Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.8

Not tested on animals

on 2/2/2008 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was admittedly dubious about using Cleanse & Polish on my oily, pre-menstrually spotty skin after years of using foaming cleansers in repeatedly unsuccessful attempts to rid my skin of sebum and spots. After visiting Liz Earle's lovely, airy London shop, I brought home -- amongst (many) other things -- a 100mL airless pump bottle of her arguably most famous product, Cleanse & Polish. It came in a starter pack which included two pure muslin cloths to be used in conjunction with the cleanser. I've been doing a lot of reading which suggested that instead of battling sebum and spots with synthetic drying agents, sufferers of oily and acne prone skin ought to take a gentler, more natural approach to skincare. Liz Earle's products have helped significantly in this process, with excellent results.

Cleanse & Polish comes in several sizes (travel, 200mL squeeze tube, 100mL airless pump). I chose the airless pump dispenser as it was the most sanitary. One pump dispenses the right amount for my face, and the entire bottle is said to contain enough product for 66 applications. The cleanser is a white, luciously creamy concoction which I dot on my cheeks, forehead, nose and chin before taking two minutes to massage it into my face. The scent is heavenly, but with ingredients like cocoa butter, hops, rosemary, chamomile, sweet almond, and eucalyptus I would not expect anything less. I rub the cleanser into my skin until most of it is absorbed; it even removes mascara and eye makeup, and does not sting (although I leave the eye area till the very end so as to avoid smudging around mascara all over my face).

The second part of the cleansing process involves soaking the muslin cloth in a basin of warm-to-hot water and then polishing the excess cream off of the face using a gentle circular massaging motion. I have to say that this two step process takes about double the time that it would take to wash my face with a foaming cleanser in the shower, but I don't mind as it feels like a mini facial or pampering treat every time I cleanse. I follow this up with a splash of cool water, Liz Earle's Instant Boost Skin Tonic, and then Liz Earle's Skin Repair Light.

I've waited for over a month before writing this review and am thrilled with the results. It takes time, but my skin has responded very well to the cleanser (as well as Liz Earle's other products). My skin is left visibly glowing, healthy and smooth, and it has seriously calmed down my spots and post-acne marks. I never thought that I would be able to use cream based cleansers but I am now a believer in treating my skin more gently and giving it a bit of moisture instead of drying it out with anti-acne cleansers and forcing my skin to over-compensate in sebum production due to harsh ingredients. I live in Bermuda and if I can't get to London in time, I order directly from the website (www.lizearle.com) -- it is an amazingly simple site to use, the customer service is brilliant, and products arrive in impeccable condition (along with a free sample each time). If I could give this product a rating of six, I would.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried time and time again with this cleanser and it really doesn't work for me. In fact I blame it for my having being so lazy when cleansing my face!
As a regular Liz Earle customer over the years I have been sent numerous trial size Cleanse and Polishes, it being lauded as their top product. I've only ever found it OK but hey, it's Liz Earle, everybody raves about it so it must be good so I've carried on using it. People have also bought it for me as a gift ("she likes Liz Earle, she must like this!") hence it has been my cleanser for years-though the reality has been that I've actually been using makeup wipes rather than this most of the time! This has only really been used when I suddenly think "I really should take my skincare more seriously and cleanse properly". Then it's such a faff that after a day or so I return to the lazy girl's solution of makeup wipes.
My experience of using this is that if you use it to remove makeup the muslin cloth is filthy after one use so has to be machine washed so you have to have several cloths to hand. When I'm tired and off to bed the last thing I want to faff about with is a wet, dirty facecloth-don't want to put it in my laundry basket when wet (don't want damp smelling washing if I don't get chance to launder it next day) so what do I do with it? After several washes the cloths become less soft too.
The product itself is just OK (but apparently the [massively inconvenient] cloths are what make it so magical so that's to be expected?? It stings if it gets in your eyes (and invariably it gets in your eyes when you're trying to remove eye makeup) and afterwards my skin feels a bit tight like I've used soap and water. Not great for dry skin types like mine.
Even the pump dispenser clogs (though probably because I leave it so long between uses) and you lose product that has solidified when you press it when you first use it.
I've now given my skincare regime a complete overhaul, discovered a far superior cleanser (Clarins Pure Melt) and this product is now consigned to the bin!
I've given 2 lippies because it's never broken me out and surely, if it were so bad, I wouldn't have used it for so many years-though when I compare it to my newfound cleanser I wonder what the hell I was doing!

on 12/27/2014 7:54:00 PM

I wanted so badly to love this but it made my skin break out horribly! I used this consistently for 3 months because it can take a little while for my sensitive skin to adjust to new products, but by the end of the trial period my face was a cystic acne mess and It took months to get my skin back to it's original condition. Really disappointing.

Have been using all kind of cleansers over the years - milk, mousse, balm and more recently micellaire water, which I find horrible as it just does not clean no matter the brand, but nothing, absolutely nothing comes close to this. Not Eve Lom, not Ren (which I stll think makes very good products), not Dermalogica, not Clinique, Clarins and the likes. I would get OK results with a milk cleanser/Clarisonic combo but Cleans&Polish is more effective, more gentle, less time-consuming and easier to use. It removes mascara and eye shadow, it REALLY keeps pores junk-free and my skin colour looks more uniform.

Before my very first application, I got a facial done so I started off with clean skin. A month down the line, using it twice a day, and my pores are still clean and I couldn't ask for more.

EDIT - not realising that my second bottle was finishing (yep packaging isn't great), and given that in Italy I can only get it through mail order, I went and bought a very basic though delicate cleanser to use while waiting for my Cleans&Polish to arrive. I hate wasting products so I forced myself to use the cheap cleanser up (with LE cloth) before switching to Cleans&Polish again and... the results are as good! I really think that what we should be praising here is the cloth more than the product itself! Won't be purchasing Cleans&Polish again.

on 6/19/2011 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Generally very happy with this cleanser. During the first few days it did break me out a little in areas I had never broken out before, but that quickly went away, leaving my skin incredibly smooth, like glass; supple, cool and pore-less. The wondrous property of this product lies in this very fact: How long do these effects normally last? Not very long. Soon after cleansing, dry-skinned people need to moisturize or the complexion starts to feel tight, and oily women's skin starts producing oil again. As I fit in the first category, I can only vouch for this: My skin felt comfortable, without any dryness, forever. And by "forever" I mean a whole 48 hours without any moisturizer or other hydrating creams on (i.e. sunscreen), so it basically remained like this the entire time until the next wash, which in this case was long overdue. I was so very surprised by this fact, but moreover, this has been going on for months now. Meaning, my skin has never felt dry or tight or flaky again. It just seems comfortable, smooth and "independent" of outter factors for its happiness. This is unbelievable. I've tried so much in the past to make my skin feel a little better without constant care, and a cleanser is what finally did it. I bought my usual "loaded" moisturizer a while ago, and I haven't had to open it yet. Instead, I got my hands on a few moisturizer samples for normal/oily skin, and they fit me just fine. My skin is still far from oily, but since the light gels I tried were hydrating enough for the first time ever, that must mean it's turned at least pretty normal. This is a big relief and a wonderful, unexpected bonus from this new purchase. The muslin cloths that come with it deliver just the right amount of roughness and allow you to gently polish your skin every day, so you don't have to rub on harsh exfoliants anymore. At least that's how it's worked for me. I tossed all my abrasive, grainy pastes, and replaced them with this. Overall, nice packaging, very annoying scent. 4 lippies instead of 5 because I still get blemishes like I used to before I got into this one - I expected it to keep them somewhat at bay, and it hasn't, but maybe that's too much of me to ask. So yes, very satisfied with it indeed. Highly recommended.
UPDATE: This winter, as opposed to last year, my skin does feel slightly drier again, probably because it's gotten used to this product now. But to make up for that, this cleanser has now cleared up all my mild acne - it is remarkable how I wake up every morning after I've cleansed with this the previous evening; it just seems like my skin takes huge leaps of recovery each night thanks to this. Let's hope it doesn't get used to that effect too! 5 lippies, wholeheartedly. Will keep purchasing.

on 5/14/2008 11:33:00 AM

i used this for a few weeks and i started getting large red lumps and very sensitive and sore skin and i am normally combination and not sensitive. i thought at first it was another product but i then realised it was this. it took me weeks to get my skin back to how it was before i started using this cleanser. i think one of the factors of irritation is the eucalyptus this contains. i definately do not recommend this if you have roseaca or very sensitive skin. i also feel it does not clean your face very well. i also would not use near your eyes like they say is possible. i am really surprised that it keeps winning awards for best cleanser as i feel it is over rated. definately buy a small tube if you want to try this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

For those with sensitive skin, beware. This product is not for people with rosacea, despite the claims on the website saying that this works even for sensitive skin as long as you don't use the muslin to scrub or hot water. I did not use either but still ended up with an instantaneous severe rosacea flare-up that lasted well into the next day. I should have known the second I smelled that familiar Noxema smell. I don't understand why they include eucalyptus oil knowing it's an irritant with no real benefits. And if they're going to include it, why would they say it's OK for people with sensitive skin? Ugh. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the money to mail it back to the U.K.

This is a product I've come back to time and time again! I've tried other cleansers, but nothing at all is as fantastic as this.. I had a serious acne breakout over the summer from a Bare Minerals oil cleanser (which at first was amazing) but then this horrible breakout started, I stopped using this and repurchased the Liz Earle and low and behold cleared up my skin like a dream.. I won't be trying any other cleansers now, I've found "My" perfect cleanser and I'm sticking to it! This product removes everything and my skin feels so good, clean and fresh after using... its very pleasant to use and makeup goes on so well due to how smooth it makes my skin.. definitely a 5* from me... highly recommended..

on 10/18/2013 5:52:00 PM

I've been using this for over a year and I keep buying it as it really suits my skin. Not everything works for everyone but I find that it keeps my skin from drying out and I managed to get through the whole of last years harsh winter without developing any of the dry patches of skin that I usually get. Even my beautician commented that I had lovely clear skin. I buy it when Liz Earle has special offers or as part of their monthly deals to keep the cost down.