used to using cream cleansers on dry skin and removing with a hot cloth. The starter kits, which are a couple dollars more than just the pump or tube, include some of their muslin cloths (which are useless after a few washes). I prefer to use a regular baby washcloth that you can get in packs of 7 from Target for about $4.99 and last a long time and don't lose their exfoliating ability. I've bought this about 3x and go back to it frequently. I just finished a 6.7oz tube and will try something different just cos I get bored easily and like to try different cream cleansers.

So to use it, you apply about a quarter size dollop and massage it well into your face and remove with the muslin cloth or a cloth of your choice after running it under hand-hot water. You would repeat the process if you are wearing makeup. It feels a bit minty but nothing like the "tingly fresh" burn of Neutrogena or Clean & Clear. I mean, I can take it over your eyes to remove makeup without it hurting. I've used it this way as well as a morning cleanse the same way, without double cleansing with it in the morning.

All in all this is a no frills cleanser, tried and true and loved by many who have MINIMAL TO NO SENSITIVITY TO ESSENTIAL OILS. If you are prone to break outs when using cocoa butter or get irritated by the oils in this, avoid and use Boots No7 Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser found at Target or Ulta as it lacks the essential oils but has the same cocoa butter. For an even more organic version, try the Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm which comes in a jar and is full of organic ingredients such as jojoba, olive oil, rose hip oil, sweet almond oil and shea butter instead of cocoa butter. Both those options are also less costly than Liz Earle.

on 5/29/2013 5:25:00 PM

If you don't have acne then I'd say this is probably a wonderful product. However, I think it is wrong that the Liz Earle website recommends the hot cloth cleanse and polish as being a suitable cleanser for acne prone skin. I can only use this product and not have a complete breakout if I use acne antibiotic cream afterwards that I've been prescribed by my doctor. Without this, and when using the Liz Earle hot cloth C&P, my acne flared up and I just didn't feel this product was completely cleansing my skin.
Initially, my experience with this product was positive, my skin seemed to glow after using it and felt very hydrated. However, after a few months of using it, my acne flared up and I felt my skin was greasy after using the product. I feel that this product is not strong enough to help unblock pores in acne prone individuals.

on 1/16/2013 5:36:00 PM

This probably gets a 2.5 from me. I just don't think it's quite right for my skin which is prone to clogged pores and hormonal breakouts - I feel the buttery texture might be contributing to an excess of congestion, and if not making my breakouts worse, it's obviously doing nothing to help them. It might be worth a try for those with dry skin - though I must note that it did nothing for my occasional dehydration/flaking. I do like the cloth method of cleansing though - I think I will keep using my cloth, but definitely with a different cleanser! Can't wait to finish this - it seems to be everlasting!!!

Packaging
Firstly, I love the packaging and infact the branding of Liz Earle products across the board. They look and feel sophisticated yet understated which I really like.

Cleanser
The product itself really is fantastic. The product glides well onto the skin and manages to dissolve make up with ease. Now here comes the clever part...the residue can be carefully and kindly soaked up and wiped away using the warm muslin cloth, which when massaged acts to also exfoliate the skin leaving you with a beautiful, soft and smooth skin surface.

Top marks!
Overall, this is an amazing product and would definitely feature towards the top of any 'desert island' wish list! I do feel for a cleaner it is a tad on the expensive side, but the quality of the product definitely justifies the price tag.

For a full review please visit my blog:

ME: 40s, generally good, combo skin with an oilier t-zone, slight redness on my cheeks, and occasionally very minor monthly breakouts on my chin.

I was using Emma Hardie cleansing balm and thought I'd give Liz Earle a try, since it is less expensive and more conveniently packaged in a pump instead of a tub. I used this for 3 months (daily). Like Emma Hardie, and Eve Lom, which I'm now using, the LE cleanser is used in combo with a muslin cloth. The cloth idea alone is the best thing I've done to my skin in years. My skin needs a lot of gentle exfoliation and the muslin cloths are fab. On to the LE cleanser itself.
PROS:
**I love the packaging, a hygienic pump that is great for travel as well. No mess and it pumps out the perfect amount for me.
**I love the smell of this - very eucalyptus-y.
**Despite the strong smell, this is VERY gentle on my eyes - it didn't sting them at all and wiped away all traces of my super long wearing Serge Lutens mascara. Yay!
**Made my skin feel incredibly soft.
CONS:
**Unfortunately, this made me SUPER oily. At first, I couldn't figure out why oil was practically gushing from the pores on my nose, and then I realized that LE was the ONLY new thing in my skin care/makeup regimen. After trying (and failing) too find a mattifier to control said oil, I switched cleansers (Eve Lom) and voila! No more oiliness.
**I think LE was also causing some painful, under the skin bumps on my chin.

Although it wasn't right for me, I DO think that LE is a nice product - for the right skin.

on 3/30/2012 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I live in the UK and have been using the C&P for years. It is the best cleansing product I have ever used. It really takes off all my makeup thoroughly although as I use waterproof mascara I use a separate eye makeup remover, only because I don't like the cloths getting so dirty. Otherwise the cleanser also removes all waterproof mascara.

on 1/24/2012 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was such a rubbish cleanser. I think the Cocoa Butter in the cleanser caused my pores to clog like there's no tomorrow. especially if I used it twice a day it made my skin condition worse. Not so great to be used very close to the eye area either. I dont even have clog prone skin. Would not repurchase.

on 12/29/2011 8:27:00 AM

Within minutes of application to my face smarting and redness followed
would not recomend if you have very sensative skin.

Popular Face Skincare Products